Author Topic: Telescopes  (Read 33063 times)

Offline Bondred

• Wouldn't know a palindrome from an emordnilap. Hi, I'm Bond. Blames Bond.
  • Legacy Fan
Telescopes
« on: November 1, 2011, 09:40:33 am »
Hi guys, need some help please.

I am looking at buying a Telescope, I know nothing at all about them and have around £200 to spend on one.

Can anyone recommend some decent ones for that price?

Mainly to be used for planet and star observations.
'If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
Re: Telescopes
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2011, 09:49:59 am »
That was the peeping tom's defence as well.  ;)

Will you be observing the constellations away from a metropolitan area ? (ie away from smog, pollution etc)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2011, 09:54:19 am »
Gobias Industries is the one to ask I believe as he is into his astronomy. I know for a fact that he likes looking at Uranus...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2011, 09:54:37 am »
That was the peeping tom's defence as well.  ;)

Will you be observing the constellations away from a metropolitan area ? (ie away from smog, pollution etc)

Yes, live deep in the countryside.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

I am looking at buying a Telescope, I know nothing at all about them and have around £200 to spend on one.

If you know nothing about them, have you considered getting a far cheaper one, and trying it out, as it were?

If you are looking at stars, have a look at this: http://www.stellarium.org/

It is one of the best open source projects there is.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2011, 09:57:45 am »
If you know nothing about them, have you considered getting a far cheaper one, and trying it out, as it were?

I have thought about a cheaper one, what are the main differences between lets say a £50 and a £200 one?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2011, 10:02:14 am »
I have thought about a cheaper one, what are the main differences between lets say a £50 and a £200 one?

£150?

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2011, 10:03:25 am »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2011, 10:13:41 am »

I'd second that, absolutely brilliant project. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the heavens.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2011, 10:23:23 am »

Get a cheap one to start - you want a refractor to start with - pay about £80 - £100 for it and then invest in eye pieces - The telescope is just a tube - the eye pieces are the important thing.

If you do have streetlights around you - get a phospher filter. If not then you could do with getting a set that has a few options and filters for the planets (They bring the colours out and each planet has a different filter)

Celestron is a good starter.

Get a cheap one to start - you want a refractor to start with - pay about £80 - £100 for it and then invest in eye pieces - The telescope is just a tube - the eye pieces are the important thing.

If you do have streetlights around you - get a phospher filter. If not then you could do with getting a set that has a few options and filters for the planets (They bring the colours out and each planet has a different filter)

Celestron is a good starter.

So £80-£100 for the Telescope and £100 for the eyepieces is a good way to spend that £200.
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2011, 10:28:48 am »
This is supposed to be a decent one....
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

And here's a good site with smart people who know what they're talking about (unlike me)
http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
Decent telescopes were hard to find in this country up until a few years ago. Choices have improved though and Curry's have a pretty decent Celestron 130mm Reflector (complete with motor drive) for £170. Good value I reckon.
 Don't buy anything cheap and nasty for 50 quid, you'll only end up disappointed. If you're serious about taking up Astronomy for a hobby then you'd be better off spending the extra £100.

Oh by the way Bondred, this is better advice than any I give out in the betting thread. ;)

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2011, 11:30:13 am »
Decent telescopes were hard to find in this country up until a few years ago. Choices have improved though and Curry's have a pretty decent Celestron 130mm Reflector (complete with motor drive) for £170. Good value I reckon.
 Don't buy anything cheap and nasty for 50 quid, you'll only end up disappointed. If you're serious about taking up Astronomy for a hobby then you'd be better off spending the extra £100.

Oh by the way Bondred, this is better advice than any I give out in the betting thread. ;)

Haha that was just plain unlucky!!

What I want is one for looking mainly at planets and moons, with the odd stargazing.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
Haha that was just plain unlucky!!

What I want is one for looking mainly at planets and moons, with the odd stargazing.

that one would be fine, and the fact it is complete with a motor-drive means you wont have to keep moving the telescope manually to track the Moon/ planets as they move across the sky.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2011, 11:47:11 am »
that one would be fine, and the fact it is complete with a motor-drive means you wont have to keep moving the telescope manually to track the Moon/ planets as they move across the sky.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/celestron-astromaster-130eq-md-reflector-telescope-with-motor-drive-03506621-pdt.html

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #15 on: November 1, 2011, 11:51:35 am »

I'd second that, absolutely brilliant project. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the heavens.

Thanks for this, never heard of Stellarium before.  Just downloaded it; very nice indeed.
May contain irony.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 1, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »
I used to know a little bit about these.

I'd recommend a reflector telescope; try to get one with as big a mirror as you can afford.  A 4 inch should be within your budget.  Should prove more than adequate for planetary observation and should suffice for things like nebula and comets etc.  The money starts to come in when you start looking at the different lenses you can buy, but I'm afraid I can't really help you on that one as I can't remember much about them.  The good thing though is that you can buy new/better lenses as you can afford them, so sink as much cash as possible into your initial purchase.

Will you be using an equatorial mount or a standard tripod?  And will you be getting an auto tracker?  (A motor to move your telescope and keep the object you're looking at in the field of view.)

EDIT: Just found this one randomly:  http://www.mensgiftshop.com/acatalog/Celestron_Astromaster_130EQ_Motorised_Telescope.html

I remember talking telescopes to my mate in school and he always warned me off Tasco, but that's over 20 years ago now.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2011, 01:00:17 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 1, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »
I used to know a little bit about these.

I'd recommend a reflector telescope; try to get one with as big a mirror as you can afford.  A 4 inch should be within your budget.  Should prove more than adequate for planetary observation and should suffice for things like nebula and comets etc.  The money starts to come in when you start looking at the different lenses you can buy, but I'm afraid I can't really help you on that one as I can't remember much about them.  The good thing though is that you can buy new/better lenses as you can afford them, so sink as much cash as possible into your initial purchase.

If I buy one that supports a 4inch lens, how do I upgrade that? does that mean buying a new unit or upgrading the lens? surely I can't buy a bigger one?

Will you be using an equatorial mount or a standard tripod?  And will you be getting an auto tracker?  (A motor to move your telescope and keep the object you're looking at in the field of view.)

I have no idea at all at the moment. Hopefully one with a motor.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 1, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
Sorry.  I said 'lens' when I should have said 'eyepiece'.  Shows how much I have forgot!

Different eyepieces have different characteristics.  Smaller ones - like an H8mm for example - offer good magnification but magnification is a trade off against illumination, which is why you want as big a diameter telescope as possible.  Also some lenses are better suited to planets and others to stars.

As I'm not sure how much you know, apologies in advance if I come across as stating the obvious.  To my mind, reflector telescopes (Newtonian/Mirror scopes) are better than refractors (which use lenses) for what you have said you want it for.  Eyepieces will always use lenses though. (I think!)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2011, 01:18:01 pm »
Sorry.  I said 'lens' when I should have said 'eyepiece'.  Shows how much I have forgot!

Different eyepieces have different characteristics.  Smaller ones - like an H8mm for example - offer good magnification but magnification is a trade off against illumination, which is why you want as big a diameter telescope as possible.  Also some lenses are better suited to planets and others to stars.

As I'm not sure how much you know, apologies in advance if I come across as stating the obvious.  To my mind, reflector telescopes (Newtonian/Mirror scopes) are better than refractors (which use lenses) for what you have said you want it for.  Eyepieces will always use lenses though. (I think!)

treat me as a complete novice, which is what I am.

I am looking closely at the one the lad posted earlier in the thread, looks ok for what i need, I think.

I take it I would have to buy the different coloured lens separately?

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2011, 01:23:58 pm »
Bondred, when you come to make your choice (I notice Red Beret recommended the same one I did, looks really good value and a well known make) don't be fooled into thinking higher magnification is better. Some packaging will say stuff like '500X magnification!' if you use a certain eye-piece but that's no good for a 3-4 inch telescope. What you gain in magnification you lose in clarity of image. A general rule of thumb is never look for more than 100x magnification per inch of aperture - basically, if you have a 5" telescope don't try for more than 500X magnification etc. Some top Astronomers say 50X per inch is about right.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 1, 2011, 01:28:42 pm »
treat me as a complete novice, which is what I am.

I am looking closely at the one the lad posted earlier in the thread, looks ok for what i need, I think.

I take it I would have to buy the different coloured lens separately?

I don't know anything about coloured lenses.  They will be different apertures.  Although you can buy different moon filters which clear out some of the glare - very useful when observing a full moon, although to be honest most people prefer to observe either side of the full so the lunar shadows show up details better.

You will get at least one eyepiece with your telescope, maybe two or three.  But you will be able to buy additional ones.  A bit like being able to buy different lenses for a camera body.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 1, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
Bondred, when you come to make your choice (I notice Red Beret recommended the same one I did, looks really good value and a well known make) don't be fooled into thinking higher magnification is better. Some packaging will say stuff like '500X magnification!' if you use a certain eye-piece but that's no good for a 3-4 inch telescope. What you gain in magnification you lose in clarity of image. A general rule of thumb is never look for more than 100x magnification per inch of aperture - basically, if you have a 5" telescope don't try for more than 500X magnification etc. Some top Astronomers say 50X per inch is about right.

The one you recommended as an aperture of 5.1" and magnification of x65, is that enough to have clear images of the distant planets?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »
The one you recommended as an aperture of 5.1" and magnification of x65, is that enough to have clear images of the distant planets?

That will give excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn.  I had a 2" refractor when I was a teenager and I could easily see up to four cloud bands on Jupiter, plus the Galilean satellites.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »
That will give excellent views of Jupiter and Saturn.  I had a 2" refractor when I was a teenager and I could easily see up to four cloud bands on Jupiter, plus the Galilean satellites.

That's good news then!

I am definitely leaning towards that one, although I am scouring around the net at the moment.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2011, 01:41:03 pm »
Can't hurt to check user reviews on Amazon mate. :)

Just an aside, but I used to love going to Universal Studios on Dale Street.  The two old guys running that place really knew their stuff when it came to telescopes!

Popcorn's Art

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

If anything that magnification would be considered low but don't let that put you off. You can buy more lenses as you go on to give higher magnification.
 Other things like Barlow lenses will double the magnification of any lens you are using. I had one years ago and didn't think much of it to be honest but it's like anything else, if you spend a few extra quid you get better quality.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »
Just bought this one but the neighbours are a bit pissed off.

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2011, 02:25:19 pm »
Just bought this one but the neighbours are a bit pissed off.

Fucker, I clicked on it and it was out of stock

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2011, 04:00:01 pm »
If anything that magnification would be considered low but don't let that put you off. You can buy more lenses as you go on to give higher magnification.
 Other things like Barlow lenses will double the magnification of any lens you are using. I had one years ago and didn't think much of it to be honest but it's like anything else, if you spend a few extra quid you get better quality.

Much much better off buying a cheaper telescope with decent eyepieces. Barlows are mainly a waste of time unless you get a really good quality one for an excellent mount. An average telescope with good eyepieces will always be better than a good telescope with average eyepieces.

Most of the bundles come with 'starter' eyepieces with few filters and get away with it by offering Barlows.

I bought an inexpensive Celestron with 10 Eyepieces and 10 filters for less than £200.

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #30 on: November 1, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »
TAL1 was recommended when I bought one for my lad a few years ago (from the very place in the link below)

http://www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog/tal.html

Solid bit of kit and a selection of eyepieces, works very well from a decent site, steal at £199
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #31 on: November 1, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »
TAL1 was recommended when I bought one for my lad a few years ago (from the very place in the link below)

http://www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog/tal.html

Solid bit of kit and a selection of eyepieces, works very well from a decent site, steal at £199

That's only got 4 (Average) Eyepieces and the 3x Barlow. The filters are good, but most people need a sodium (For streetlights)

This is the Celestron Eyepiece set I've got at present;

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=celestron+eyepieces&gs_upl=374l4773l0l4914l19l13l0l0l0l0l562l2170l2-2.3.0.1l6l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5957830009586458520#

The Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit contains: - Five Superior Grade Plössl Eyepieces - 1.25 inch — 4 element design with a 52 degree AFOV (32mm has 44 degrees ) — Superb color resolution- edge sharpness and clarity. All eyepieces are fully multi-coated for maximum contrast and resolution. Supplied are a 4mm-6mm- 9mm- 15mm- and 32mm. - Barlow Lens - 2x 1.25 inch — Compliments the Plössl eyepieces in this kit and gives you a total of ten power combinations. High grade glass optics with fully multicoated lenses are used so there is no degradation of image. - Six Colored Eyepiece(Lunar and Planetary) Filters - 1.25 inch — Included are Kodak Wratten 12- 21- 25- 56- 58A- and 80A

The multi-coated Plossl eyepieces really make a difference (Plus a low powered 1.25 Barlow - higher powers like the 3x are pretty useless in most cases) I think I might have bought the Sodium seperately.

I've got it on a cheap mount; You can buy a decent refractor for about £80 - £120. But the clarity is very good due to the quality of the eyepieces. The original ones were utter dogshite.

That one you listed there might well do the job

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 1, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »
It's a headfuck.

I have spent all day surfing the net for Telescopes and whats good/shit about them, and what i would need, and what I don't etc etc

Still not got a fucking clue.

Keeps coming back to a Skymaster or the Celestron Astromaster

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 1, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »
It's a headfuck.

I have spent all day surfing the net for Telescopes and whats good/shit about them, and what i would need, and what I don't etc etc

Still not got a fucking clue.

Keeps coming back to a Skymaster or the Celestron Astromaster

Honestly don't think you could go wrong with either mate, it's not like you're searching for new comets or anything.
 Both those would comfortably do the job you want them for so if I was you I'd just pick one before bellends like myself confuse the issue even more. ;)

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Drew Barrymore showed me her fondue set once...
« Reply #34 on: November 1, 2011, 05:52:57 pm »

Thanks for this... never knew about it had it on all afternoon, love it  :wave

oh and as for a cheap telescope....

Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #35 on: November 1, 2011, 06:04:00 pm »
....oh and as for a cheap telescope....

That got me remembering as a little child putting pin pricks like constellations in the round cardboard end of a smarty tube then sticking the coloured top on it and peering through.

Who needs Palomar and Mt Wilson.

There's even a facebook page ... http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=286031461220

:)

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Bondred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 1, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »

That is amazing, just spent the last hour looking at it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #37 on: November 1, 2011, 08:35:41 pm »
A telescupe eh?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 1, 2011, 08:39:33 pm »
This is the one I got and where I got it. Although it never included the motor back then (!)

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonianreflectors/explorer130incramotor.html

Check this thread to see some of what I can see with it. Also be aware that the photos and videos don't represent the quality of the naked eye as I don't have loads of fancy dan photography equipment, just a cheap webcam.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=72798.120

It's a damn fine piece of kit, especially for the price. It's regarded as one of the best "starter" scopes going for beginners (like me).

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 1, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »
I'd get a good set of binoculars instead with a tripod. There are ones that are set up specifically for astronomy. I have 2 scopes and I find it's much handier to grab the bins and view rather than have the hassle of hauling scopes around the place.