Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 257730 times)

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »
Just got the HTC HD2 an wonderin if there is anyway of playin poker on on it via one of the big sites?  Pokerstars, partypoker, PKR etc.
Thats not an android phone is it?

Offline bainio

• Main Stander
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »
Got the national rail app. £3, but is actually really useful to be able to save favourite journeys. SAved me a couple of times.
Shopsavvy, really good for checking prices of stuff, and finding the cheapest etc.
Yelp - finds anything you want in nearby area

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »
Thats not an android phone is it?

it's a windows 6.5 mobile i thought
STFU and agree with me.

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #43 on: March 6, 2010, 11:41:36 am »
Surprisingly good deals starting to appear for the HTC Desire, anyone seen any details of the legends availability anywhere?

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #44 on: March 7, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »
Really want the desire
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Drew Barrymore showed me her fondue set once...
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:14 am »
HTC Hero Graphite

is it worth taking the plunge to a new phone??

im a sony owner for years but after hearing lots of bad things about the satio im thinking its time to make a move.

thoughts on this phone??

Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 03:32:14 pm »
well i decided to take the plunge to get the hero.....

then i was amazingly told by the orange assistant.....wait you dont want this phone....

wait 2 weeks and you will be able to get this one instead.

HTC Desire
ive been told this is 100 times better than the one i was going for....so the question is....

how good are these 'android type' phones???

i have no clue about them.

its pure double dutch to me  ;D
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »
I'm waiting for the desire myself.

Anyone know when 02/Vodafone will have it
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 04:41:49 pm »
The Desire is out on Vodafone on the 8th of April (I think). Not sure if O2 even have it?

And yes the Desire is much more powerful than the Hero (bigger and better screen too), thats an old model thats been out roughly a year now I think.

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »
T-Mobile say they will have stock of the HTC Desire tomorrow (Friday).
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
T-Mobile say they will have stock of the HTC Desire tomorrow (Friday).

Looks good, got a few months to wait for my free upgrade.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »
The Desire is out on Vodafone on the 8th of April (I think). Not sure if O2 even have it?

And yes the Desire is much more powerful than the Hero (bigger and better screen too), thats an old model thats been out roughly a year now I think.

All the networks are going to have the phone. Just different release dayes i guess.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 06:16:41 pm »
2nd week of april they said for orange...
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline scoopex

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 07:33:18 pm »
HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

RAWK TICKET EXCHANGE TRADE COUNT: +11

Offline scoopex

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:27 pm »
RAWK TICKET EXCHANGE TRADE COUNT: +11

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 07:29:00 am »
Looks like a great bit of hardware but I'm not keen on the TouchWiz skin on the Android OS. Looks too much like an iPhone rip-off for me. When I move away for an iPhone it'll have to be for something different that blows the iPhone out of the water, not something that that is essentially trying to resemble one.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 02:36:55 pm »
HTC EVO 4G

The more I read about this the more I want one.

A couple of quick questions to Android users out there...

When Android OS updates are introduced e.g. Android 2.0 -> 2.1, can you download the update for free? Are all Droid phones capable of having the OS updated? What is the app marketplace like at the moment? Any sign of a 'jailbreak' for Android?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »
Looks good, got a few months to wait for my free upgrade.

I'm such a weak c*nt. My upgrade isn't due until October...stil tempted to pay off my contract just so I can get a new shiny hone :(

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:08 pm »
The more I read about this the more I want one.

Dont hold your breath. Abs pointless waiting for that in the uk. You can't even get 3G reception everywhere yet

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:11 pm »
Dont hold your breath. Abs pointless waiting for that in the uk. You can't even get 3G reception everywhere yet

I could quite easily buy one from America though using the sales proceeds from selling my iPhone 3G.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »
I could quite easily buy one from America though using the sales proceeds from selling my iPhone 3G.

But what would be the point? we dont have the infrastructure in the UK to be able to make full use of it

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »
But what would be the point? we dont have the infrastructure in the UK to be able to make full use of it

I'm not buying it for the 4G capability. The 3G coverage is sufficient everywhere I go to be worthwhile.

It's the 720p video, 8MP camera, expandable storage, Android OS, HDMI output and massive screen make me want it!

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »
Fair enough

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »
HTC Legend coming to Voda in next 2 weeks. Basically the Hero mk2. Looks good as it runs 2.1 and has a flash! Wahoo!

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
finally got my htc desire today....

taking a bit of getting used too i have to admit, but first impressions are its a quality bit of kit.

so can anyone shed a must have app top 10 for this thats up to date?

just bonding my gmail to the comp so i can use the android market
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
Apps I have installed

BeebPlayer - 3rd party BBC iPlayer
Google SkyMaps - Point the camera at the sky and it shows you the constellations and labels them
Astro - File Manager
OurGroceries - Multi person shopping list - even works between iphone and android users
batteryLeft - Accurate battery life widget
Shazam
ShopSavvy
Aldiko - ebook reader
ConnectBot - ssh client
Currency
Ringdroid - allows you to choose custom ringtones
Live Waterpaper - Live wallpaper which displays ripples on your background picture if you touch the screen (probably eats the battery)

Games I play

Trap
Flood-It
Scrambled Net Lite
Abduction
Backgammon
Cribbage
Jewels
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »
Apps I have installed

BeebPlayer - 3rd party BBC iPlayer
Google SkyMaps - Point the camera at the sky and it shows you the constellations and labels them
Astro - File Manager
OurGroceries - Multi person shopping list - even works between iphone and android users
batteryLeft - Accurate battery life widget
Shazam
ShopSavvy
Aldiko - ebook reader
ConnectBot - ssh client
Currency
Ringdroid - allows you to choose custom ringtones
Live Waterpaper - Live wallpaper which displays ripples on your background picture if you touch the screen (probably eats the battery)

Games I play

Trap
Flood-It
Scrambled Net Lite
Abduction
Backgammon
Cribbage
Jewels

cheers mate....

hoping the data charges on my mobile aint too much....seem to have spent an age on it today....
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:07 pm »
Anyone know of a FREE turn by turn ap on android. Or how to get the google sat nav to work in uk

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:20 pm »
Anyone know of a FREE turn by turn ap on android.
a "sat nav" app?  You tried the google map app with your GPS on?  Its quite good if you are walking but I dont think it has any sound.

Anyone playing "Air Control"? Its so addictive!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »
Was more after a tom tom type thing..lost my sat nav the other day :no

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »
Was more after a tom tom type thing..lost my sat nav the other day :no

the phone stuff is quite slow...but there is CoPilot which is decent or this...http://androidforums.com/514246-post13.html
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Neoto

• Anny Roader
  • $_$
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 03:38:22 am »
I spent 5 days going around to different Vodafone stores trying to get a HTC Desire. Got one yesterday. My verdict so far is that the phone is pure win. Ultimate win in fact. Having said that I am coming from a battered 2 year old Nokia N95 8GB.

Only issue I have is with the battery life. I've managed to run it down today after a full charge.... having said that I was using it almost constantly whilst I was out and about.

Offline Tuckwoor

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »
Battery life in the first week will always be sucky cos the battery takes a while to get up to speed plus you will be playing with the phone all the time. Mine has settled down a bit now and have configured task killers and settings to switch off wifi/data/gps easily/automatically to save battery.

Apps I like so far:

Andchat - irc client
Androidvnc - remote control for pc
Andftp - sftp client
Andoku - sudoku
antennas - detect/log phone mast positions
asborometer - more for the lols, gives a % asbo rating for whereever you are.
beebplayer - iplayer replacement + they switched the radio back on it now
connectbot - ssh tunnel
droidlive lite - streaming radio
gmote - trackpad for controlling pc
google sky map - show off app really but nice
google translate - particularly awesome on desire when you re-enable voice to text
last.fm
layar- needs more data/popular data sites but principal works well
lite setting profiles - switches various settings on the phone when i plug into charger/on battery
meebo - want a proper windows live client but this is ok for the moment
my maps editor - google maps does not let you put locations on it from the phone, this sorts that
ringdroid - edit mp3's to make ringtones
seesmic - twitter client
shazam - song recogniser
taskiller - best task killer i have found so far
tunes remote - remote control for itunes on yer pc.
wardrive - logs open wifi positions

Am now diving into the android dev kit and working on writing some apps of my own.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:30:39 pm by Tuckwoor »

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »
Cheers for that list, Tuckwoor. Will check some of them out.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 02:47:35 am »
Any particular place people are downloading their apps from?

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »
Buzzing - I just get mine from the google app store, there's an icon called 'market' on my HTC. Dont know if yours is the same...
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »
Cool. But I was more on about via the pc

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 11:39:00 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY&feature=player_embedded

The Street View mode looks pretty sweet.

Not much good for driving abroad, roaming charges would be huge but this looks good. Hopefully it will launch on iphone and other smartphones as well
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY&feature=player_embedded

The Street View mode looks pretty sweet.

Not much good for driving abroad, roaming charges would be huge but this looks good. Hopefully it will launch on iphone and other smartphones as well

There's your Dell phone without the qwerty ^