Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 257712 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:32 pm »
You've turned the iPad thread into a borefest about flash, can you try and not do it to this one.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2010, 03:42:16 pm »
long post

i think apple are very concerned with the growing popularity of android. you wouldnt be hearing about all of these potential lawsuits against htc & google if that was the case. they are after all, big companies with big production lines. i think this only eggs people on to buy these products especially with apple contesting flash.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-vs-htc-a-patent-breakdown/

you're spot on about iPhones being in the top end of the market. you have to hope that the next wave of 4g phones would be significantly better than the desire/nexus phones to stay there. the look alone of the device cannot be the only significant change. i'm sure, the cost of the phone and monthly tariff will drive customers away from the top-end since the introduction of the htc phones.

if i hadnt splashed out on a pioneer tv & matching surround set up, i'd have an iPhone, but as it stands, for what it does, it simply doesnt have enough about it for the price. but it sure would partner my vsx-lx52 nicely though.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2010, 03:45:22 pm »
Android based mobiles outperformed sales of iPhones Q1 of this year - which says a lot!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »
Android based mobiles outperformed sales of iPhones Q1 of this year - which says a lot!

which says that there are about 20 different android phones and only 2 iphone ones, of course they're going to outsell them
STFU and agree with me.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »
which says that there are about 20 different android phones and only 2 iphone ones, of course they're going to outsell them

There's well over 20 different Windows Mobile phones, and the opposite is true, massively. Now I agree to an extent that pervasiveness by having lots of models helps. But, the figures would indicate that platform acceptance and maturity are contributing more.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:59 pm »
windows mobile is shite though
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:23 pm »
There's well over 20 different Windows Mobile phones, and the opposite is true, massively. Now I agree to an extent that pervasiveness by having lots of models helps. But, the figures would indicate that platform acceptance and maturity are contributing more.

Windows Mobile is a lame duck right now because everyone knows there's a new version coming out very soon. You'd have to be desperate or daft to spring for a WinMo phone right now.

Hardly surprising when Verizon are offering two Android phones for the price of one.

i think apple are very concerned with the growing popularity of android. you wouldnt be hearing about all of these potential lawsuits against htc & google if that was the case. they are after all, big companies with big production lines. i think this only eggs people on to buy these products especially with apple contesting flash.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-vs-htc-a-patent-breakdown/

The HTC lawsuit is because Apple doesn't want to go after Google directly, because Apple uses a lot of their services. Google pulling YouTube from the iPhone would be a much bigger blow than no Flash, I reckon. I think the main motivation is that Jobs is really angry at Google for pissing on his bonfire for no apparent reason. If they were charging for Android, it'd be different.

I sincerely hope the lawsuit fails, because Android is great for iPhone users, too, and I imagine my next phone will be an Android one. I've had a good play with a couple, and they're waaaay better than my Palm Pre.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2010, 06:24:12 pm »
Windows Mobile is a lame duck right now because everyone knows there's a new version coming out very soon. You'd have to be desperate or daft to spring for a WinMo phone right now.

Agreed, but 12 months ago when there wasn't a new version on the horizon, the iPhone was still outselling the many different Windows Mobile phones available. The point I'm trying to make, is 20 android phones vs. one iPhone doesn't necessarily mean it'll outsell it based on choice and pervasiveness.

Android is selling well, partly because the platform is maturing, and partly due to the right people making the right marketing and investment moves with it. You only need to watch a couple of hours of broadcast US TV to see that.

And I totally agree about Android being good for iPhone users.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2010, 06:28:48 pm »
Right, got you.

Does anyone actually own a *private* mobile with Windows on it? I've only ever seen them used as business phones, and then only by employees who aren't important enough to have a BlackBerry.

How's Android for business users (Exchange integration, remote wiping etc.)?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:02 pm »
Right, got you.

Does anyone actually own a *private* mobile with Windows on it? I've only ever seen them used as business phones, and then only by employees who aren't important enough to have a BlackBerry.

How's Android for business users (Exchange integration, remote wiping etc.)?

Yes, I own a Windows Mobile 6.5 HTC HD2. Best WinMo phone that's ever been made to be fair, and I was a bit :( when they announced it wouldn't have WinMo 7 released for it. Although someone might eventually cook a ROM for it - not looked for a while. The screen is great, as is touch, and the HTC sense if very very good. If I was to rate iPhone OS, I'd give it a 9. This I'd give an 7.5.

I've played around with a few Android phones, and I've been fairly impressed. I've not found one that matches the hardware/screen of the HD2 though. The app platform is much more mature though, although still a long way to catch up Apple. They're ramping up well though, and Microsoft are going to be scandalously behind. However, combine the ease of .Net/Silverlight/CAML with C/Java of iPhone/Android and you can see that application landscape changing very quickly. I expect MSFT to make massive inroads by 2012-13.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:23 pm »
iPhone runs on Objective-C, not raw C (though you can use that, too). It's comparable to Java in complexity and performance, but you do have to manually manage memory on the iPhone (albeit just retain/release, not malloc and all that jazz).

What about gaming on Android? I reckon all the different handsets with different specs will cause a world of pain with games (PC gaming vs console gaming).

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2010, 07:06:55 pm »
iPhone runs on Objective-C, not raw C (though you can use that, too). It's comparable to Java in complexity and performance, but you do have to manually manage memory on the iPhone (albeit just retain/release, not malloc and all that jazz).

What about gaming on Android? I reckon all the different handsets with different specs will cause a world of pain with games (PC gaming vs console gaming).

I was being lazy. While objective C might be simpler, it's still a far cry away from Visual Studio .Net development and tools like Expression Studio. I'm no nuts and bolts developer bear in mind, but I get involved with a lot of it, and I just know the market has been screaming for .net/silverlight on a mobile device for some time now.

Not tried gaming on Android, but from YouTube reviews I've watched it seems just as capable. I'm not sure how long term it's going to handle the plethora of resolutions properly (or at least cheaply for developers). It could well be that minimum CPU specs and memory are eventually produced. I suppose that's the biggest drawback of an open system. Microsoft WPS 7 give explicit hardware guidelines, so there won't be a massive range as such, only incremental jumps in tandem.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
I was being lazy. While objective C might be simpler, it's still a far cry away from Visual Studio .Net development and tools like Expression Studio. I'm no nuts and bolts developer bear in mind, but I get involved with a lot of it, and I just know the market has been screaming for .net/silverlight on a mobile device for some time now.

You've never used Xcode, have you? Objective-C has more in common with Smalltalk than C, and Apple has *shit-hot* development tools. Have a look here for an example of what Cocoa can do.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2010, 11:42:13 pm »
Whats the difference between android and symbian 3 technology? And which is better?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »
Whats the difference between android and symbian 3 technology? And which is better?

Unless Symbian 3 has been completely re-architected from the ground up, Android is way better.

Symbian is ancient technology (it even looks ancient), while Android is a very modern, state-of-the-art OS.

That said, Symbian might run faster on weaker hardware, which is better for battery life.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2010, 05:39:33 am »
Unless Symbian 3 has been completely re-architected from the ground up, Android is way better.

Symbian is ancient technology (it even looks ancient), while Android is a very modern, state-of-the-art OS.

That said, Symbian might run faster on weaker hardware, which is better for battery life.

I've actually been reading some reviews regarding symbian 3 tech. And they were saying its a vast improvment the old symbian tech. Infact they were saying its lookin like it'll be on par with android tech, if not better in some areas. They were also saying that the Nokia N8 which will be the first phone to use symbian 3 tech will give the new iphone 4G a real run for its money.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2010, 10:25:39 am »

I've actually been reading some reviews regarding symbian 3 tech. And they were saying its a vast improvment the old symbian tech. Infact they were saying its lookin like it'll be on par with android tech, if not better in some areas. They were also saying that the Nokia N8 which will be the first phone to use symbian 3 tech will give the new iphone 4G a real run for its money.

Good to know. I'll have to look into that more. It still looks like shit, though, compared to Android/iPhone OS.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2010, 11:00:30 am »
This looks like a great app. App manager and launcher.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #139 on: July 2, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »
Any of the Hero users in UK (t mobile) has got their 2.1 update?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #140 on: July 2, 2010, 02:43:25 pm »
Have all of the below on my Sony X10.

2010 World Cup - good enough, redundant in 10 days time
Advanced Task Killer - Good
Album Art Grabber - Excellent at what it does
Alice - Usefull, sometimes. Syncs with the music on your phone and then returns gigs for the artists. Can set a filter for distance (e.g. return gigs within 50 miles).
Beeb Player - Looks like everyone has found this little gem :)
XE Currency - Simple and decent.
Facebook
Facebook Sync - Sync FB contacts with phone contacts and displays their FB picture in your contact list.
Goggles - Take a picture with your camera phone and this app searches for a match in Google and returns normal search results.
Kaloer Clock - Big digital alarm clock function and display.
Last.fm - Radio
Maps - Google Maps. Excellent. Recent upgrade now has decent navigation that I have used as sat nav in the car succesfully.
Mobicast - Cric info. Cricket scores live as with the ESPN website.
Music Junk - Download free music :)
Opera Mini 5 - Web browser, seems decent enough and good speeds... I still tend to lean towards the default.
Robo Defense - Quality little tower game. Addictive.
Soccer Livescore - Scores from all over the World. Ability to filter and mark faves etc.
Tweet Caster - Twitter
Weather Bug - Weather
Whats On - TV guide
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #141 on: July 2, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
Anyone one know if there's a DAB radio app about or if anyone is working on one?
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 2, 2010, 10:58:08 pm »
Anyone one know if there's a DAB radio app about or if anyone is working on one?

probably in the near future for android phones with FM receivers otherwise most radio stations start having their own apps or there is always shoutcast stations
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #143 on: July 3, 2010, 05:32:46 pm »

try Radiotime.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 4, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »
tvcatchup is on android, just go to http://m.tvcatchup.com and register if you dont have an account.  The quality is quite good

Offline JoeK

• Legacy Fan
  • Come on you tricky reds...
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2010, 11:32:40 am »
Contract is up in 5 days and i've looked and can get a HTC Desire

Looked at the reviews and on one website it had 'best 15 phones on the market right now' and it was number1, ahead of the iphone 4, can't be bad for fuck all can it!!
What bits does it have? Because as long as there's not eight inches of slaghammer down there, I'd be up it like a rat up a drainpipe

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:50 pm »
Contract is up in 5 days and i've looked and can get a HTC Desire

Looked at the reviews and on one website it had 'best 15 phones on the market right now' and it was number1, ahead of the iphone 4, can't be bad for fuck all can it!!

You got the link mate?

Offline JoeK

• Legacy Fan
  • Come on you tricky reds...
What bits does it have? Because as long as there's not eight inches of slaghammer down there, I'd be up it like a rat up a drainpipe

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:33 am »
The AppInventor looks interesting - http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

It's a Google apply for an invitation job at the moment, so if you are interested, apply now.

OK, the apps produced are unlikely to be anywhere near as good as apps developed properly, but this could allow non programming users to put together quick and dirty apps that combine exactly the features they want.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2010, 04:18:49 am »
Does anyone know of a good  video player for  the desire

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:37 am »
Does anyone know of a good  video player for  the desire

Rock Player or doubleTwist.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2010, 01:03:15 pm »
Bloody 'ell, Alchemy isn't half addictive.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:16 pm »
Bloody 'ell, Alchemy isn't half addictive.
air control is dangerously addictive

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »
My young boys love the Talking Parrot - got to laugh really. :-)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »
Aldiko ebook reader is fantastic. I've just loaded a bookshelf of books and the app presents it perfectly with covers and lets you read them perfectly.

And it's free.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2010, 05:16:36 pm »
What's the best app for following live games during the season? My mate has a good one for his iPhone where he can follow all games with minute by minute updates. Tia

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »
What's the best app for following live games during the season? My mate has a good one for his iPhone where he can follow all games with minute by minute updates. Tia

Fotmob and Soccer Livescores and 2 that I use.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »
Just purchased isyncr for $2.99 - fantastic app for syncing itunes playlists on the Desire.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »
robo defence is damn addictive, might buy the full game.

Handcent - for text messaging.
AndExplorer - explorer type app.
AndroZip - unzipping tool (and explorer too)
AudioManager - useful to reset all your sound levels on andriod.
beebPlayer - might uninstall this as i never really use it, bbc iplayer.
ConvertPad - self explanatory.
FxCamera - add effects to your camera, and take photo's.
Gaming Buzz - games news.
Guardian Anywhere - news.
Magic Marker - neon marker.
MixZing - Audio player with an equalizer!
PirateWars - community game.
Quadrant Standard - benchmark performance for your phone.
Snesoid Lite - snes emulator.
Thick Buttons - keyboard.
Trap! - game.
Tube - tube map.
Torrent-Fu - control and add your torrents links to a computer on your network.
Wiki-Mobile.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?