Author Topic: Telescopes  (Read 33059 times)

Offline BornaRED

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Telescopes
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2014, 05:35:17 pm »
Im not familiar with your set up plus Im still a novice myself.   i would go on a few forums and have a good read plenty of advice out there if you get stuck.  Also  get an app  for your phone makes scanning the skies easier,  i only have google sky but as mentioned above sky safari comes with good reviews. some useful sights :-
http://stargazerslounge.com/
http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/
http://www.astronomyforum.net/forum.php 
http://www.cloudynights.com/index/

Also what you see in magazines and on the tele may not be what appears in your eye piece most pictures are processed in photo shop etc to bring out more detail. 

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 05:58:16 am »
Lol I realised that. It's not as straight forward. Still waiting for clearer skies. Going to start with the moon first and then try look else where.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2014, 08:04:41 am »
Got a Tal 1M that I haven't used for years. Great bit of kit, weighs a ton which makes it very stable,  and motorised. There's a selection of lenses and filters. You get amazing views of the moon and planets.

Up for sale, if anyone's interested PM me before I stick it on eBay.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Weescotty

• Main Stander
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »
@boots - GOTO Dobs have been available down here in Oz for about a year now.

That Jessops one is toilet, the max mag they list is WAY too high....

Max useful mag for a telescope is about 2 x the aperture in mm. You 'may' be able to push higher on a really good night.

Read this for an explanation...
http://www.telescopeking.com/guides/telescope-power-calculators/#mag

In order of best bang for your buck -
Dobsonians
Reflector
Refractor

Picked up a Skywatcher SW500S a year or so ago for 250AUD, spent a lot more on it since then!
Eyepieces, filters, motor focus, motors for the mount etc etc.
Next upgrade will be based on hacking a standard ST4 connector to the motors then connecting it via USB to a laptop for guiding.

Oh, a must for astro photography (and it's free) - registax
Take a video or multi images then stack them to get the best overall image.

Another bit of advice - get a laser collimator and check your scope. Plenty vids on youtube explaining how to do it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:37:27 pm by Weescotty »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 4, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »
Bump.

Looking to finally get my very first 'scope and the Celestron 130EQ-MD (the motorised one) is staring out at me after doing a little research, £119 everywhere seemingly (I'll pick it up from Currys)

Saw further back in the topic that people had looked at it.  Did anyone go for it and what are your experiences?  Probably going to order it tonight.  Ideally I'd have liked to have gotten a scope that'd have given me better views of galaxies but I don't think I'll get that on my budget of sub-£150.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 6, 2015, 11:25:47 pm »
Saturn is out and clearly visible from liverpool tonight with no clouds.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »
If any of the star watching guys are about I wonder if you'd give me your opinion on a first telescope for a 5 year old and his dad. I've narrowed it down to the following, budget under £100ish. Cheers!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-70eq.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Travel-Scope-70-Telescope/dp/B001TI9Y2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449786227&sr=8-2&keywords=travelscope+70
Football is a lie

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2015, 03:12:06 pm »
If any of the star watching guys are about I wonder if you'd give me your opinion on a first telescope for a 5 year old and his dad. I've narrowed it down to the following, budget under £100ish. Cheers!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-70eq.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Travel-Scope-70-Telescope/dp/B001TI9Y2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449786227&sr=8-2&keywords=travelscope+70

If it's your first one, I'd seriously advise you to get a decent pair of lightweight binoculars - much wider view, much easier to use and if you get the 'bug' then you can move onto a telescope.

OR you could get some proper astronomy binocs, but if you do - make sure you get a proper stand for them.

I've got a very powerful set on a stand and a telescope, but hardly use the telescope these days as the binocs are easily good enough for what I want to use them for.

The advanages with a good pair of binocs is that they are easy to use, the image is the right away up, you get a much, much wider view - you can use them to spot and work out how to star-hop until you know the night sky well - this is much harder to do using a telescope and often the magnification is too high - so unless you know what you're looking at (Upside down!) then you're likely to get lost and end up just looking at a load of random dots that you can't identify.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:13:38 pm by Festive User Name @ Allerton »
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »
If it's your first one, I'd seriously advise you to get a decent pair of lightweight binoculars - much wider view, much easier to use and if you get the 'bug' then you can move onto a telescope.

OR you could get some proper astronomy binocs, but if you do - make sure you get a proper stand for them.

I've got a very powerful set on a stand and a telescope, but hardly use the telescope these days as the binocs are easily good enough for what I want to use them for.

The advanages with a good pair of binocs is that they are easy to use, the image is the right away up, you get a much, much wider view - you can use them to spot and work out how to star-hop until you know the night sky well - this is much harder to do using a telescope and often the magnification is too high - so unless you know what you're looking at (Upside down!) then you're likely to get lost and end up just looking at a load of random dots that you can't identify.

Sound advice. In have got a decent pair of binoculars which are great for a spot of moon gazing, but unfortunately they don't have a pin for mounting onto a stand. I borrowed a pretty basic telescope from my Dad recently to use with my kids, and the difference in image quality was negligible - just steadier on the tripod.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2015, 03:37:15 pm »
Sound advice. In have got a decent pair of binoculars which are great for a spot of moon gazing, but unfortunately they don't have a pin for mounting onto a stand. I borrowed a pretty basic telescope from my Dad recently to use with my kids, and the difference in image quality was negligible - just steadier on the tripod.

I got my binocs on that shop on Dale Street 15 x 70 and I use a standard camera stand (Propped on bricks) with a bag hanging off it for stability.

Get some lovely views and the magnification is pretty good - you can easily see the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter - those even impressed the missus!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:40:25 pm by Festive User Name @ Allerton »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2015, 08:56:31 am »
I got my binocs on that shop on Dale Street 15 x 70 and I use a standard camera stand (Propped on bricks) with a bag hanging off it for stability.

Get some lovely views and the magnification is pretty good - you can easily see the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter - those even impressed the missus!

Andy, earlier in the thread you mentioned filters to take away streetlights. I've just had a telescope for Christmas and tried it out in the backyard the other night, but I have yellow streetlights and other sources pretty near me. What's right for me? It's no big hassle to find a completely dark spot where I live, but it would be nice to be able to gaze from my back yard sometimes, especially if I want to show the kids.

I have a SkyWatcher Mercury 705. 2 eyepieces included, 10mm and 25 mm. I was thinking to get a 3,6mm which gives the largest magnification this scope can give (140x). Also thinking about getting an optical finder instead of the red dot one.

Anything else you'd recommend for a complete beginner?
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:30 am »
Andy, earlier in the thread you mentioned filters to take away streetlights. I've just had a telescope for Christmas and tried it out in the backyard the other night, but I have yellow streetlights and other sources pretty near me. What's right for me? It's no big hassle to find a completely dark spot where I live, but it would be nice to be able to gaze from my back yard sometimes, especially if I want to show the kids.

I have a SkyWatcher Mercury 705. 2 eyepieces included, 10mm and 25 mm. I was thinking to get a 3,6mm which gives the largest magnification this scope can give (140x). Also thinking about getting an optical finder instead of the red dot one.

Anything else you'd recommend for a complete beginner?

Hi mate - they've got rid of the yellow streetlights around us and replaced them with white ones that use less energy.

There are several eye pieces that can reduce the effects. Some are simply 'Light pollution filters' that reduce the light pollution in the air (By er, filtering it out :) )

This gives you an idea of what they are - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/skywatcher-light-pollution-filter.html

Click on each one for more info.

You can also get filters that are keyed to the planets - so that they enhance the colour of the planet and reduce the other lightwaves - the upshot is that you get a much brighter, clearer picture of the planet you're looking at - you can also get galaxy filters and the like.

The yellow streetlights are known as "low Pressure sodium" and 'High-pressure sodium" here is a good site that explains what that means and what you can do about it : http://www.astronexus.com/gatfaq/light-pollution-filters

I'm not really an expert on finderscopes, but I've got a cheap Celestron that had a crappy red light piece of crap on it and replaced it with a Sky Surfer V which is excellent - it's bloody massive and makes finding stuff an absolute joy

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-40mm-sky-surfer-v-red-dot-finderscope.html

There are plenty of alternatives though if you look around

Happy star gazing and clear skies mate :)

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2015, 11:42:27 am »
Thanks a bunch Andy, really appreciate it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 5, 2016, 04:56:10 pm »
I got a telescope "for my son" for Christmas and Ive had it out only once due to overcast clouds but the time I did I was amazed by the amount of stars that suddenly appear when aimed at random spots in the sky. There was no moon at the time and my Star app on the tablet told me all the planets were over the horizon, so it was just stars on that occasion.

This is my first telescope and Im a total noob to it. I would like to plan my stargazing abit better instead of just randomly popping out when the sky is clear and seeing whats about, although that's cool too.  Im reading about how theres different times in the year are better for seeing different planets as they'll be closer in orbit etc. So whats the best way that I can plan ahead? Is there anything that gives you a heads up in advance that say, Jupiter will be visible from 10pm-3am on 10th January for example? Is there a calendar for the UK, is there such a thing? Or is there an app or something?

Cheers guys.
Football is a lie

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: January 5, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »
I got a telescope "for my son" for Christmas and Ive had it out only once due to overcast clouds but the time I did I was amazed by the amount of stars that suddenly appear when aimed at random spots in the sky. There was no moon at the time and my Star app on the tablet told me all the planets were over the horizon, so it was just stars on that occasion.

This is my first telescope and Im a total noob to it. I would like to plan my stargazing abit better instead of just randomly popping out when the sky is clear and seeing whats about, although that's cool too.  Im reading about how theres different times in the year are better for seeing different planets as they'll be closer in orbit etc. So whats the best way that I can plan ahead? Is there anything that gives you a heads up in advance that say, Jupiter will be visible from 10pm-3am on 10th January for example? Is there a calendar for the UK, is there such a thing? Or is there an app or something?

Cheers guys.

use stellarium, if you set your location you can then fast forward it to see what will be viewable at any date & time

the early hours in the morning should be great right now, from 6.30am ish you should be able to see saturn, venus, mars & jupiter, i think on thursday morning you'll be able to see the moon, saturn & venus in a triangle in the eastern sky just before dawn, this weekend saturn will overtake venus in the sky so saturday morning you might be able to see it emerging from behind venus
« Last Edit: January 5, 2016, 06:05:12 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 5, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
use stellarium, if you set your location you can then fast forward it to see what will be viewable at any date & time

the early hours in the morning should be great right now, from 6.30am ish you should be able to see saturn, venus, mars & jupiter, i think on thursday morning you'll be able to see the moon, saturn & venus in a triangle in the eastern sky just before dawn, this weekend saturn will overtake venus in the sky so saturday morning you might be able to see it emerging from behind venus

Can you get Stellarium on Android?
Football is a lie

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 5, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
Can you get Stellarium on Android?

yeah but you have to pay for it, you could try google sky map which is free for identifying stars/planets but don't think you can use it for planning ahead

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 5, 2016, 11:03:56 pm »
yeah but you have to pay for it, you could try google sky map which is free for identifying stars/planets but don't think you can use it for planning ahead

Dead on mate, thanks.
Football is a lie

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #98 on: January 6, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

Cheers guys.

Download Google Sky Map for free and you can then hold your phone up to the sky and see what's up there (As Fish mentioned before, it's free)

I've also got Mobile Observatory on my Android phone - an excellent app with Live Skymap (Like Google Sky) and all the events and stuff for your exact GPS Location. This only costs £3.56 and is updated regularly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kreappdev.astroid

I've got the SkyX Serious Edition - and you can hook that to certain telescopes and directly control it from your laptop/Desktop.

http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/TheSkyXSAE.aspx

But this probably costs way more than you'd be willing to pay:

The advantage with the apps for Phones/Tablets is that they give GPS Location data and take the stress out of finding out what stuff is up there in the Sky and you can carry it with you when you are in the garden or wandering.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2016, 11:41:02 am by Koala @ Allerton »

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 8, 2016, 12:55:17 pm »
Download Google Sky Map for free and you can then hold your phone up to the sky and see what's up there (As Fish mentioned before, it's free)

I've also got Mobile Observatory on my Android phone - an excellent app with Live Skymap (Like Google Sky) and all the events and stuff for your exact GPS Location. This only costs £3.56 and is updated regularly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kreappdev.astroid

I've got the SkyX Serious Edition - and you can hook that to certain telescopes and directly control it from your laptop/Desktop.

http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/TheSkyXSAE.aspx

But this probably costs way more than you'd be willing to pay:

The advantage with the apps for Phones/Tablets is that they give GPS Location data and take the stress out of finding out what stuff is up there in the Sky and you can carry it with you when you are in the garden or wandering.

Class thanks Andy. The above photo is really what Im after at this stage. Is that off the Mobile Observatory?

Also with this scope...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TI9Y2M?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=560834&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=photo&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

....what planets and moons do you think should it be able to see?

Cheers!  :wave

Football is a lie

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 8, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
Class thanks Andy. The above photo is really what Im after at this stage. Is that off the Mobile Observatory?

Also with this scope...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TI9Y2M?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=560834&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=photo&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

read a few reviews on an astronomy site and someone said they had a good view of jupiter & 5 of it's moons and could clearly make out some of the different cloud bands (comes over the horizon around 10pm at the moment and is impossible to miss) venus & mars should be no problem, not sure about saturn, you'll be able to see it but no idea what details you'll be able to see, you could try looking any time after 6am if you're up, it'll be pretty close to venus so should be easy to find

the only real complaint i've read about that scope is the tripod

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 9, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »
read a few reviews on an astronomy site and someone said they had a good view of jupiter & 5 of it's moons and could clearly make out some of the different cloud bands (comes over the horizon around 10pm at the moment and is impossible to miss) venus & mars should be no problem, not sure about saturn, you'll be able to see it but no idea what details you'll be able to see, you could try looking any time after 6am if you're up, it'll be pretty close to venus so should be easy to find

the only real complaint i've read about that scope is the tripod

Cheers. Yeah I've noticed the tripod is bit wobbly so may upgrade that once I get !more familiar with everything. Think the main problem at the moment is getting a clear night sky!
Football is a lie

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 9, 2016, 05:14:56 pm »
yeah it's pretty grim at the moment, on the plus side you'll be able to see jupiter until early/middle july (maybe a bit later) and saturn and mars should be viewable well into september so plenty of time to get out to see them

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2016, 01:08:30 pm »

Also with this scope...

Pretty much what Fish said.

Even with my 15 x 70 Astronomy Binocs I can clearly see Saturns' rings and the Moons of Jupiter.

As long as you're realistic and don't fall for the glorious images of planets you see on the box, then you should be fairly happy. For most planets, they'll mainly look like a bright star, or if you're lucky you'll be able to make out the disc.

If you go out early or late and look towards where the sun is rising (or falling) then if you look fairly high (So the suns rays are going up past the horizon) then you'll notice quite a few 'blinking' things whizzing across the sky - these are satellites catching the last (or first) rays of the sun as they spin across their orbits - it's always something I enjoy watching.

Also, keep an eye out for the ISS as occasionally it'll pass within viewing range of your house - this fairly zooms across the sky and is a very, very, very bright looking star.

You can also keep an eye out for comets. Also if you're patient, every night you'll see 'shooting stars' as they graze the atmosphere. If you look towards the 'active' meteor zones like the Perseids, Geminids etc. then you'll see tons more meteors) - These things are named by the Constellation that they appear to come 'from' in the Sky. For instance the Perseids appear to come from the Perseus Constellation, The Geminids appear to come from the Gemini Constellation - they are actually trails of dust (usually left by comets) that the Earth touches as it orbits the sun - so that's why they seem to come from the same place). These don't happen all the time though, but your app (or a search on the Internet) can let you know what times/months/dates are best to try and see them.

These are a decent site to gear up for viewing them as they happen:

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide#lyrids
http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-current.html

There is a non-periodic comet passing over at the moment Catalina C/2013 US10, for instance (You can find it in the Mobile Observatory App) if you're in the Northern Hemisphere. The data and information in the Mobile Observatory App is simply astonishing. Gives you all the Information about any object in the sky (using a multitude of databases),  The physical data such as Magnificaton and phase angle, The Orbital elements, The visibility (Graphically by time and also by Month)  a graphical representation of how to find it in the sky with a telescope (or your eyes) and you can also hold your device up and it'll guide you to it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:49:52 pm by Koala @ Allerton »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2016, 03:20:13 pm »
Try again :)

That first article was bobbins, had it near The Big Dipper (Ursa Major) but checking on my astronomy software, it's going to be actually best seen around dawn towards the South-South-East.

06:30 in the morning is about the best time and you should also be able to see Mars beneath and to the South at that time as well, plus Jupiter to the West.

So, at around 06:30, face to the South, then look 'left' a bit (That's the SSE).

You can check you're in about the right place by using your phone app to confirm where it is (C/2013 US10 - Catalina) and if you look above it, you'll see the 'tail' of Ursa Major (The Great Bear or the Big Dipper) pointing down towards it - if you follow where the 'tail is pointing and draw a line down, the comet will be slightly to the right, roughly the same distance (plus a bit) down as the Ursa Major star Mizar is away from Alkaid (The two last stars in the 'tail')

I've attached a picture to show you what I mean. The red circle is the location of the comet at about 06:30. The view is assuming Liverpool in the UK.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:50:35 pm by Koala @ Allerton »

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2016, 08:30:58 pm »
Awesome info, cheers!  Gonna try and get up early tomorrow morning and hope it's clear and maybe see the comet and maybe a planet.

http://earthsky.org/space/comet-catalina-c2013-us10-november-december-january-2015-2016#where

Quite clear now so gonna take it out for a spin later, opportunities have been severely limited so far so will be good to get used to actually using the thing. And I've read that it's super important to give it some time for your eyes to adjust to the dark so you see more and that even a text on your phone will reset it. Didn't really do any of that last time so will be interesting to see how much more I can see if I give it a while to adjust.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:32:39 pm by bobadicious »
Football is a lie

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »
Just got that Mobie Observatory app. It's immense! Very very informative. Thanks!
Football is a lie

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2016, 10:01:48 pm »
Awesome info, cheers!  Gonna try and get up early tomorrow morning and hope it's clear and maybe see the comet and maybe a planet.

http://earthsky.org/space/comet-catalina-c2013-us10-november-december-january-2015-2016#where

Quite clear now so gonna take it out for a spin later, opportunities have been severely limited so far so will be good to get used to actually using the thing. And I've read that it's super important to give it some time for your eyes to adjust to the dark so you see more and that even a text on your phone will reset it. Didn't really do any of that last time so will be interesting to see how much more I can see if I give it a while to adjust.

If you're using astronomy software, you can set it to 'red light mode' - as red light is less damaging to your night vision. You can also get a red-light torch (or get some red cellophane  and attach it to the torch)

You can also download red-light software for your phone that changes the whole scheme to red and black.

Obviously if searching for "Red Light" be careful now, Ted ;)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2016, 10:03:23 pm »
Just got that Mobie Observatory app. It's immense! Very very informative. Thanks!

You're welcome, I'm sure the other ones will be as good, but I've been using that one for years and it's got so much info in it, you can tap on any of the objects and it gives you loads of detail, plus you can see what's best tonight and if you're on an object, holding the phone up shows an arrow you can move about until you're looking at it ;)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2016, 04:39:01 pm »
There's a great channel on YouTube, Astronomy and Nature TV which has helped me immensely to get started with my skywatching. It features a British fella called Robert Dalby, who's involved in a Swedish online store where my fiancee bought the scope for me. He's also one of the founders for Astro Engineering, if anyone knows it.

To get to the point, I was looking to get another eyepiece or two, so emailed them some questions. Dalby phoned me up later the same day and gave me a crash course and recommended what eyepieces to buy. I ended up getting a super Plössel 7.5mm and a dual speed Barlow lens. Last night I took the telescope out in -16C and watched the new moon with my new gear. Absolutely blown away with what I saw. Later in the evening I looked at the Orion nebula through my binoculars and it got me very excited to see it through my telescope.

Feels like I've started something that I will do as long as I live.

edit: As for apps, I use one called SkyView which I find very good. I do need to calibrate the phone so the compass is right, but it's very easy. I will check out the Mobile Observatory too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:43:33 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2016, 10:31:43 pm »
Not sure how good this android app is, but it is the App of the Week this week on sale for 10p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vitotechnology.StarWalk2
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2016, 11:50:43 am »
Any celestial events coming up worth looking out for in the northern hemisphere? Or planets visible.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2016, 12:40:05 pm »
Any celestial events coming up worth looking out for in the northern hemisphere? Or planets visible.

mars will be bang on south at 11pm uk time with saturn a few degrees to the east of it and jupiter will be in the west

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »
Anyone got images of planets you see looking through the telescope. Will give me an idea what to expect?

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:07 pm »
Will try and get a few next time im using it. You can see jupiter as an actual sphere with 4 moons most of the times ive looked. Its pretty cool. I have pretty bad light pollution in my garden so if it was darker im sure id see it with more clarity. Can also see saturns rings easy enough. Need to get myself some light filters

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2016, 01:31:17 am »
I've currently got a skywatcher 705. Can only see a dot for Jupiter and mars(red dot).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:56 am »
mars will be bang on south at 11pm uk time with saturn a few degrees to the east of it and jupiter will be in the west

Thanks mate.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:13 am »
I've currently got a skywatcher 705. Can only see a dot for Jupiter and mars(red dot).

I've got the same one. First time, I only saw Jupiter as a bright round spot too. 2nd time I saw the 4 moons. 3rd time I saw the moons and the two main cloudbands. Jupiter will look different every time and you'll need some patience at the eyepiece as you might not see anything special for a long time, then BANG, you'll have a great view for a few minutes. Viewing conditions are vital and the elevation of the planet as well. The higher it is, the better the view it seems.

Also, don't have too high expectations about what you'll see. We only have a small scope so many of the pics you see of it, we'll never experience through the 705.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
I've got the same one. First time, I only saw Jupiter as a bright round spot too. 2nd time I saw the 4 moons. 3rd time I saw the moons and the two main cloudbands. Jupiter will look different every time and you'll need some patience at the eyepiece as you might not see anything special for a long time, then BANG, you'll have a great view for a few minutes. Viewing conditions are vital and the elevation of the planet as well. The higher it is, the better the view it seems.

Also, don't have too high expectations about what you'll see. We only have a small scope so many of the pics you see of it, we'll never experience through the 705.

Everytime I've looked I've only see a dot, a couple of times small dots around it.
Where abouts do you live if you do t mind me asking?

The telescope is still worth it when you get to see the moon in all its glory.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2016, 08:02:31 am »

This is an image of Mars which I get