Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1001755 times)

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Darwin Núñez !!!
« Reply #2200 on: September 16, 2022, 09:32:37 am »
It’s far too early . However there are some warning signs :

1. We don’t tend to pay these types of fees. Vvd was far more established when we bought him.

VVD and Alisson, the other comparitor, were not really established i would argue.

VVD had played two years in England and a handful of games in the CL for Celtic. He wasnt didnt even have that many Holland caps at that point. He grew at Southampton to being one of the best in the league and was the best really when he joined us to his injury. Alisson on the otherhand had one senior season behind him in Italy before we paid top dollar for him.

I think we pay the money for the players we are certain on rather than estabilished per se,  and maybe we are on Nunez as well..

The only estabilished player we have bought is Thiago really
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:34:54 am by klopptopia »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2201 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:44 am »
VVD and Alisson, the other comparitor, were not really established i would argue.

VVD had played two years in England and a handful of games in the CL for Celtic. He wasnt didnt even have that many Holland caps at that point. He grew at Southampton to being one of the best in the league and was the best really when he joined us to his injury. Alisson on the otherhand had one senior season behind him in Italy before we paid top dollar for him.

I think we pay the money for the players we are certain on rather than estabilished per se,  and maybe we are on Nunez as well..

They both were established and had bigger profiles than Nunez, also both were pretty much the perfect two we could get in terms of physical and technical attributes and how they would instantly mesh in with how we play.

Nunez is a far far bigger question mark, for one he has doubts over his technical ability which both VVD and Alisson never had, there are a handful of Cbs with better on the ball quality than VVD and same in regards to goalkeepers and Alisson.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:01:17 am by Coolie High »

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: September 16, 2022, 10:04:24 am »
They both were established and had bigger profiles than Nunez, also both were pretty much the perfect two we could get in terms of physical and technical attributes and how they would instantly mesh in with how we play.

Nunez is a far far bigger question mark, for one he has doubts over his technical ability which both VVD and Alisson never had, there are a handful of Cbs with better on the ball quality than VVD and same in regards to goalkeepers and Alisson.

You only have to compare their relative ages to see the difference. And which leagues they were playing in.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2203 on: September 16, 2022, 10:06:37 am »
My only criticism with him at the moment is that he's trying too hard. He needs to be calmer in his play, and stop snatching at shots and trying to do too much.

He has the tools to be a success, but we need time for 1) the team to settle and recover from a bad start and 2) the team to learn how to use him effectively.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2204 on: September 16, 2022, 10:08:51 am »
his name is Darwin

OF COURSE HE'S GONNA EVOLVE

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: September 16, 2022, 10:16:49 am »

I didn't watch that many Roma games so I don't remember Alisson's level when there but I watched a lot of Southampton games and Van Dijk was absolutely class when he was there. When we were linked with him I was delighted and I recall that day when we thought we had blown the transfer and that we were pulling out of the deal and I don't think I have ever been as distraught about missing out on a signing as I was at that moment.

Anybody who watched him knew he was quality and those questioning whether he was in anyway good enough clearly didnt. He was as close to a sure thing as you were going to get, same with Salah.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2206 on: September 16, 2022, 11:08:05 am »
We've witnessed the talent first hand ...but he's a young lad in new surroundings and low on confidence...with that in mind, I loved his geeing up the crowd moment...would like to see more of that from him, as the energy would be reciprocated and directed back at him from the stands....a bit of Joey Jones'esque air-punching cult status in tandem with a bounceable song would bring his settling in period along leaps and bounds...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2207 on: September 16, 2022, 11:14:12 am »
Our most promising striker and poster boy since Torres.. Struggling to find the current gerrard though..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2208 on: September 16, 2022, 12:09:02 pm »
Our most promising striker and poster boy since Torres.. Struggling to find the current gerrard though..

A little bit ridiculous but alright.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2209 on: September 16, 2022, 12:23:53 pm »
We've witnessed the talent first hand ...but he's a young lad in new surroundings and low on confidence...with that in mind, I loved his geeing up the crowd moment...would like to see more of that from him, as the energy would be reciprocated and directed back at him from the stands....a bit of Joey Jones'esque air-punching cult status in tandem with a bounceable song would bring his settling in period along leaps and bounds...

Imagine the fume from Senegal Twitter when he gets a proper song
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2210 on: September 16, 2022, 01:15:35 pm »
The lack of regular football in recent weeks mixed with indifferent form has sent lots of people crazy. This thread, along with the Arthur stuff, is an interesting study in how folk fill the void with 'insights' based on virtually no evidence.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #2211 on: September 16, 2022, 02:30:19 pm »
Give the lad a chance, he's only been here five minutes and already has had a (self inflicted) absence from the team.

Many of our great players weren't instant superstars.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: September 16, 2022, 05:02:07 pm »
"how folk fill the void with 'insights' based on virtually no evidence". Also known as the Spanish and Italian sports media.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2213 on: September 16, 2022, 05:07:41 pm »
"how folk fill the void with 'insights' based on virtually no evidence". Also known as the Spanish and Italian sports media.

And the Body Language Intelligensia.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #2214 on: September 16, 2022, 11:36:28 pm »
What makes me laugh is you can watch Haaland play and he looks even worse except for some prenatural ability to arrive at the ball right in front of the goal. If he had signed for us instead of Nunez and all of his odd angled foot shots shanked or skimmed wide I don't doubt that this thread would be much different. Just a bunch of people posting stuff that has no relation to reality in my mind.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: September 17, 2022, 07:56:07 pm »
And the Body Language Intelligensia.

Didi Hamann and Steve Nichol are big fans of that so it's not just the "Intelligensia".

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2216 on: September 17, 2022, 08:21:04 pm »
Didi Hamann and Steve Nichol are big fans of that so it's not just the "Intelligensia".
Interesting notion. What's the opposite of intelligensia? Thickiensia? Moronsia? Didiensia? Agbonlahensia?

We already know that the opposite of genius is Jenas
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: September 17, 2022, 08:59:46 pm »
What makes me laugh is you can watch Haaland play and he looks even worse except for some prenatural ability to arrive at the ball right in front of the goal. If he had signed for us instead of Nunez and all of his odd angled foot shots shanked or skimmed wide I don't doubt that this thread would be much different. Just a bunch of people posting stuff that has no relation to reality in my mind.
Yep, reality was everybody was desperate for Nunez and Haaland to fail. Remember all that crap about Haaland after the charity sheild, Nunez will soon enough silence his critics. The lad has everything he needs to flourish here.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: September 17, 2022, 09:00:54 pm »

We already know that the opposite of genius is Jenas
👍🤣

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2219 on: September 18, 2022, 08:39:22 am »
As ever, people wildly overrate things like first touch, technique, finishing ability (judging finishing from a small sample is basically pointless) and massively underrate the value of consistently getting high value chances. You can name loads of strikers in the top 5 leagues who on the face of it seem to have a better touch/passing ability than Nunez. How many can you name that have his ability to get shots off from high xG positions? A handful.

Some simple truths: xG is a better predictor of future goals than goals.

If Nunez continues to get shots off from the same locations he has been/at a similar volume he will score tonnes of goals.

Getting high xG chances on a regular basis is a more valuable/tangible skill than being a 'great finisher' - let's not forget that many people were proclaiming him to be a natural finisher just off the basis of one season where he overperformed  his xG. We simply don't have a big enough sample at the moment to know how good a finisher he is. Maybe he's a Son/Mahrez level finisher but it's very unlikely, maybe he's a Benteke level finisher but again it seems unlikely. Like most players, he'll probably end up being an around average finisher and given the number of high xG chances he gets that's absolutely fine by me.

You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: September 18, 2022, 09:14:40 am »
As ever, people wildly overrate things like first touch, technique, finishing ability (judging finishing from a small sample is basically pointless) and massively underrate the value of consistently getting high value chances. You can name loads of strikers in the top 5 leagues who on the face of it seem to have a better touch/passing ability than Nunez. How many can you name that have his ability to get shots off from high xG positions? A handful.

Some simple truths: xG is a better predictor of future goals than goals.

If Nunez continues to get shots off from the same locations he has been/at a similar volume he will score tonnes of goals.

Getting high xG chances on a regular basis is a more valuable/tangible skill than being a 'great finisher' - let's not forget that many people were proclaiming him to be a natural finisher just off the basis of one season where he overperformed  his xG. We simply don't have a big enough sample at the moment to know how good a finisher he is. Maybe he's a Son/Mahrez level finisher but it's very unlikely, maybe he's a Benteke level finisher but again it seems unlikely. Like most players, he'll probably end up being an around average finisher and given the number of high xG chances he gets that's absolutely fine by me.

what’s an acceptable outcome for you by the end of the season in terms of league goals scored?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2221 on: September 18, 2022, 09:33:54 am »
Think 15 would be a good start
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2222 on: September 18, 2022, 09:50:46 am »
20 goals in all comps would be a solid return in his first season, but I reckon he'll easily beat that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2223 on: September 18, 2022, 09:59:43 am »
what’s an acceptable outcome for you by the end of the season in terms of league goals scored?
It really depends on how many minutes he plays. Reasonable to assume Jota will play a lot of minutes at 9.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: September 18, 2022, 10:01:58 am »
Far to early to judge him. He hasn't played enough and is trying too hard. He looks scruffy but so does Salah at times and indeed Mane even more so. As long as he gets goals then it will be money well spent

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: September 18, 2022, 10:04:39 am »
20 goals in all comps would be a solid return in his first season, but I reckon he'll easily beat that.

He will given the game time and if he stays fit i'm sure. It's more difficult if he's in and out the side all season and getting 20 minutes off the bench.

Jota scored 21 last season and Mane 23. Jota in 55 appearances and 3,754 minutes and Mane 51 appearances in 3,939 minutes (and missed a month).

Nunez played 2,778 minutes last season for Benfica. 259 minutes so far this season which is nothing really. Of course it's up to the player to earn the shirt as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2226 on: September 18, 2022, 11:11:37 am »

Would be some ask that. 20 goals is a lot of goals.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2227 on: September 18, 2022, 11:22:05 am »
Would be some ask that. 20 goals is a lot of goals.

Across all competitions though, so he should bang in a few against cup teams.  Think he'll do it no problem.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: September 18, 2022, 11:28:57 am »
Across all competitions though, so he should bang in a few against cup teams.  Think he'll do it no problem.

That would make him a proper success especially after his first season. Considering Id have Jota start over him, a target of 15 would be suitable.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: September 18, 2022, 11:44:52 am »
That would make him a proper success especially after his first season. Considering Id have Jota start over him, a target of 15 would be suitable.
Yeah I think 20 is a big ask too, would have to imagine it's been a very successful season (including in three cups) to have a shot at that I reckon - in the context of him being eased into games as he tries to adapt to learn how to play how we want to in the front three.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: September 18, 2022, 11:49:27 am »
20 would be a solid first season. Even then though he'll be compared against Haaland knocking in 60+.

Needs to get on a run as well. That's where Jota tends to get the bulk of his goals, in streaks.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: September 18, 2022, 11:52:19 am »
I'll be interested to see him play when we have a functioning midfield again...
Been way off this season for whatever reason.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: September 18, 2022, 11:53:31 am »
20 would be a solid first season. Even then though he'll be compared against Haaland knocking in 60+.

Needs to get on a run as well. That's where Jota tends to get the bulk of his goals, in streaks.

20 would be more than solid, it would be really incredible in my opinion especially from now where he looks incredibly raw and not in tune with much of our play.

In terms of Haaland I dont think he will be compared to by the end.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: September 18, 2022, 12:01:23 pm »
Why do people keep saying "solid" to describe a debut season scoring 20 goals despite being eased into the lineup and already missing 3 games.

Solid to me sounds like par for golf. I'd say solid describes something like 12-15.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: September 18, 2022, 12:07:51 pm »
Jota will be starting more games than Nunez so I'd be happy with 10 goals considering his game time will be limited. Even then if he isn't getting goals, maybe he just makes a nuisance so we can scramble one home.

It's just good to have an option there off the bench for now while he has the freedom to develop and improve in training because he does need to and at least he's working with the best in Jurgen to try and develop.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: September 18, 2022, 12:24:21 pm »
Why do people keep saying "solid" to describe a debut season scoring 20 goals despite being eased into the lineup and already missing 3 games.

Solid to me sounds like par for golf. I'd say solid describes something like 12-15.

Bobby scored 11 last season and didn't feature that much and wasn't much of a goal threat.

If you're the main striker in a top team you'd expect to score 20 in all comps if you're playing around 50 games. The main challenge Nunez has at the moment is to be that main striker and keep his place. If he's not starting regularly then 20 goals isn't realistic, it is if he does.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2236 on: September 18, 2022, 12:43:49 pm »

Solid post...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2237 on: September 18, 2022, 12:58:50 pm »
Yeah I heard that in a recent podcast

His Wikipedia page said he scored loads last year [cetacean needed].

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: September 18, 2022, 01:04:24 pm »
Solid post...
;D

will take that, am usually posting bogies all over

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #2239 on: September 18, 2022, 01:31:38 pm »
wow judging a player that has only been with us five mins ?? i often wonder if they are trolls not fans ??
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......