Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 79296 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Headphones
« Reply #280 on: February 1, 2021, 06:21:49 pm »
Samsung's new Galaxy Buds Pro also seem to be excellent as well going from what I've read and I've got a Galaxy phone so would be able to unlock the best features.

Others I've read include the Jabra Elite 75t and the Sony WF-1000XM3.

I wouldn't underestimate the Galaxy Buds Plus either, the design gives you plenty of passive isolation and these days they are regularly around the £100 mark compared with the £200+ of the new Pro model.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #281 on: February 1, 2021, 07:57:16 pm »
I wouldn't underestimate the Galaxy Buds Plus either, the design gives you plenty of passive isolation and these days they are regularly around the £100 mark compared with the £200+ of the new Pro model.

My issue with the Buds Plus is that Samsung brought out the Buds, Buds Plus, Live and then Pro within an extremely short period of time so there's obviously issues with the older versions that they've since corrected.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #282 on: February 1, 2021, 10:05:03 pm »
Has anyone got any recommendations on wireless earphones for running?

Currently looking on Amazon and the majority of the brands are unknown but are around the £30-£40 mark, so a bit sceptical of their quality, however they fairly decent ratings.

Was looking at spending up to £80 or so. Is there a marked difference in quality at these price points?

I have a pair of Soundpeats Truedot and they are fairly good. They are fine for walking or running and I’m not too worried if I lose them (which I haven’t).
#JFT97

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: February 2, 2021, 12:00:24 am »
My issue with the Buds Plus is that Samsung brought out the Buds, Buds Plus, Live and then Pro within an extremely short period of time so there's obviously issues with the older versions that they've since corrected.

Ignoring the Live, which seem like a trial of an alternate design, the others have come at yearly intervals rather than in an extremely short period of time with the plus addressing issues in the original Buds, but the Pro is mainly about the addition of the ANC more than anything else, in much the same way that the 75t and XM3 have updated and improved models out now too.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #284 on: February 2, 2021, 01:45:43 pm »
The 75t do seem to be some of the best around don't they? I might give then a whirl.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #285 on: February 2, 2021, 04:12:24 pm »
The 75t do seem to be some of the best around don't they? I might give then a whirl.

This site is brilliant Welshred albeit it's audiophile-focussed. I'm keeping an eye on the same. My wife got some 2nd hand airpods for her work calls and is already complaining about them not working properly with her iphone, so am on the lookout for an upgrade that costs a fair bit less.
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors.103/

Whoops - this thread's interesting reading back to front (was started in 2017).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/page-1924
« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 04:23:11 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #286 on: February 2, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »
Cheers Roy. I'm not hugely an audiophile but I used to get cheap headphones a while back but forked out for my Bose Soundsport a few years ago and was blown away by how good they were and how durable they are. If something is recommended by audiophiles I'm sure I'll like them!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: February 3, 2021, 02:47:52 pm »
Cheers Roy. I'm not hugely an audiophile but I used to get cheap headphones a while back but forked out for my Bose Soundsport a few years ago and was blown away by how good they were and how durable they are. If something is recommended by audiophiles I'm sure I'll like them!

Well, the only thing they're really bad for early adopter stupidity. If it's an established product they're good on ratings.

Some of the technology they use for on stage monitors is starting to creep into the earpieces now. I went on to get plug in pieces for other earphones (for example you get adapters for Shure earpieces now for about £40 or so that let you use them the same way. If you know the set of connector types you can make quite nice 'frankenmonitors'.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #288 on: February 20, 2021, 01:20:55 pm »

Currently looking on Amazon and the majority of the brands are unknown but are around the £30-£40 mark, so a bit sceptical of their quality, however they fairly decent ratings.

Was looking at spending up to £80 or so. Is there a marked difference in quality at these price points?

I had to get Aftershokz, because earbuds don't fit in my stupid ears.

They sound good, long battery life. At max volume its a weird sensation though.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2021, 05:37:10 pm »
Headphone Amps and/or DACs (usb for desktop PC)... Have you got one, use one ?
I use headphones for music , youtube, movies etc for late night listening & sometimes i'm nearly on full volume  >:(
i know youtube can be hit & miss quality wise, also it depends on the file/bitrate you input for quality output..
is it worth getting a usb DAC.. will it 'drive' the headphones.. loads of info out there but better to get an answer from a user.  8)

i'm using AKG K92 (32 ohms) not high end power beasts but surely a budget DAC can help ?
was looking at ebay-Audioquest dragonfly...
Thanks for any pointers..  :wave

System Bit old now, need to bulid a new one to be honest  ;D
Win 7 64 bit
mobo-gigabyte z97-d3h - cpu i5 4690k quad
ram 16Gb - gfx Rx 570 8Gb
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:51:11 pm by hixxstar »
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2021, 08:48:11 pm »
It is an amp that would improve things if you are having issues with driving your existing headphones, the dac is what would improve things if the one on your motherboard is a bit iffy.

Something like the dragonfly would be a reasonable entry-point into this sort of thing, fiio and shanling also do some tidy ones in that entry-level kind of price range that would also work pretty well on your phone if the manufacturer is one who has nicked the headphone socket from you too as they include bt support.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2021, 01:32:26 pm »
It is an amp that would improve things if you are having issues with driving your existing headphones, the dac is what would improve things if the one on your motherboard is a bit iffy.
Something like the dragonfly would be a reasonable entry-point into this sort of thing, fiio and shanling also do some tidy ones in that entry-level kind of price range.
Thanks.. i think thats what is needed, mini amp to 'drive' the headphones.. my headphones are only 32 ohms so nowt major.
was looking at maybe a quality soundcard but the more i read about it, DAC seems the best option... dragonfly V 1.2 .. but will look at the others you mention.. ta  :wave

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2021, 09:44:31 am »

Got a pair of these.  They've been excellent - they also gave me an £8 voucher just for reviewing them.  Just not too keen on the usb charging bit (or should i say the cover) seems flimsy but so far it's held up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MJPGPKZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »

Something like the dragonfly would be a reasonable entry-point into this sort of thing, fiio and shanling also do some tidy ones in that entry-level kind of price range that would also work pretty well on your phone if the manufacturer is one who has nicked the headphone socket from you too as they include bt support.
just a quick update... got a 'Audioengine D1' off fleabay... boxed in mint condition, wow what a difference. made up  :wave

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2021, 11:30:46 pm »
Can anyone recommend good wireless head phones to use with LG CX Tv and an i phone
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2021, 06:55:51 am »
Sony XM4 is pretty good for watching TV
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2021, 11:52:46 pm »
Dont be afraid to buy second hand headphones, i've had the sennheiser momentums over ears for about 2 years, and they only cost £80, used, but new would have been £250-300.

Also have wireless earphones by Xiaomi True Wireless, sometimes theyre called AirDots, but its a but tricky to get the better pair, cost me about £60 new, when they had the store at Westfield London. decent apple style earphones.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2021, 07:21:57 am »
Sony XM4 is pretty good for watching TV
Almost bought these. Too uncomfortable though and too big over the top of the head. Ended up with the limited edition Bose QC 35 MK 2. Was worried about the bass response since Bose refuse to publish it (Sony claim from as low as 4hz) but fuck me these are goooood.... So comfy too. A tad limited with the range but manageable.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2021, 01:10:44 am »
I'm going to get one the pair headphones ye suggested this week or herself will have me killed before euros over . Is  Bluetooth or wired better while watching matches ?
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2021, 11:14:19 am »
those sony's are on sale in prime day. yes its prime day today!

anyone tested those amazon echo ear buds?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2021, 04:13:27 pm »
Almost bought these. Too uncomfortable though and too big over the top of the head. Ended up with the limited edition Bose QC 35 MK 2. Was worried about the bass response since Bose refuse to publish it (Sony claim from as low as 4hz) but fuck me these are goooood.... So comfy too. A tad limited with the range but manageable.

Yeah, that's why I'd only buy headphones in stores. Need to test how they actually feel.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2021, 06:10:00 pm »
I’m quite happy that I splurged out with my miles to get a pair of AirPods Pro Max. The sound is incredible, much better than my pair of QC35’s.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2021, 09:05:07 pm »
Bought some wired open back headphones for music and gaming the beyerdynamics tygr and they are unreal for the price. I’m no audiophile even though I’m always after a good sound, best I’ve ever had and the build quality feels great. Also got a little Bluetooth dac fiio btr3k to improve sound over normal device output which is great but I’ve ordered a cable to make it into into dongle as that should be better.
After having them a good few months now these are by far the best I’ve ever owned. Can wear them for hours without being uncomfortable/too hot. Brilliant for music and gaming as the soundstage is large and you can pin point sounds around you.

Obviously being wired and open back they aren’t for anything other than home use. That suits me as I have Sony Bluetooth ones for on the go even though I hardly use them now.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #303 on: July 2, 2021, 08:36:36 am »
Still can't decide what head phones to get . I was looking at Sony xm4 or Bose but I'm afraid of low latency input lag while watching matches . Sony xm4 seem to have some lag . Be using them 80 %  time with tv & 20% time with Phone or tablet . If it was for tv only I'd just get some thing the seinnheiser 135s
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 2, 2021, 10:28:40 am »
Still can't decide what head phones to get . I was looking at Sony xm4 or Bose but I'm afraid of low latency input lag while watching matches . Sony xm4 seem to have some lag . Be using them 80 %  time with tv & 20% time with Phone or tablet . If it was for tv only I'd just get some thing the seinnheiser 135s

Can't speak for anyone else but I use the XM4s for watching TV at night as well and I don't notice any particular lag. Maybe it depends on the TV? I use it with a LG C1.

The only time it seems to start getting off sync is when I watch YouTube specifically, but all I have to do is switch off the DSEE on the app

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #305 on: July 2, 2021, 10:37:49 am »
Can't speak for anyone else but I use the XM4s for watching TV at night as well and I don't notice any particular lag. Maybe it depends on the TV? I use it with a LG C1.

The only time it seems to start getting off sync is when I watch YouTube specifically, but all I have to do is switch off the DSEE on the app
that's interesting ! Thanks for that . And do you watch much live sports with them on LG ? And no lag ? Surely if there's no lag on c1 there be none on cx . Might chance them
If that's the case
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: July 3, 2021, 06:55:19 am »
that's interesting ! Thanks for that . And do you watch much live sports with them on LG ? And no lag ? Surely if there's no lag on c1 there be none on cx . Might chance them
If that's the case

Not live sports with them on, no. I only watch football and I just mute the commentary usually anyway  :P

With the CX though, it seems to be a mixed consensus online. Some are saying no lag, others saying it starts lagging after a little while, I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have the aptx codec. I would assume the fix would be to either take them off (which would automatically stop playing) and put them back on, and so re-syncing it, or the DSEE on and off thing again.

I can see how that would get annoying though. I would say to be absolutely sure, go with the XM3. They're cheaper, have aptx, pretty much the same battery life, and the only difference I can think of really is that the XM4 can pair with two devices at once while with the XM3 it's just one.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #307 on: July 4, 2021, 07:25:51 pm »
They're big, over-the-ear types, but I'm still convinced the best headphones I've ever used (they do bluetooth and wired, don't even need charging if wired):

Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBT Wireless Over-Ear Portable Headphones - Black

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 1, 2021, 12:17:01 am »
Anyone tried this brand (EarFun)?  Seen a few reviews and they've seemed positive, Richer Sounds sell them so they can't be that bad.  Can't afford AirPods for the missus to be honest, but £70 seems good value for the features and how well they seem to perform.

https://www.richersounds.com/earfun-air-pro-anc-white.html
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 2, 2021, 09:30:21 pm »

I know I'm a bit late with this, but I wouldn't be looking at cost as a benchmark for wireless earphones for working out or running. The reason I say this is because I had a pair of earphones made by an unknown company called Mpow. Those things lasted me for roughly 6 years and I was gutted when they stopped working. They had outstanding audio quality. Fantastic build quality. Are waterproof, and they stay on your head where you want, in your ear where you want, and did the job. How much? I got them for about 14 quid brand new, but the make (Cheetah) has since been discontinued and replaced by a model called 'Flame'. I recently replaced the Cheetah's  that eventually died on me because the battery got exposed to moisture and shorted everything so they couldn't be repaired. The Flame aren't as robust, especially with the cable, and have a very slightly inferior sound (at least to my ear) but are still amazing quality, and they go for roughly 20 quid brand new. I managed to get a lost and found pair on ebay missing an earbud for 6 quid. Have two pair of them. Can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2021, 09:42:29 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #310 on: October 2, 2021, 10:53:11 pm »
Three pairs of Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro going faulty on me, and I'm pretty sure the actual buds part caused an allergy in my ears which takes me back to square on of looking for some good wireless earphones with ANC

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 3, 2021, 06:42:52 am »
Three pairs of Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro going faulty on me, and I'm pretty sure the actual buds part caused an allergy in my ears which takes me back to square on of looking for some good wireless earphones with ANC

What's your budget? The Sony WF-XM4 are good but pretty expensive

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #312 on: October 3, 2021, 08:48:57 am »
About £200 I reckon

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 3, 2021, 09:39:11 am »
The XM3 are cheaper. Not sure about the UK prices but it won't be more than 120-125 I'd assume. If you're looking for workout ones then either the powerbeats pro or the Jabra 85t.

If you don't mind Samsung again, maybe the newer Buds 2? Or, if you get lucky and find them on sale somewhere, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: October 4, 2021, 05:10:49 pm »
Anyone know any sellers on ebay that sell the genuine Samsung earphones you used to get with the phones? Seems like every fucker on there are selling really cheap knock offs that have horrible sound.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #315 on: October 4, 2021, 08:51:48 pm »
an unknown company called Mpow.

They're my new bluetooth headset for work, great quality and sound.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2021, 02:30:43 pm »
Budget is about £100, I've seen nothing but good reviews about these Melomania 1+ which seem to just get brilliant reviews all round.  Only thing is the wife likes her Apple tech, and the AirPods (not Pro) are about as low as I can find them at the minute.  If I was buying for me, I'd get the Melomania but I'm not.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2021, 03:37:23 pm »
Budget is about £100, I've seen nothing but good reviews about these Melomania 1+ which seem to just get brilliant reviews all round.  Only thing is the wife likes her Apple tech, and the AirPods (not Pro) are about as low as I can find them at the minute.  If I was buying for me, I'd get the Melomania but I'm not.

I looked at those exact same headphones and nearly bought them.  For the price they can't be beaten when it comes to sound quality.  I think the only reason I didn't get them was that I read a handful of reviews regarding connection issues and some people didn't like the comfort of them.  Must stress these were few and far between, but connection issues did keep popping up in user reviews.

I ended up getting the 2nd gen airpods.  They sound great, been flawless when using with the iphone and very comfortable, the only downside is the battery life as if you don't keep them in the charging case they still seem to drain.  They're currently at £99 from Argos and Amazon.  If she likes her apple tech then the airpods are a no brainer really.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2021, 09:15:47 pm »
I looked at those exact same headphones and nearly bought them.  For the price they can't be beaten when it comes to sound quality.  I think the only reason I didn't get them was that I read a handful of reviews regarding connection issues and some people didn't like the comfort of them.  Must stress these were few and far between, but connection issues did keep popping up in user reviews.

I ended up getting the 2nd gen airpods.  They sound great, been flawless when using with the iphone and very comfortable, the only downside is the battery life as if you don't keep them in the charging case they still seem to drain.  They're currently at £99 from Argos and Amazon.  If she likes her apple tech then the airpods are a no brainer really.
Cheers mate, looks like it's the Airpods!
My Twitter

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2021, 09:40:16 am »
Are there many reasons to get the airpod pro's or standard airpods?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05