Author Topic: Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)  (Read 439007 times)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Apple iOS Apps Thread (iPad / iPhone / iPod)
« on: July 17, 2008, 03:30:13 pm »
I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss what apps are worth either the effort or money to download.

I've had the Touch since Day 1, and now have a 3G IPhone, so have downloaded quite a few apps over the past year.

I really like FILEMAGNET, which lets you transfer PDF's, Word Docs, JPG's and other files wirelessly between your Mac and IPhone/Touch.  The next release will add Excel and Powerpoint capability.

VICINITY identifies your location, gives you the co-ordinates, and some basic info about where you are, you can then select to see nearby places, bars, restaurants, pubs, banks, cafes, convenience stores, hotels, supermarkets, takeouts, taxi firms etc.  These are listed by proximity, giving you the distance, click a selection and the phone number is linked, as is the url for the place/firm.  Awesome!

What do others like/dislike?
« Last Edit: January 4, 2012, 10:17:04 pm by Graeme »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: Apple iOS Apps Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »
Will have a post in here later. Good thread idea (which might end up merged, but certainly deserves it's own dedicated space)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:10:43 pm »
On mine at moment I have IPint (poo), Reuters News, Jirbo Match and Facebook.

The Facebook app works really well, with the chat well integrated.
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:41:55 pm »
G-Park is pretty cool......hit it when you park your car, go away, get lost, hit it again.....and it gives you a route back to where you've parked!

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:47:41 pm »
I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss what apps are worth either the effort or money to download.

I've had the Touch since Day 1, and now have a 3G IPhone, so have downloaded quite a few apps over the past year.

I really like FILEMAGNET, which lets you transfer PDF's, Word Docs, JPG's and other files wirelessly between your Mac and IPhone/Touch.  The next release will add Excel and Powerpoint capability.

VICINITY identifies your location, gives you the co-ordinates, and some basic info about where you are, you can then select to see nearby places, bars, restaurants, pubs, banks, cafes, convenience stores, hotels, supermarkets, takeouts, taxi firms etc.  These are listed by proximity, giving you the distance, click a selection and the phone number is linked, as is the url for the place/firm.  Awesome!

there's a few of those location ones though but from what i've seen most seem geared to the US, is Vicinity ok for over here?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:22:38 pm »
Not sure if you want hacked iPhone apps in here but I suspect a lot of them will make it onto the App Store sooner or later.

My  favourite one at the moment i Lexitron. it's a simple word jumble thingie, you know the deal, you're given six letters and you have to make as many words as possible, each gives you points depending on length, you have to guess the six letter word to proceed to the next round

very basic but i like it whilst on the bog ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:28:52 pm »
Is it like that Facebook crap you're trying to get me to sign up to?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:31:14 pm »
Exactly ;D

I love me some word games.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:33:03 pm »
there's a few of those location ones though but from what i've seen most seem geared to the US, is Vicinity ok for over here?

I'm in London, and it's fantastic here.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:35 pm »
Exactly ;D

I love me some word games.

As soon as I can be arsed to retrieve my forgotten password for Facefuck, you're so dead.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:49:52 am »
have you got an iphone yet mudface?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:59:32 am »
I've made a grand total of Ł5's worth of mobile calls and texts so far this year, I don't think it's aimed at me.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:38 pm »
People with friends will get much more use out of them, this is true.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:50:55 pm »

So why do you have one?

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 02:54:24 pm »
Liked the concept of iBlackBook, waiting for the "official" version on iTunes
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 07:32:06 pm »
STFU and agree with me.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
So why do you have one?

What, friend?

I have at least twice that :D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 09:25:29 pm »
Thanks for the comedy guys - but can we keep this to Apps.  Has anyone downloaded the Shazam one?  Any good?

Can we edit this and make it podcasts too? :P

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 09:34:35 pm »
shazam seems to work pretty well actually, even found it worked on fairly obscure versions of songs! About podcasts, pretty annoying that they're not in the iPhone version of iTunes

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:48 pm »
Thanks for the comedy guys - but can we keep this to Apps.  Has anyone downloaded the Shazam one?  Any good?

Yes, its excellent at getting the songs off the radio, thats the only source i have tried.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 10:59:26 pm »
just tried it with a few adverts and it worked quite well, tho not when someone was talking over the music

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 11:18:55 pm »

not the same - there IS a podcast thread somewhere though...

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 12:13:50 am »
Fair dinkum about the podcasts. Night :)

Offline Deano06

• Confirmed BOFH TECHNOBORE#1
  • Anny Roader
  • Smarter than you.
  • Super Title: Or is he?
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:56 am »

hahahahhah!

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 01:03:08 pm »
I downloaded Shopping list for 60p. Sad - probably to sad to be used on the iPhone, but it's great, it will streamline my weekly, agonising trip to Tesco and I can put things on it as i remember them.

Sad but very good.
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 02:14:18 pm »
You've not heard of pen and paper then :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 03:18:13 pm »
Well, we  were worried about our carbon footprint, but carrying the slate round was getting heavy.

On a serious note, it isn't a bad little app, you can just check and uncheck purchased items, that way, the next wonderful visit, you still have the list and repeat.
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 03:30:10 pm »
does the mocking laughter of passer bys not annoy you :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
No. I merely hand it to my girlfriend who waltzes of with joy while I push the trolley round like every other fed up fella in there.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:53 pm »
Shop online- it's worth the delivery charge if it's a pain in the ass, plus the site remembers your previous purchases so it only takes a few minutes if you're usually buying the same thing.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
Band  $9.99

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/07/21/a-look-at-band-for-the-iphone/

Looks interesting, not really my kind of thing at all but I could see how some people could spend hours messing about with it.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 07:55:26 pm »
http://tlrobinson.net/iphone/lighttable/ not an app, but check that site out on your iPhone/Touch.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:16 am »
I've just bagged a 32 GB iPod touch, so I'll be on the lookout for some recommended Apps.

Just a thought and I know it wouldn't be difficult to check but it would be nice if anyone posting an App could add if it's for the Iphone, Ipod touch or both.

Just a thought.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 06:57:21 am »
From the WSJ

THE MOSSBERG SOLUTION

A Shopping Trip
To the App Store
For Your iPhone
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG and KATHERINE BOEHRET
July 23, 2008

The single best feature in Apple's second-generation iPhone 3G isn't the increased speed or the GPS location-finding feature. It is something called the "App Store," a clever distribution mechanism for third-party programs that can run on the iPhone and on its close cousin, the iPod Touch. And you don't even need a new iPhone to get the App Store. It is also part of a free software upgrade for older iPhones and a $10 upgrade for the Touch.

In just the first 10 days since the new iPhone and the App Store launched on July 11, more than 900 programs -- applications, or "apps," in tech jargon -- have been introduced by numerous developers. Over 90% cost less than $10 or are free.

Even more noteworthy: iPhone and Touch users have downloaded 25 million copies of these programs, ranging from silly sound effects to challenging games; from news readers to restaurant locators; from social-networking programs to business applications.

We have been furiously downloading and trying out scores of these programs, using a new iPhone 3G, an original iPhone and an iPod Touch, and in general, we are very impressed. We found the process of choosing and downloading apps to be easy and quick, and most of the programs to be useful or entertaining. The vast majority are nicely designed, with great graphics and effective, simple user interfaces.

The easy availability of so many programs written by developers beyond Apple itself makes the iPhone a true computing platform, like a pocket-sized Windows or Macintosh PC. With so many programs already available, and many more in the pipeline, iPhone and Touch owners can have a device with fresh, different capabilities every day.

But the process isn't perfect. For one thing, it is controlled by Apple, which can theoretically bar a program from distribution or take its time making one available.

There are also some glitches. If you download a lot of apps in a short period, it can slow the phone's next synchronization with iTunes to a crawl, while iTunes tries to back up all the new programs, each of which can contain numerous hidden files. And there's a bug in the new iPhone operating system that causes apps to crash, and can even force the iPhone or Touch to reboot, if you use a large number of the new apps in quick succession. Apple says it is working on fixing the latter problem.

Also, Apple's claim of over 900 programs is somewhat misleading, because more than 100 of those are individual books you can read on the phone.

Apple's baby isn't the first smart phone that has attracted developers. Thousands of third-party programs already exist for Nokia phones, BlackBerrys, and phones running the Palm and Windows Mobile operating systems. But, compared with the graphically rich, snappy iPhone apps -- many of which fetch data from the Internet at high speed -- the typical program on these older platforms looks positively primitive.

The App Store can be accessed either from the device itself or from Apple's iTunes software on a Windows or Mac computer, which then transfers the app to the iPhone or Touch. The programs cover a wide range.

Some fill in obvious holes in Apple's original complement of iPhone software, things the iPhone has lacked that other phones have. These include AOL Instant Messenger, a variety of task and to-do lists, sophisticated note takers and a voice dialer. There are numerous versions of popular board, card and word games, like solitaire, mahjong, Scrabble and Sudoku. There are also eye-popping iPhone versions of popular video games, some controlled by the phone's motion detectors, which allow you to move cars and characters by just tilting the phone.

Numerous programs let you perform Internet functions without using the Web browser on the iPhone or iPod Touch. These include news readers, Internet radio players, sports-information apps, and programs that let you blog or use Google or Facebook or MySpace.

There are business programs from Oracle, Salesforce.com and Bloomberg. And there's a clutch of Bible programs.

Some are simply goofy, like a virtual Star Wars-like lightsaber, a rotary-phone dialer and a virtual "stapler." And several programs turn the phone into a flashlight for emergencies.

There are way too many interesting apps to review here, but these are some we liked, in no particular order.

AIM: This version of AOL's popular instant-messaging program does a competent job with text chat, though it can't yet do video or audio chats, or transfer files. Because Apple isn't allowing third-party programs to run constantly in the background, you can't receive new messages in AIM while doing other things. This will supposedly be fixed by new Apple technology due later this year.

AOL Radio: free

While the iPhone and Touch contain full, terrific iPod capabilities, they don't come with Internet radio players like this one. It can stream music and talk from a wide variety of online sources, including the Internet versions of broadcast radio stations.

Evernote: free

This is an elegant note-taker that has been on computers for a while. You can jot down text notes, store photos or dictate audio memos. And it synchronizes with your Evernote account on Windows or Mac PCs or the Web.

Instapaper: free

A handy way to store Web pages on your iPhone or Touch for reading when you're offline. While on your computer, an Instapaper button added to the Web browser can snag Web pages for your personal Instapaper database. Then, when your iPhone or iPod Touch is online, it synchronizes with the Web-based Instapaper database. Later, when you're offline, the pages are still there on the device, ready to read.

Travelocity TravelTools: free

You can use this to check flight schedules, gate assignments and security waiting times. While you can't book flights through this app, there's a button that automatically calls Travelocity's toll-free booking line.

More Cowbell!: free

This is inspired by the Christopher Walken/Will Ferrell Saturday Night Live skit, which made the lowly cowbell a cult musical instrument. Whenever you tap the on-screen cowbell, it makes the recognizable, hollow sound heard in songs like "Down on the Corner," by Creedence Clearwater Revival. You can play along with any song you choose on the iPod Touch or iPhone.

Touch Tarot: $0.99
[Touch Tarot]
Touch Tarot

Touch Tarot is a digital tarot-card reading that takes place on your iPod Touch or iPhone, instead of at a table inside an incense-scented tent at the county fair. Phrasing above each card tells its general category, and below each card is a brief explanation of its meaning. For example, we turned over the Wheel of Fortune card in one card reading, and it said, "Advancement for good or ill. The unexpected may occur. Good fortune."

iWant: free

The iWant app displays 12 black-and-white icons on your device's screen, each representing a different category of something you might be looking for -- including restaurants, bars, cafés, hotels, drugstores, banks, car rentals and movies, among others. The device identifies your location, and each category can be tweaked to search by distance or highest rankings from Yelp, a user-written rating service.

Urbanspoon: free

Urbanspoon resembles a slot machine: From left to right, columns show the location, cuisine and cost of nearby restaurants. Instead of pulling a lever to start the slot machine, you simply shake your iPhone or iPod Touch whenever you want to find a restaurant. When it stops, you see the name of a restaurant near you and its classification in each category. (You can also specify what location, cuisine or cost you're looking for.)

Air Hockey: $0.99

Air hockey works like the game you used to play in your best friend's basement. You play against the computer, using a fingertip to push red or blue mallets that move a puck around the screen-turned-table and trying to sneak the puck past your computer opponent to score a goal.

MotionX Poker: $4.99
[MotionX Poker]
MotionX Poker

This is an addictive poker game, played with realistic, beautifully rendered dice instead of cards. The cool thing is that you roll the dice by simply shaking the iPhone or iPod Touch; convincing sound effects accompany each roll of the dice.

MLB.com At Bat: $4.99

There are lots of cellphone apps and services that can give you live updates on baseball games. What's special about this one is that it adds video clips of key plays that you can view while the games are still in progress, using the full power of the gorgeous screen and video player on the iPhone and the Touch.

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D: $9.99

This is a rollicking, fun iPhone and iPod Touch rendition of the classic video racing game, where you control your car by tilting the phone. The graphics are good, and the game-play is responsive.

Truphone: free

This is the first app for the iPhone that allows you to make cheap phone calls over the Internet instead of using the built-in cellphone capability, which can be much costlier, especially for international calls. In our tests, we had some trouble at first, but after we removed and re-installed the program, it worked fine. Calls to 40 countries are six cents a minute to landlines and 30 cents a minute to cellphones. The iPod Touch lacks a microphone, so this app works only on the iPhone.

Write to Walter S. Mossberg at walt.mossberg@wsj.com and Katherine Boehret at katie.boehret@wsj.com

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18:55 am »

that cocking Vicinity looks the business except that for all the nearest facilities like pubs it tells me i have to go to Maidenhead and i'm fucked if i'm going down there for a pint.

And the weird thing is its got my location spot on
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 11:04:29 am »
Shazam works great, it identified every tune i fired at is and youtube linked me to it.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 11:25:03 am »
aye shazam is brilliant! Also, not an app, but go to seeqpod.com on your I phone and you can stream a huge library of mp3s straight to it thru QuickTime

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Recorder lets you use your IPhone as a......recorder.

Great for little "to-do's" on the go, much easier than keyboarding them in.

Remote is a useful app if you have other apple "stuff" in the house, let's you control apple tv and itunes from your iphone.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:46:35 am by JP-65 »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:41 am »
I purchased the Crossword puzzle game from the App Store and I'm loving it, quite easy to use once you get used to it, free updates on your crosswords daily.

Everything you could want from a crossword game.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 11:51:48 am »
I purchased the Crossword puzzle game from the App Store and I'm loving it, quite easy to use once you get used to it, free updates on your crosswords daily.

Everything you could want from a crossword game.

Thanks, been looking at that one.

Currency is good if you travel a bit.

Bloomberg is a good business news feeder if you're so inclined.

300 Bowl is a fun one as well.