Author Topic: Excel help  (Read 59475 times)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Re: The Microsoft Excel Help Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:39 am »
Thank you all for your help! Got there in the end with the information above and you have all saved me one hell of a job doing it manually.
JFT97

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Excel help
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »
Guys

Opened a csv file in excel and I have 1 column with 100's of rows similar to the one below

I need to split the last 4 numbers into a separate column but keeping the number alongside the date

2016-09-14 00:00:00,8231   

any help please? :wave

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2016, 05:35:33 pm »
Assuming your data is in col A1 downwards. In B1 put:

=RIGHT(A1,4)

Then drag that formula down for all the rows.

The assumption here is that it is always 4 digits. If not, then you'll need a slightly different formula:

=MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:37:29 pm by Thush »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »
Don't open the csv up straight away, open excel first then do File, Open and open it that way. You'll then get the option to select commas as separators between cells

Edit: The comment above should work as well
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »
Select the Column.
Click on the Data Tab.
Select Text to Columns then chose Delimited on columns

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:40 pm »
Cheers lads

appreciated :wave

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2016, 12:09:36 pm »
Hijacking this thread.....

I want to formulate my cash flow spread sheet to aid with future payment projections. At the moment, any purchase invoices are added in a "to pay" section. This includes name of supplier, invoice number, invoice date and due date. As we have many supplies with different terms of business (0 days, 30 days, 90 days etc) I want to create a new tab containing all suppliers and their terms. Then in the due date column, I want excel to see what the supplier name is and lookup the terms from the new tab and calculate what the due date should be.

I'm thinking I need to insert an IF formula, but have no idea what the logical part of the test would be.... Anyone help?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:52 pm »
Typically you need Vlookup (google it, and if you're still struggling come back).

There is a big caveat in that you need the suppliers ordered alphabetically in the lookup. There's a less picky, but harder to use way of doing it. (Again after you've googled vlookup , come back if you really can't have suppliers ordered).

Sorry if the googling suggestions sound patronising, they're not meant to. IF you've never heard of vlookup, you can't google it!

--ps if you are happy to share the spreadsheet over PM , I'll happily look. Especially if you can explain what a cashflow statement is in layman terms. I think I just about get balance sheet and P&L ....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:34:23 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2016, 12:43:18 pm »
Typically you need Vlookup (google it, and if you're still struggling come back).

There is a big caveat in that you need the suppliers ordered alphabetically in the lookup. There's a less picky, but harder to use way of doing it. (Again after you've googled vlookup , come back if you really can't have suppliers ordered).

Sorry if the googling suggestions sound patronising, they're not meant to. IF you've never heard of vlookup, you can't google it!

--ps if you are happy to share the spreadsheet over PM , I'll happily look. Especially if you can explain what a cashflow statement is in layman terms. I think I just about get balance sheet and P&L ....

No offence taken and I do know about vlookup. I think I was tryin to be too clever using IF's when vlookup will work.

I can't share the sheet as its company owned :(

And cash flow is quite simple - opening balance, income, expenditure, closing balance
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2016, 12:49:02 pm »
No offence taken and I do know about vlookup. I think I was tryin to be too clever using IF's when vlookup will work.

I can't share the sheet as its company owned :(

And cash flow is quite simple - opening balance, income, expenditure, closing balance

Cool, I think you can use if , to avoid the sorting issue for suppliers. I doubt there's any really good reason not to have a tab with suppliers sorted.
(Might be worth having a row at the end of the  suppliers ZZZ THIS IS NOT A SUPPLIER , DO NOT ADD SUPPLIERS HERE. MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALPHABETICAL. D Moyes.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2016, 12:51:48 pm »
ps Presumably 'you' normally generate a cash flow at month and year end then? with the opening and closing balances being the values on the balance sheet at the beginning and end of the period the cashflow is for.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2016, 02:03:39 pm »
ps Presumably 'you' normally generate a cash flow at month and year end then? with the opening and closing balances being the values on the balance sheet at the beginning and end of the period the cashflow is for.

We are doing it on a weekly basis at the moment, looking at moving to monthly

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2016, 03:46:28 pm »
You don't need to worry about the list of suppliers being sorted, just use a 4th parameter FALSE in the VLOOKUP statement.

i.e. If the invoice date is in column G and the supplier name is in column J (for example) and you have a worksheet of suppliers and payment terms (in number of days) in columns A and B, your due date formula for the invoice in line 2 would be  =G2+VLOOKUP(J2,'Payment Terms'!A:B,2,FALSE)

This will work for a table of suppliers as long as you version of Excel allows (limited at 65,536 in Excel 2007 and earlier, now over 1 million). However it will slow your workbook down massively if you have thousands of invoices using this formula. So, say you never expect to have more than 1000 suppliers, change the A:B part of the formula to A1:B1000 and it should work faster.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:48:16 pm by Party Phil »
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2016, 03:50:52 pm »
You don't need to worry about the list of suppliers being sorted, just use a 4th parameter FALSE in the VLOOKUP statement.
Are you 100% sure on this one PP? I thought the False simply found the nearest match, where as true forces an exact match.

If you've got 1000s of of invoices\ledger entries, or you need some reporting then I know just the people to help you implement Sun Systems :).......

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
False means it will only return exact matches
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
Formula

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$E$1:$F$4,2,FALSE),"Missing")

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2016, 03:58:10 pm »
False means an exact match is required

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »
Are you 100% sure on this one PP? I thought the False simply found the nearest match, where as true forces an exact match.

I'm sure it's worked 100% of the times I've used it...  False forces an exact match, true allows an approximate match which would mean Excel gives up looking if it finds something similar enough. If you omit the 4th parameter it defaults to true (which I personally consider a design flaw in Excel as I always include false in the 4th parameter.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »
Probably it goes without saying, but if you have the same supplier name with different payment terms in your table (for example different contracts for different work packages) you're going to have a bad time.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2016, 04:13:35 pm »
I'm sure it's worked 100% of the times I've used it...  False forces an exact match, true allows an approximate match which would mean Excel gives up looking if it finds something similar enough. If you omit the 4th parameter it defaults to true (which I personally consider a design flaw in Excel as I always include false in the 4th parameter.
Have your suppliers been ordered 100% of the time ? I always include the parameter too, saves having to remember the default. Although you have to remember what true means .....

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2016, 04:35:07 pm »
Have your suppliers been ordered 100% of the time ?

No. But anyway, it's common sense, if you specify an exact match Excel will keep checking until it finds a cell in the first column of the lookup range where the value is exactly the same as the lookup term, regardless of order. The only problem is that there's no tolerance for typos in the supplier name (better to use a supplier ID number if you have them)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:10 pm »
No. But anyway, it's common sense, if you specify an exact match Excel will keep checking until it finds a cell in the first column of the lookup range where the value is exactly the same as the lookup term, regardless of order. The only problem is that there's no tolerance for typos in the supplier name (better to use a supplier ID number if you have them)

I think it assumes alphabetical ordering. So, for example if you are looking for supplier code LFC1 and it finds MDE1 first , it will stop looking.

You've got me wondering now, will have to do a test .....

--EDIT-- Party Phil is right. Apologies for leading  you down the wrong path.
Test passed, and cross checked the docs from Microsoft.

Every day is a school day, thanks Phil.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:46:33 pm by PaulF »

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2016, 04:54:59 pm »
I think it assumes alphabetical ordering. So, for example if you are looking for supplier code LFC1 and it finds MDE1 first , it will stop looking.

You've got me wondering now, will have to do a test .....

--EDIT-- Party Phil is right. Apologies for leading  you down the wrong path.
Test passed, and cross checked the docs from Microsoft.

Every day is a school day, thanks Phil.

The only time I have found "truth" in vlookup useful is for threshold lookups.
Eg. Have an ordered table of threshold scores and a matching category, eg 50 and over is good, 70 and over very good etc.
The false lookup then helps you categorise. Similar use for dynamically grouping into histogram buckets.

I nearly always use false. Well I actually use 0 or 1 at the end so I don't have to type false or true. I could have saved you about 2 minutes of your life, now you don't have to type 4 extra characters.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
Mind has gone blank and hoping someone can help me urgently.  I'm creating some tables in Excel to put into a PowerPoint. I've got the tables ready and am building the charts I need. I want some of the data to appear on a secondary axis (so that some data is like a bar chart,  and some will be plotted like a line graph) but can't figure out how to do it.

I've done it before, maybe it was on a different version but the mind has gone blank.

Any help gratefully received!

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »
Add the data to a new column chart as two different series. Select the series you want to appear as a line and right click and choose select chart type and choose line.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »
Add the data to a new column chart as two different series. Select the series you want to appear as a line and right click and choose select chart type and choose line.

How do I add it as a different series? Can't believe I don't know this used to do it all the time but not for a year or so and now seems completely alien!

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:52 pm »
If the data is in different columns Excel should automagically create one data series per column. This is assuming you have more rows than columns. If you have more columns than rows it will create one series per row.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2017, 04:16:54 pm »
I'm looking to create a spreadsheet to help me in work

Column A will be a name. Column B will be a monetary figure. Column C and D will also be a monetary figure.

How do I get Column C & D to work out what 90% of Column B is, then change colour to red if it is less than 90%, or green if it is 90% or more
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:21 pm »
I'm looking to create a spreadsheet to help me in work

Column A will be a name. Column B will be a monetary figure. Column C and D will also be a monetary figure.

How do I get Column C & D to work out what 90% of Column B is, then change colour to red if it is less than 90%, or green if it is 90% or more
=B2*0.9

Conditional formatting.....sorry did the formats the wrong way round but I'm sure you'll manage it ;D ;D ;D

Oh and if you only need one column that's red or green then you won't need column D doing anything.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:28:36 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2017, 04:40:00 pm »
Can't seem to get that working. Just goes red regardless of what figure I put in

It's very basic

I want the cells in Column D to go red if I enter an amount less than £180, or green if it's more than £180

Also, an easy way to apply this to the whole spreadsheet, rather than doing it manually for each cell

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:54:48 pm by not trying anymore. Don't care. »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:18 pm »
Can't seem to get that working. Just goes red regardless of what figure I put in
Bit of crossed purposes here....

If you are hard coding numbers into columns, B, C and D then I would suggest you put the following in column E and F

=C2/B2

=D2/B2

Then put the conditional formatting as below

Offline red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:51 am »
I'm doing up some pricing sheets, on sheet one I have a list of sites in column A and Mileage that site in column B. Now each site has its own sheet but one of the first bits of info I need is the mileage. So for Site 1 I have put in the formula in its own sheet, to bring the mileage across. When I copy Site 1 Sheet so I can populate Site 2, 3 4 etc the formula is obviously for the mileage for Site 1. Is there a way of altering the formula so that when I have a new sheet it automatically puts in the mileage from the cell below the last?

Not sure if this makes sense? I know I can do it manually but will have over 100 sheets to do and was thinking there must be a way!
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
I'm doing up some pricing sheets, on sheet one I have a list of sites in column A and Mileage that site in column B. Now each site has its own sheet but one of the first bits of info I need is the mileage. So for Site 1 I have put in the formula in its own sheet, to bring the mileage across. When I copy Site 1 Sheet so I can populate Site 2, 3 4 etc the formula is obviously for the mileage for Site 1. Is there a way of altering the formula so that when I have a new sheet it automatically puts in the mileage from the cell below the last?

Not sure if this makes sense? I know I can do it manually but will have over 100 sheets to do and was thinking there must be a way!
Assuming the name of the site in cell A1 (obviously you can change that if not) on the sheet you are updating....

=VLOOKUP($A$1,Sheet1!$A:$B,2,FALSE)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 5, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #154 on: August 5, 2017, 11:18:09 pm »
Might be more like a picture sharing problem than a spreadsheet one - not sure you will be able to embed googledocs directly here,

Probably easiest to save it as a picture then upload to imgur (or similar) to get share links:

To get the picture screen grab (Prt Scr button) is probably easiest - you can maximise the display with F11 first if you want. If you don't have Photoshop/Gimp you can paste it into a program like Powerpoint where a right click gives the option to 'save as picture'.  Powerpoint also lets you crop/resize.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 6, 2017, 12:12:31 am »
Yeah I know how to do it like that mate, but thought with that link, there was a way to cut out the 3rd party shite and go direct from googlesheets to here. Cheers though

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 6, 2017, 02:32:07 pm »
How do I make this into an embedding link so it appears on here as an image

Be a mod.  ;)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 8, 2017, 01:23:37 pm »
Be a mod.  ;)

How did you do that?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 9, 2017, 12:35:57 pm »
How did you do that?

It's a secret.

Or the looser security permissions that apply to mod posts. A regular user cannot do that as it is a security risk. And mods embed it in quote tags so you can't see how we do it ( not that it would work if you did).

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 2, 2017, 12:52:47 pm »
Ok, not excel but word help....

When I write a document in office 2016 and then go to save it it always saves in that WPS office, problem is I can't print it because it wants me to pay something. This has only happened recently and I don't know why or what I've done to make it automatically save in WPS. Any help would be appreciated.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.