Author Topic: RAWK Design circle / committee.  (Read 80258 times)

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
Re: RAWK Design circle / committee.
« Reply #880 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:09 am »
are you looking at wordpress.com or .org?

.com is a hosted blog solution, .org is the one you download and can do what you want with...

I don't know what i've been looking at, i did look at both but don't know how i missed that. Need to spend more time looking into it then.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #881 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »
Think you can do more than one page in cs5?

I'm well used to illustrator now, but there's loads in it that I don't use.

Yes IllCS5 does multiple artboards. Obviously not backward compatible if someone else needs to work on the file and doesn't have CS5.

Multiple boards handier in indesign CS5 though when doing exhibition panels of different widths (so you can view them all as a spread)
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: May 11, 2012, 07:47:14 am »
A question here pertaining to professional courtesy for RAWK's designers.

We have been working on a site with a client for the last few months now and it's 99% finished, we are waiting on final amends and content. All of a sudden things went quiet and until a few days ago a friend who knew we were working with them seen a newsletter that a local competitor was claiming they were doing the work.

So a phone call later and we found out that this was indeed the case, but we were still being used for development.

Now what sits uncomfortably for us is A:) we were never offered a shot at the design (client insisted on doing it themselves with our consultation) B:) we were never made aware they were talking to others directly.

So here lies the conundrum, we have been paid thus far for what development we have done and now this other crowd have sent through a design that requires quite a bit of functionality change and also some layout changes. Do we cut our loses and say, "Hey look, here's the site files you've paid for, get the other crowd to finish it off" or are we being too precious and should we just price for the changes and get the fuck on with it?

We kinda see it as an insult since it's so close to home and were never even considered for the design (we are a design company first, web developers second), add to the fact it now has a competitors mark splashed all over it making us look incompetent designers and the site is useless to us portfolio wise as a majority of clients don't give a fuck about what you developed.

What would you do?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #883 on: May 11, 2012, 08:46:34 am »
Make the most of the requested changes, inflating the development costs, blaming it on the unreasonable demands of the other company. Just get as much money as you can out of the job...

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #884 on: May 11, 2012, 08:53:26 am »
Agree with above. Unless the job has been a nightmare thus far, and as long as you've been paid for the time you've spent on it I'd just crack on with the changes, so long as they're paying for the time to alter the site.

It's a pisser but these things do happen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #885 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:17 am »
Just look at it as an opportunity to bill them more hours and do more development. So they don't want you guys doing the design , big whoop, you are the back end now. The other company seems to have made quite a bit of changes, milk that for all it's worth. I don't know how big of a company you are but the more work you get in this economy the better no?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: May 11, 2012, 08:59:11 am »
Make the most of the requested changes, inflating the development costs, blaming it on the unreasonable demands of the other company. Just get as much money as you can out of the job...

Agree with above. Unless the job has been a nightmare thus far, and as long as you've been paid for the time you've spent on it I'd just crack on with the changes, so long as they're paying for the time to alter the site.

It's a pisser but these things do happen.

We have considered biting our tongues, but they haven't been the easiest to deal with, between getting a design settled on and content through. In all honesty the site has been in development for over 2 years, it's only the current iteration that's gone 99% of the way. It's a real kick in the teeth to be honest as I'm quite proud of what I've achieved development wise with the site.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: May 11, 2012, 09:35:56 am »
We kinda see it as an insult since it's so close to home and were never even considered for the design (we are a design company first, web developers second), add to the fact it now has a competitors mark splashed all over it making us look incompetent designers and the site is useless to us portfolio wise as a majority of clients don't give a fuck about what you developed.
My advice would be to always make business decisions based on the medium and long term and learn something from these uncomfortable situations. If the perception were to take hold that you are merely* developers for your competitor's design, then you risk damaging your brand.

The nature of how you learned of this change (especially the unexpected silence) makes me think your client had acted a little unethically. Had everything been above board you wouldn't have found out the news actuality of your business relationship in a newsletter. If your client has been unethical, they needing dropping asap. Your time and talents are too precious to waste on pricks.

If you've been suitably re-numerated on the development work, follow SP's advice and place a huge premium on the changes. It's the polite and professional way to tell an ex-client to go f*ck themselves.

You should also be open to the fact that you've been gazumped by a competitor and see if there are any steps you can take to avoid this happening in the future.

As a designer you'll know that the work suffers if your heart is not in it. I've always considered it a risk-not-worth-taking to rationalise any drop in the quality of the output. You also stated that this work won't be of any use to your portfolio, so it should logically mean you'd only be doing this for the money...

*Nothing against developers, I'm just showing a worst case scenario for a design company

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:46 pm »
My advice would be to always make business decisions based on the medium and long term and learn something from these uncomfortable situations. If the perception were to take hold that you are merely* developers for your competitor's design, then you risk damaging your brand.

The nature of how you learned of this change (especially the unexpected silence) makes me think your client had acted a little unethically. Had everything been above board you wouldn't have found out the news actuality of your business relationship in a newsletter. If your client has been unethical, they needing dropping asap. Your time and talents are too precious to waste on pricks.

If you've been suitably re-numerated on the development work, follow SP's advice and place a huge premium on the changes. It's the polite and professional way to tell an ex-client to go f*ck themselves.

You should also be open to the fact that you've been gazumped by a competitor and see if there are any steps you can take to avoid this happening in the future.

As a designer you'll know that the work suffers if your heart is not in it. I've always considered it a risk-not-worth-taking to rationalise any drop in the quality of the output. You also stated that this work won't be of any use to your portfolio, so it should logically mean you'd only be doing this for the money...

*Nothing against developers, I'm just showing a worst case scenario for a design company

That's the main issue here, small town and competition is tight, we don't want to be seen as an afterthought.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: May 12, 2012, 09:03:23 pm »
I'm having a good bash at learning how to design my own websites, bit of fun on the side.

I'm keen to learn how i can go about customising the styling on my menu widget from the standard squared off designs i've established using Dreamweaver, does anybody have any sources that could help teach me how i can elaborate on the styles?

To begin with i'd like to round off edges, two tone the colours etc.... but ultimately be able to construct a menu widget of any aesthetic.

Any help would be much appreciated from those design whizz's we have on here.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: May 12, 2012, 09:43:27 pm »
I'm having a good bash at learning how to design my own websites, bit of fun on the side.

I'm keen to learn how i can go about customising the styling on my menu widget from the standard squared off designs i've established using Dreamweaver, does anybody have any sources that could help teach me how i can elaborate on the styles?

To begin with i'd like to round off edges, two tone the colours etc.... but ultimately be able to construct a menu widget of any aesthetic.

Any help would be much appreciated from those design whizz's we have on here.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

It gives you and example and also the code involved below

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/

It gives you and example and also the code involved below

Thanks mate, they're excellent certainly a useful tool which i'll enjoy using... couldn't see anything there which appeared to round off a horizontal menu bar (they were all a bit clunky or void of box) i don't suppose you have anything else up your sleeve which would help enable me to produce a softer rounder edged box?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: May 12, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
Thanks mate, they're excellent certainly a useful tool which i'll enjoy using... couldn't see anything there which appeared to round off a horizontal menu bar (they were all a bit clunky or void of box) i don't suppose you have anything else up your sleeve which would help enable me to produce a softer rounder edged box?

There's two ways of doing this:

A) CSS3 though this means the rounded effect wont work in older browsers

http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/

http://www.css3.me/

B) Use background images, this involves using a graphics editing package such as illustrator or photoshop to create the rounded rectangles.

The use the CSS background property to add the images to the end menu items

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231F7YdMRlQ

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: May 12, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »

You're a star, i've got a full CS 5.5 master collection suite so that second suggestion will do the trick.

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: May 12, 2012, 11:43:53 pm »
In terms of web development, how do people tend to go about formulating their designs? Are people generally just good at thinking this shit up? I like the coding side of development, but I haven't got an artistic bone in me and find it difficult to create decent looking pages.

I'm currently working on a little site for my uncle's business and, as a complete technophobe, he's given me no real ideas about how he wants it to look.

Are there any sites out there that people use for ideas/inspiration when it comes to design? Or it it just a case of needing that artistic nature that I haven't got?

DH, I saw something on here earlier that gave me the impression you're from Derry - is that right? There's a chance I could be moving over there in the not too distant future. What are the chances of letting me do some unpaid shadowing for a bit? ;)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:22 am »
In terms of web development, how do people tend to go about formulating their designs? Are people generally just good at thinking this shit up? I like the coding side of development, but I haven't got an artistic bone in me and find it difficult to create decent looking pages.

I'm currently working on a little site for my uncle's business and, as a complete technophobe, he's given me no real ideas about how he wants it to look.

Are there any sites out there that people use for ideas/inspiration when it comes to design? Or it it just a case of needing that artistic nature that I haven't got?

DH, I saw something on here earlier that gave me the impression you're from Derry - is that right? There's a chance I could be moving over there in the not too distant future. What are the chances of letting me do some unpaid shadowing for a bit? ;)

AJ, I'm actually from Sion Mills about 15 mile away and work in Omagh about 30 miles from Derry.

I can give you pointers on here no problems though.

I always start my projects with a questionnaire to find out functionality and style. The most important questions I find design wise are as follows:

• Who are your competitors? - This is a good way to find out what they are doing, try then to start thinking about differentiation to stand out from them.
  • Have you seen any sites you've liked the look off and what aspects did you like? - This will give you a frame of reference, this isn't a license to go out and copy the other sites.
  • what sites don't you like? - People often find it easier to tell you what they don't like, this question and the last attack the problem from both ends to whittle down potential styles.
  • Have you any Colour Schemes you prefer? - Again this narrows down the guess work, if they give you a free hand look again at their competitors sites and try to stand out from them.
Once you have all the info you need either start your design or if you're still lacking ideas the search the web for stuff like "Beautiful web design", "beautiful packaging design" or "Beautiful print design", inspiration comes from all places, if you're using Google limit your search back to the start of the current year.

Something to keep in mind when designing, is this site going to date badly (this can affect you ability to showcase it in your portfolio in a years time), things that can affect this are:

Do I want a 'pure digital' design which has no faux textures or no button elements that mimic real life counterparts (See Windows 8 or Windows Phone 7) or should I go down the opposite path or "skeuomorphism" as it's not so kindly know (see Apple IOS apps) and have a calendar that looks like a calendar in real life and a faux glass menu bar.

Again it's trying to listen to your client but also putting your own slant on it, I always start with a "Design first" attitude, then I make usability and functionality fit into my idea, this doesn't mean they come second fiddle but that you can still offer great functionality and usability without compromising design.

The way I look at it's like this, the first thing you notice about anything in life is how it looks, then how it feels and finally long-term satisfaction.

Take a car for instance, you own a Aston Martin garage  and have the latest DB9 out front, it looks fucking spectacular, you draw your first customer, they get inside and it's plush interior makes them want to melt and everything is right there on the dash, then finally they take it for a spin and find that the clutch is too heavy and the pedals are offset a little which makes it very uncomfortable to drive, boom! you've lost the sale.

The same goes for web design, you need to get all three components right, even if one of them is off then it could cost you a sale, but you can take heart because they at least they came into your garage and got into the car, they totally ignored the Lada garage next door because they just didn't like the look of it.

This applies to women, men, houses, hotels, food etc

I hope this kinda makes sense, if not let me know and I'll see how I can better explain it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:13:39 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: May 13, 2012, 11:35:31 am »
Thanks for that, that's all excellent advice. I haven't got to the stage yet where I could do a questionnaire - I haven't even sat down and properly talked to my uncle about his requirements - but I fear that even with a grasp of what he would want me to do, I wouldn't be able to make it aesthetically pleasing.

He's been going on at me for ages to do him a website, but with my final year of uni going on, I had to pass. Now that I'm finished, and have far too much time on my hands, I thought I'd give it a go. Since asking him earlier this week if he still wanted one doing, I've just been trying to mock up some designs of my own prior to seeing him next week and seeing if he has any suggestions. However, I remember when trying to get this kind of information out of him last time, he hasn't really got a clue.

He mentioned pretty much doing a complete re-brand of the business (which in a way is good because his current business cards/flyers etc are yellow - fuck that) but means that I'm having to think of colour schemes/creating headers and logos myself etc and I'm just finding it a bit daunting.

Functionality isn't really a problem because all he wants is a simple information-based website to give clients/potential clients all they need to know about the business, which means I can focus solely on making it look right (though for my own development purposes, I will be looking to develop a booking system which I'll suggest he uses at a later date). It's this bit that I really, really struggle with.

I can look around at websites and find ones that I think look brilliant, but I really struggle when it comes to trying to use these ideas to formulate my own designs.

That's the best one I've got so far, which probably doesn't say much about the others I worked on. I don't mind the layout too much, though the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's a bit boring? The logo is what offends me though, I think it looks tacky and, well, shite.

I'm not really sure exactly what help I need, because when I have ideas, I can usually make them work - I'll play around with HTML/CSS/Photoshop until I get what I want, somehow - but it's the ideas that I seem to be lacking. I look for inspiration, I think 'that looks really good, I'll use that' but I don't seem to be able to do it?

I'm rambling now...

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: May 13, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »
Thanks for that, that's all excellent advice. I haven't got to the stage yet where I could do a questionnaire - I haven't even sat down and properly talked to my uncle about his requirements - but I fear that even with a grasp of what he would want me to do, I wouldn't be able to make it aesthetically pleasing.

He's been going on at me for ages to do him a website, but with my final year of uni going on, I had to pass. Now that I'm finished, and have far too much time on my hands, I thought I'd give it a go. Since asking him earlier this week if he still wanted one doing, I've just been trying to mock up some designs of my own prior to seeing him next week and seeing if he has any suggestions. However, I remember when trying to get this kind of information out of him last time, he hasn't really got a clue.

He mentioned pretty much doing a complete re-brand of the business (which in a way is good because his current business cards/flyers etc are yellow - fuck that) but means that I'm having to think of colour schemes/creating headers and logos myself etc and I'm just finding it a bit daunting.

Functionality isn't really a problem because all he wants is a simple information-based website to give clients/potential clients all they need to know about the business, which means I can focus solely on making it look right (though for my own development purposes, I will be looking to develop a booking system which I'll suggest he uses at a later date). It's this bit that I really, really struggle with.

I can look around at websites and find ones that I think look brilliant, but I really struggle when it comes to trying to use these ideas to formulate my own designs.

That's the best one I've got so far, which probably doesn't say much about the others I worked on. I don't mind the layout too much, though the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's a bit boring? The logo is what offends me though, I think it looks tacky and, well, shite.

I'm not really sure exactly what help I need, because when I have ideas, I can usually make them work - I'll play around with HTML/CSS/Photoshop until I get what I want, somehow - but it's the ideas that I seem to be lacking. I look for inspiration, I think 'that looks really good, I'll use that' but I don't seem to be able to do it?

I'm rambling now...

First thing I would say about that design is drop the dog from the Banner region, put him into the content region where the header is, make the logo front a lot smaller and remove or pare back a little any photoshop layer styles from it, like embossing, drop shadows and gradients, this'll give it a less tacky look and more high-end feel.

I ran a search on Google and came up with this group of sites: http://designbeep.com/2012/03/31/pet-websites/

Some great ones there, but again choose what you like then present it to your uncle and say "This is what I was thinking of" then he can say no, yes, no etc. etc. It'll also get him thinking about it, make sure you sit down with him though, if he's left to his own devices he wont do it, make him commit 1-2 hours to answer your questions otherwise you'll be working on the site for months, I know I've made the same mistakes.

When developing do you use HTML & CSS or can you do use a scripting language like PHP along with a database like MYSQL? The reason I ask is that something like a booking system is very advanced, it was for exactly that reason I took to using a CMS (Drupal), this meant the CMS took all the grunt work out and left me to add bespoke code (jQuery & PHP) and concentrate mostly on design an functionality.

PS: Get into a habit of Bookmarking sites you like as well and adding tags (I see you're using chrome, it has an extension called Le Tags) tags help you categorise information better so for that site above I bookmarked it under the tags "Pets", "Animals", "Design", "Inspiration". It takes a little longer but trust me it's a great way to work.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:55:01 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: May 13, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »
Yeah I was wondering about the dog - it was causing me problems as it was because I'm nowhere near good enough in PS to start removing backgrounds from pictures to fit them in to my designs, so it's got a big clunky white box around it (hence the need for a white banner). The only real use I made of any layer styles was to give the text gold look it's got - I thought it'd be a good look, but it just isn't - so I'll scrap that and try to find a more appropriate font/colour to fit the scheme.

I did do some initial research, just looking for local dog grooming businesses, but that was more in terms of trying to work out what kind of content he may way - what you've found there is superb and has given me some ideas already.

Well in this particular case I'm just using HTML/CSS because there's no real need for anything else, based on the vague requirements I've been given. I'll just be working on the booking system to benefit myself but I much prefer development to design, so I'll probably find it much, much easier to create the booking system than the design for the site. I've got a bit, admittedly not much, experience of PHP/MySQL, but I'll look to expand on that once I've got the website sorted (I've already started going through a book that I've put on hold while I do this site). The idea is obviously to create it and have him use it but, if not, it'll be good practice for me anyway.

I started bookmarking stuff last night, having gone back to the start of this thread and found some useful links, but I'll definitely look to do that more often.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: May 13, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »
Anyone know how to fix an issue whereby 1% is seemingly smaller in Chrome than it is in other browsers?

I've got a spacer separating navigation tabs that displays properly in Firefox (12) and IE (8, currently downloading 9), but not in Chrome (18).

Edit: Seems like the spacers aren't sized consistently in any of the browsers! Hadn't noticed they were different in IE/FF - difficult to tell without seeing them one under another as below - but the difference is obviously a lot more noticeable in Chrome.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:26:55 pm by AJ »

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »
Anyone know how to fix an issue whereby 1% is seemingly smaller in Chrome than it is in other browsers?

I've got a spacer separating navigation tabs that displays properly in Firefox (12) and IE (8, currently downloading 9), but not in Chrome (18).

Edit: Seems like the spacers aren't sized consistently in any of the browsers! Hadn't noticed they were different in IE/FF - difficult to tell without seeing them one under another as below - but the difference is obviously a lot more noticeable in Chrome.

The nav boxes, what is the css width you have set on them? Or have you set padding to the text inside?

Scratch that, seems there is a sub pixel issue http://ejohn.org/blog/sub-pixel-problems-in-css/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:20:29 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: May 13, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »
Well, this is probably it for today. I'm a lot happier with this than what I had this morning.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:59 am »
A bit of tweaking the colour/banner/logo and it's done.

I've spent all night tonight with my uncle and he's very happy with it, so that's the most important thing.

Offline JLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #903 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry if I've got the wrong thread but is this the topic where php and mysql problems are asked?

Thanks,

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
I think there's a RAWK Development circle thread somewhere that may be more suitable for that type of question.

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=222972.msg4478402#msg4478402

Offline JLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: May 17, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
I think there's a RAWK Development circle thread somewhere that may be more suitable for that type of question.

Edit: Here you go:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=222972.msg4478402#msg4478402

Cheers mate thanks a lot

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: September 16, 2021, 06:17:27 pm »
I'm currently exporting a large number of jpegs from indesign.

I need the file names to be numbered sequentially, however it seems impossible to get the numbering to start at 1

for example if i want the exported files to be named West-1, West-2 etc and type West- in the name box the result will be West-, West-2, West-3 etc

it doesn't seem to be possible to get the first jpeg named West-1

any ideas
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: October 9, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
A bit of tweaking the colour/banner/logo and it's done.

I've spent all night tonight with my uncle and he's very happy with it, so that's the most important thing.

Just make sure it's responsive and adheres to WCAG rules  :P
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #908 on: October 9, 2021, 12:26:01 pm »
Just make sure it's responsive and adheres to WCAG rules  :P

I imagine it's been updated in the last 9 years...

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: October 9, 2021, 07:45:40 pm »
I imagine it's been updated in the last 9 years...

Oh, read that as 2021  ;D
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2023, 07:44:24 am »
Sorry if there’s not a more relevant thread.
But does anyone use 4D software? Like blender/cinema 4D/maya?
I want to learn one and I’m trying to figure out what will be the best for me

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2023, 08:57:55 am »
I've been playing with c4d, but it's struggling on my hardware. Once I upgrade my machine I may try it again, especially with option to use cloud rendering. Blender is really good though, you can do almost anything in it and the internet is full of free tutorials for it. Obviously free as well. It really depends on your end game and how deep you want to go.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2023, 10:53:02 am »
I've been playing with c4d, but it's struggling on my hardware. Once I upgrade my machine I may try it again, especially with option to use cloud rendering. Blender is really good though, you can do almost anything in it and the internet is full of free tutorials for it. Obviously free as well. It really depends on your end game and how deep you want to go.

Cheers for the reply.
I want to basically make model buildings - simple stuff - and maybe work with textures/lighting
Im pretty proficient in 2d and Adobe programmes, but getting a bit long in the tooth so want the most user friendly programme really.
I want to make things like this.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2023, 11:17:44 am »
Blender (being open source) has a great community. Was a long time ago I was doing 3D at uni and I mostly used C4D and was able to teach myself and I had a mess about with blender about a year ago and a lot of it felt familiar. The tools were all the same, just differences in the UI/names.

download blender and search on google for the donut tutorial, I think it's where everyone starts and it'll give you a look at a lot of the tools.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2023, 11:57:30 am »
Haha yeah I’ve seen a lot of the donut tutorial.
Think im going to give blender a go - just got to get my (extremely difficult) IT department to let me install it on my machine

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: March 17, 2023, 06:44:14 pm »
You had any luck with installing?

Dug out the render of my donut  ;D

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #916 on: March 18, 2023, 08:11:58 am »
They were surprisingly compliant and did it straight away. Just got to find the time to play with it now.
Yours looks great!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #917 on: September 19, 2023, 09:25:12 am »
Bit of help needed please.

Can someone help me line up the right border on the second row?

https://codepen.io/PaulF/pen/mdaqPLa?editors=1100

I've been through quite a few iterations. And stripped out most of what I can yet it leave it where the right is still slightly wrong.
Weirdly it only looks wrong with zoom at 100%, if I zoom the browser it lines up properly .  It prints wrong though.  As this is the basis for a 'table' in a report it's the printed version that matters!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: September 19, 2023, 09:40:38 am »
It's lined up for me at 100%, I'm just seeing three rows. Why can't you use a real table?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #919 on: September 19, 2023, 09:57:58 am »
It's lined up for me at 100%, I'm just seeing three rows. Why can't you use a real table?

It didn't occur to me it would line up for someone else.
I'd love to use a real table, but after several hours of googling I can't see how to achieve

Row 1. cells widths  20mm  , 80mm , 70mm
row 2. cell widths 20mm,40mm,40mm,70mm
row 3. cell widths 20mm, 60mm , 40mm ,50mm

and so on.
Not those exact widths but there's about 5 different combinations of column widths.
I've convinced myself the columns have to line up (like a spreadsheet).  I did consider having a table with 170 columns of 1mm and merging columns, but that feels insane.  I could probably get away with half at 2mm or something similar, but you see the issue.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.