Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 168861 times)

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Drew Barrymore showed me her fondue set once...
Re: Laptop advice....
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2009, 02:43:06 pm »
You want to take your eyes off the numbers and go have a look at the machines if possible. RAM and HD can be upgraded if needed, anyway, so prioritise the things you can't upgrade. The quality of the screen, keyboard, case etc. are all important and never mentioned. Some machines have really loud cooling fans, or crap screen latches.

never thought of it that way before....

always had a pc tower and this would be my first laptop...
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline AsianRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Laptop advice....
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 02:52:47 pm »
I always say the following when people ask me about laptop purchases:

1) How much do you want to spend?
2) What do you want it to do?
3) Are you bothered about the manufacturer?
4) Go to the shop, speak to the man and he will point you to a load of kit.
5) Pick the one you like
6) Buy it there or over the net for a discount

Most laptops are pretty much the same spec nowadays, all you seem to be paying for is the name and a bit more memory. If you arent playing games, downloading media etc, then a nice affordable mid range one will do. Obviously the more you want to do the more you need in a laptop
A lot of football success is in the mind.
You must believe you are the best and then make sure
that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had
the best two teams on Merseyside,
Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. - Shankly 1913 - 1981

Mr Suarez Is Not A Racist!

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »
Here comes Wellz over the hill, just arriving from 1987.

yes , yes mr sea im moving into the light after all this time.. ;D

I always say the following when people ask me about laptop purchases:

1) How much do you want to spend?
2) What do you want it to do?
3) Are you bothered about the manufacturer?
4) Go to the shop, speak to the man and he will point you to a load of kit.
5) Pick the one you like
6) Buy it there or over the net for a discount

Most laptops are pretty much the same spec nowadays, all you seem to be paying for is the name and a bit more memory. If you arent playing games, downloading media etc, then a nice affordable mid range one will do. Obviously the more you want to do the more you need in a laptop

1- £400-£500
2- mostly surf net , play some games , store music itunes etc.....
3- not really but would like a half decent make. Hopefully more well known means more reliable
4- have been into a shop and i swear they look at me and go "its sell him a dud for a fortune time" - blinded by words
5- i did but i thought i might ask as i could pay over the odds when somebody might offer something better
6- when i decide the lappy im getting i will be ok as i will not swerve away from it
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline Drunknmunky

• Kopite
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2009, 04:30:42 pm »

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »
blue ray player too.....

hmmmmm...

hewlett packard, thought they sunk with the leeds...  ;D
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline AsianRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2009, 09:24:45 am »
yes , yes mr sea im moving into the light after all this time.. ;D

1- £400-£500
2- mostly surf net , play some games , store music itunes etc.....
3- not really but would like a half decent make. Hopefully more well known means more reliable
4- have been into a shop and i swear they look at me and go "its sell him a dud for a fortune time" - blinded by words
5- i did but i thought i might ask as i could pay over the odds when somebody might offer something better
6- when i decide the lappy im getting i will be ok as i will not swerve away from it

a friend just brought a Toshiba for about £400 ish. He went to pc world and the tech guy said if he was buying a laptop he would get a Toshiba as they are reliable, he hardly ever gets one in to repair.
A lot of football success is in the mind.
You must believe you are the best and then make sure
that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had
the best two teams on Merseyside,
Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. - Shankly 1913 - 1981

Mr Suarez Is Not A Racist!

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Laptop upgrade, advice from anyone technically minded needed.
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2009, 02:10:48 pm »
Right, as some of you may know I am spending more and more time at a research facility than in my office at the minute and because of this, I need a new laptop, or at least a decent one.

I did have a sony Viao pentium 4 2.8ghz 512, with no wireless, that was as heavy as lead and about 6-7 years old.

My dad had an old laptop from his company that is not only light, but it is decent, has a nice keyboard and is relatively pretty to look at, and has wireless.

It is a Acer Aspire 3000, sempron processer that my dxdiag says i have a mobile amd processor 3000+ at ~1.8Ghz with 446ram. Looking online i seem to be able to update this to 2gb ram, but for what i need, 1 gb would be enough.

It is ddr ram and i can see it has a 268 (or similar number) stick so im guessing it has two in.

I have seen some 512mb on pc world website for £18. What i want to do is update it.

First I dont need the hard drive or a graphics card upgrade, but what can i do about the processor or the ram.

The laptop is good now and will do, but if i can make it slightly better it means when i run analytical software i may have it running more smoothly.

Anyone want to give me advice, on what to buy and then how to install. Sort of advice for dummies style.

Thanks

Gareth

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Laptop upgrade, advice from anyone technically minded needed.
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »
Price the memory from www.crucial.com/uk. If you select the model - the have a money back guarantee that it will work. It tells you what will fit and the maximum capacity. Once you have a part no you can probably shave a bit off the price, but normally it is not worth it.

They also have a scanner if the thing is net connected so it can work out the model for you.

Upgrade to 2Gb rather than 1Gb. It makes a difference.

Don't mess with the CPU in a laptop. It is really not worth the grief.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »
Price the memory from www.crucial.com/uk. If you select the model - the have a money back guarantee that it will work. It tells you what will fit and the maximum capacity. Once you have a part no you can probably shave a bit off the price, but normally it is not worth it.

They also have a scanner if the thing is net connected so it can work out the model for you.

Upgrade to 2Gb rather than 1Gb. It makes a difference.

Don't mess with the CPU in a laptop. It is really not worth the grief.

is it going to be worth the extra gb ram, is the processor good enough, i dont even know if its that good?

most shops have duel cores at that speed so arnt they twice as good?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2009, 02:35:30 pm »
It's a 2 RAM slot motherboard - you might best to just shove another 1Gb stick in it. £47. 

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%203000%20Series

The Acer manual has the following instructions for upgrading memory in the user guide:

Installing memory

Follow these steps to install memory:

1  Turn off the computer, unplug the AC adaptor (if connected) and remove the battery pack. Then turn the computer over to access its base.

2  Remove the screws from the memory cover; then lift up and remove the memory cover.

3  (a) Insert the memory module diagonally into the slot, then
    (b) gently press it down until it clicks into place.

4  Replace the memory cover and secure it with the screw.

5  Reinstall the battery pack, and reconnect the AC adaptor.6Turn on the computer.The computer automatically d

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2009, 02:38:23 pm »
It's a 2 RAM slot motherboard - you might best to just shove another 1Gb stick in it. £47. 

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%203000%20Series

The Acer manual has the following instructions for upgrading memory in the user guide:

cheers have done it and it comes up with this

Part #: CT456534 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

i currently have two 256 in there, am i going to see the benefit from the extra 1gb if i make it two or should i just make it one

also is this the same thing as what that site says as its cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ByteStor-PC2700-333MHz-SO-DIMM-Notebooks/dp/B000V6VPR0/ref=sr_1_2/280-2689350-4377709?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234535556&sr=8-2

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2009, 02:46:42 pm »
What kind of analytical software is the key. From the age I am guessing XP. XP with 1Gb is far more usable that with 512Mb. Windows is not great at its memory management and if you can stop processes swapping out of memory to the page file it is much slicker. It all depends on how heavy the number crunching is. For most, reasonable, usage it would be fine...

The first step would probably just try the laptop with a "typical" task and see how it performs. While it is running take a look at the performance tab of the task manager. If the CPU usage maxs out at 100% during the task it is processor bound. Also look at the physical memory box on the same tab to see if you are using all of the available memory.

If the performance is good enough, leave well alone.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2009, 02:56:09 pm »
cheers have done it and it comes up with this

Part #: CT456534 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

i currently have two 256 in there, am i going to see the benefit from the extra 1gb if i make it two or should i just make it one

also is this the same thing as what that site says as its cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ByteStor-PC2700-333MHz-SO-DIMM-Notebooks/dp/B000V6VPR0/ref=sr_1_2/280-2689350-4377709?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234535556&sr=8-2

Customer testimony of someone fitting the 512Mb version into a Acer Aspire 3000.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ByteStor-PC2700-333MHz-SO-DIMM-Notebooks/dp/B00025E0JK

It looks fine to me. Though you may want a 3rd opinion...

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2009, 11:55:17 am »
Right, as some of you may know I am spending more and more time at a research facility than in my office at the minute and because of this, I need a new laptop, or at least a decent one.

I did have a sony Viao pentium 4 2.8ghz 512, with no wireless, that was as heavy as lead and about 6-7 years old.

My dad had an old laptop from his company that is not only light, but it is decent, has a nice keyboard and is relatively pretty to look at, and has wireless.

It is a Acer Aspire 3000, sempron processer that my dxdiag says i have a mobile amd processor 3000+ at ~1.8Ghz with 446ram. Looking online i seem to be able to update this to 2gb ram, but for what i need, 1 gb would be enough.

It is ddr ram and i can see it has a 268 (or similar number) stick so im guessing it has two in.

I have seen some 512mb on pc world website for £18. What i want to do is update it.

First I dont need the hard drive or a graphics card upgrade, but what can i do about the processor or the ram.

The laptop is good now and will do, but if i can make it slightly better it means when i run analytical software i may have it running more smoothly.

Anyone want to give me advice, on what to buy and then how to install. Sort of advice for dummies style.

Thanks

Gareth
is it going to be worth the extra gb ram, is the processor good enough, i dont even know if its that good?

Cheers SP, any other opinions before i go ahead?

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »
anyone know the dell clearance website addy

cant find it

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:30 pm »
I've been using a Thinkpad R51 for a few years and am planning on getting the current equivalency in the next few months: the Lenovo ThinkPad R400.

A few questions:

a) Has anyone had any experience with Lenovo laptops since they've separated fully from IBM?

b) Has anyone used a 14.1" widescreen notebook monitor with 1440x900 resolution? How is it?

c) In terms of physical size, what is the difference between 6-cell and 9-cell notebook batteries?
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2009, 03:34:06 pm »
can someone clear something up for me

if something is a dual core 2ghz processer does that mean it has two 2ghz processors or that the combination of the two is 2ghz

same for quads?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »

if something is a dual core 2ghz processer does that mean it has two 2ghz processors or that the combination of the two is 2ghz

same for quads?

2 Pipelines, each running at 2Ghz. At least I was sure, until you asked the question...

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2009, 02:41:51 pm »
Just got my new ThinkPad R400, and I love it!  ;D
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »

doesnt make it twice as good, u get 2 processors cable of working at the same time, but the output/throughput is not as easy to calculate, there are buses too.. dual core 2 would be better

a wuad core amd has about the same performance as a dualcore intel...

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »
im thinking of getting a small 11-12inch laptop for travelling.. and get rid of the laptop i have now (dell inspiron)
i have a powerful pc at home for general stuff etc..

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:32 pm »

same for quads?
core 2 duo runs cool, its easier to over clock, and i think it has an extra bus feed in comparison to the dual core..
but essentially as i said above, if u think of each chip being a business estate, with one road out of each onto the main road, then there are ones with a road in and a road out to the main road, and so forth, so both chips might be on a 2GHz level thus able to perform to that level, but there can be bottlenecks in terms of getting that performance out of the chip

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2009, 11:24:21 am »
Anyone got any opinions on whether this is good value for money?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/8706166/Sony-VAIO-NS20-E-S-Pentium-T3400-2-16GHz-3GB-250GB-DVD-SM-15-4-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook-Silver/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

Got £500 to spend on a new laptop and that, to me, looks the best available for the money.

Any advice would be good though, ta.

Edit: Found it for £457.59 on Amazon. Looks good to me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:31:05 am by AJ »

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2009, 02:32:42 pm »
Let me bring this back up:

1) Wanting to spend between £350 and £450, but could probably spend a bit more.
2) More than one thing at any time!
3) Got a Toshiba right now, but wouldn't be bothered
4) I probably know a damn sight more than the bloke at the shop, so that's no use - hence why I'm asking you lot!
5) That's why I'm asking for a second opinion!
6) Rather in the shop!

In essence, I've got a Toshiba Equium A400 with a 1.4ghz intel Celeron M processor, with 1.5GB of RAM and a 40gb hard drive.  Just need some a bit faster!!!
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »
I have two questions regarding buying one from the US:

1. I imagine the built-in DVD or Blu-ray drive will be preinstalled to be region 1 only. Is there an easy way of changing this (short of properly dicking around with it) or would I basically be stuck with that setting?

2. This might be somewhat on the stupid side, but the HDMI output would still work with a PAL TV rather than a NTSC one, correct?

Thanks in advance.
DAMMIT!

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2009, 10:05:12 pm »
Knocking this one back up as i'm in the hunt for a replacement for my 7 year old Dell Inspiron. Works ok most of the time but it's deffo packing up and on its last legs.

Looked at the new dell inspiron 15 series and they look ok but with the 3yr guarantee price gets pushed close to £500. I'm totally out of touch with laptop prices - surely this is too much for an almost entry level laptop? Or am I just being greedy with the warranty? Internet browsing, watching movies and word/excel/powerpoint are all I use my laptop for. Don't intend to play games, certainly not new ones, so don't think a dedicated graphics card or a super processor are needed. Is a max budget of £400 with a decent warranty unrealistic? Been looking at toshiba and sony vaio models too and they seem a fair bit more expensive. Cheers
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline donut

• and wants to stay one... unfunny twat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
1. I imagine the built-in DVD or Blu-ray drive will be preinstalled to be region 1 only. Is there an easy way of changing this (short of properly dicking around with it) or would I basically be stuck with that setting?

You can usually change the region 4 times before it locks to whatever one it was last set to.

That's been the case with every DVD drive I've ever had.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:30 pm »
So is this the laptop thread? little help then, which one would you buy? Budget is £500

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-1555?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=lthp (3rd one along)

or

http://www.medion.com/ms/aldi/md97760/uk/

i've bought about 7 laptops & 4 desktops from medion so reliability isn't the issue here. simply cant decide.

getting the dell. even though i hate dell.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 02:36:34 pm by El Torres »

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2009, 05:01:20 pm »
I got this the other day, have to say I'm very happy with it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164328

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #191 on: September 1, 2009, 06:52:47 pm »
Right after bugging you not long ago about an update, I want to get a new laptop, i never bothered with the upgrade.

Anywho, I want a cheap laptop that can run the likes of Spore and Footy manager.... Not a real fan of the numbers, dont understand them all if im honest

ram cache, processing power... graphics cards

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga

Offline JayM

• Main Stander
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:48 pm »
Been looking for a new laptop for a couple of weeks and found this today

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/DELL_STUDIO

I'll only be using it for playing FM and comin on here  ;)

Any good?

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:13 pm »
Been looking for a new laptop for a couple of weeks and found this today

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/DELL_STUDIO

I'll only be using it for playing FM and comin on here  ;)

Any good?

Might not be able to run the 3d mode of FM on that, but it should do fine for RAWK-ing. :P

Offline JayM

• Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »
Ok thanks, Ill stick to 2d on FM then if i need to. I mite get it this weekend and get the free upgrade to windows 7
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:07:05 pm by JayM »

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »
Got a Fujitsu Amilo for £200 sheets

3GB RAM
250GB HD
13 - 1 Card Reader
Dual layer DVD writer
15.6 in gloss screen
windows 7

Offline JayM

• Main Stander
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »
will that laptop i posted about be able to run FM? Im not too bothered about the 3d match engine.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:01 am »
Anyone got an Inspiron 17? Carphonewarehouse are doing an older model (new) for £329. Extra 2gb of ram to push it to 4gb will be another 30-40 notes bought seperately. Same model with 4gb of ram but slightly better processor will pushes it upto £400. Any thoughts?

Don't really want to spend more than 400 quid. Not sure if there's a need to get extended warranty either?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2009, 09:16:07 am »
Yeah, I'm looking at one of those Inspiron 17's myself actually mate. Looks decent enough to me, I'd mainly be using it for internet access and downloading stuff and a bit of music stuff as well so don't need too much from it. Plus, if you get it through quidco you can shave an extra £15-£20 off that price from Carphone Warehouse too.

However, if anyone else has any opinions that'd be great! :)

......and could he play!