Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 471233 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #80 on: August 6, 2007, 05:27:29 pm »
Nah it's more for the model I was looking at, the 2.4Ghz 15" MBP.

To get the pricing equal, it'd be the model down from that, but if what Baz said applies (the free 3yr warranty) it might be worth taking the step down.

just so you know, maybe others can confirm or correct me on this, I'm pretty sure your warranty is invalidated as soon as you install windows on your mac?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #81 on: August 6, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »
I have to have one open at a time, for best performance, hence me noticing it now, when I am having to switch between Ai, Fl & PS all the time.

Running fine with just those shown open, however if I add Ai to that it will die a death :(

Looked into it earlier and got this...

which leads me to assume that photoshop CS3 is the worst processor hog I've ever seen... (you can see the difference, below, with it and CS1 for CPU use when open)

Plus bridge is shite and crashy, and they've made layer linking more difficult in PS - all in all, a thumbs down, and I'm off back to CS 1.

(CS3 illustrator is very good, though)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2007, 05:30:29 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 6, 2007, 05:29:45 pm »
just so you know, maybe others can confirm or correct me on this, I'm pretty sure your warranty is invalidated as soon as you install windows on your mac?

:o

Someone's offered me real cash money for this laptop, so I'm definately looking for one now, and if that's true, then fuck getting a Mac.

Plus, the free warranty Baz was on about isn't coming up as being free when you go to buy it, do you have to buy it over the phone?

edit.

After a quick google, people are saying Bootcamp comes installed now as part of OSX, so surely Apple will be fine with you installing XP, as if they don't want you to, what's the point of having the facility available?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2007, 05:34:31 pm by Claire. »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 6, 2007, 05:34:07 pm »

Definitely not true.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/04/11.2.shtml

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 6, 2007, 10:21:58 pm »

Nope not true at all- Apple just won't give you advice on running Windows on your Mac (not really a problem- BootCamp seems easy enough to run XP/Vista, and there's loads of stuff on the net about it)- but warranty's definitely intact. Even then, when Leopard comes out (is it worth waiting for this? Saying that I might not have a choice- if it's out in October I might just miss out- need the laptop by the end of September) that might change I think (or so I read somewhere). Probably something to do with BootCamp still being a beta?

:o

Someone's offered me real cash money for this laptop, so I'm definately looking for one now, and if that's true, then fuck getting a Mac.

Plus, the free warranty Baz was on about isn't coming up as being free when you go to buy it, do you have to buy it over the phone?

edit.

After a quick google, people are saying Bootcamp comes installed now as part of OSX, so surely Apple will be fine with you installing XP, as if they don't want you to, what's the point of having the facility available?

The free 3 years warranty is if you buy it from your uni (there's 2 'education' areas on their site- one of which you can only access from a uni; that's the one with the bigger discounts)- which is why I can't buy the Macbook just yet! You could phone them up (although I tried so many times today and they didn't pick up!) and ask- I think you'd get a better discount on the MBP instore, but the warranty would not be free but heavily discounted (£58 or something down from around £200ish). So probably works out the same...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 6, 2007, 10:57:54 pm »
I've ordered it ;D

Did it over the phone, got the 3yrs warranty for free and don't know what the exact % the discount worked out at but it was more than the edu store price I saw before phoning up, worked out at £1,160.

If this fucker doesn't hold it's value, Nidge, I'll be havin words ;)

Oh, and they're having some kind of mad demand so it's gonna take like 3 weeks to come, so I suppose it gives me plenty of time to back up all my stuff on this laptop before it goes to it's new home.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 6, 2007, 10:59:42 pm »
I've ordered it ;D

The devil called. He said can you switch the heating back on, because it's distinctly cold in hell.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 6, 2007, 11:13:56 pm »
I've ordered it ;D

Did it over the phone, got the 3yrs warranty for free and don't know what the exact % the discount worked out at but it was more than the edu store price I saw before phoning up, worked out at £1,160.

If this fucker doesn't hold it's value, Nidge, I'll be havin words ;)

Oh, and they're having some kind of mad demand so it's gonna take like 3 weeks to come, so I suppose it gives me plenty of time to back up all my stuff on this laptop before it goes to it's new home.

Nice! What number did you phone and how did you get the warranty/mega discount- did they ask about your uni etc... proof of student status? I'll have to order mine pretty quickly seeing as there'd be a bit of a wait to get one...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #88 on: August 6, 2007, 11:29:35 pm »
Definitely not true.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/04/11.2.shtml

nice to know! Don't know what the person who gave me bootcamp was on about then!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #89 on: August 6, 2007, 11:31:10 pm »
When are you breaking the news to smiff?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 6, 2007, 11:32:17 pm »
Nope not true at all- Apple just won't give you advice on running Windows on your Mac (not really a problem- BootCamp seems easy enough to run XP/Vista, and there's loads of stuff on the net about it)- but warranty's definitely intact. Even then, when Leopard comes out (is it worth waiting for this? Saying that I might not have a choice- if it's out in October I might just miss out- need the laptop by the end of September) that might change I think (or so I read somewhere). Probably something to do with BootCamp still being a beta?

You'll get software vouchers with your mac which, generally, can be used to get any updated stuff free within a month or two of buying it.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 6, 2007, 11:34:34 pm »
I never got those?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2007, 11:43:54 pm »
The devil called. He said can you switch the heating back on, because it's distinctly cold in hell.

;)

Nice! What number did you phone and how did you get the warranty/mega discount- did they ask about your uni etc... proof of student status? I'll have to order mine pretty quickly seeing as there'd be a bit of a wait to get one...

The one on the website, 0800 summin 1010, they asked what uni and then scan and email the student ID card. I think they're really busy at the mo because people will be ordering them for uni, he said they're coming from the Far East so that's what the delay is, he's put it as priority 1, but i bet they do that for everyone so i can't see it making a blind bit of difference.

When are you breaking the news to smiff?

it's RedFerLife i'm worried about, smiff is lovely, really :P

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2007, 11:46:54 pm »
me neither.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2007, 11:57:55 pm »

The one on the website, 0800 summin 1010, they asked what uni and then scan and email the student ID card. I think they're really busy at the mo because people will be ordering them for uni, he said they're coming from the Far East so that's what the delay is, he's put it as priority 1, but i bet they do that for everyone so i can't see it making a blind bit of difference.

Sounds like I'll have to at least wait a week and a half... they'll need proof that I'd be going uni- and (hopefully) I'll be able to provide them with a letter of confirmation after next week's results. And I was stupidly phoning the store in the Bull Ring... should have just rang the website number!

If it takes 3 weeks then I *should* get it on time.

You'll get software vouchers with your mac which, generally, can be used to get any updated stuff free within a month or two of buying it.

Is that with all macs then... (reason I ask is because of WorldChampions' post)? If so- sounds very fair!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2007, 12:08:10 am »
I didn't get any with my Macbook, I just ordered online through the normal education discount store

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2007, 12:16:51 am »
Sounds like I'll have to at least wait a week and a half... they'll need proof that I'd be going uni- and (hopefully) I'll be able to provide them with a letter of confirmation after next week's results. And I was stupidly phoning the store in the Bull Ring... should have just rang the website number!

If it takes 3 weeks then I *should* get it on time.

Don't know how particular they are about it, but if they demand a student card you'll have to wait til you enrol :-\ Give them a ring tomorrow and ask what the situation is.

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2007, 01:32:16 am »
I reckon we should present this thread to Apple and see if we can get any commission.
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2007, 02:00:10 am »
Don't know how particular they are about it, but if they demand a student card you'll have to wait til you enrol :-\ Give them a ring tomorrow and ask what the situation is.

I think I read somewhere that they just want proof... I think people have gotten discounts even by presenting them with UCAS letter of unconditional offers and gotten the discounts. So hopefully I'll be able to get it with a confirmation letter. Obviously would be easier with a card, but I'm sure they'd understand that I'm going into my first year, and that I wouldn't be able to wait for after I've enrolled to order a laptop- I really do need one by the start of term! Will definitely ring them (on the right number!) to see what's what.

I didn't get any with my Macbook, I just ordered online through the normal education discount store

I'll ask them about it, and see what they say.

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #99 on: August 7, 2007, 08:15:42 am »
Make sure you look into a studentified copy of either Microsoft Office for Mac or have a look at openoffice.org.
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 7, 2007, 08:24:05 am »
I've ordered it ;D

Yesss -knew we'd get you eventually. :D

It was once you started doing them good designs for armin - the mac lover in you took over :D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 7, 2007, 08:25:01 am »
I never got those?

Oh, they're in there - people just never notice them. They'll be a single, very plain looking black and white sheet in with all the documentation.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 7, 2007, 08:29:20 am »
Make sure you look into a studentified copy of either Microsoft Office for Mac or have a look at openoffice.org.

Student & teacher edition is very cheap, and also comes with three licences, so, even if you wanted to go legal, all you need to do is fine two other Mac people to chip in a few £ each and  all 3 get a legal version of office very quick.

http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=104615

£89 for the full version with 3 licences...

Open office is excellent for a free program, but it's not as good as Office 2004.

Offline myrlas