Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 309438 times)

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #160 on: August 6, 2012, 08:34:22 am »
...no Charlie Adam jokes in here yet?  :P

Would be funny as fuck if someone subtly photoshopped the Carling Cup final ball into one of those surface pictures.

Anyway thats beside the point. Seeing stuff like this is truly awe-inspiring.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2012, 08:40:34 am by Megasuperb »
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #161 on: August 6, 2012, 09:11:16 am »
Gold in the 560 billion meters!

Wow, such a complex mission and it's worked...

Staggering, really staggering.

Some feats of humanity astound me.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #162 on: August 6, 2012, 09:56:18 am »

it is like the shadow of Megatron on the moon in Transformers :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 6, 2012, 10:45:34 am »
From the blurb I've read, this machine could easily last up to 15 years.  Wonder if its within driving distance of Olympus Mons...?  ;)

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #164 on: August 6, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
From the blurb I've read, this machine could easily last up to 15 years.  Wonder if its within driving distance of Olympus Mons...?  ;)

Its got a plutonium powered core so pretty sure its got a chance at possibly going longer than 15 years

If the Voyager satellites can go to the edge of the solar system and still send back data after 34 years then this rover has surely got a chance

It really is an incredible achievement. So many have tried and failed at landing something on the surface of Mars safely. Now NASA have.

Now its time to really back them again. It truly is embarrassing to see how little resource NASA get to work with and yet they have to now hitchhike their people and experiments into space using other agencies and a premium cost.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2012, 10:53:04 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 6, 2012, 11:21:25 am »
it is like the shadow of Megatron on the moon in Transformers :D

Well we all know what happened to Beagle 2 ;)

Well done NASA, superb news.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #167 on: August 6, 2012, 12:38:40 pm »
When we start to get Hi-Res photos?
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #168 on: August 6, 2012, 01:02:43 pm »
I seen this on Breakfast this morning and it made me laugh seeing these proper smart people getting all geeky and excited; one turns to high-five a fella as that fella moves in for a man hug, then they stop, try to quickly switch and end up clunking limbs and heads. Repeat throughout the room.

Boss though, love this shit; imagine that being your job. I can’t wait to see the images from this for years to come.

Also, I must point out, there seemed to be the names of the scientists on the backs of the monitors and unless I am imagining it, a certain person in there was called Fuk U. Love scientists humour.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #169 on: August 6, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »
The twitter account is a good thing to follow.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #170 on: August 6, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
I seen this on Breakfast this morning and it made me laugh seeing these proper smart people getting all geeky and excited; one turns to high-five a fella as that fella moves in for a man hug, then they stop, try to quickly switch and end up clunking limbs and heads. Repeat throughout the room.

Boss though, love this shit; imagine that being your job. I can’t wait to see the images from this for years to come.

Also, I must point out, there seemed to be the names of the scientists on the backs of the monitors and unless I am imagining it, a certain person in there was called Fuk U. Love scientists humour.

Stop making shit up, you are imagining... His name is Fuk Li, not U, the Director for Mars Exploration at JPL... ;D

By the way, there were a lot of people on the NASA TV that were there for their 15 min of glory, but haven't done much for the mission. And there were some missing, such as Joy Crisp, another project scientist, who has made more important contributions than Grotzinger, IMHO. And in the deep corner of the room quietly sat the Mission Assurance manager, who spent tons of money fixing things. And Pete Teisinger, the MSL Manager, is the last of the Mohicans after Tom Gavin was forced into retirement... for a third time...

The landing was a great success, no doubt. But we are now about to see if the popularization of the event helped JPL and NASA in any way. rumour has it that around 350 people from the EDL (entry descent and landing) are awaiting pink slips... NASA has been screwing JPL big time for decades, but especially hard in the last 4 years, and let's see how the dust will settle with this one. If you ask me, fuck NASA; JPL should stand as a separate institution at get it's own funding from Congress. And that's not a unique opinion at JPL...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 6, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »
Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter snapped this whilst MSL was on the way down.  Amazing picture!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 6, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »
Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter snapped this whilst MSL was on the way down.  Amazing picture!  ;D

So thats a picture form a different planet, of a probe landing using a massive supersonic parachute.....

That's amazing....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #173 on: August 6, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
Any word on how soon we'll see colour photos?
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #174 on: August 6, 2012, 07:46:16 pm »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #175 on: August 7, 2012, 12:02:56 am »
Curiosity briefing due any minute: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
« Last Edit: August 7, 2012, 12:31:18 am by Thush »

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #176 on: August 7, 2012, 12:27:24 am »
Curiousity briefing due any minute: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Watching it now on Sky News.  Fascinating stuff.  Love the video they made out of photographs and linked together into a sort of stop motion movie of Curiosty landing.  I'm sure that will be posted on here soon.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #177 on: August 7, 2012, 12:39:14 am »
Sky News being total fucking wankers.  Talking over the press conference and going to ad breaks while live.  And not showing a bit of irony as she spoke all over it and couldn't here a word.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #178 on: August 7, 2012, 12:41:18 am »
The UStream HD stream is excellent. No breaks or interruptions.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 7, 2012, 12:56:05 am »
Quite excited about all this stuff.  Wonder how much further we would be if we stopped focusing on fighting each other and actually pooled resources together to actually help all this research and exploration.  Will never happen though unfortunately.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 7, 2012, 04:04:12 am »
Quite excited about all this stuff.  Wonder how much further we would be if we stopped focusing on fighting each other and actually pooled resources together to actually help all this research and exploration.  Will never happen though unfortunately.
I'd venture a guess... The entire budget of the NASA Planetary Science directorate is <1% of the Department of Defense budget... We'd have sent a human to Mars by now with that kind of money. But it won't happen, you're right.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #181 on: August 7, 2012, 07:43:07 am »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #182 on: August 7, 2012, 07:43:40 am »
It looks so normal and yet so alien.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #183 on: August 7, 2012, 08:30:22 am »
Fuck Mars. Go to Europa and Enceladus.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #184 on: August 7, 2012, 09:17:12 am »
Fuck Mars. Go to Europa and Enceladus.
yep, even Titan would be good
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 7, 2012, 09:28:32 am »
I'd venture a guess... The entire budget of the NASA Planetary Science directorate is <1% of the Department of Defense budget... We'd have sent a human to Mars by now with that kind of money. But it won't happen, you're right.
But rockets were pioneered by defence spending, as we're radar and countless other innovations....

Not all bad !
W

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 7, 2012, 09:54:38 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UcGMDXy-Y1I?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UcGMDXy-Y1I?version=3</a>

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 7, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
Looks like some of the signals sent from Curiosity during its decent were relayed from an ESA spacecraft (MEX) and then across our ground stations.

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMAKBVXF5H_index_0.html

Some amazing looking pics already and glad we could help in a fascinating mission :wave

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 7, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »
But rockets were pioneered by defence spending, as we're radar and countless other innovations....

Not all bad !
True mate. But at in the early 80s the electroninc industry worked for military and space markets - 80% share. Not that is less than 0.7%... No one wants to make radiation hard parts if they can do computer games... The electronic world has changed. And I don't want to change it back really be ause that would mean a global conflict

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #189 on: August 7, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
Welcome to Mars

The first colour image taken from the Curiosity Rover.

NASA ‏@NASA
Here is @MarsCuriosity's First Color Image of the Martian Landscape looking north http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/PIA15691.html #MSL

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #190 on: August 7, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »
kin hell, have they installed instagram filters on the rover's camera? :P
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 7, 2012, 05:38:57 pm »
Gale crater looks like a giant nipple.

Popcorn's Art

Offline American_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA. JFT96.
« Reply #192 on: August 7, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »
kin hell, have they installed instagram filters on the rover's camera? :P

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple are trying right now to commercialize the Mars exploration.
YNWA - JFT96. I have an unhealthy obsession with Xabi Alonso. Don't tell my girlfriend.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 8, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »

Not all bad !

And more or less every nuclear reactor in the world is the bad kind (producing highly-radioactive waste) because the Navy got to choose which reactor technology to invest in and oddly enough, they chose the kind that produces weapons-grade isotopes as a by-product.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #194 on: August 8, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 8, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »
Sky have a crane on mars?

Is there anywhere them b*stards have not meddled in

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 8, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 8, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
WOW...  (not sure if its from the recent mission though)

http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html
« Last Edit: August 8, 2012, 05:20:05 pm by -Nay- »

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 8, 2012, 05:17:30 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 8, 2012, 05:26:19 pm »
Despite the mind blowing, enormously staggering tak of getting a probe to mars and the wonder of the technology used to return them in such stunning detail......

Mars isn't the most intersting place to look at is it :(
W