Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 163742 times)

Offline barcaroma

• Kopite
Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:21:22 pm »
Looking at getting a new 42" Plasma TV in the new year - hoping for a decent sale and to pick up a good brand for about £600.  Have been looking at getting Sky HD but been put off with the £299 charge for a box and the £10 monthly fee (on top of the £65 a month I pay them at moment for Sky+ with Multiroom and Broadband).

Any existing subscribers on here who could give me a rundown on whether they feel the product is good value, is there that much HD content on Sky Sports and Movies??  From what I've read there's only really the live footy, rugby and cricket in the UK thats broadcast in HD for now.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:47:38 pm »
If you have already got Sky, pay about £160 for a HD box off Ebay, call Sky and get your card paired with the HD box.
And get a quad LNB aswell.
That's if you know what you're doing, like.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Slidey

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • http://rawk.impulsed.net
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:15:32 am »
do you have to pay an extra tenner a month if you've already got sky+ and multiroom? i wanna get it, but bill is already pretty high... sports, sky+, multiroom, base charge, setanta.. soon adds up..

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:45:19 am »
I have it, agreed its quality for the footie, but if you want my advice, dont bother just yet. There are only 12 dedicated HD channels. Most of them air crap, sky 1, sky arts, the discovery channel is AMAZING in HD but like I said, Im sorry I got it in the 1st place!!

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:04:26 am »
Like Ferg said...get box, quad lnb, and cable of ebay - which I did - £175 all in.   My subs are £37 for subscription, £10 HD, £9.99 Setanta.  It does all mount up...And as mentioned there are not that many HD channels yet.  Great for the Footy, and I like me BBC HD too but there aint much else i spose.
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:09 am »
I'll just wait till sky realise no one wants it and they are going to have to offer it for free in order to justify their investment in HD equipment

should be in about 6-12 months
STFU and agree with me.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:45:05 am »
I'll just wait till sky realise no one wants it and they are going to have to offer it for free in order to justify their investment in HD equipment

should be in about 6-12 months

Didn't you say that 12 months ago.  ;D
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 11:59:55 am »
Didn't you say that 12 months ago.  ;D

Sky certainly are being stubborn, its pretty much the only thing putting me off getting an HD TV, I assumed I'd be going for one in Jan, if Sky maintain pricing and don't start adding more content then who knows another year may pass by, ah well at least TV prices keep going down :)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:13:23 pm »
Football is Quality. It depends how much cash you have at your disposal I suppose. I paid about £170 for the box, including all the twin LNB's, cable, mount ect. Then I paired it when I was in the UK. I think its well worth £10 extra a month for the picture quality. I didnt think I would notice at first, but the Quality campared with bog standard air-to-air broadcast football from ITV is fantastically better.
What is a £10 extra a month these days?

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »
To be fair you would expect it to be better than ITV given ITV isn't even broadcast in Full SD.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 01:47:10 pm »
To be fair you would expect it to be better than ITV given ITV is shit, on the ropes, and broadcasting most of it's programmes aimed at the lowest common denominator.

"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:18:20 am »
Any deals going around at the moment.  One of our friends says he can refer us to Sky+ for free, I suppose once we have that we can just upgrade ourselves to HD and not pay the installation fees again?

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 11:34:34 am »
I have Sky HD and love it. However, I would say that , unlwess you have surround sound that can make use of dolby Digital, I'm not sure the extra picture quality alone is worth the added expense. Maybe on a bigger TV (mine is 46 inch), but with the right sound system, absolutely worth it.

Don't know about any deals now - they were doing reduced installations/boxes for existing customers! :wave

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:48:43 am »
Any deals going around at the moment.  One of our friends says he can refer us to Sky+ for free, I suppose once we have that we can just upgrade ourselves to HD and not pay the installation fees again?

I tried 3 times to get free installation with Sky for my HD box but they wouldn't play ball. It's only a matter of swapping cables and matching the card to your box and taking out a new HD subscription, but they wanted £65 for the privilege. Ended up sourcing the box myself, you can now get them off E Bay for less than £250 and do the phone call to Sky yourself, saving yourself over £100.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:55:52 am »
I've had HD since launch and the football's great, movies are very good, sky one OK, I really like the BBC HD stuff (probably watch that more than anything).

Picture quality is important to me and I get more enjoyment from a  film or match if it's in HD so for me it's worth £10 a month (the HD box had a big memory too so you're unlikely to run out of space if you record mostly SD stuff). For ther majority of people though I'd say don't bother yet.

It's good that Channel 4 have launched a channel but it looks to me that most of it isn't proper HD.

Think about what you watch most of, for me it's football, movies and some natural history, if you're the same I'd say £2.50 a week is worth it. Otherwise, don't bother yet.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »
No I deffo want it :D just wanted to know what deals were about or if anyone was aware of this.

I heard a rumour that the SKY+ refer a friend had finished and it is only vouchers now, not free box/installation e.t.c?

hoonin

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 12:03:22 pm »
Yeah, agree entirely with Jason there.

The BBC HD channel gives a tantalising glimpse of what's to come and footy on a Plasma TV is miles better in HD. Apart from that though there isn't much to shout about.

Ch4 recently launched a HD channel but every time I look its SD content. Loads of the other channels are the same or just play upscaled SD content, which is noticeable.

The fact is there isn't much original TV being made at the monent due to the cost of it all, so it's hard to see much new and original HD content coming along. If you want to spend the money then dont expect much after the initial "WOW" factor wears off.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 12:12:32 pm »
Bit late now but Currys were doing it for £110 installed at the end of last year.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:13:25 pm »
Well I have a Sky digi box (not plus or anything) and with scart the pic isnt great. Want to watch it over HDMI and get a better pic e.t.c

Doing my head in on scart to be fair. Compared to watching stuff on the PS3 it is horrible.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 03:12:23 pm »
If you've just got a standard box I'd probably recommend it on the basis you get a fucking big sky+ memory, as long as you know the downside and accept you're not going to see a difference for 80% of your viewing.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »
If you've just got a standard box I'd probably recommend it on the basis you get a fucking big sky+ memory, as long as you know the downside and accept you're not going to see a difference for 80% of your viewing.

Yeah but the other 20% will be worth £10 a month, alone.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:07 pm »
Just got another flyer through, and Sky are offering Sky+ for free and Sky HD for £99 installed for new customers.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
Just got another flyer through, and Sky are offering Sky+ for free and Sky HD for £99 installed for new customers.

Is that including the box Keith?

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 04:32:39 pm »
I got sky HD but it'a not worth the money yet, not that many channels at the moment but it's great for the sports but not for £10 extra a month plus the overpriced box

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 04:40:13 pm »
I got sky HD but it'a not worth the money yet, not that many channels at the moment but it's great for the sports but not for £10 extra a month plus the overpriced box

Piss off newbie.  :wanker

Only messing. ;)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:30 pm »
Is that including the box Keith?

Yes mate, but I should add, it's refer a friend type of flyer. Although I do get £50 of M&S vouchers if anyone partakes.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:02:01 pm by keithcun »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 05:07:09 pm »
Keith, my friend has Sky+.  Can they refer me but with me taking the HD offer?  Would that be workable you think?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
Keith, my friend has Sky+.  Can they refer me but with me taking the HD offer?  Would that be workable you think?

I don't know what they are like on the promotional side, such as, will they do the offer for people without the flyer. Also, it's new customers only, isn't it always. Do you currently have Sky or had it in the past?

If you want, I can PM you the details (you can have one of my offers) when I get home from work, on nights at the mo, as what you need to do and the code numbers I've got, I have 2 but I think the in laws may bite the bullet and take up the offer which will leave one spare.

Just to add, you still need to take the £10 per month HD subscription out as I didn't make that clear in my earlier post.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:50:25 pm by keithcun »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
I don't know what they are like on the promotional side, such as, will they do the offer for people without the flyer. Also, it's new customers only, isn't it always. Do you currently have Sky or had it in the past?

If you want, I can PM you the details (you can have one of my offers) when I get home from work, on nights at the mo, as what you need to do and the code numbers I've got, I have 2 but I think the in laws may bite the bullet and take up the offer which will leave one spare.

Just to add, you still need to take the £10 per month HD subscription out as I didn't make that clear in my earlier post.

Hiya mate.  I have had Sky in the family house but moving out now so so I personally am a new customer.  If you can and are happy to send me the codes then please do, would be much appreciated.

I am happyt paying the monthly fee for HD, but just dont want to spend stupid amounts to get the box and have it installed so a deal like this is perfec'

Ta

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 07:55:28 am »
I had my SkyHD box off eBay as I refused to pay £300 plus £60 to swap out my Sky+ box that already uses a Quad LNB. Got the box for £170 and been really pleased with it so far.

The £10 monthly fee is just about viable given the content on the channels but that can only improve I guess.

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 10:17:13 am »
Had it about a year now...bought me box, lnb cable etc of ebay - fitted meself so saved a fair few quid...have no qualms regarding cost presently....footy in HD is fandabbydosie!  Shame therre is not more HD content available yet though.....
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 02:45:06 pm »
Just got my flyer through the post for Introduce a Friend to Sky+. If anyone wants to take the offer up of a free Sky+ box with free installation then give me a shout for the referral code.   :wave
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »
Just got my flyer through the post for Introduce a Friend to Sky+. If anyone wants to take the offer up of a free Sky+ box with free installation then give me a shout for the referral code.   :wave

Yes please!

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:39 pm »
Just got my flyer through the post for Introduce a Friend to Sky+. If anyone wants to take the offer up of a free Sky+ box with free installation then give me a shout for the referral code.   :wave

Are they offering Sky HD for £100 as well?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 05:10:02 pm »
Whats this about Freesat HD? 

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 05:41:26 pm »
Whats this about Freesat HD? 

Don't know, but I'm not sure what HD channels they are going to have on there as Sky have a monopoly on most of them.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 06:27:09 pm »
Keith, it mentions something like BBC and ITV offering HD channels free for the first year.  Something like £200 to get the box and satelite but then no subscriptions.  Wondered if anyone heard anything more about it?

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 07:35:09 pm »
Don't know, but I'm not sure what HD channels they are going to have on there as Sky have a monopoly on most of them.

BBC HD, 4HD ITV HD (when it launches in the not too distant future) & five HD again when it launches.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 07:56:04 pm »
Ben, is that exclusive to freesat?  Or will it launch on Sky as a HD channel ala the BBC HD channels on there now?