Author Topic: Telescopes  (Read 33064 times)

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Telescopes
« Reply #40 on: November 1, 2011, 09:12:07 pm »
This is the one I got and where I got it. Although it never included the motor back then (!)

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonianreflectors/explorer130incramotor.html

Check this thread to see some of what I can see with it. Also be aware that the photos and videos don't represent the quality of the naked eye as I don't have loads of fancy dan photography equipment, just a cheap webcam.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=72798.120

It's a damn fine piece of kit, especially for the price. It's regarded as one of the best "starter" scopes going for beginners (like me).

Is it easy to take photo's through a telescope with a DSLR?
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 1, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »
Is it easy to take photo's through a telescope with a DSLR?

Couldn't tell you mate. Never done it. I got a webcam, took the lense out, put a specially designed eyepiece on it that fits it directly into the telescope's eyepiece and take pics that way. I'm not sure if you can get eyepieces that connect a DSLR to a scope. I'd guess so.

Otherwise you are looking at holding the camera up to the lens and that is a total bitch to do.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 1, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »
Couldn't tell you mate. Never done it. I got a webcam, took the lense out, put a specially designed eyepiece on it that fits it directly into the telescope's eyepiece and take pics that way. I'm not sure if you can get eyepieces that connect a DSLR to a scope. I'd guess so.

Otherwise you are looking at holding the camera up to the lens and that is a total bitch to do.

Just found a quick guide, you can connect the DSLR using T-mounts, then you use the cameras viewfinder as the eyepiece.

Offline WooltonDave

• Best car driver in Woolton. According to himself.
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: November 2, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »
Iphone App - Skyview - cost one 2pound 50.

Awesome. tells you where all the stars, constellations and planets are above or below the horizon and also tells you where the Hubble telescope and the ISS is. Used to track and show Shuttle launches and landings too.
"He's got a kiss from a man wearing a blue and white shirt".............Quasimodo............Lady Killer.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #44 on: November 2, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »

Awesome. tells you where all the stars, constellations and planets are above or below the horizon and also tells you where the Hubble telescope and the ISS is. Used to track and show Shuttle launches and landings too.

'kinell, seems only like yesterday I'd go out into the back garden armed with me Observers guide to the stars and planets and a torch!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #45 on: November 2, 2011, 02:09:32 pm »
I'd get a good set of binoculars instead with a tripod. There are ones that are set up specifically for astronomy. I have 2 scopes and I find it's much handier to grab the bins and view rather than have the hassle of hauling scopes around the place.

Yeah I've got Astronomy Binoculars with a tripod mount. They are spot on - and you can take them on holiday as well. They are fantastic when you're away from light sources.

I love you all. Even Mancs x

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 2, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »

I have StarWalk and SkySafari which both do exactly the same as that. Genius apps they are.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #47 on: November 3, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 3, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »
Does anyone know of decent site that gives accurate cloud cover forecasts?

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 3, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »
Any tips for using bins and scopes with glasses and poor eyesight?

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 3, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Any tips for using bins and scopes with glasses and poor eyesight?

Flip the rubber eyepiece thing out. I mean in. Err... so it's flat. Fold it back, that's the one. As for the poor eyesight... get some kit with good zoom?

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 3, 2011, 06:21:48 pm »
Flip the rubber eyepiece thing out. I mean in. Err... so it's flat. Fold it back, that's the one. As for the poor eyesight... get some kit with good zoom?

I haven't got a scope at the mo, I am using binoculars and finding it very hard.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 3, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
They have the rubber eyepieces I'm on about; scopes don't. Does you know what I is meaning? Optician might be able to advise if you have a prescription for glasses.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 3, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »
They have the rubber eyepieces I'm on about; scopes don't. Does you know what I is meaning? Optician might be able to advise if you have a prescription for glasses.

I does knows whats you meaning!

Yeah I have a prescription.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 3, 2011, 10:15:07 pm »
Yeah I've got Astronomy Binoculars with a tripod mount. They are spot on - and you can spy on the neighbours with them too.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55 on: November 3, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 3, 2011, 10:52:44 pm »
And they aren't upside down :D

Always a bonus!

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 5, 2011, 02:44:52 pm »

I have just bought a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD, £148.30 brand new form Amazon!

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 6, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
I have just bought a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD, £148.30 brand new form Amazon!

A wise choice I think Sir.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 08:20:21 pm »
This is my very first attempt at astrophotography, please bare in mind that I am not using a barlow lens, my T mounts haven't arrived and it is just a basic compact digital camera.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »
Looks great that Bondred. Well done if thats you holding a cam up to the eyepiece. That's a fucking hard thing to do. I was out tonight as well. I managed to see the colours of Jupiter's clouds. Amazing.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:47 pm »
Looks great that Bondred. Well done if thats you holding a cam up to the eyepiece. That's a fucking hard thing to do. I was out tonight as well. I managed to see the colours of Jupiter's clouds. Amazing.

Yup, no barlow, normal crappy eye pieces and holding a crappy compact camera to the lens.

When my T-mounts arrive I will be able to use my DSLR!

I did look at Jupiter tonight, but without the barlow it wasn't very good.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »
Yup, no barlow, normal crappy eye pieces and holding a crappy compact camera to the lens.

When my T-mounts arrive I will be able to use my DSLR!

I did look at Jupiter tonight, but without the barlow it wasn't very good.

:champ Bluidy awesome those, bluidy awesome.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:05 am »
Got a 200p Dobsonian SkyWatcher. £250 a while ago with eyepieces and that, best money I've spent for a long time.

Seeing the Great Red Spot ( I think) and the four moons of Jupiter, all at once from our garden genuinely gave me chills.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #64 on: January 5, 2012, 02:15:15 am »
Got a 200p Dobsonian SkyWatcher. £250 a while ago with eyepieces and that, best money I've spent for a long time.

Seeing the Great Red Spot ( I think) and the four moons of Jupiter, all at once from our garden genuinely gave me chills.

I'm interested in buying a telescope myself. However, how easy are they to operate/find certain planets?

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 5, 2012, 09:04:32 am »
I'm interested in buying a telescope myself. However, how easy are they to operate/find certain planets?

Depends on how seriously you approach it mate. If you are just after a bit of casual star-gazing then there are some very decent telescopes available these days for £150-200, and that hasn't always been the case. You can operate these 'by hand' so to speak, which involves finding the object you want to observe in the finderscope and then moving the telescope manually so the object stays in the field of view. Alternatively you can buy a telescope with a motor drive which enables it to follow objects automatically as they move across the night sky.
 Once you get familiar with the night sky and various constellations you'll have no problems finding your way around, and if you live somewhere with little light pollution then that's a bonus. Same with the planets...Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn can be found fairly easily with the naked eye if you know where to look, I'd imagine there are plenty of places on the web these days that will tell you where to find them. Mercury and the outer planets are more difficult and to be honest if you haven't got a fairly large telescope then they aren't that interesting.
 I reckon the telescope Bondred treated himself to would do you fine to begin with, just don't buy one of those cheapo Argos jobs because you'll only end up disappointed.

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #66 on: January 5, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »
Depends on how seriously you approach it mate. If you are just after a bit of casual star-gazing then there are some very decent telescopes available these days for £150-200, and that hasn't always been the case. You can operate these 'by hand' so to speak, which involves finding the object you want to observe in the finderscope and then moving the telescope manually so the object stays in the field of view. Alternatively you can buy a telescope with a motor drive which enables it to follow objects automatically as they move across the night sky.
 Once you get familiar with the night sky and various constellations you'll have no problems finding your way around, and if you live somewhere with little light pollution then that's a bonus. Same with the planets...Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn can be found fairly easily with the naked eye if you know where to look, I'd imagine there are plenty of places on the web these days that will tell you where to find them. Mercury and the outer planets are more difficult and to be honest if you haven't got a fairly large telescope then they aren't that interesting.
 I reckon the telescope Bondred treated himself to would do you fine to begin with, just don't buy one of those cheapo Argos jobs because you'll only end up disappointed.

Many Thanks

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »
That's exactly what i bought my son for his 15th yesterday on his request. £120 and he's happy with it. I don't know the first thing about astronomy or star gazing but any tips for a 15 year old amateur would be gratefully  received.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:11 am »
Well his first attempt last night revealed 4 moons around Jupiter which was a surprise. Much better quality than i had expected.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #70 on: January 2, 2013, 08:12:33 am »
Bump.

Is this any good for a complete newb?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/jessops/800-80-astronomical-telescope-75447/show.html?cm_mmc=td-_-affiliate_name-_-advert_id-_-17211&tduid=d9d73d80bfd32e8cfdcbbb291298b6ae&url=http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/jessops/800-80-astronomical-telescope-75447/show.html?cm_mmc=td-_-affiliate_name-_-advert_id-_-17211

Seems like a very good deal.

My grandad gave me something similar before xmas, except it's years old! The scope on the top works fine but the lens I struggle with. Admittedly I only tried it for the first time last night which wasnt the best of nights.

I've never used one before so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated too!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 2, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »
I've always fancied getting one and after reading this thread last night I reckon I'm of to get one later this year.

Did a bit of research last night and as far as I'm able to tell the Dobsonian sky watcher series seem to offer the best value for money and ease of use for newbs.

Think I might go for the 200p, 8 inch one like Jimmy Corkhill's got.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-parabolic-telescope-p-8455.html

Just one question what do you mount it on if your stood in your garden or a field etc?
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #72 on: January 2, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »
Stear clear of Tasco telescopes theyre rubbish. Please be aware that £200 isnt going to buy you much. Plus you need to buy lens's. Lens's can cost more than £200 easily. Note - Tele Vue, these are some of the best money can buy. But buy Meade series 4000 lens. Theyre good value.

But I have a Meade 105ETX which is great as its small and transportable. I also have a 10" newtonian i built myself which worked out more bloody expensive than buying one. Check out Orion Optics. It was very interesting to build though and I learnt loads. Its quite easy. The money is in the mirrors. My tube is just concrete forming carboard tubing. http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/

I also bought a Vixen 60mm refractor on fleabay for £40. Works a treat for planetary observations. Vixen are good japanese stuff. Theyre lens are ok too for us novice types.

Note astronomy isnt cheap. It may be better to put the money into a really good set of 10x70 binoculars and a tripod.

Note the link to jessops telescope is complete garbage. Dont go near Jessops shite. Try these instead. http://www.green-witch.com/

« Last Edit: January 2, 2013, 04:03:19 pm by boots »
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 3, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »
I've always fancied getting one and after reading this thread last night I reckon I'm of to get one later this year.

Did a bit of research last night and as far as I'm able to tell the Dobsonian sky watcher series seem to offer the best value for money and ease of use for newbs.

Think I might go for the 200p, 8 inch one like Jimmy Corkhill's got.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-parabolic-telescope-p-8455.html

Just one question what do you mount it on if your stood in your garden or a field etc?
Dobsonian scopes don't really mount on anything. They are attached to a round base like a table, and float on a disc that you rotate round. That particular dob you posted is massive. It's a lot bigger than what you'd expect it to be, so you just plonk it down on it's base and it stands up on its own. Sit a chair beside it and you're good.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #74 on: January 3, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIXEN-VMC-100L-telescope-/181054683525?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item2a27b33985&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FMyEbayBeta

put a bid on this. Vixen are Japanese and make good stuff. If you get this for under £200 it will be a result.

or this...i must admit i am considering bidding myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Second-Hand-Vixen-4-102mm-Refractor-With-Vixen-EQ-Mount-/200859434077?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item2ec427bc5d

The one you listed is okay, the skywatcher, but you need to be aware that it is quite large and may annoy you if you only want to do occasional astronomy. It takes up a fair bit of space and the wife might get umpty about it. (mine does with my 10"). Theyre not that easily transportable. I would seriously recommend a smaller scope until youre satisfied you want to carry on because this hobby will become a money pit. I promise you that. Seriously it will do. One good lens will cost you £200 to £500 +. You will likely need 3 good ones too. High power, mid and low plus a barlow. Once youve used a Tele Vue Nagler you wont bother with anything else.

The only trouble with Dobbies is that you move it yourself to track objects. It has no GOTO functions. However the tube assemble can be mounted onto a pedestal and mount that can accommodate the GOTO computer functions. This costs money too.

My 10" Newtonian takes a large part of our spare room up with it and all the accessories you WILL need.

Sorry I dont want to put you off, I just want to make sure you understand that if you are serious about it you are under no illusions.

If it was me starting again i'd buy a Meade ETX from the start. The 105 or the 125. It has the mount and computer and you can pick one up on ebay. It has a load of accessories. Can be put in the boot and taken to clear skies. Its a doddle to use too. I use mine in my VW campervan. :) I wasted a few hundred quid on dobbies before i saw someone with an ETX and thought...hmmm.

Save the big refractor till later when youre sure.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #75 on: January 9, 2014, 08:47:06 pm »
Been watching Stargazing Live this week and properly got into it.

Been browsing telescopes on Amazon, can anyone tell me if Celestron telescopes any good?

Ideally I want something I can attach my slr camera to, so I can get some decent pics.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 09:04:06 pm by Rob K »
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 9, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »
Hate living in London, no fucking chance to use one. Saw a nightsky photo of the UK a while ago and apparently a small patch of Scotland's west coast is one of the darkest places in Europe. Alas, to big a drive.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2014, 03:39:20 pm »
ive just ordered myself a Skywatcher Mercury 705

for a beginner seems to have decent reviews

Offline BornaRED

• Boys Pen
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »
If any one is after a telescope im getting rid of my skywatcher 200p dob, comes with 10mm and 25mm eye pieces and a barlow.  after 150 quid, would need collecting from huyton tho as cant post it.

Bought from here just over 18 months ago.     http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-skyliner-200-8-inch-20cm-dobsonian-telescope/p10565

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2014, 08:19:20 am »
You told me a
Week late.excellent price.
Any tips for a newbie?