Author Topic: Telescopes  (Read 33060 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Telescopes
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »
Bumpity bump bump.

I'm thinking of getting a telescope for Christmas. I've never had one before, so I'd classify myself as being an enthusiastic beginner. I'd be interested in seeing Jupiter/Saturn and their moons, some casual stargazing etc. Was thinking of a 4-5" reflector, either table top or tripod. I'm on a good area in terms of having little light pollution.
My budget is up to £200, probably a max of 230 if it's including lenses.

Anyone got any suggestions?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2020, 04:29:34 pm »
Bumpity bump bump.

I'm thinking of getting a telescope for Christmas. I've never had one before, so I'd classify myself as being an enthusiastic beginner. I'd be interested in seeing Jupiter/Saturn and their moons, some casual stargazing etc. Was thinking of a 4-5" reflector, either table top or tripod. I'm on a good area in terms of having little light pollution.
My budget is up to £200, probably a max of 230 if it's including lenses.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I have got a suggestion.

Don't buy a telescope.

You are much, much better off with good binoculars to start with. You might just about see Jupiter as a bright object and you'll see the moons (which are amazing). Plus you might on a good day just about make out Saturns rings depending on your 'scope - but getting a telescope for those two objects isn't really worth it

(btw the Moon is a cracking object in a telescope)

What I'd suggest is to first see if you've got the mettle to be an enthusiastic beginner. It doesn't occur to you (Well it didn't to me) that to get the telescope out, you need to do some pre-planning, find a spot, get it set up before time, get it weighted down a bit (I used bricks in bin bags) if it's a bit windy. Make sure your spec is good. Make sure streetlights don't get in the way. Make sure your object is actually visible and that trees, fences, houses and the like aren't in the way. Make sure it's actually dark enough and make sure that you know how to use your scope.

------------------------------------

So... don't get a scope.. yet..

Get some GOOD binoculars (Image stabalising ones if you can) - I had a telescope and I had some astronomy binocs which also needed a tripod and my stargazing was limited as half the time I couldn't be arsed with the messing about.

Since then I've got some Canono 18.50 Image Stabalising Binocs which are tremendous. No tripod needed. If I want to go out and look at something then I'm out there in 2 minutes flat and can wander around.

So.. Don't get scope yet.. Start with your eyes. See if you can be arsed being outside in the cold and dark. Start with constellations and planets. Get a free/cheap app on your phone which tells you what is about and even lets you hold it up so you can move to things.

If you enjoy watching with just your eyes and you get into namign the constellations and moving around between them THEN think about getting some binoculars. Compared to your normal vision, binoculars show a wealth of stars that you just couldn't see with the naked eye.

If you spend a year with naked-eye vision and binocs and love it THEN buy a scope.

People buy a telescope often because it sounds dead interesting and exciting seeing the stars and the planets and I do enjoy it - as do many people - but boiling it down, a lot of it is being cold and looking at loads of dots. Once you start to know what those dots are and how to move around them (You'll need that for the price you're paying for a scope - more expensive ones come with computer guided mounts - but not for your price range) then it becomes a whole lot more interesting.

Sorry a bit of a rambling post there but to sum up these are the steps that might work for you

1. Get out in your garden and use your eyes. Do you enjoy looking at stars and finding out what stuff is?
2. Assuming you like being cold and looking at dots, look for a good recommended pair of binoculars (I have actually got four - very low, medium, high and very high magnifications) - the very low ones are better than you might think - you need to be getting your head around moving among them and finding them with your binoculars
3. Assuming you like looking at dots and then you find you like looking at dots through binoculars then you might be in line to think about the scope - these can bring their own challenges -some are the right way up (like binoculars) and some are upside down...

I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2020, 05:15:58 pm »
I remember an episode of Sky at Night where they said that the most important thing for somebody new is to buy as good of a tripod as you can afford because if you don't it will just be wasted money as you would need to upgrade again when you upgrade your 1st telescope.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »
Interested factoid: technically the Galilean Moons are bright enough to be observed with the naked eye - they're just obscured by the brightness of Jupiter. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2021, 11:15:59 am »
I read some reviews and bought myself a pair of these:

Celestron 71008 SkyMaster 25 x 70 Binocular

Hoping they are good for seeing the night sky.

Comes witha  tripod adapter also, we have one for a Nikon camera so am hoping it's a universal type mounting.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 01:45:32 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2021, 02:36:46 pm »
I have got a suggestion.

Don't buy a telescope.

You are much, much better off with good binoculars to start with. You might just about see Jupiter as a bright object and you'll see the moons (which are amazing). Plus you might on a good day just about make out Saturns rings depending on your 'scope - but getting a telescope for those two objects isn't really worth it

(btw the Moon is a cracking object in a telescope)

What I'd suggest is to first see if you've got the mettle to be an enthusiastic beginner. It doesn't occur to you (Well it didn't to me) that to get the telescope out, you need to do some pre-planning, find a spot, get it set up before time, get it weighted down a bit (I used bricks in bin bags) if it's a bit windy. Make sure your spec is good. Make sure streetlights don't get in the way. Make sure your object is actually visible and that trees, fences, houses and the like aren't in the way. Make sure it's actually dark enough and make sure that you know how to use your scope.

------------------------------------

So... don't get a scope.. yet..

Get some GOOD binoculars (Image stabalising ones if you can) - I had a telescope and I had some astronomy binocs which also needed a tripod and my stargazing was limited as half the time I couldn't be arsed with the messing about.

Since then I've got some Canono 18.50 Image Stabalising Binocs which are tremendous. No tripod needed. If I want to go out and look at something then I'm out there in 2 minutes flat and can wander around.

So.. Don't get scope yet.. Start with your eyes. See if you can be arsed being outside in the cold and dark. Start with constellations and planets. Get a free/cheap app on your phone which tells you what is about and even lets you hold it up so you can move to things.

If you enjoy watching with just your eyes and you get into namign the constellations and moving around between them THEN think about getting some binoculars. Compared to your normal vision, binoculars show a wealth of stars that you just couldn't see with the naked eye.

If you spend a year with naked-eye vision and binocs and love it THEN buy a scope.

People buy a telescope often because it sounds dead interesting and exciting seeing the stars and the planets and I do enjoy it - as do many people - but boiling it down, a lot of it is being cold and looking at loads of dots. Once you start to know what those dots are and how to move around them (You'll need that for the price you're paying for a scope - more expensive ones come with computer guided mounts - but not for your price range) then it becomes a whole lot more interesting.

Sorry a bit of a rambling post there but to sum up these are the steps that might work for you

1. Get out in your garden and use your eyes. Do you enjoy looking at stars and finding out what stuff is?
2. Assuming you like being cold and looking at dots, look for a good recommended pair of binoculars (I have actually got four - very low, medium, high and very high magnifications) - the very low ones are better than you might think - you need to be getting your head around moving among them and finding them with your binoculars
3. Assuming you like looking at dots and then you find you like looking at dots through binoculars then you might be in line to think about the scope - these can bring their own challenges -some are the right way up (like binoculars) and some are upside down...

been tempted to buy a telescope for years but this is an interesting idea getting binoculars. the ones you bought seem to be like £1200!? does that not mean your beginner telescopes are massively cheaper? or is this just one you've upgraded to?

wanted to take pictures but assuming there's no solution for that with binoculars  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:38:27 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2021, 10:45:16 pm »
been tempted to buy a telescope for years but this is an interesting idea getting binoculars. the ones you bought seem to be like £1200!? does that not mean your beginner telescopes are massively cheaper? or is this just one you've upgraded to?

wanted to take pictures but assuming there's no solution for that with binoculars  ;D

I waited years before getting the Canons and yeah they were pretty expensive.

You can get decent smaller binocs for maybe £50

If you wanted one with a tripod and a camera mount, then you might want to consider this £165 from Amazon

Gosky Titan 20x80 Astronomy Binoculars, Giant Binocular with Braced-in Tripod Adapter,Carrying Case,Protective Shield,and Digiscoping Phone Adapter -for Bird Watching Sightseeing Shooting Star Gazing

Or this for £110

ESSLNB Astronomy Binoculars 13-39X70 Zoom Binoculars for Stargazing with Phone Adapter Tripod Adapter and Case for Stargazing Terrestrial Viewing Hunting

(You need to buy a tripod with that)

The most difficult thing with a tripod is looking up as they aren't usually tall enough (They I have some extra talls ones) - but if you're looking straight up then I can recommend a sunbed or something so you can rest your arms and stargaze.

You can also consider a camping chair that you can scoot down in and rest your arms.

There are plenty of options out there if you have a look around. But I'd probably start off with cheaper ones and see how you get on.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2021, 01:15:35 pm »
I waited years before getting the Canons and yeah they were pretty expensive.

You can get decent smaller binocs for maybe £50

If you wanted one with a tripod and a camera mount, then you might want to consider this £165 from Amazon

Gosky Titan 20x80 Astronomy Binoculars, Giant Binocular with Braced-in Tripod Adapter,Carrying Case,Protective Shield,and Digiscoping Phone Adapter -for Bird Watching Sightseeing Shooting Star Gazing

Or this for £110

ESSLNB Astronomy Binoculars 13-39X70 Zoom Binoculars for Stargazing with Phone Adapter Tripod Adapter and Case for Stargazing Terrestrial Viewing Hunting

(You need to buy a tripod with that)

The most difficult thing with a tripod is looking up as they aren't usually tall enough (They I have some extra talls ones) - but if you're looking straight up then I can recommend a sunbed or something so you can rest your arms and stargaze.

You can also consider a camping chair that you can scoot down in and rest your arms.

There are plenty of options out there if you have a look around. But I'd probably start off with cheaper ones and see how you get on.

thank you, i ended up getting something in the £150 range. in the meantime i'm going to also keep an eye on Gumtree as there's been a few very cheap listings for things usually worth £1000-ish (maybe they all fell off a lorry...)
YNWA.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2021, 04:48:26 pm »
thank you, i ended up getting something in the £150 range. in the meantime i'm going to also keep an eye on Gumtree as there's been a few very cheap listings for things usually worth £1000-ish (maybe they all fell off a lorry...)

Nice one enjoy!

If you're interested in something that can keep your interest going then a subscription to Slooh is an amazing experience and they have regular events and Star Parties, plus you can look at their range of telescopes in South America and the Canaries.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2021, 04:55:24 pm »
Maybe look at fishing chairs,fox are the best but they're all made for comfort and recline all the way back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:28:45 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2021, 09:24:16 pm »
Maybe look at fishing chairs,fix are the best but they're all made for comfort and recline all the way back.

Yep great shout.

We just happen to have a couple of sun beds and I go camping, so have a nice camping chair as well, but fishing chairs would also be excellent.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2021, 09:28:33 pm »
Yep great shout.

We just happen to have a couple of sun beds and I go camping, so have a nice camping chair as well, but fishing chairs would also be excellent.

My post should've said Fox not fix  ;D

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 8, 2021, 09:56:09 am »
Nice one enjoy!

If you're interested in something that can keep your interest going then a subscription to Slooh is an amazing experience and they have regular events and Star Parties, plus you can look at their range of telescopes in South America and the Canaries.

wow, this Slooh thing is very cool. thank you.

still trying to find a decent iPhone app, all the ones i've found seem a bit gimmicky rather than accurate
YNWA.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2022, 07:49:04 pm »
Quick question. Everyone's going on about refractors and reflectors and even binoculars (which I totally agree with). Why no mention of catadioptrics?ppose

Mind you. I suppose, the Celestrons referred to are catadioptrics I imagine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:02:42 pm by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2022, 09:08:59 pm »
wow, this Slooh thing is very cool. thank you.

still trying to find a decent iPhone app, all the ones i've found seem a bit gimmicky rather than accurate

Slooh is amazing isn't it?

Love the idea that you can borrow their telescopes and take pictures of anything you want.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2022, 09:14:57 pm »
Quick question. Everyone's going on about refractors and reflectors and even binoculars (which I totally agree with). Why no mention of catadioptrics?ppose

Mind you. I suppose, the Celestrons referred to are catadioptrics I imagine.

I've never used one, but aren't they a alot trickier to use and maintain than a reflector/refractor?

Actually scratch that - I did a bit more digging and I have heard of them, but they are known as the following;

Schmidt-Cassegrain: This telescope consists of a short tube, spherical primary mirror, full-aperture corrector lens, and a convex secondary mirror. The image is formed behind the primary mirror while the secondary mirror reflects light. The image location is why this telescope is classified as a Cassegrain telescope.

Maksutov-Cassegrain: The Maksutov-Cassegrain features a short tube, spherical concave primary mirror, full-aperture corrector lens, and convex secondary mirror. The corrector lens is made from a weak negative meniscus lens. The image is formed behind the primary mirror.

Schmidt-Astrograph: this telescope is made of mirrors and accessory lenses. Unlike the previous two telescopes, this scope often lacks a full-aperture corrector lens, though you can purchase a modified Schmidt-Astrograph.

Schmidt-Newtonian: This telescope is a cross between a Newtonian telescope and a Schmidt-Cassegrain. This telescope differs from the Schmidt-Cassegrain in that the image is formed on the side of the tube

When I was using telescopes, I was looking at one of these ( https://www.meadeuk.com/Meade-ETX125-Observer.html ) but looks like they don't make them any more

They are pretty heavy and a serious piece of kit.

But you can get a second hand one from Ebay for around £250
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:20:24 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2022, 11:01:01 pm »
I've never used one, but aren't they a alot trickier to use and maintain than a reflector/refractor?

Actually scratch that - I did a bit more digging and I have heard of them, but they are known as the following;

Schmidt-Cassegrain: This telescope consists of a short tube, spherical primary mirror, full-aperture corrector lens, and a convex secondary mirror. The image is formed behind the primary mirror while the secondary mirror reflects light. The image location is why this telescope is classified as a Cassegrain telescope.

Maksutov-Cassegrain: The Maksutov-Cassegrain features a short tube, spherical concave primary mirror, full-aperture corrector lens, and convex secondary mirror. The corrector lens is made from a weak negative meniscus lens. The image is formed behind the primary mirror.

Schmidt-Astrograph: this telescope is made of mirrors and accessory lenses. Unlike the previous two telescopes, this scope often lacks a full-aperture corrector lens, though you can purchase a modified Schmidt-Astrograph.

Schmidt-Newtonian: This telescope is a cross between a Newtonian telescope and a Schmidt-Cassegrain. This telescope differs from the Schmidt-Cassegrain in that the image is formed on the side of the tube

When I was using telescopes, I was looking at one of these ( https://www.meadeuk.com/Meade-ETX125-Observer.html ) but looks like they don't make them any more

They are pretty heavy and a serious piece of kit.

But you can get a second hand one from Ebay for around £250
I've always been happy with bins but entertained the idea that when I retire and have more time on my hands, I'd get myself a serious telescope. Well I've now retired, and been the beneficiary of a very generous leaving collection. This has gone straight in the telescope fund. A Schmidt Cassegrain will soon be winging its way over! Wifey loves photography so there is a whole new episode opening up here - and, no doubt, loads more questions heading your way Andy.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2022, 01:25:10 am »
I've always been happy with bins but entertained the idea that when I retire and have more time on my hands, I'd get myself a serious telescope. Well I've now retired, and been the beneficiary of a very generous leaving collection. This has gone straight in the telescope fund. A Schmidt Cassegrain will soon be winging its way over! Wifey loves photography so there is a whole new episode opening up here - and, no doubt, loads more questions heading your way Andy.

That one is especially good for photography as it diverts the light straight out the back (not an angle) and you can get a camera attachment for it that works really well

These are some photos from one

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2022, 08:34:44 am »
Knowing us we'll take one of the horse head nebula and we'll miss the head off. They are superb photos though. It is amazing though as you say, how we can all get so caught up in little white dots on a black background. I'll never forget the first time I saw the moon's of Jupiter on me bins all those years ago, I was half way between crying, and wanting to run around the neighbourhood telling everyone. It's just one of those things isn't it, you either get it or you don't, and funnily enough I think most people do. After all its what we all used to do before we got properly domesticated and invented things like tv and pollution. Sitting there, with just the naked eye, but they knew about the 'wanderers', or the planet's as we call them.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2022, 09:46:10 am »
Pollux (from Slooh) I took last night :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2022, 10:02:09 am »
If there is any object that any of you would like to get Slooh to look at, pop it in here and if it's do-able then I'll get a shot of it (Some shots are dependant on the time of year and other effects)

They have two sets of telescopes  - some in the Canary Islands and some in South America

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2022, 10:04:18 am »
This is the Lagoon Nebula I took a few months back

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2022, 10:07:19 am »
And the Dumbell Nebula (Also from a few months back)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2022, 01:25:57 pm »
Castor last night

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2022, 07:22:38 am »
NGC2362

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2022, 09:19:47 am »
Venus (Taken just now (09:00) from Chile)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2022, 10:47:10 am »
Mars today (Also from Chile)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2022, 09:46:55 am »
Horsehead Nebula taken last night

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2022, 09:48:47 am »
Hamburger Nebula (Last night)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2022, 10:03:47 pm »
Can you get a shot of IC 1101 ?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2022, 09:54:36 am »
Swan Nebula last night

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2022, 09:55:03 am »

Looking into it for you mate

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2022, 10:08:59 am »
Not sure whether to keep posting images - is anyone looking at them?

Happy to keep putting stuff up if people are interested :)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2022, 10:32:57 pm »
Not sure whether to keep posting images - is anyone looking at them?

Happy to keep putting stuff up if people are interested :)
keep sticking em up mate. Always worth a look.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2022, 06:00:15 pm »
keep sticking em up mate. Always worth a look.

Ok got a few queued up for tonight/tomorrow :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2022, 06:06:46 pm »

It doesn't seem to be available

I'm guessing that it'll be too faint for an Earth-bound telescope to see? The shots I've seen of it are from orbit (Hubble)

Edit: I raised a ticket with them, so might be able to queue it up once the current missions are completed.

I'll add it here when I can :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:59:42 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2022, 06:11:08 am »
It doesn't seem to be available

I'm guessing that it'll be too faint for an Earth-bound telescope to see? The shots I've seen of it are from orbit (Hubble)

Edit: I raised a ticket with them, so might be able to queue it up once the current missions are completed.

I'll add it here when I can :)
Cheers Andy; thanks for trying mate  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2022, 10:03:20 pm »
Cheers Andy; thanks for trying mate  :thumbup

Yeah sorry mate. I'm on the (fairly) noddy membership, so certain catalogues aren't available to me, but I can do stars, planets, clusters and loads of stuff plus all the stuff from Bennet, Caldwell, Messier and NGC (Plus a few Brucie bonuses around)

Anything else you'd like me to have a crack at?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2022, 10:23:59 pm »
Yeah sorry mate. I'm on the (fairly) noddy membership, so certain catalogues aren't available to me, but I can do stars, planets, clusters and loads of stuff plus all the stuff from Bennet, Caldwell, Messier and NGC (Plus a few Brucie bonuses around)

Anything else you'd like me to have a crack at?
Proxima Centauri if possible; it's the nearest star to us with exoplanets.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2022, 11:26:07 pm »
Proxima Centauri if possible; it's the nearest star to us with exoplanets.

Proxima Centauri (Alpha Centauri C) scheduled!

I'll put it on here when it's done (Some were cancelled yesterday due to bad weather..)

The nearest star to the Solar System, and the faintest member of the Alpha Centauri system, Proxima is a tiny red dwarf star discovered by astronomer Robert Innes in 1915. It is the most active flare star (a star that undergoes extremely rapid changes in brightness) yet known, and is only about 1.5 times the size of Jupiter.