Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 61224 times)

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2024, 12:23:12 pm »
They do split ticketing which can easily more than cover the transaction fees. Personally I do buy them separately elsewhere, but that's effort and prone to error.

I use the virgin trains app which also does split ticketing. No fees. Also collect virgin atlantic points on every ticket purchase.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2024, 02:52:41 pm »

Anyone who travelled from London yesterday make sure you submit your Delay Repay claim for both journeys. Shocking service yesterday.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: March 11, 2024, 02:58:21 pm »
Anyone who travelled from London yesterday make sure you submit your Delay Repay claim for both journeys. Shocking service yesterday.

Weren’t they meant to be delayed due to planned engineering?

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: March 11, 2024, 04:52:14 pm »
Weren’t they meant to be delayed due to planned engineering?

They were delayed beyond the rescheduled times by about 20 mins both ways (Stafford to Liverpool, Crewe to Euston).

Offline Christy Phelan

• Main Stander
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2024, 12:47:59 pm »
Is it seven weeks in advance when they released the cheaper fares please?  Looking at Birmingham - Liverpool.  Thanks.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: March 21, 2024, 12:30:50 pm »
For Sheffield match (4th April), my mate has a spare return ticket if anyone has an under 30 railcard. £31.00 total

Euston->Lime St 13.43-16.04
Lime St -> Euston 6.04-8.26 (next day)

also has an easyhotel for about £55 which he can cancel if not needed, but just in case anyone wanted

DM if anyone wants!
YNWA.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #406 on: March 23, 2024, 07:41:07 pm »
On the day of the Palace game, there's a bunch of direct trains (one in the morning and several on the way back) that Avanti website say tickets are unavailable for (so maybe sold out?), but Trainline say as "coming soon". Anyone know whether they're sold out or haven't been onsale yet?

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2024, 04:35:13 pm »
An hour ago, Avanti released Advance fare inventory for Sunday 19 May -- matchday 38.

Showing what utter Tory bastards they are, they have made zero seats available on Advance fares in Standard Class or First Class  arriving Lime Street before 15:00 or departing after 18:00.

The exception is Standard Premium, which owing to technical restrictions on how they can sell these in advance, have to be Advance fares.

Also, the 12:42 departure from Euston arriving 15:04 is available with Advance fares (and just 1 in First Class!) if you want to take a wild chance on it running to time.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2024, 04:55:22 pm »
An hour ago, Avanti released Advance fare inventory for Sunday 19 May -- matchday 38.

Showing what utter Tory bastards they are, they have made zero seats available on Advance fares in Standard Class or First Class  arriving Lime Street before 15:00 or departing after 18:00.

The exception is Standard Premium, which owing to technical restrictions on how they can sell these in advance, have to be Advance fares.

Also, the 12:42 departure from Euston arriving 15:04 is available with Advance fares (and just 1 in First Class!) if you want to take a wild chance on it running to time.

They always do this. The only time you get cheaper trains is where the fixture moves. They are utter c*nts.  Virgin trains, for all their failings, used to offer Advance tickets on match days.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2024, 05:16:53 pm »
They always do this. The only time you get cheaper trains is where the fixture moves. They are utter c*nts.  Virgin trains, for all their failings, used to offer Advance tickets on match days.
I said it at the time when a fair few celebrated Virgin trains losing the route, ''be careful what you wish for''...even I had no idea how true that would turn out to be.

Utter c*nts indeed.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2024, 05:57:48 pm »
Bet they have happy drivers with the new overtime payments being introduced

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2024, 06:04:09 pm »
Bet they have happy drivers with the new overtime payments being introduced
It also shows just how shit it must be to work for them if they have to be offered a ridiculous amount of money to do overtime.
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2024, 06:54:16 pm »
Have to admit I've been lucky using them apart from coming back from the West Ham cup game when the overhead wires came down which is obviously out of their control. Hopefully the incentive for overtime will mean they can run more of the timetable.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2024, 07:22:29 pm »

I remember the last day of the 2022 season they cancelled the busiest train going up to both Liverpool and Manchester which made the next trains totally mobbed. No way am I risking getting a late train up. Got to be there for the 3-0 win and trophy lift.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #414 on: April 4, 2024, 06:03:46 am »
On the day of the Palace game, there's a bunch of direct trains (one in the morning and several on the way back) that Avanti website say tickets are unavailable for (so maybe sold out?), but Trainline say as "coming soon". Anyone know whether they're sold out or haven't been onsale yet?

I'm also following this game day, feel I should have bought earlier but then again my registered sale isn't until Monday. The return train currently closest to end of match is 4.43pm, less than 60 mins from the final whistle, and that's without stoppage time; hate that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: April 4, 2024, 06:22:57 am »
For Sheffield match (4th April), my mate has a spare return ticket if anyone has an under 30 railcard. £31.00 total

Euston->Lime St 13.43-16.04
Lime St -> Euston 6.04-8.26 (next day)

also has an easyhotel for about £55 which he can cancel if not needed, but just in case anyone wanted

DM if anyone wants!

still available, for free, if anyone needed
YNWA.

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
  • go easy, step lightly, stay free
« Reply #416 on: April 4, 2024, 09:44:41 am »
still available, for free, if anyone needed

There's a strike so they'll be able to get a refund. Those trains aren't running!

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #417 on: April 4, 2024, 09:56:01 am »
There's a strike so they'll be able to get a refund. Those trains aren't running!
The 1343 is running today.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #418 on: April 4, 2024, 09:56:48 am »
Travel for the Spurs game , if on a Sunday, looks crap
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: April 4, 2024, 11:23:39 am »
The 1343 is running today.
Doesn't matter.  If one leg is cancelled because of strikes, a refund is possible for both legs of the round-trip.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #420 on: April 4, 2024, 11:42:18 am »
Doesn't matter.  If one leg is cancelled because of strikes, a refund is possible for both legs of the round-trip.
I was just replying as the poster said said that the trains were cancelled. Assuming that its booked as a round trip, yes thats correct. Not if booked as one ways though, as I, and a few of our lot, quite often end up doing.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: April 4, 2024, 02:33:35 pm »
I was just replying as the poster said said that the trains were cancelled. Assuming that its booked as a round trip, yes thats correct. Not if booked as one ways though, as I, and a few of our lot, quite often end up doing.
I have successfully refunded all tickets where each direction was booked as a single and only one leg was affected by strikes.  The National Rail Conditions of Travel allow for a round-trip journey to be booked using multiple tickets, including multiple splits.  With some retailers, you might have a battle, but ultimately you will win.  Either referral to the Rail Ombudsman or credit card chargeback will sort it if the retailer refuses to recognise your rights.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2024, 02:36:39 pm by MKB »

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #422 on: April 4, 2024, 03:37:12 pm »
I have successfully refunded all tickets where each direction was booked as a single and only one leg was affected by strikes.  The National Rail Conditions of Travel allow for a round-trip journey to be booked using multiple tickets, including multiple splits.  With some retailers, you might have a battle, but ultimately you will win.  Either referral to the Rail Ombudsman or credit card chargeback will sort it if the retailer refuses to recognise your rights.
Good to know, cheers.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: April 5, 2024, 11:50:33 am »
Travel for the Spurs game , if on a Sunday, looks crap

yep, trains absolutely fucked due to engineering works
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #424 on: April 5, 2024, 10:07:12 pm »
yep, trains absolutely fucked due to engineering works

No trains at all from London Euston to Liverpool which is just about right for Avanti's service despite the engineering works

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 6, 2024, 08:19:03 am »

Did you have any luck with this?

I think I've screwed myself by not buying 16.43 return tickets as this train now doesn't appear :(

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: April 6, 2024, 08:54:05 am »
Did you have any luck with this?

I think I've screwed myself by not buying 16.43 return tickets as this train now doesn't appear :(

You can buy an off peak ticket for another train (13.43) and get on the actual one you want. As long as it's not an "advanced" ticket you're fine.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 6, 2024, 09:25:25 am »
You can buy an off peak ticket for another train (13.43) and get on the actual one you want. As long as it's not an "advanced" ticket you're fine.

Cheers buddy.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: April 6, 2024, 12:28:32 pm »

And if a "sold out" train, I guess we just squeeze on somewhere.

Offline Belmont butty

• Main Stander
« Reply #429 on: April 6, 2024, 12:51:26 pm »
They usually run unreserved carriages on each service. As previously mentioned, just buy an offpeak and jump on the one you want.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 7, 2024, 01:16:35 pm »
You can also try booking to Crewe instead.
Liverpool ist Rad!