Author Topic: Liverpool 1 - 1 Sunderland, (Suarez, Larsson) - Post Match  (Read 147366 times)

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 1 - 1 Sunderland, (Suarez, Larsson) - Post Match
« Reply #920 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »
The centre of midfield doesn't look like it has the right balance at the moment, that contributed to our collapse in the second half a lot I think at the moment there's a massive gap between Carroll & our midfielders resulting in situations like this occurring an awful lot over the course of 90 minutes

Carroll
          Suarez

Downing       Huge Steven Gerrard shaped hole Henderson

Adam

Lucas

If we're going to play 4-3-3 then we need to play 4-3-3 as opposed to this strange floating midfielder situation we've got going on which is doing us no favours. Last season it was Meireles, this season already it appears to be Henderson.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »
Point in the Bag, unbeaten at home, and 2 guaranteed starters including our Captain / Talisman so I am not too upset with that result.

Always struggle against fat head for some reason - however it's the first game of the Season so can't judge much from that performance really.  A mistake by 2 players for their goal, but it should of been game over by then.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #922 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:29 pm »
Almost no through balls the entire match. Cross, cross, cross was all we did. Meireles needs to played in the middle, so wasted on the outside.

Wingers crossing from wide positions time after time.  Who's idea was it to add that dimension to our game ?
 ::)
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Kopite Downunder

• Main Stander
  • 5 European Cups and counting
« Reply #923 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »
There is no easy way to say it . Andy Carroll is just another average hyped up british player. We laughed when chelseas paid 50 for nando but the joke is on us 35 million for player with absolutely nothing going for him bar his age and size. Ngog has better effort and  movement and control . Even his so called strength being heading is average. The sooner he sits on the becnh the sooner we will play football and stop this long ball non sense. He has had he preseason he looks fit so what excuses will people say now ?
Its not about the name on the back of the shirt, its about the crest over the heart!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #924 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:42 pm »
Not sure why everyone's complaining. As things stand we've automatically qualified for the Champions League.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #925 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:51 pm »
Forgetting the refs decision, like it or not, Suarez has to score, isnt it a positive how good we looked in the 1st half and something, when all our players get match fit, we can carry through to both halves of a match as opposed to just one.
I think it is. Its very encouraging.

Agreed , on another day we would of been 2 or 3 up and this place would be so different.If we keep working hard , getting fitter and more understanding between players we will be o.k.The first half alone gives me great encouragement.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #926 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:57 pm »
Thanks to the comm mods for their excellent job, had fun reading through the comments.

Brilliant first half, should have killed the game off there and then. Shit second half, nightmare by Flanagan, and we're going to thrash Arsenal next week. That is all.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #927 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »
putting 4 new player with ONE just signed within 24hrs ..... and hving 2 sth american who i believe they need more rest ... play in front of the owner and try to impress and little show off imo .... this is the wrong line up i truely wanna say
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #928 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:06 pm »
*reads thread, see's Kenny being questioned and compared to Rafa, officially gives up on RAWK*  :wave

Got nothing to say after reading this thread. Or can't be arsed anymore trying to articulate it to knee-jerk whoppers that infest our support anymore.
I'm off.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »
1st half excellent. 2nd half i was shocked at how poor we were.
anyway early days.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Pacman.

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #931 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »
Just back from the match. First half we looked like premier league champions. Second half we looked a mid table team. We looked tired second half, if the ref had done his job and sent Richardson off we'd have won easily. Joke of a decision that and I knew we'd regret missed chances. Shame. Lucky not to lose in the end.

You need to watch that one again.

Suares handballed himself through, threw himself down a bit theatrically, and the keeper was technically behind the defender. If we'd had someone sent off for that we'd be kicking off big time.

We didn't win because when Sunderland woke up and started playing, we couldn't handle it. We didn't have enough drive or creativity through the middle at the tip of the attack. We badly missed a playmaker up behind the strikers.

Caroll seemed isolated and doesn't look a player who will do something on his own, which, for the money, is a bit weird. I'm waiting patiently for these flashes that give an indicator to why we smashed the transfer record. I know fuck all about Andy Carol as a player so it's interesting for me.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #932 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:39 pm »
Not sure why everyone's complaining. As things stand we've automatically qualified for the Champions League.

All we need now is 37 weeks of riots all over the UK and we are sorted.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #933 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »
Point in the Bag, unbeaten at home, and 2 guaranteed starters including our Captain / Talisman so I am not too upset with that result.

Always struggle against fat head for some reason - however it's the first game of the Season so can't judge much from that performance really.  A mistake by 2 players for their goal, but it should of been game over by then.

He does have a surprisingly good record against us. 

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #934 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »
I'm disappointed by the second half performance and fitness but we missed a penalty, hit the bar, had 4 players making their debut and had 2 players who played until the end of June and missed much of the pre season.This team will get better and better as they begin to gel together but they will need time to do so. The positive signs are definitely there so I for one am more than happy to be patient and let the team develop.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #935 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »
No point in putting all of the blame at Dowd's feet. He made a shocking decision (possibly two) that undoubtably had a big effect on the final score of course. Thing is, had we not fell apart after the equaliser the game was still ours to win and going on the first half we really have no excuses for not smashing that Sunderland team out of sight.

Also, there's no point in laying the blame at Flanagan' feet either. He made a few mistakes, contributing heavily to the equaliser. So what, he's 18 and will only improve and learn from mistakes such as today. We should still have won the game.

One thing I really think needs to be moderated though is the apparent compulsion to see big Andy's head as our only attacking threat when things aren't going so well. Of course we have players who can deliver good balls into the box and we need them to, it's just that when we have more than one player in the box we shouldn't be so obvious in where the ball is going to be played and what type of ball is put in there.

Overall I'm not disheartened by the performance. We probably over performed in the first half at times and drastically under performed in the second. If we can find a middle ground which is a bit closer to the first half we should beat most of the sides put in front of us, knowing that we tend to up our game against the top sides.

I'm in the same position as I was when I woke up today, optimistic of a higher finishing place than we achieved last year.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #936 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50:34 pm »
We've lost the winning mentality we throw away leads against mid-table team countless times, ever since rafa's last season the rot has set in and we can't get rid of it.

Why drag Rafa into this? From his team, there were 4 starters - Lucas, Carra, Agger and Reina. The rest are in no way connected to the man. So to get rid of "Rafa's rot", you suggest we sell them on or make them sit on the bench?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Dystopia

• Main Stander
« Reply #937 on: August 13, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »
I never ever thought we would play as we did in the first half. New team, first match, poor pre-season. That's something to build on. And Carroll did fine. The team kinda F-ed him over in the second half as well. Suarez eventually began to struggle with pace due to his lack of rest. With him and Gerrard fit, and Kelly/Johnson back, I see a bright season.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #938 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:07 pm »
putting 4 new player with ONE just signed within 24hrs ..... and hving 2 sth american who i believe they need more rest ... play in front of the owner and try to impress and little show off imo .... this is the wrong line up i truely wanna say

Do us a favour and stop posting such shite.    :tosser

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #939 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:15 pm »
All we need now is 37 weeks of riots all over the UK and we are sorted.

That's easily sorted once we move on King Berti Aquilani.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #940 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »
Oh dear! absolute rubbish. Tell me, would you be saying this had his goal been given today, like it should have done.

I would yes, i've always had reservations about him. Today he actually wasn't too bad. But he doesn't fit the way Kenny seems to want to play.

He is an outlet for an outball. He has not got quick enough feet to be a top player on the ground.

Hey im not going overboard, saying the season is over don't be ridiculous. We have alot to be positive about. Henderson will be a great player for us. Enrique is a superb signing. Suarez would walk into any team in world football. Downing will have his good days and bad days, such is the nature of being a winger, but i'm delighted we have signed him.

The season looks bright.

This is just a specific observation about our £35million centre forward. I hope i'm wrong and he bangs in 30 goals.

But frankly, anyone who isn't a little worried about his effectiveness in a fluid, attacking side who intend to play football on the deck to unlock teams, is a liar.

Because 35million is alot to spend on someone we just intend to lump it forward to.

Also noticeable how Flanagan resorted to long balls when he was lacking in confidence in the second half. He was obviously following his skippers lead.
Flanno is well capable far better distribution than his skipper and i'd be worried about that "calming" influence. The temptation to lump it to Carroll needs to be stamped out. Sad thing is I don't think Carroll is effective in any other kind of system.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #941 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:55 pm »
Why drag Rafa into this? From his team, there were 4 starters - Lucas, Carra, Agger and Reina. The rest are in no way connected to the man. So to get rid of "Rafa's rot", you suggest we sell them on or make them sit on the bench?

It's Rafa's fault we drew innit, him and his evil negative Spanish football.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: August 13, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »
this.

I love Rafa but show some fucking respect to Kenny. Judge his signings at the end of the season, not after one game ffs!

Offline Pacman.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #943 on: August 13, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »
*reads thread, see's Kenny being questioned and compared to Rafa, officially gives up on RAWK*  :wave

Got nothing to say after reading this thread. Or can't be arsed anymore trying to articulate it to knee-jerk whoppers that infest our support anymore.
I'm off.

That's a stupid way of reacting to an obvious question.

How do we know how things will turn out? Don't these things go through your mind as well? Do you completely lose the ability to question things in your head when you support something else?

I support Kenny and I'm optimistic about the future. But I have questions, doubts, more questions...I wonder about stuff What in the feck is wrong with that? Is that banned on here?

Offline kred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #944 on: August 13, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »
Adam was a little hit and miss for me. He had a good first half sitting deep dictating the tempo and direction of the play behind Lucas who was pressing high up the pitch and supporting the forwards and wingers more often than we have seen in the past. However in the second half when Lucas started to tire, Adams lack of mobility and movement became blatently obvious, and although his left foot is indeed very, very sweet - I'm not convinced he is anywhere near the level of Alonso/Pirlo and the likes, for knowing when and how to use it. For me he was too often looking to switch the play in the second half and not getting about enough or doing the simple things. He will be a good player for us - but he needs to cut down on the fags, booze and kebabs and remember a good 10 yard pass can be as telling as a 40 yard ball.

Agree with what you said on the players, esp. Adam being slow.  Was surprised when Meireles came on it wasn't to sub Adam. 

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #945 on: August 13, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »
Sad thing is I don't think Carroll is effective in any other kind of system.

Have to disagree with that, he looks good when the ball comes to his feet. Plays a pass back into midfield or out wide, turns, gets into the box.

He thrives in a team that get a lot of crosses into the box and have runners off of him, not in a team that just pump it towards him in the hope he might manage to knock it down to a teamate.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

hoonin

« Reply #946 on: August 13, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »
To all those who are shouting doom and gloom:

NO TEAM IN THE FUCKING WORLD WOULD BE ABLE TO PUT 5 NEW SIGNINGS INTO A SIDE AND MANAGE TO BEAT EVERY TEAM IN SIGHT!!

Make no mistake, this is going to take some time. Its a long process to get everyone settled and playing together. I thought we did extremely well when you consider the fact that we started FOUR new players. One of which has hardly been able to train with the team. Henderson-Adam-Downing have had 2-3 preseason games plus this game to play together. No way they'll be the finished product yet.

And remember, Meireles is coming back from an injury, Gerrard is coming back from an injury soon, and the mystery of Aquilani. There is a LONG WAY TO GO.

So stop panicking!

If you want instant success, go be a City fan.

No reasoned and considered posts here please.

Offline Ardisha

• Boys Pen
« Reply #947 on: August 13, 2011, 05:55:01 pm »
You Will Never Walk Alone !

Offline Blarf

• Anny Roader
« Reply #948 on: August 13, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »

NO TEAM IN THE FUCKING WORLD WOULD BE ABLE TO PUT 5 NEW SIGNINGS INTO A SIDE AND MANAGE TO BEAT EVERY TEAM IN SIGHT!!

THEN WHY IN THE NAME OF H*LL WE PUT 5 NEW SIGNINGS IN OUR FIRST XI!?

It was our first match of the season. We were a bit rusty (actually we were quite bad in second half) but there were lot of promising stuff. Still, I can't understand why pointing out obvious mistakes and something our game lacked of is very wrong thing to do.

Flanno made a mistake. He is a young player and young players make mistakes. No big deal. Still we should be able to say that he made a mistake. When we start using those mistakes as a reason why he is such a poor player then we are out of line and it's Insua treatment all over again. Denying that he made a mistake is just stupid...

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #949 on: August 13, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »
Was really pleased with the first half.  Good tempo to it, passed the ball around nicely and looked threatening going forward.

Second half, we seemed to tire quickly, lose the ball far to much and too easily, then panic set in.

Was a shame that Downing's shot hit the crossbar.  Andy's goal disallowed for the mearest of pushes.

Thought Downing and Adam had really good games.

Only surprise for me today, was Aquilani's absence from the bench, when he's looked pretty good in pre season.  While Miereles had missed most of pre season due to injury.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
Positives...
« Reply #950 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:28 pm »
All in here for a bit of sanity

First half was good, I thought, we knocked it about and looked dangerous every time we went forward. Downing for a period looked like the dynamic direct player we've lacked for so long, and almost topped it off with one of the goals of the season

If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »
Sat on the train at Lime Street waiting to head off home.

Proper game of two halves that.  first half we were dominant and the pass and move was showing well.  Henderson and Flanno were linking up well and the left side was looking good.  Didn't take our chances though.  There was some decent linkups between Carroll and Suarez although it's clearly early days in their relationship.

Second half was just awful.  No drive and a complete lack of cohesion.  Suarez looked jaded, probably because of the crazy schedule and being fouled constantly.  Lucas, who is normally so reliable started to get sloppy in possession.  Same for Adam.  Flanno, who had looked so good in the first half started making silly passes and mistakes.  No idea why Raul came on and went wide left.  What was bizarre was how despite having so many central midfielders we had gaping holes through the centre.

Goal conceded was as sloppy as they come but again, it's early days.

In many ways the problems may have come out of fielding a team with so many new players but for the first half all the new boys looked solid.  The team cohesion just disappeared in the second half.

Disappointing but not the end of the world.  Need to get the lads in training and just push on.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #952 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »
That's easily sorted once we move on King Berti Aquilani.

Im not going there, I get into trouble.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: August 13, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »

Then why did we put in 5 new player in the starting eleven? This is the reason to stick with the majority of a proven team, especially when it did so well in the second half of last season? Maxi, Kuyt, Meireles?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #954 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »
I think the thing that disappointed me the most, in both halves, was the poor ball retention. I was probably spoiled by Benitez, but I was used too 60-70% possession at home, with questionable offensive moves. Now we are down to 50% possession at home, but still lack attacking prowess.
Yeah to be far 51% possession at home to Sunderland, conceding more shots and shots on target too, having had 57% possession in the first half is pretty damn poor.

It didn't seem like our ball retention was that bad to me, but it can't have been very good with those stats. It also shows that we struggled to win the ball back from them too - they had it far too easy in possession.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #955 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:31 pm »
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #956 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
Everyone will be deflated when we draw 1-1 ;)
:)
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #957 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:17 pm »
That's a stupid way of reacting to an obvious question.

How do we know how things will turn out? Don't these things go through your mind as well? Do you completely lose the ability to question things in your head when you support something else?

I support Kenny and I'm optimistic about the future. But I have questions, doubts, more questions...I wonder about stuff What in the feck is wrong with that? Is that banned on here?

There is a clear difference between having doubts after the 1st game of the season and having doubts after say 15 games of the season.
You have to take all things into account, such as new players in the team, lack of match fitness which all players will suffer from until about 4 or 5 games in.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #958 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:05 pm »
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Because he's being sold.

No he isn't he's staying.

Kenny doesn't want him.

Yes he does.

Alberto wants to go home.

No he doesn't, whats your source!?

We don't know.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:02:27 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Suárez_7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #959 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:29 pm »
Watching us launch missiles from our own base = complete and utter shit. Easy way out that's all it is should of been stamped out last season never mind going into this season.
Fitness along with the missiles my only problems with today's performance. The first half performance just makes the second half ten times worse to take.