Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 168870 times)

Offline RyanBabelsFish

• used2bee1101
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:46 pm »
If you're going to get a Dell then make sure you ring up and haggle with them. Always get money knocked off and stuff thrown in.
My Tips @ www.inside-bet.com

RH: "You're under pressure as manager of Liverpool if you lose two games at any point in the season and we've already lost, five I think, out of eight, or is it four?"

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2009, 04:17:51 pm »
If you're going to get a Dell then make sure you ring up and haggle with them. Always get money knocked off and stuff thrown in.
Always use the online coupons. If you wait long enough and check for the best coupons a lot you'll get quite a bit off.

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:01 am »
Time for a new laptop.

To be used 99% of the time for browsing, downloading the odd music file and syncing with iTunes. I realise this doesn't require a big-spec machine, so I'm caught between a netbook and a laptop (a nettop? lapbook)

Has anyone used a netbook for these requirements and if so would you recommend one (I'm thinking the screen size may become a frustration) or is it best just to take the laptop route? From the research I've done so far, at one end of the spectrum I'm thinking something like the Samsung NC20, at the other the Sony Vaio NS30.

It will be used mainly at home so portability is less important than performance and battery life. Cheers all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:43:16 am by Red Tsar »

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #203 on: November 1, 2009, 03:53:40 pm »
Thinking of buying this, Acer Aspire 5738 (15.6-inch LED, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, 2.13 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB, DVD-RW, Vista Home Premium, Webcam, WiFi).
Any thoughts on whether it'll be a good buy for someone using it for general admin on Office, iTunes, simple gaming and surfing?
Thanks

Offline Hulting

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 1, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »
buy a macbook =)

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #205 on: November 1, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
Thanks. They will upgrade but I take your point

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »
Thanks. They will upgrade but I take your point

Might pick one of those myself unless anyone can recommend anything better for £400.

Offline MerseysideRedsFan

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:41 am »
I've been given an insurance replacement card to buy a laptop so I was wondering what you guys think of Toshiba as a brand. I am not used to their products. I've used HP, Sony and the likes but not Toshiba. So could anyone shed some light on how their builds are?
The laptops I am looking at are a Satellite L555-10R and Satellite A500-17X. L555 has a ATI Radeon 4650 GDDR3 GPU and Core 2 duo P7450 processor, where as A500 has Nvidia Geforce GT 230M as GPU and has the same processor as L555. Though I am not that much into gaming, I'd like to play all football related games in my spare time. So that is the reason I wanted a capable GPU. Is it ok to buy Toshiba built laptops?
Five days shalt thou labour, as the Bible says. The seventh day is the Lord thy God's. The sixth day is for football.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »
I've been given an insurance replacement card to buy a laptop so I was wondering what you guys think of Toshiba as a brand. I am not used to their products. I've used HP, Sony and the likes but not Toshiba. So could anyone shed some light on how their builds are?
The laptops I am looking at are a Satellite L555-10R and Satellite A500-17X. L555 has a ATI Radeon 4650 GDDR3 GPU and Core 2 duo P7450 processor, where as A500 has Nvidia Geforce GT 230M as GPU and has the same processor as L555. Though I am not that much into gaming, I'd like to play all football related games in my spare time. So that is the reason I wanted a capable GPU. Is it ok to buy Toshiba built laptops?

I bought a Toshiba EQUIUM A200 26 months ago for £550 and it's completely knackered. It had issues running Vista, Firefox and it's very easy to Fuck up the USB ports. The lid didn't shut and it also had issues with overheating. I'd google reviews of the product before buying one.

Offline MerseysideRedsFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »
I bought a Toshiba EQUIUM A200 26 months ago for £550 and it's completely knackered. It had issues running Vista, Firefox and it's very easy to Fuck up the USB ports. The lid didn't shut and it also had issues with overheating. I'd google reviews of the product before buying one.
Thanks for your input. The thing is both these laptops are new in the market and I could hardly find any reviews for them.
Five days shalt thou labour, as the Bible says. The seventh day is the Lord thy God's. The sixth day is for football.

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
Laptop Upgrade
« Reply #210 on: February 1, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »
My laptop struggles to play games and I am wondering if it is worth upgrading the RAM and OS or just to bite the bullet and get a better laptop, I have a HP Pavilion DV9700 running a AMD Turion 64 X2  2000mhz Processor, 2GB RAM,  Nvidia 7150M graphics with 64mb dedicated (Oh the shame!) and 799mb shared, would going to 4gb of ram and changing to 64 bit Windows give me enough of a boost or is the graphics card just to poor to cope? (I think i know the answer but was wondering what sort of boost the extra ram and OS would give)

Do you guys have any recommendations for a games compatible laptop, i don't need (can't afford!) Alienware specs but something below a grand that could run most games at a decent rate would be good, and also, do the macbooks running windows handle games ok?

Thanks for any advice

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Laptop Advice
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2010, 08:58:36 pm »
Hi all,

After a new Latop to play Footie Manager, surf the web and stopre music / photos.

Love a Mac book but out my budget of £400.

Got a Acer Desktop and hate it.

Any good suggestions?

Thanks again,

Nick
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2010, 12:59:47 am »
It might be an old thread but it's the one linked in the FAQ's.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:01:20 am by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:28:57 am by leighton »
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:39 am »
Posted this in the Macbook thread but this thread seems more suitable!

Currently weighing up a MBP with a windows equivalent. I've been using macs for 5-6 years now, but now use windows at work so really, I'm not that fussed either way on operating system (provided it's windows 7!).

Basically, I want a decent laptop with a 15" screen, that I will effortlessly be able to use for web design, photoshop and surfing. I'm not massively arsed about losing OSX for the sake of saving money - I just don't want to pay c£1500 when everything on the standard macbook would suit my needs bar the screen size.
Any suggestions? Build quality is important, and it'd be nice if it didn't look like a pile of shit. Would also be nice if it lasted a few years at least without conking out or becoming obsolete.

It's shocking how ugly some of the other manufacturers make their laptops. Fucking idiots.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
Some advice wanted over here too. I currently use a Samsung NC10 netbook, which I think is brilliant. Only downsides is that the screen is slightly too small, and it has no DVD drive / writer. I like having my laptop ... well ... on my lap! So I don't want to go too much bigger than this, so I've been looking at the 13 inch laptops. The only options there really seem to be Macs, Sony Vaio or Samsung. The first two seem  over-priced compared to similar spec-ed Samsungs, and I haven't had a problem with Samsung, other than the screen is going a little bit (just a loose connection or something I think, understandable for a computer this size?).

The Samsung Q330 is what I've been looking at, and it seems perfect for what I need. But I can't help feel I'm spending too much just to have a cute, portable laptop, that I can use every day and not get irritated with how slow it is. Any suggestions other than the three brands above, for a decent quality and spec 13 inch laptop?

In similar predicament.

Love a Samsung or Sony but not up for paying too much over the odds.

Online Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »
Posted this in the Macbook thread but this thread seems more suitable!

Currently weighing up a MBP with a windows equivalent. I've been using macs for 5-6 years now, but now use windows at work so really, I'm not that fussed either way on operating system (provided it's windows 7!).

Basically, I want a decent laptop with a 15" screen, that I will effortlessly be able to use for web design, photoshop and surfing. I'm not massively arsed about losing OSX for the sake of saving money - I just don't want to pay c£1500 when everything on the standard macbook would suit my needs bar the screen size.
Any suggestions? Build quality is important, and it'd be nice if it didn't look like a pile of shit. Would also be nice if it lasted a few years at least without conking out or becoming obsolete.

It's shocking how ugly some of the other manufacturers make their laptops. Fucking idiots.

To answer my own question - I'm swaying towards just saving for a macbook pro now, maybe even just the 13" version. After looking in John Lewis at the different options they had there - the only thing to come close was a Sony but even that was shy on build quality and felt pretty plasticky.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »
To answer my own question - I'm swaying towards just saving for a macbook pro now, maybe even just the 13" version. After looking in John Lewis at the different options they had there - the only thing to come close was a Sony but even that was shy on build quality and felt pretty plasticky.

Tempted to do the same.

Friend just got one and says it turns on quickly.

Refurbished ones are decent too.

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #220 on: November 2, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »
Guys,

Can you advise on an Xmas gift for my daughter - netbook is what she wants.  budget of approx 250/275 notes? not a small screen tho.
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 2, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »
Tempted to do the same.

Friend just got one and says it turns on quickly.

Refurbished ones are decent too.

A mate of mine managed to pick up one of those lovely, rare aluminium-bodied MacBooks (not Pro) for about £500. Very nice machine.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »
Model: Dell Inspiron 15 250GB laptop

AMD Sempron V120 processor (2.2GHz, 512Kb cache)
2GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM (1333Mhz) 2s
250GB (5,400rpm) SATA hard drive
15.6in Widescreen WXGA WLED (1366 x 768) TFT display
DVD +/- RW drive
Intel Integrated GMA graphics
802.11g WiFi
McAfee Security Centre FREE 6-month subscription
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2010 starter

What do you tech guys think of that laptop? Have about £400 to spend, everyday use laptop, needs to be able to run football manager.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

DVD +/- RW drive
802.11g WiFi

What do you tech guys think of that laptop? Have about £400 to spend, everyday use laptop, needs to be able to run football manager.

Anyone?

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:50 am »
I just bought a new macbook pro 15" i7, with 512mb graphics....been playing Team Fortress 2 on it...works a treat. Mind you I am seriously bad at TF2. Also been replaying HL2 on it via steam, which is cool. You do need a mouse though to play FPS on the macbook, i cant do it with the trackpad easily. Expensive i know but my old 17" is 5 yrs old now and ive retired it. So now i can game on a mac as well. Not too many great games though.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline simonchamp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 1, 2010, 01:21:59 pm »

DVD +/- RW drive
802.11g WiFi

Personally I would suggest a bit more RAM, a faster processor and a dedicated graphics card as opposed to an integrated one.
Justice - 22 years overdue.

Offline TheVoiceOfRiise

• Legacy Fan
  • www.solavirtus.co.uk
    • Sola Virtus
« Reply #226 on: December 2, 2010, 11:52:01 am »

DVD +/- RW drive
802.11g WiFi

I just took delivery of this 2 days ago. I think it's slightly better spec for only 29 quid more. Works well for me.

OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Word Starter, Excel Starter)   
Base Inspiron N5010 (UK6, FCG71) - i3-370M (2.4GHz, 3M cache) 

LCD 15.6" High Definition (1366x768) WLED   
Memory 3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x1024 + 1x2048] 
Hard Drive 320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive 
Dell System Media Kit Inspiron N5010 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers) 
Optical Devices DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)   
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD 
Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1501 Mini Card (802.11g/n)   
Camera 1.3 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera 
Standard Warranty 1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC 
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit 
Processor Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2.4Ghz, 4 Threads, 3M cache) 
Bluetooth Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module
Mcafee 15 month security
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 11:55:45 am by TheVoiceOfRiise »
Please have a listen  to my band - www.solavirtus.co.uk

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Laptop/Notebook suggestions
« Reply #227 on: March 1, 2011, 07:32:14 am »
My ol' Dell has kicked it and I need a replacement laptop and fast !  I've been looking into so many options now that I've worked myself into a head spin.  Would appreciate some suggestions mostly about the config.  Firstly, while it maybe intended for home use, I do run a lot of programs at the same time and hence, I would prefer a fast processor.  Ideally, I would have an i7 but it just seems to be a bit expensive.  I'm not too bothered about the size of the hard drive since I have an external that works great and I use that more often than not.  So, what I need is an fast as fuck computer with the capacity to multitask efficiently.  I'm just not sure which brand to buy though.  Everyone I ask seems to have some sad story about every brand.  Dell is too unreliable, my HP just died out of the blue etc.  So, can the good denizens of RAWK recommend something suitable and perhaps a couple of sites where I can get deals as well. 

Please note that I'm on a relatively low budget stretching to around 500 pounds (I converted it from Australian Dollars but I'm not sure how cheap/expensive the UK is with respect to Australia when it comes to computers).  Thanks in advance  :wave .
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
Re: New Laptop Dilemma
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
Graphics cards are useful for picture and video editing.  The one without a card should still have an integrated graphics chip built into the motherboard, have you checked? 

I'd go with the AMD vision one
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:36:24 pm by DanFromMars »
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
Re: Laptop Upgrade
« Reply #229 on: August 2, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
About to purchase http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6001sa-15-6-laptop-white-09797915-pdt.html

Thoughts? I'm pretty clueless, so I'm hoping for someone to confirm its fairly decent before I hit buy - my budget is around £450, is there anything better out there? I will only be using it for browsing and watching videos.

Appreciated.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #230 on: August 2, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »
I got a Msi from Argos

£600 with an Nvidea, 500GB Harddrive, 4GB Ram - cracking little machine.
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #231 on: August 2, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »
Get a laptop with one of those new AMD,APUs for budget gaming.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #232 on: August 2, 2011, 11:51:12 pm »
About to purchase http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6001sa-15-6-laptop-white-09797915-pdt.html

Thoughts? I'm pretty clueless, so I'm hoping for someone to confirm its fairly decent before I hit buy - my budget is around £450, is there anything better out there? I will only be using it for browsing and watching videos.

Appreciated.

you do know it's a 64 bit operating system dont you ? .. nice laptop though  ;)

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 3, 2011, 12:59:40 am »
you do know it's a 64 bit operating system dont you ? .. nice laptop though  ;)

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Was going to get it but someone's put me onto this laptop which looks much better ???

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5560_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.RNT02.050/version.asp?PID=410

Think its quad core? The cheap three year warranty is pushing me into the acer corner - Ta for any advice :wave

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #235 on: August 3, 2011, 11:15:31 am »
Just invested in one of these

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/hp-envy-17-1050ea-review-50000288/

Made up with it apart from 1 small problem

There is 1 single stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen. I rang up pc world and HP and neither consider it a manufacturing fault unless there is more than 1 pixel stuck

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 3, 2011, 11:27:23 am »
They are nice laptops, just double what I can afford to pay ;)

Any ideas on the one I had in mind? (http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5560_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.RNT02.050/version.asp?PID=410)

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 3, 2011, 11:29:08 am »

There is 1 single stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen. I rang up pc world and HP and neither consider it a manufacturing fault unless there is more than 1 pixel stuck

i got into a rather large argument about this in pc world once  :D

although they did replace the monitor in the end

If they are going to use this 1 pixel rule then the only answer in future  is to try the machine before you leave the store - it is rubbish though, even 1 pixel is a clear defect  : :no

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #238 on: August 3, 2011, 11:46:32 am »
i got into a rather large argument about this in pc world once  :D

although they did replace the monitor in the end

If they are going to use this 1 pixel rule then the only answer in future  is to try the machine before you leave the store - it is rubbish though, even 1 pixel is a clear defect  : :no

I could send it back but they dont have a replacement laptop with that spec in my price range. And they wont replace it with a better spec because they dont deem it a manufacturing fault. I've got it hooked up to my TV now so I dont worry about it as much. But it is the principal

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 3, 2011, 11:57:25 am »

When did you get it? If we're talking in the last few days then I'd just be returning for a full refund.

I think it's overpriced for what it is. You could get an Asus N73SN-TZ044V which has the Sandy Bridge i7, more RAM, bigger HD, better brand in terms of build and reliability.