Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 471253 times)

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« on: August 3, 2007, 01:49:43 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a new laptop, and after some research it seems like i'm going for a macbook pro.

I'm not a gamer(I use PS3 to play), and i use my laptop for music, pictures, movies, torrents, and general surfing and chatting...and the occational office document.

Is there anyone on here who use macbook pro? Do you have the latest version with LED screens?

What's your experiences with it?

How big screen do you have. I drool for a 17-inch, but i'm not sure if I need it.

Please share your experiences with your macbook/macbook pro with everyone here.

Thanks in advance  :wave
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:02:32 pm by Graeme »
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2007, 01:54:03 pm »
I bought a macbook for using the same things as you aswell as abit of photoshop and it i much easier and more reliable than any windows laptop I have had

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
Put 2gb of RAM in - it makes a huge difference. I think more so than on the windows platform.

as for the MBP - really nice machines. I'd go with teh 15inch, easily big enough screen (good res) and not bulky like the 17. To be fair, a macbook would do everything you want it to do, MBP are purdy though.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2007, 02:01:31 pm »
Put 2gb of RAM in - it makes a huge difference. I think more so than on the windows platform.

as for the MBP - really nice machines. I'd go with teh 15inch, easily big enough screen (good res) and not bulky like the 17.

The cheap or expensive model of the 15?

The difference lies in the graphic card I think
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2007, 02:14:32 pm »
The cheap or expensive model of the 15?

The difference lies in the graphic card I think

Depends really, have you got a bit of cash to spend? If you're doing well and have a bit spare, go for the more expensive but if you're on a budget I'd get the cheaper one and upgrade the ram.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2007, 02:17:20 pm »
Ooops - just remembered, they come with 2gb anyway

Personally, I'd go with teh cheaper one and spend the extra (or some of it) on a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, a nice case and maybe a sexy stand for it to go on.

If you're a richy pants, go for the more expensive one ;)
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 02:19:19 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline myrlas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2007, 02:18:04 pm »
I'm rich as fuck!

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2007, 02:21:13 pm »
Have had mine for over a year now and I can't recommend one highly enough. Superb machine and as Ephraim said upgrade the RAM to 2GB and you're flying. Bought mine as a refurb and it came without a scratch or mark on it. Highly recommend going down this route as you can save as much as £200-300 if not more - depending on which spec you go for.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=3C893A3B&nclm=Certified
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 02:25:41 pm by kmo1969 »
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2007, 02:33:08 pm »
Have had mine for over a year now and I can't recommend one highly enough. Superb machine and as Ephraim said upgrade the RAM to 2GB and you're flying. Bought mine as a refurb and it came without a scratch or mark on it. Highly recommend going down this route as you can save as much as £200-300 if not more - depending on which spec you go for.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=3C893A3B&nclm=Certified

just had a look at that refurb store, see the first two listed under the macbook pro bit, surely Apple have fucked up somewhere there? Either the specs are horribly wrong on the second one or the price is, a glossy screen can't be so coveted

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2007, 02:35:42 pm »
just had a look at that refurb store, see the first two listed under the macbook pro bit, surely Apple have fucked up somewhere there? Either the specs are horribly wrong on the second one or the price is, a glossy screen can't be so coveted

That is for the idiots, a tax if you will. They buy those ones, normal people will by the much better spec'd one for £50 less.

(the real reason is that it's always done on a % of the original purchase price.... sometimes throws out a clanger)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2007, 02:52:52 pm »
But... the original purchase price is the same?

And yet, you get 1/4 of the ram, 40gb less hdd space, half the graphics memory and a (slightly) slower processor speed, BUT, you get a glossy screen.

They have to have fucked up somewhere, it could be that it's in better condition, but it seems like it's an older machine sooo, i'm at a loss.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2007, 04:04:10 pm »
I usually go for the McChicken Sandwich. Ta for the tip.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2007, 04:38:15 pm »
They have to have fucked up somewhere
You're not quite getting Apple ;)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2007, 05:03:42 pm »
Looking at a Macbook myself for uni next year... think I'll be getting one now.

Talking about the memory upgrade... is it easy to buy it and upgrade it yourself?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2007, 05:10:18 pm »
is it easy to buy it and upgrade it yourself?

Yeah, it's really easy. Be warned though, you can't upgrade from 1gb to 2gb with a 1 more gig. You will need to buy two (due to the amount of slots and the configuration). Best to do it via apple if you possibly can, mate.

here is how you do it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2007, 05:15:48 pm »
I was looking at the 2GB 'kits' from crucial.com- 2 1GB sticks... £50 I think. But I'd only upgrade if I find it's slow... or if I choose to load Vista on it instead of XP... that's why I don't want to buy a 2GB model straight off; don't know if it's necessary.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2007, 05:18:07 pm »
It's not necessary, but the all round performance is boosted - you'll never know because you won't upgrade ;)

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2007, 06:34:21 pm »
I bought a 15" MacBookPro last February.

See below for specs.

I use it for work more and more these days, although my company gives me an XP Laptop.

Video editing, Photo and work presentations are the main uses but I'm trying my hand at podcasting and I'm trying out html, css, and xhtml.

Although I've just had a bit of a problem with an Airport upgrade, which I managed to fix temporarily before apple came up with a solution, I am very happy with it.

You never have enough storage though, I went for 120GB, I wish now I'd gone for 160GB, I may resolve this though by replacing it myself.

At the moment I've gone for and external usb drive, which is useful but not adequate for video work, so a firewire 400/800 drive will be on my birthday wish list.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2007, 07:32:45 pm »
It's not necessary, but the all round performance is boosted - you'll never know because you won't upgrade ;)

Ah but I'm guessing it'd be a must if I do get Vista...?

Should be ok with the 1GB though... won't be using memory taxing applications, or won't be running too many applications at once.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2007, 08:23:54 pm »

Should be ok with the 1GB though... won't be using memory taxing applications, or won't be running too many applications at once.

I'd recommend upping it - I spent £50 putting extra ram in my macbook, and it really made a world of difference.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2007, 08:29:08 pm »

Nah, vista runs fine on 1gb. It's just the over all performance boost (judging just on the Mac OS) is so so so fucking worth it. It's criminal not to do it.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2007, 08:33:59 pm »
Anyone recommend a Macbook Pro for playing Warcraft on? That's all I want gamewise, everything else I can play on my pc or 360.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
Anyone recommend a Macbook Pro for playing Warcraft on? That's all I want gamewise, everything else I can play on my pc or 360.

Can easily handle it.

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2007, 08:37:08 pm »
Can easily handle it.

Which one? Cheapest? Like I said I want one for Warcraft, but also for iTunes, Brwosing the web etc. The last time I touched a Mac computer was a G4.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 3, 2007, 08:46:20 pm »
If your putting XP on it get download tiny XP. It uses something like 50mb in total so with 1GB of RAM you can run both at once EASILY

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2007, 08:53:52 pm »
Which one? Cheapest? Like I said I want one for Warcraft, but also for iTunes, Brwosing the web etc. The last time I touched a Mac computer was a G4.

Yeah, the lowest end macbook pro will easily handle world of warcraft. and little tasks like itunes and browsing are obviously doable

Not sure you realise how powerful those fuckers are. :P

Don't listen to WorldChampions (sideondockhomo™) though, having windows seperate via bootcamp is easily the best soloution ;)

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 3, 2007, 08:57:51 pm »
If your putting XP on it get download tiny XP. It uses something like 50mb in total so with 1GB of RAM you can run both at once EASILY
Yeah, the lowest end macbook pro will easily handle world of warcraft. and little tasks like itunes and browsing are obviously doable

Not sure you realise how powerful those fuckers are. :P

Don't listen to WorldChampions (sideondockhomo™) though, having windows seperate via bootcamp is easily the best soloution ;)

As I said, I have a PC and I dont want windows on it. I just want something nice to browse the web with, do some graphics and play warcraft on. I will keep an eye out for a macbook pro.

Cheers!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2007, 08:59:34 pm »
I'd recommend upping it - I spent £50 putting extra ram in my macbook, and it really made a world of difference.

Nah, vista runs fine on 1gb. It's just the over all performance boost (judging just on the Mac OS) is so so so fucking worth it. It's criminal not to do it.

Yeah will definitely consider it then...

Also, EL- with Vista, would there be any problems regarding the graphics card? I remember rome's post the other day, and a few people pointed out that it was his graphics card which could be the problem... I think the Macbook's got the same one (if not an inferior one).
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 09:01:15 pm by BazC »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2007, 09:30:40 pm »
Yeah will definitely consider it then...

Also, EL- with Vista, would there be any problems regarding the graphics card? I remember rome's post the other day, and a few people pointed out that it was his graphics card which could be the problem... I think the Macbook's got the same one (if not an inferior one).

Nah, no worries mate. If you watch those videos I posted in the uni thread - it shows vista running really smother. Fuck knows what's wrong with his to be honest.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 3, 2007, 10:51:36 pm »
Just watched a few Mac vids on Youtube... easy to upgrade the memory/hard drive, you can play better games than I was expecting to play, there was a review of it which seemed good, there were a couple of vids from some bloke who'd made the PC to Mac switch (he said he'd been clocked by his wife stroking his macbook... sad bastard  :P) and also a vid from cnet (on Youtube though) in which the bloke installed Vista on it.

Seems well worth the switch actually; but I think a major factor of me getting one is that 3 year warranty! What with a poor student for the next 3 years, a bit of financial security on what would be my most expensive purchase personally so far seems to be very reassuring.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 3, 2007, 11:19:45 pm »
Don't listen to WorldChampions (sideondockhero?) though, having windows seperate via bootcamp is easily the best soloution ;)

Whys that?

You have to restart

I can have windows and Mac aps open at the same time

I can drag files between each partition

I can put them side by side and laugh at xp etc etc

And it cost me nothing

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 3, 2007, 11:25:47 pm »
You have to restart

You are either very very busy, or very impatient. It takes about 40 seconds to get from one to the other :p

I can have windows and Mac aps open at the same time

I can drag files between each partition

I can put them side by side and laugh at xp etc etc

Yeah, I quite like Parallels - the problem is that it has to emulate the graphics, shares the resources and generally performs much worse.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 3, 2007, 11:28:48 pm »
When you're in OSX, can you not transfer files between the Windows HD partition and the OSX partition?

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 3, 2007, 11:37:29 pm »
Not when you use Tiny Xp, uses 40mb ram and takes up 400mb on your hard drive. Loverly :P

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 3, 2007, 11:37:59 pm »
When you're in OSX, can you not transfer files between the Windows HD partition and the OSX partition?

Depends. If you have a fat32 partition, then yeah. NTFS is read only though.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 3, 2007, 11:45:08 pm »
Depends. If you have a fat32 partition, then yeah. NTFS is read only though.

So why doesn't everyone have a fat32 partition... does the NTFS save more disk space or something?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 3, 2007, 11:47:25 pm »
Well, I couldn't instal vista under 32gb partition for some reason and had to use ntfs (not sure if this is always the case).

Pretty sure that i've had XP on a fat32 partition though. There is a program for windows called 'macdrive' that allows you to read and write onto and from the mac disk though - it's not freeware though.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 11:48:59 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #37 on: August 3, 2007, 11:50:12 pm »
Had my Mac for 5 months now. Within 3 weeks of using it I swore I would never go back to a Windows PC again. Macs are just so much simpler - easier. I have an absolutely kick-ass HP Pavilion notebook - 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 3+gHz Intel processor, 19" screen etc... - an absolute beast which I adored but I now love my Mac more.

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #38 on: August 4, 2007, 09:12:41 am »
I love my Mac.  I have a 17" one and it can be a bit bulky sometimes (e.g. if using when out and about, cafes and the like), but the screen is fantastic.  I use it as the bedroom / hotel telly it's so good (along with the remote and Front Row)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 4, 2007, 09:17:16 am »
I have a 17" one and it can be a bit bulky sometimes but the screen is fantastic.

The ultimate trade off. The machine itself is still really thin but when you have to put a 17 inch monitor in, it can't be anything but bulky.

I use it as the bedroom / hotel telly it's so good (along with the remote and Front Row)

With eyetv? Brilliant, isn't it.