Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 471242 times)

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #40 on: August 4, 2007, 11:06:01 am »
Bought a Macbook last October and despite using Fedora and XP at work, I can't see myself using anything else in the future than the Mac.  Couldn't recommend it highly enough :)
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #41 on: August 4, 2007, 04:22:22 pm »
I bought a 15" MacBookPro last February.

I use it for work more and more these days, although my company gives me an XP Laptop.

Had my Mac for 5 months now. Within 3 weeks of using it I swore I would never go back to a Windows PC again. Macs are just so much simpler - easier. I have an absolutely kick-ass HP Pavilion notebook - 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 3+gHz Intel processor, 19" screen etc... - an absolute beast which I adored but I now love my Mac more.

Bought a Macbook last October and despite using Fedora and XP at work, I can't see myself using anything else in the future than the Mac.  Couldn't recommend it highly enough :)

And still, people think Ephraim and I are mad for telling people Mac is the way to go...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #42 on: August 4, 2007, 04:31:49 pm »
The other standard argument is that there's not really any good software for it.  I can categorically say this is complete bollocks.  There's some absolutely killer apps out there.  One of my favourite features, although I don't use it very often, is the motion sensor inside.  You can tell iTunes that if you tap your macbook on the left hand side, it goes forward a track, if you tap it on the right, it goes back a track.

Expose' (hot corners) is a fantastic feature too. 
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 4, 2007, 04:36:57 pm »
The other standard argument is that there's not really any good software for it.  I can categorically say this is complete bollocks.  There's some absolutely killer apps out there

You're right, there are some frikken awesome apps out. So many well designed applications that work seamlessly with the OS.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 4, 2007, 05:16:36 pm »
The other standard argument is that there's not really any good software for it.  I can categorically say this is complete bollocks.  There's some absolutely killer apps out there.  One of my favourite features, although I don't use it very often, is the motion sensor inside.  You can tell iTunes that if you tap your macbook on the left hand side, it goes forward a track, if you tap it on the right, it goes back a track.

Expose' (hot corners) is a fantastic feature too. 

Love Expose.

I didn't even know about the motion sensor - When I went to google it I thought I was about to become victim of a wind up.

Lo and behold - it's true. You can also use it as a seismograph, and lots of other things.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 4, 2007, 08:07:13 pm »
Lo and behold - it's true. You can also use it as a seismograph, and lots of other things.

Yeah, loads of things make use of that now. If you youtube for smackbook - that should pop up some interesting results. You have to check out 'iAlertU', too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KkAtRfA1UXc&mode=related&search=
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 4, 2007, 10:43:39 pm »
Been doing a lot of googling on the Macbook... and literally everyone's accounts on it/reviews are brilliant. Most (if not all) said that they wouldn't go back to a PC now that they've had a Mac (2 people said this and they claimed to have developed for Windows for years, and years).

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: August 5, 2007, 12:45:25 pm »
iAlertU is class!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2007, 04:05:33 pm »
Been doing a lot of googling on the Macbook... and literally everyone's accounts on it/reviews are brilliant. Most (if not all) said that they wouldn't go back to a PC now that they've had a Mac

It's the typical story, that.

It's why people have PC's to use, but people actually LIKE their mac.

Claire on here is the only person I;ve ever encountered who ha used a mac a decent amount and prefers a PC.

Aside from that, literally EVERYONE I know who's used both for any ecent amount of time prefers Mac.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #49 on: August 6, 2007, 08:07:39 am »
I'm going for the monster I think ;)

17 inch with highest resolution and upgraded RAM.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 6, 2007, 08:12:30 am »
I'm going for the monster I think ;)

17 inch with highest resolution and upgraded RAM.

Really nice machine. Will be nice, although 2gb RAM should be enough. Anything else is a bonus.

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 6, 2007, 08:20:33 am »
Really nice machine. Will be nice, although 2gb RAM should be enough. Anything else is a bonus.

My only concern is that I'm not able to test it before I buy it. All shops here are empty :(
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 6, 2007, 11:14:31 am »
Seems to be a few new Mac users around and a few more looking to buy a Mac. You might want to check out my new blog for Mac related tips and applications etc.

Specifically this article that highlights some cool applications.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 6, 2007, 11:57:39 am »
Seems to be a few new Mac users around and a few more looking to buy a Mac. You might want to check out my new blog for Mac related tips and applications etc.

Specifically this article that highlights some cool applications.

Will definately be downloading a few of those apps...

are you a fan of this site, by any chance?

http://coolosxapps.net/

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 6, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
Will definately be downloading a few of those apps...

are you a fan of this site, by any chance?

http://coolosxapps.net/

Yeah, I use it occasionally and pick out a few apps but there is a fair amount of dross on that site. I get pretty anal about the apps I 'allow' onto my Mac. Don't like shit hanging around.

EDIT: Just found "resize 'Em All" on that site. Looks a good little application (being a photoshop nerd I don't need it, but definitely a cool app to recommend people)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2007, 12:02:15 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 6, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »
Yeah, I use it occasionally and pick out a few apps but there is a fair amount of dross on that site. I get pretty anal about the apps I 'allow' onto my Mac. Don't like shit hanging around.

EDIT: Just found "resize 'Em All" on that site. Looks a good little application (being a photoshop nerd I don't need it, but definitely a cool app to recommend people)

The apps to removed DRM from itunes files could be useful as well.

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 6, 2007, 12:25:47 pm »
Do you guys have any ideas about the hi-res screens on the MBP?

Is it worth it?

What would you reccomend of glossy or normal screen?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 6, 2007, 12:29:45 pm »
Do you guys have any ideas about the hi-res screens on the MBP?

Personally, I wouldn't want more than the 1680 x 1050 on a screen that size.

What would you reccomend of glossy or normal screen?

Depends what you are going to want to do with the machine. Let me know what you will be doing and it will be pretty easy to tell.

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 6, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »
I'm not a pro. So I know the colours will be more "fresh" with the glossy screen.

I'll use it for my private entertainment. Pictures, music, movies, media center connected to my PS3 if I want an even bigger screen :)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #59 on: August 6, 2007, 12:34:08 pm »
I only have a ibook G4 it handles Adobe CS3 without any real issues (despite only having 512MB of Ram)......Although I would love to be upgrading at some stage for two reasons......

1) Lo's Laptop is about ready to bite the dust so want her to have this ibook
2) I am needing Ai, PS, Fl, iTunes, Firefox, Skype, Word, and other all open at the same time and could do with a MacBook Pro :D

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 6, 2007, 12:34:17 pm »
I'm not a pro. So I know the colours will be more "fresh" with the glossy screen.

I'll use it for my private entertainment. Pictures, music, movies, media center connected to my PS3 if I want an even bigger screen :)

Glossy. Definitely.

Offline myrlas