Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 523864 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #2920 on: November 23, 2020, 11:07:33 pm »
Williams should definitely come in. After the first game against Atalanta you certainly wouldn't be worrying about him in there. Who to start alongside him is the question. I'd go Fabinho, because despite his injury troubles Matip has had it much worse. Shame we don't have Phillips in the squad because he could play at least 2 of the last 3 in Europe.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2921 on: November 23, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
There's nothing explicitly stopping him from playing every 3 days that I've ever seen mentioned.  He certainly struggles with injury but I've never seen it linked to the volume of games (beyond the normal correlation of more games meaning more opportunity for injury) or needing a particularly long recovery time between games.

While he remains fit I'd expect him to play every important game for us.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2922 on: November 23, 2020, 11:45:35 pm »
Oh yeah Phillips can't play can he. I think we could see 45 mins each for fabinho and Matip?

Is a great shout on the 45 mins each and what we've done with the midfielders before

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2923 on: November 24, 2020, 12:00:45 am »
Think it will be Rhys Williams and Matip against Atalanta on Wednesday and Nat Phillips and Fabinho on Saturday against Brighton. Can't see either Matip or Fabinho playing 3 games in 7 days.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2924 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:25 am »
Billy is not registered for CL is my understanding
You sure? I know Phillips isn't, but thought Billy was, and it was just his injuries that kept him away from the squad?

Actually, this:
"List ‘B’ is an unlimited number of players under 21 with at least two years’ training at Anfield. The deadline for registering them is midnight before any group game."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:58:50 am by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline LFCobsessive

• Main Stander
  • 'No more half-measures.'
« Reply #2925 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:03 am »
Great defender, always more comfortable seeing his name on the team sheet. Huge pity about the time out of the game he spends with his various injuries. Gave a top class performance after having to come back into a makeshift team and from his own fitness and injury stuff. Him and Fab work very well together. I think Fab has been exceptional at CB but of course then we lose the option of having him in the midfield and at times we are really going to want to have him there.
  Maybe some games could work like it did when Neco came on and Milner moved to midfield. A CB could come on in the CL games or Prem games if midfield is getting overrun and Fab can move to Midfield during the game.
  Stay fit all season kidda, about time we all got to see you play for many games. Yeah always been a big fan of Matip but to me it was a situation were I thought we need to buy a CB or two even though we have him because of the injury problems.
'Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt. We don't need to motivate players because each of them is responsible for the performance of the team as a whole. The status of Liverpool's players keeps them motivated.'
Bill Shankly.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2926 on: November 24, 2020, 12:40:30 pm »
Oh yeah Phillips can't play can he. I think we could see 45 mins each for fabinho and Matip?

We do have the ‘luxury’ of 5 subs so I guess that’s possible. And to be fair, I’d want at least one senior player in there against Atalanta or Ajax (if we haven’t qualified) so maybe a half each is the way to go.

Tough call regardless but would be nice to get qualification wrapped up and then it doesn’t matter who we play.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: November 24, 2020, 12:48:26 pm »
Matip is def. starting, he's in today's presser with Klopp

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #2928 on: November 24, 2020, 05:52:18 pm »
You sure? I know Phillips isn't, but thought Billy was, and it was just his injuries that kept him away from the squad?

Actually, this:
"List ‘B’ is an unlimited number of players under 21 with at least two years’ training at Anfield. The deadline for registering them is midnight before any group game."
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2929 on: November 30, 2020, 04:54:46 pm »

James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
·
1m
Welcome sight of Joel Matip training at Kirkby. Defender set to come back into the side to face Ajax after being rested against Brighton #LFC

Just for those who may still be worried about him not being involved against Brighton :)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #2930 on: December 1, 2020, 10:20:55 pm »
Matip was my MotM today. Majestic giraffe.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2931 on: December 1, 2020, 10:21:48 pm »
Him and Fabino were both fantastic.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2932 on: December 1, 2020, 10:24:55 pm »
I was fucking terrified when he had to sprint back at full pace around 85 minutes. Jokes aside, he was faultless. Absolutely top class defender.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2933 on: December 1, 2020, 10:47:16 pm »
And back he goes into his bubble wrap suit for a few days.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2934 on: December 6, 2020, 09:11:28 pm »
We have the four best centre backs on the planet. Great player, great celebration.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2935 on: December 6, 2020, 09:31:05 pm »
Another imperious performance along with Fab. And what a conviction for that goal...

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2936 on: December 6, 2020, 09:42:26 pm »
He's world class in my eyes, and underrated in the game.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2937 on: December 6, 2020, 09:43:41 pm »
Wrap him in cotton wool now for the Fulham game.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2938 on: December 6, 2020, 09:45:34 pm »
Wrap him in cotton wool now for the Fulham game.

He shouldn't be anywhere near that plane to go away midweek should he?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2939 on: December 6, 2020, 09:49:39 pm »

Him, Robbo and Gini are the 3 who should not be allowed out of the house for a few days.

And the likes of Mo, Mane, Bobby, Trent, Hendo and Fab shouldn’t be going there either.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2940 on: December 6, 2020, 09:53:08 pm »
Honestly think Matip-Fabinho is better than any first choice centre back pair in the league (not counting Van Dijk and Gomez). I don’t think I’d take any player currently ahead of our two brilliant defenders.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #2941 on: December 6, 2020, 09:54:02 pm »
Has scored more goals than Joelinton.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2942 on: December 6, 2020, 09:58:05 pm »
Has scored more goals than Joelinton.
So, what you are saying is that Matip>inton?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2943 on: December 6, 2020, 09:58:12 pm »

No. Question is whether he's risked for Fulham before Spurs or we play Phillips.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2944 on: December 6, 2020, 09:58:53 pm »
Honestly think Matip-Fabinho is better than any first choice centre back pair in the league (not counting Van Dijk and Gomez). I don’t think I’d take any player currently ahead of our two brilliant defenders.

Matip is the closest thing to Van Dijk.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2945 on: December 6, 2020, 10:02:44 pm »
No. Question is whether he's risked for Fulham before Spurs or we play Phillips.

That's actually a pretty good point. Does it make more sense to play him midweek and then miss Fulham to give him a full week to recover before Spurs? Phillips should be fine against Fulham.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2946 on: December 6, 2020, 10:20:02 pm »
I love watching Big Joel Matip as a footballer, because he’s just really really good at it, but equally as much I love watching his reactions during a game ;D  They are often priceless. The one tonight when that Wolves player made a meal of things was up there with his best.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2947 on: December 6, 2020, 10:24:16 pm »
That's actually a pretty good point. Does it make more sense to play him midweek and then miss Fulham to give him a full week to recover before Spurs? Phillips should be fine against Fulham.

I wouldn't play him midweek either way. We've got 3 games in 6 days starting with Fulham, Spurs and then the Palace early kick off. You wouldn't want Matip (or many others) starting all 3. Centre halves tend to play 90 minutes as well and only 3 subs. Palace a tougher game than Fulham on paper.

For example, Fulham - Phillips and Fabinho. Spurs - Matip and Fabinho. Palace - Phillips and Matip (fitness permitting).

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2948 on: December 6, 2020, 10:27:03 pm »
Yeah I can agree with that, those 3 games make it tough to pick a team. I think we'll see a pretty big rotation over the next week, our only saving grace is that we have 8 days between Palace and West Brom which will definitely help

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #2949 on: December 6, 2020, 10:28:37 pm »
:D

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2950 on: December 6, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »
Yeah I can agree with that, those 3 games make it tough to pick a team. I think we'll see a pretty big rotation over the next week, our only saving grace is that we have 8 days between Palace and West Brom which will definitely help

The key is having Matip and Fabinho against Spurs with the form their forwards are in (and Alisson, Trent, Robbo, Hendo and Gini available).

We can work around the Spurs game for Fulham and Palace a bit like we did last December either side of the Salzburg game. I think it was Bournemouth away we had a scratch side out and still won.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2951 on: December 6, 2020, 11:21:18 pm »

I think Matip and Van Dijk is the best partnership. In fact I think Matip would be first choice if he weren't injured. Not a slight on Gomez, but Matip is that good.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2952 on: December 6, 2020, 11:59:04 pm »
I think Matip and Van Dijk is the best partnership. In fact I think Matip would be first choice if he weren't injured. Not a slight on Gomez, but Matip is that good.

Agreed.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2953 on: December 7, 2020, 12:05:36 am »
In fact I think Matip would be first choice if he weren't injured. Not a slight on Gomez, but Matip is that good.

Gomez at his best just shades it for me, but he's inconsistent. Matip is far superior to Gomez in the air, but Gomez is better with the ball at his feet.

But you're right - Matip is a far better defender than he often gets credit for. Maybe because we picked him up for free rather than paying £75m for him? Anyway, I have to admit I have been guilty of underappreciating him in the past.

He has been exceptional lately. His partnership with Fabinho is a joy to watch. No way would I drop Matip for anyone at the moment - as long as he can stay fit!

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2954 on: December 7, 2020, 12:12:30 am »
Gomez at his best just shades it for me, but he's inconsistent. Matip is far superior to Gomez in the air, but Gomez is better with the ball at his feet.

But you're right - Matip is a far better defender than he often gets credit for. Maybe because we picked him up for free rather than paying £75m for him? Anyway, I have to admit I have been guilty of underappreciating him in the past.

He has been exceptional lately. His partnership with Fabinho is a joy to watch. No way would I drop Matip for anyone at the moment - as long as he can stay fit!

Gomez is a good centre back but to say he's better with the ball that Joel is not something I see. Gomez gives the ball away so often and is prone to play players into trouble with slack passes. Joel s much more deliberate with his distribution.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2955 on: December 7, 2020, 12:13:55 am »
Superb performance.

Anybody know his contract status?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2956 on: December 7, 2020, 12:22:33 am »
Gomez is a good centre back but to say he's better with the ball that Joel is not something I see. Gomez gives the ball away so often and is prone to play players into trouble with slack passes. Joel s much more deliberate with his distribution.

Agreed. For me, Matip shades it in most areas except recovery speed (with a comfortable margin in aerial ability and goal threat). Having said that, most of our clean sheet streaks seem to come with Joe+VVD. so I might be missing something.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #2957 on: December 7, 2020, 12:23:23 am »
Superb performance.

Anybody know his contract status?

Sure he signed a new one last year until 2024
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2958 on: December 7, 2020, 08:48:12 am »
I've previously said that Gomez with his pace takes our already excellent defence to an even higher level, but right now I'm not sure about who I prefer. Both are superb at their best, but I think Matip is probably better suited to lead the defence, so if I had to chose one when Van Dijk is unavailable it would probably be Matip. Both are excellent at their best though, just a shame niether has any luck with injuries.

It's also fantastic how well Fabinho's adapted to playing in defence. You'd think he'd played there all his life, his reading of the game is outstanding. He's not very similar in terms of style, but it's like having Desially in our side, world class in both defensive midfield and at centre back.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2959 on: December 7, 2020, 10:01:48 am »
I love watching Big Joel Matip as a footballer, because he’s just really really good at it, but equally as much I love watching his reactions during a game ;D  They are often priceless. The one tonight when that Wolves player made a meal of things was up there with his best.

Ha ha - yes and if you imagine his high speaking voice it always cracks me up- he is comedy gold!