Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 471251 times)

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #160 on: August 8, 2007, 09:56:41 pm »

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #161 on: August 8, 2007, 09:58:24 pm »
If he was a real schemer he would have already talked his mum into buying him one.

My parents? £2.5k?

I'm lucky to get £2.50 for a bleeding Saveaway.

They'll stop that when I get my college bus pass, too.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 8, 2007, 09:59:13 pm »
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #163 on: August 8, 2007, 10:10:40 pm »

I only realised that connotation when it was too late...

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 8, 2007, 10:11:01 pm »
My parents? £2.5k?

I'm lucky to get £2.50 for a bleeding Saveaway.

They'll stop that when I get my college bus pass, too.

I'm only playing mate. Fucking expensive these machines, definitely not something you want to get into debt over. Actually, can I just give you one piece of advice for life - try not to get into debt at all - it's a hideous burden. A mortgage is one thing, you have an investment that will (normally) grow in value and you can sell and repay (and make profit) but debt for clothes/holidays/whores/Macs  just is never worth it (well, maybe whores). I got into a lot of debt when I was younger but luckily I made a handsome sum taking the bit of advice regarding mortgages ;) and it didn't effect me, but I was lucky.

Anyway... enough of that.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2007, 10:12:33 pm by Ephraim Longworth »
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 8, 2007, 10:14:23 pm »
Saving for it will make it really special for you, too.

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #166 on: August 8, 2007, 10:20:09 pm »
I'm only playing mate.

I know mate, I'm only playing back.

First tenner has already gone in.

Expect to see me on the gates at Anfield this coming season. Working hard. Ripping your ticket.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 8, 2007, 10:27:24 pm »
I know mate, I'm only playing back.

Does that mean we're playing with each other.

You sue you didn't mean gimp suit ;D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 8, 2007, 10:27:34 pm »
Rob would you need a top of the line MBP for your needs? Sounds a bit much!

Got about 1 and a half months until I go uni... so I've got a few weeks before I can order my Macbook... hoping for some info on Leopard and any potential deals involving ipods/printers! Or I might just cave in and order it as soon as (really want the Macbook now!)
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #169 on: August 8, 2007, 11:45:58 pm »
Rob would you need a top of the line MBP for your needs? Sounds a bit much!

Got about 1 and a half months until I go uni... so I've got a few weeks before I can order my Macbook... hoping for some info on Leopard and any potential deals involving ipods/printers! Or I might just cave in and order it as soon as (really want the Macbook now!)

Screen size - Audio apps take up a lot of it.
Ram - needs as much as you can afford
hard drive - needs to be good due to write speeds
processor - fastest you can afford.

the issue is to do with latency, disk space and just sheer power. recording 4-5 tracks at the same time is a massive draw. i only understand it because i've had it drummed into me.

Macs, however, shite all over anything Windows for it, and it's worth coughing up if your potentially unlimited track multitrack not only looks shiny but can run msn.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 8, 2007, 11:52:10 pm »
Screen size - Audio apps take up a lot of it.
Ram - needs as much as you can afford
hard drive - needs to be good due to write speeds
processor - fastest you can afford.

the issue is to do with latency, disk space and just sheer power. recording 4-5 tracks at the same time is a massive draw. i only understand it because i've had it drummed into me.

Macs, however, shite all over anything Windows for it, and it's worth coughing up if your potentially unlimited track multitrack not only looks shiny but can run msn.

Ah right- well you've got a couple of years to save up- and I'm guessing you'll get a lot more for your money then as well.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #171 on: August 9, 2007, 12:46:27 pm »
Ah right- well you've got a couple of years to save up- and I'm guessing you'll get a lot more for your money then as well.

Yes, and if anyone so much as breathes on it I'm going to chase them down the street kicking the shite out of them.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #172 on: August 9, 2007, 05:37:05 pm »
Did test the MBP in a store today for about 30 minutes.

My review:

- 17inch screeen is BIG. Will most likely go for 15.
- It's extremely HOT. I literally burned my fingers when i touched it on the underside.
- I was disappointed about the touchpad.

In fact I'm almost getting second thoughts now.

For my private use I will have it in my lap quite often. And I won't burn my bollocks off...so...? When I have it in my lap i can't use an external mouse. Would it then be annoying with a touchpad I don't like?

Feedback please..
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 9, 2007, 05:40:33 pm »
You'll get used to the touchpad in like a couple of days, no sweat. You'll get used to it, then you'll love it, then you won't be able to live without it.

Regarding the heat - be very careful when judging stuff against display models. When they have been used by a billion people, running 24/7 and general treated like shit, they don't always represent the truth. For all you know people could have been running really disc/processor intensive stuff for an hour before you used it... and the vents can get blocked etc etc. Should not ever burn your skin though. They do get very arm, my powerbook sure did.

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #174 on: August 9, 2007, 05:42:52 pm »
Did test the MBP in a store today for about 30 minutes.

My review:

- 17inch screeen is BIG. Will most likely go for 15.
- It's extremely HOT. I literally burned my fingers when i touched it on the underside.
- I was disappointed about the touchpad.

In fact I'm almost getting second thoughts now.

For my private use I will have it in my lap quite often. And I won't burn my bollocks off...so...? When I have it in my lap i can't use an external mouse. Would it then be annoying with a touchpad I don't like?

Feedback please..

It's a Macbook Pro.

Surely you can put up with occasionally burning the tip of your penis.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 9, 2007, 05:44:09 pm »
Surely you can put up with occasionally burning the tip of your penis.

Well, when you dress head to toe in plastic, what else could possibly more of a turn on.

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 9, 2007, 06:18:18 pm »
But it's 15 inch now.

Feel kind of disappointed. Almost like looking forward to an argie intl match in 86 - only to find out maradona is injured
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #177 on: August 9, 2007, 06:26:46 pm »
They do get warm, but not all the time. If you were burning a CD/DVD for example, you wouldn't have it on your lap for the duration, well I wouldn't anyway, so If that's the case then it wont matter that much. In normal use, Surfing, using Word/Exel and touching up the web site I never notice the heat much, although I always warn the lad when he uses it because he usually has shorts on.

I have the 15" and love it. I was also going to go for the 17" but as I'm always on the go I decided to be sensible for once.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 9, 2007, 06:35:06 pm »
Just wondering actually, I have a strange thing about laptops and their batteries, ie i don't like to leave the battery in it if it's going to be plugged in for a length of time, my mate had a MBP and i can't remember ever seeing like a slot where the battery slides in and out of, is it easy to get access to and remove it?

Offline polared

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #179 on: August 9, 2007, 06:43:03 pm »
the battery is a bit like a brick set in to the underside and is easy to takeout, but it does leave the bay exposed and whilst there's a small pcb which is protected with a sheet of plastic there are a few cables that you could snag if you're not careful. if you place it on a stand it should be alright
must not post when i´m pissed
must not post when i´m pisst
musht nah pist when am post

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 9, 2007, 06:54:20 pm »
Todays demo didn't enlighten me regarding glossy screen though. The one i tested was NOT glossy

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #181 on: August 9, 2007, 07:58:40 pm »
Just wondering actually, I have a strange thing about laptops and their batteries, ie i don't like to leave the battery in it if it's going to be plugged in for a length of time, my mate had a MBP and i can't remember ever seeing like a slot where the battery slides in and out of, is it easy to get access to and remove it?

I had my powerbook plugged in 24/7 and used it as a proper computer with external monitor etc.. for about 18 months and the battery is still fine. Lasts about 90mins when just surfing/using word docs. The machine itself is about 2 years old. Wouldn't worry about it personally!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 9, 2007, 08:09:46 pm »
the battery is a bit like a brick set in to the underside and is easy to takeout, but it does leave the bay exposed and whilst there's a small pcb which is protected with a sheet of plastic there are a few cables that you could snag if you're not careful. if you place it on a stand it should be alright

doesn't sound too good, does it ;D I'll er, be leaving the battery alone then.

I had my powerbook plugged in 24/7 and used it as a proper computer with external monitor etc.. for about 18 months and the battery is still fine. Lasts about 90mins when just surfing/using word docs. The machine itself is about 2 years old. Wouldn't worry about it personally!

I'm only worrying about it cos I've completely spazzed the battery on this laptop by constantly leaving it plugged in ;D

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 9, 2007, 09:42:06 pm »
Feedback please..

Have to admit when I first got mine and I used to have it on my lap it did get uncomfortably hot but then I invested in one of these beauties and have never looked back. It somehow prevents my macbook from heating up like it used to.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline myrlas