Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 181205 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1320 on: December 5, 2022, 05:20:31 pm »

For the same speed I pay £33pm with unlimited any time calls (TT).
Fucking thieving bunch of c*nts
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1321 on: December 5, 2022, 05:36:32 pm »
Fucking thieving bunch of c*nts

When I switched I gave BT the chance to better their offer & they flat out called me a liar,was £25pm with a free mobile sim which I didn't tell BT about.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1322 on: March 25, 2023, 10:00:36 am »
So as it turned out for me, private road in York, BT have no plans to update me at all until at least 2027 :/ and being with Plusnet who are basically BT i was stuck at 27mbps

Finally got Cityfibre activated in my area and got shot of Plusnet for 1gig line next month.

The only downside is that I'm now finding out that fewer and fewer ISPs are giving email accounts out :/ you have to use webmail crap!!! Plusnet will no longer retain old email addresses so now have to go through every website I use and alter emails......fun!

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1323 on: March 25, 2023, 09:15:34 pm »
People still use ISP email in the 21st century? 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1324 on: March 25, 2023, 09:17:06 pm »
Says BenRAWK83@aol.com

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1325 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:27 pm »
FFS, now I'm going to get loads of spam  ;D .
  Only FTTC available here although syncs at 80Mbit so not terrible. Not sure I need any more, though the temptation to bond my connection with a 5G sim for downloads is tempting. 

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1326 on: April 4, 2023, 10:01:11 am »
Not tried this myself, but it looks like Virgin Media will send you up to 2 mesh 'pods' if you get less than 20MB/s at places in your house.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1327 on: April 4, 2023, 11:43:19 am »

I'm with Vodafone for broadband and contract period is ending soon . They've already said they're increasing the prices , so just checked what deals they're offering ( not much as it goes ).

This has been tagged on at the bottom of the page the deals are on :

*Each April, your monthly plan charge will increase by an amount equal to the Consumer Price Index rate published by the Office for National Statistics in January (CPI rate) plus an additional 3.9% on top of the CPI rate. We will apply that CPI rate plus 3.9% adjustment from your April bill. In the event that the CPI rate is negative, this will be ignored but the additional 3.9% will still apply.

The bolded bit pissed me off - smacks of arrogance big time .

Anyway , looking at the various deals offered at the moment , Virgin has a decent offer at the moment - 264Mb for £ 32.50 a month !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1328 on: April 4, 2023, 01:41:55 pm »
I'm with Vodafone for broadband and contract period is ending soon . They've already said they're increasing the prices , so just checked what deals they're offering ( not much as it goes ).

This has been tagged on at the bottom of the page the deals are on :

*Each April, your monthly plan charge will increase by an amount equal to the Consumer Price Index rate published by the Office for National Statistics in January (CPI rate) plus an additional 3.9% on top of the CPI rate. We will apply that CPI rate plus 3.9% adjustment from your April bill. In the event that the CPI rate is negative, this will be ignored but the additional 3.9% will still apply.

The bolded bit pissed me off - smacks of arrogance big time .

Anyway , looking at the various deals offered at the moment , Virgin has a decent offer at the moment - 264Mb for £ 32.50 a month !

That's capitalism for you.  Profit, profit, profit, but we wont return the favour, if costs reduce  ;)

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1329 on: April 5, 2023, 01:34:24 pm »
That's capitalism for you.  Profit, profit, profit, but we wont return the favour, if costs reduce  ;)

Aye , it seems like everyone is jumping on it !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1330 on: April 5, 2023, 01:46:02 pm »

Anyone using 3 broadband ?

Offering good deals at the moment but don't know much about them or how reliable it is - £ 20.00/month for 150MB average speed .
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 01:49:48 pm by Spongebob Redpants »

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #1331 on: May 11, 2023, 10:50:17 am »
Does anyone know of any good providers of 4g/5g broadband for home use?
I'm moving soon to a place that doesn't have a landline and will need broadband. Don't want to be tied in to a long term contract as only likely to be there for 9 months or so.
Doesn't need to be anything super fancy, just enough to work from home/teams meetings etc... and regular tv streaming.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1332 on: July 1, 2023, 08:29:45 am »
(Hopefully) moving soon to a slightly more rural place that has approx. 30mb broadband max. Is that enough for two of us to video conference, stream HD etc.? Seems OK but I'm used to 55mb so thought I'd ask.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1333 on: July 1, 2023, 10:19:51 am »
Yeah it’s fine. MS Teams uses about 1.5Mb for 1080p video

Netflix I think recommends 5Mb for HD and 15Mb for 4K

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1334 on: July 1, 2023, 12:46:29 pm »
Yeah it’s fine. MS Teams uses about 1.5Mb for 1080p video

Netflix I think recommends 5Mb for HD and 15Mb for 4K
Thanks mate, I'm just a bit paranoid as I work from home a lot and need to stream the cricket at the same time  ;D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1335 on: July 1, 2023, 03:27:33 pm »
You looked into Starlink?

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1336 on: July 1, 2023, 05:23:32 pm »
You looked into Starlink?
No, but thanks for the tip. That's an interesting (if expensive) option if things are getting bottle necked. Never heard of it before.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2023, 05:26:22 pm by Vote For Pedro »

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1337 on: July 2, 2023, 10:16:27 pm »
No, but thanks for the tip. That's an interesting (if expensive) option if things are getting bottle necked. Never heard of it before.

Ive been using it for a couple of years now, since we moved to a more rurual location. Works well, I'm on video calls all day when at home.

Was a bit sketchy initially, but has gotten better over time. Averages about 150Mb down and 15Mb up for us.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #1338 on: July 15, 2023, 09:03:07 am »
Currently with Sky Superfast 35 paying £19/month but only getting 15/17mbps as FTTP hasn't been installed here yet.

Internet is ok to stream our Smart TV (YouTube, Netflix), use our mobile phones and both work from home but sometimes it can be really slow (especially upstairs) as our router is downstairs.

Is there anything we can do to get a faster speed? I've tried Antennas in the past which worked well but due to the weather can be very hit and miss, which is why I moved to broadband as it's more reliable.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2023, 09:10:21 am »
If you live in the sticks I believe there is a discount to buy the gear needed. Like £100 rather than £400 kinda discount

It also has ridiculous ping so if you game it should be incredible for FPSs.

No idea on download/uploud limits though.

If I do ever get out of the urban sprawl I will 100% be getting it.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2023, 09:17:43 am »
If you live in the sticks I believe there is a discount to buy the gear needed. Like £100 rather than £400 kinda discount

It also has ridiculous ping so if you game it should be incredible for FPSs.

No idea on download/uploud limits though.

If I do ever get out of the urban sprawl I will 100% be getting it.

Ping will typically higher via Starlink, not lower. Think latency is about 50ms. You won’t notice this on downloads and video calls but probably would see a slight difference using it for online gaming.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1341 on: July 15, 2023, 09:23:48 am »
Ping will typically higher via Starlink, not lower. Think latency is about 50ms. You won’t notice this on downloads and video calls but probably would see a slight difference using it for online gaming.
That's odd, when i looked into it recently, the marketing said speeds as low as 1ms. Maybe i misread it as it definately wasn;t what i was expecting

Edit: I defo read it wrong....they are aiming for 20-40 but real world averages are around 50 which means half are above that...which is a bit shite.

Still probably beats ping in rural areas, depending on your distance from the golden, sorry green, box
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:26:46 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1342 on: July 15, 2023, 09:31:52 am »
That's odd, when i looked into it recently, the marketing said speeds as low as 1ms. Maybe i misread it as it definately wasn;t what i was expecting

Edit: I defo read it wrong....they are aiming for 20-40 but real world averages are around 50 which means half are above that...which is a bit shite.

Still probably beats ping in rural areas, depending on your distance from the golden, sorry green, box

We've started using Starlink for our rigs at work, replacing traditional satellite (VSAT).... can confirm ping is around 50ms, down from about 6-700ms. That's where Starlink shines - its a massive improvement for people whose only option before was satellite.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1343 on: July 15, 2023, 10:58:01 am »

Does light travel slower in rural areas?

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1344 on: July 15, 2023, 11:00:05 am »
FTTP not available here yet so stuck on FTTC for at least another year. Now Broadband currently on offer for 80Mbit at just under £16 / month overall via Top cash back. Not a bad savjng for me with BTs rip off price hikes.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1345 on: July 15, 2023, 01:28:18 pm »
Does light travel slower in rural areas?
Haha no I meant in comparison to wired internet options in rural areas.....centralised cabinets can cover really large areas...if you are out in the sticks can mean you are a proper ways away and suffer from terrible ping.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1346 on: July 21, 2023, 06:26:32 am »
Virgin are among the worst company to deal with. Advisor after advisor doesn't know what they are talking about and I think my bill has been correct less than half the time in the last 12 months.

Come contract expiry they offered me a £28.75 discount each month and there lies the problem.

That was supposed to go on as a recurring discount and it's barely been correct.

I'm now arguing with them over a insignificant amount but the principle is they've messed up and I'm not giving up.

I've looked into other providers and I'm amazed that someone living 1.5 miles from "the second city" Virgin are the only company offering anything over a snails speed.

I'm not a gamer but when I've been on slow speeds before my work has struggled.

So, WhatsApp conversation with Virgin have said "you're not on a contract", I've looked at three and they are now offering some impressive speeds in my area on a 30 day basis cheaper than I'm paying these inept mo fos.

I can see someone else asked about three a few months back. I've asked my circle of friends but no one uses them. May just take the plunge for a month to see how it goes and bin Virgin off.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: July 21, 2023, 11:32:15 am »
If you get good service from Virgin but hate their customer services and only want to keep broadband - have a look at their business service, absolute night and day.

I'm not self employed but they were happy enough that it's business use as I'm perm WFH.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1348 on: July 24, 2023, 12:02:31 pm »
FTTP not available here yet so stuck on FTTC for at least another year. Now Broadband currently on offer for 80Mbit at just under £16 / month overall via Top cash back. Not a bad savjng for me with BTs rip off price hikes.

Seems to be £90 cashback via quidco which would make it about £13.50 / month. Bargain.  Mines gone live today.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #1349 on: July 24, 2023, 12:04:42 pm »
Seems to be £90 cashback via quidco which would make it about £13.50 / month. Bargain.  Mines gone live today.

What ISP is that?

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1350 on: July 24, 2023, 12:15:43 pm »
What ISP is that?
Now Broadband.  Sky basically.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1351 on: July 24, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »
Switched to YouFibre a couple of months ago as they were installing FTTP in the area.  1000mbps £1 for 10 months and then £29.99 for the remaining 14 months.  Service has been brilliant so far and real world speeds are 960mbps on a wried connection and getting between 300mbps-700mbps on wifi depending on where I am in the house and what device I'm using. They give you a decent Arris router as well if you ask for one rather than one of the Eero ones.

150mbps is £21.99, 500mbps is £27.99, but I was only getting the £1 for 10 months offer on the 1000mbps so it would have been rude not to go with that  :D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: July 24, 2023, 03:27:20 pm »
I’ve been using eero kit for a couple of years now and I find it very very good. Just jumped on the Speedtest app, getting 720Mbps and that’s on an iPhone.  I’m connected to the eero Gateway which is on another floor of the house.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1353 on: July 24, 2023, 03:55:52 pm »
I’ve been using eero kit for a couple of years now and I find it very very good. Just jumped on the Speedtest app, getting 720Mbps and that’s on an iPhone.  I’m connected to the eero Gateway which is on another floor of the house.

I wasn't keen on the Eero purely because it lacked ethernet ports and I have 4 hard wired devices coming off the router.  I would have had to use a switch which would have meant more cables and the less clutter the better  ;D

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1354 on: July 24, 2023, 05:10:42 pm »
Meh Chuck it all in a drawer, except the access point.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: July 26, 2023, 04:02:22 pm »
Anyone's Virgin Hub 4 gone bust lately? Mine started flashing red today and no internet/tv. Rang them - they told me to reset the box which I did and it didn't work. They can get an engineer to me on Monday at the earliest! Shocking to have no service for 4 days.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1356 on: July 26, 2023, 04:45:03 pm »
Could be an issue at the cabinet but Virgin won’t know until 2 or 3 more customers from the same cabinet call up and report the fault. If and when that happens it flags up on their system and they’ll send a network engineer to the cabinet within a couple of hours.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1357 on: July 26, 2023, 04:49:43 pm »
Nothing like having proactive monitoring.  If multiple customers have to tell them something is broken, they are clearly incompetent.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1358 on: July 26, 2023, 04:56:20 pm »
Not defending them but there’s limited ways to proactively monitor several million devices, many of which will be switched off at the mains by customers when not in use.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1359 on: July 26, 2023, 05:27:13 pm »

I think they are really good too. I have the 6+ (bought when on offer) as they have dual ethernet on each. Swapped to eero after gigabit powerlines were giving me poor speeds - the same ones worked fine at previous house so assume is distance on the wiring.

Have one by my desktop via ethernet and is solid.

Only issue I have had so far, I could not get a UPnP device (my cctv) to work through the eero. But, I think this is actually to do with Skys hub, as it doesn't have a proper bridging mode. I have had to do a double NAT config and go direct into the sky hub with the UPnP device.