Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 863151 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8440 on: September 15, 2022, 11:32:08 am »
As I understand it, the Google Pixel range makes up with its lack of a top notch sensor with excellent software based tuning.

I had a Pixel 4a for a couple of years and found the quality of photos it produced to be superb.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8441 on: September 15, 2022, 11:53:21 am »
As I understand it, the Google Pixel range makes up with its lack of a top notch sensor with excellent software based tuning.

I had a Pixel 4a for a couple of years and found the quality of photos it produced to be superb.

This is correct. I believe there hasn't been much evolution in Google's camera hardware in recent years but their software is probably best in class. Pixel 5 was my first Google phone and I was really surprised at the quality of the photos it takes. Much better than some newer Samsung models. 

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8442 on: September 19, 2022, 10:30:39 am »
To clarify, if there anything on the android market that would match the iPhone 14's consistency in taking everyday pictures/videos. Mrwhostheboss latest video basically says the iPhone 14 wipes the floor with Samsung 22 Ultra so I'm guessing not?

I'll say outright I think Apple are better at video generally or at least provide the standard (which matches industry standards). Not worth the Apple tax for me but ymmv

But a bit of an odd question, basically yes. Xiaomi are the most underrated brand IMO. Excellent cameras on some of them.

Two on this ranking alone :
https://m.gsmarena.com/best_camera_phones_buyers_guide-review-2030.php

At any rate if I went with even the top level iPhone now I'd be getting back a notch and sacrificing charging speed both wirelessly and wired. That's outside of software considerations but like anybody you use a device and if it's good you don't wanna chop and change, that's understandable

It is pretty ace with every device I have being USBC

As ever with phones I suppose you pick and choose the features you want. Not a fan of Samsung personally but Pixel and the Xiaomi 12s  just seem to do cameras correctly. Seems to be Xiaomi's thing. Competitive yeah that's one word for it

Probably worth admitting I think we are at the point of diminishing returns with cameras. It isn't 2009. For most purposes most are going to be more than sufficient

One would probably be off learning manual mode on even an average phone camera at any rate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:32:21 am by ToneLa »

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8443 on: September 21, 2022, 08:19:06 pm »
Really close to taking the plunge on the Honor 70. Do android phones require google assistant for voice commands?

I regularly use Siri in the car for calls and it works perfectly even if the phone is locked. "Siri, call X".

I am worried about having to tap on the honor to wake it and then do the voice command which kind of defeats the object

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8444 on: September 22, 2022, 12:55:25 pm »
you can do hands-free google assistant

Siri basically no

Alexa probably (never tried)

Hands free Google Assistant is doable, used to use it a lot to recognise my voice - also annoy my boss on calls with it cause Hey Google makes his phone respond to me lol

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8445 on: September 22, 2022, 06:04:36 pm »
you can do hands-free google assistant

Siri basically no

Alexa probably (never tried)

Hands free Google Assistant is doable, used to use it a lot to recognise my voice - also annoy my boss on calls with it cause Hey Google makes his phone respond to me lol
Does it work when a phone is locked though?

Friend of mine has a samsung A12 and in order to use google assistant the screen needs to be awake which just seems ridiculous

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #8446 on: September 22, 2022, 06:08:22 pm »

Friend of mine has a samsung A12 and in order to use google assistant the screen needs to be awake which just seems ridiculous

You definitely can. Your friend should go into their Google app > Settings > Google Assistant > Lock Screen > Assistant Responses on Lock Screen: On

It's possible their phone can't handle that feature but anything more modern than a few years old should be able to, I've been using that feature on my last 3 phones and I had my previous phone 3 years.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8447 on: September 24, 2022, 08:44:42 am »
Any thoughts on the Honor 70? :)

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8448 on: September 24, 2022, 09:00:04 am »

Looks pretty good in areas that matter. Maybe some software annoyances but yknow decent phone

Specs are at
https://m.gsmarena.com/honor_70-11575.php

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8449 on: September 24, 2022, 09:01:46 am »

Yes

That sounds more like your friend not knowing permissions or some such. Probably never touched the settings and never even googled it

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8450 on: September 27, 2022, 10:17:18 am »
I needed some ear buds anyways so I took the plunge and got the 256gb one which includes them and a case for £499. The phone is nice, although the transition from ios to android is a difficult one.

Oh and even though the spec says it has reverse wireless charging, it doesnt!

https://www.hihonor.com/global/phones/honor-70/spec/

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8451 on: September 28, 2022, 03:47:28 pm »
I went for the Oppo x5 5g. Not set it up yet!

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8452 on: September 29, 2022, 09:46:40 am »
still havent had my iphone 14 pro max delivered, it's still bloody sold out everywhere. piss take!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8453 on: September 29, 2022, 10:31:08 am »
https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_14_pro_max-11773.php

looking at the specs, in the words of shania twain that dont impress me much

certainly not for the price
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #8454 on: September 29, 2022, 01:21:01 pm »
I went for the Oppo x5 5g. Not set it up yet!
got the older x2, lite version. For the price a great phone. Had it 18 months or so and still got good battery performance, with regular software updates.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8455 on: September 30, 2022, 01:29:08 am »
At any rate if I went with even the top level iPhone now I'd be getting back a notch and sacrificing charging speed both wirelessly and wired. That's outside of software considerations but like anybody you use a device and if it's good you don't wanna chop and change, that's understandable

It is pretty ace with every device I have being USBC

As ever with phones I suppose you pick and choose the features you want. Not a fan of Samsung personally but Pixel and the Xiaomi 12s  just seem to do cameras correctly. Seems to be Xiaomi's thing. Competitive yeah that's one word for it

That is the crucial thing with any new phone, get the features that matter to you.

For me things like a headphone jack, sd card slot along with other bonuses such as a flat screen, no notch/hole for a selfie camera I will rarely use anyway and the fingerprint reader not being under the screen, made my recent purchase of an Xperia 1 IV the right one for me, but it definitely wouldn't be the right one for everyone, especially if you tend to buy you phones outright rather than via a contract as it isn't cheap.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8456 on: September 30, 2022, 10:21:33 pm »
Just tried the swap your phone upgrade with EE and thought it was going OK. Before they could finish I had to call them before the order could be completed.

I declared that I had a very small crack on the very bottom right side of my S10 screen. Tiny, but I know its there so told them.

Couple of mins later the girl comes back with " We'll need to charge you £300 to get the screen replaced".

Nah its OK love, just cancel everything. Ta.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8457 on: October 1, 2022, 10:21:07 am »
Just tried the swap your phone upgrade with EE and thought it was going OK. Before they could finish I had to call them before the order could be completed.

I declared that I had a very small crack on the very bottom right side of my S10 screen. Tiny, but I know its there so told them.

Couple of mins later the girl comes back with " We'll need to charge you £300 to get the screen replaced".

Nah its OK love, just cancel everything. Ta.

They don't have any Xiaomis anyway

lol though. Punishing you for being honest like that Curb episode when Larry tells the hotel about the damaged room and they charge him anyway

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #8458 on: October 5, 2022, 05:48:59 pm »
Looking for an Android for around £300 with a decent spec and one with decent battery life, currently have a Samsung Galaxy A41 through my former employer but that needs to go back, not a bad phone but ideally would like 128gb rather than 64gb and 5G ready.

Not sure if there is a decent one out there in my price range though but any help/advice would be much appreciated

I've already got a SIM Card so it needs to be unlocked
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8459 on: October 5, 2022, 09:06:14 pm »
Looking for an Android for around £300 with a decent spec and one with decent battery life, currently have a Samsung Galaxy A41 through my former employer but that needs to go back, not a bad phone but ideally would like 128gb rather than 64gb and 5G ready.

Not sure if there is a decent one out there in my price range though but any help/advice would be much appreciated

I've already got a SIM Card so it needs to be unlocked
redmi note 11 pro or Samsung a53

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #8460 on: October 7, 2022, 11:35:25 am »
Looks like I ran into some Apple haters here aha. I've seen the missus use it and used the phone enough myself now to know that software wise, the change from Android to Apple wouldn't be an issue for me.

To clarify, if there anything on the android market that would match the iPhone 14's consistency in taking everyday pictures/videos. Mrwhostheboss latest video basically says the iPhone 14 wipes the floor with Samsung 22 Ultra so I'm guessing not?

Just pre-ordered a Pixel 7 Pro. Seen some videos where the Pixel 6's camera outperforms the iPhone 14 and looks like Google is now concentrating on going after Apple's video features.

Got a Google 4G watch thrown in for free from the Google website too.
Ye wha la.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8461 on: October 7, 2022, 12:09:15 pm »
Just pre-ordered a Pixel 7 Pro. Seen some videos where the Pixel 6's camera outperforms the iPhone 14 and looks like Google is now concentrating on going after Apple's video features.

Got a Google 4G watch thrown in for free from the Google website too.
Mrs is getting the Pixel 7 also. Any good deals about? She's getting it offline and saw that watch offer also but she doesn't really need the watch.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #8462 on: October 7, 2022, 12:46:36 pm »
Mrs is getting the Pixel 7 also. Any good deals about? She's getting it offline and saw that watch offer also but she doesn't really need the watch.

On the Google website, you can choose between the ear buds and the watch for free with the pre-order.
Ye wha la.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8463 on: October 7, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »
redmi note 11 pro or Samsung a53
I think someone on here recommended an A52s over an A53 after I asked about it. Got one and it's been great so far. Camera is crap but I hardly use it anyway.

Pixel 7 Pro looked great until I saw the price. Simply cannot justify splashing out nearly a grand on a phone in the current economic climate.

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8464 on: October 7, 2022, 01:58:08 pm »
On the Google website, you can choose between the ear buds and the watch for free with the pre-order.

The ear buds are free with both but if you want the watch with the 7 you pay the discounted price of £160. Watch is free with the pro 7.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8465 on: October 7, 2022, 05:46:41 pm »
New iPhone is huge and laughable.

Amazed phones still have a notch but meh makes my Mix 4 still cool

This means nothing to anyone, but I signed up to Apple for my work iPhone (for games testing, it is off in a drawer as I write this, barely used) and the email spam is unreal.

Every. Fucking. Nugget. BAM. In my inbox

Apple, I'm not gonna call it a cult. It's actually really solid hardware with its own ecosystem

But jesus Christ the day I signed my work email up to Apple was a mistake. I can't imagine abiding with it as a consumer

Not suggesting Google are better. their tech looks nice though.

I am sticking with my phone as the feature set is just .. there

That's what it should be for everyone BUT I have imported flagship phones on hype. Mi 10 Ultra, I was never gonna get burned on that amazing little monster

Phones just limp along now. I know two people with folding phones. I haven't heard anything about their phones since.

The next great evolution is basically whatever comes after lithium batteries.

Notchless screen is solved. Typing on a screen without a notch and yes it does selfies good enough for the girl I love and Fedstagram. Charging time can go through the roof. I like it super fast.

Batteries are the big problem.

I think, not yet, but it's a young industry... You know how some motors are just Classic?

I think a few years old phone is still baller.

How much of the new features do we need hmm.

Or maybe I'm drunk on the moon pics i can do

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8466 on: October 8, 2022, 07:14:44 am »
Two of the three new iPhones are actually quite small compared to most on the market, just over 5.8 inches tall.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8467 on: October 8, 2022, 02:42:09 pm »
Finally ditching the P20 pro for an S22 Ultra.

Never thought I'd keep a phone for 4v years but the P20 prob was a great phone. The Samsung UI really irritates me meh.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #8468 on: October 9, 2022, 03:51:20 pm »
Finally ditching the P20 pro for an S22 Ultra.

Never thought I'd keep a phone for 4v years but the P20 prob was a great phone. The Samsung UI really irritates me meh.

I've got the S22+. The camera isn't as good as the Ultras, but I much prefer the size and design of that to the size and the sharp edges of the ultra.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #8469 on: October 11, 2022, 02:48:02 pm »
Amazon have a Pixel 7 for £599 plus a free watch or buds if you order before 17th October. I am tempted or by the 7 Pro but not really sure if I want to spend as much as that on a phone. Hence my post above for one for around £300 mark
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8470 on: October 11, 2022, 07:58:27 pm »
I've got the S22+. The camera isn't as good as the Ultras, but I much prefer the size and design of that to the size and the sharp edges of the ultra.
Edges aren't an issue once it's in a case. For me the bigger the better.  Plus miss the s pen from my old note 2 & 4.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #8471 on: October 11, 2022, 08:53:02 pm »
Edges aren't an issue once it's in a case. For me the bigger the better.  Plus miss the s pen from my old note 2 & 4.

Fair enough.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8472 on: October 14, 2022, 08:48:07 am »
Was very tempted by the Pixel 7 Pro with the free Pixel Watch but I think I'm going to hold off until next year and the Pixel 8 and next version of the watch. Let them iron out the issues with the watch and maybe release a larger version (similar to the Apple Watch 44mm). My Pixel 5 is still working great so no need to upgrade just yet, I'm just a sucker for new tech and a decent offer haha

I am looking for a decent mid-range Samsung phone for my Mum though for Christmas. Around £200 budget, something that will work with one of the Samsung watches (I'm assuming they all do). If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful, never used a Samsung phone before

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8473 on: October 14, 2022, 11:41:37 am »
Was in a similar situation to you with a Pixel 5 that's working absolutely fine. But with security updates ending in 1 year I decided to plump for a new phone earlier than I normally would. Toyed with getting the watch with it but if I was being honest with myself I wasn't going to make much use of it. So in the end I went for the Pixel 7 (not the pro) with free pro air buds for £599. You don't get a great deal more for the extra £250 and the Pixel 7 with the airbuds is outstanding value at £599.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8474 on: October 14, 2022, 11:47:33 am »
I've got the previous buds and have to say they are very good. Having the assistant in your ear is great and apparently you can do a live translate but I've never used it. Will upgrade to the Pro next year along with the phone and watch

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8475 on: October 15, 2022, 10:13:09 pm »
I jusy got the Pixel 7 after always having Samsungs. My S10 has seen much better days.

To be honest it doesnt seem any different to my S10 performance wise. Couple of different ways of doing things but nothing especially beneficial in my normal day to day use of it.

I got the watch as well, and dont think its a patch on my S3 Classic - which unfortunately gave up the ghost abar 6 months ago.

Early days with it yet, and I think Im finding the changes in carrying out actions that Ive been used to for years quite annoying. But no doubt that will change soon enough.

Amazing how massive, and unweildy, it feels compared to the S10 as well.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8476 on: October 16, 2022, 07:38:51 am »
Amazing how massive, and unweildy, it feels compared to the S10 as well.

Give it time and you will adjust to the size without realising it and then if you happen to pick up your s10 to update apps etc (assuming you are keeping it as your backup) then it will seem small instead.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8477 on: October 16, 2022, 12:19:43 pm »
Give it time and you will adjust to the size without realising it and then if you happen to pick up your s10 to update apps etc (assuming you are keeping it as your backup) then it will seem small instead.

Yeah, no doubt it will become the norm. Just a bit surprised at how much different it feels considering its not a massive jump in size really.

I dug out my old S7 Edge the other day and that felt surprisingly nice. Considering I never thought Id get used to its round edges I ended up loving that phone (until the back came off And I cracked the front of it). They all pale into insignificance to my 6230i which unfortunately wont hold a charge for more than a minute or two.

Anyway, I never ever have a case for my phones, but will get one for this seeing as how I bought it instead of upgrading. Anyone have any recommendations for a good  slimline minimal case that does the biz if I was to drop it?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8478 on: October 16, 2022, 01:20:52 pm »
My missus has the official Google case, can’t vouch for protection as she hasn’t dropped it, it looks smart though. About £25.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8479 on: October 17, 2022, 08:27:43 pm »
Yeah, no doubt it will become the norm. Just a bit surprised at how much different it feels considering its not a massive jump in size really.

I dug out my old S7 Edge the other day and that felt surprisingly nice. Considering I never thought Id get used to its round edges I ended up loving that phone (until the back came off And I cracked the front of it). They all pale into insignificance to my 6230i which unfortunately wont hold a charge for more than a minute or two.

Anyway, I never ever have a case for my phones, but will get one for this seeing as how I bought it instead of upgrading. Anyone have any recommendations for a good  slimline minimal case that does the biz if I was to drop it?

I used to work for a mobile phone company and it was quite jarring when you had to test new software on older devices as you'd got used to the larger new devices by then, even if you thought the older device was perfectly sized previously.

Besides official cases, Spigen seem to be a reliable make for cases for most phones, offering the most basic tpu skins up to more boxy stuff.