Author Topic: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian  (Read 91027 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian
« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2021, 02:09:10 pm »
Phil Turned down an OBE in protest about ‘those who remained unresponsive’ to efforts for justice after the tragedy. This is a man of honour and principle. We should be really proud of him.
I am very aware of that. I was being ironic (as in I was having a dig at the establishment that tried to buy him off with a gong) in the light of having had an excellent discussion last night about how we can proceed forward. :thumbup  Stuff is happening, his guidance and wisdom continue to be incalculably helpful and we are staggered beyond belief as to where he gets his energy from.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2021, 02:11:02 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #41 on: June 3, 2021, 03:26:23 pm »
Amazing post Timbo and Phil is fully deserving of it.

It’s hard for some of us to come up with the words necessary to show our appreciation and gratitude for everything Phil has done for the families, thank you seems small and insufficient.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 3, 2021, 08:25:07 pm »
Amazing post Timbo and Phil is fully deserving of it.

It’s hard for some of us to come up with the words necessary to show our appreciation and gratitude for everything Phil has done for the families, thank you seems small and insufficient.

This. Don't have the words, but didn't want to post nothing.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #43 on: June 3, 2021, 09:17:19 pm »

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 3, 2021, 09:25:24 pm »
Fantastic post about, as you put it so well, a uniquely extraordinary person. A beacon of integrity and honour in a sea of liars and lesser men. YNWA
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: June 3, 2021, 10:13:01 pm »
Great post Timbo. many people deserve praise for there part in the fight for justice, many of those people are members of this forum, as mentioned in a previous post RAWK laid it all out on a plate for the authorities, tremendous respect for all of them for their intelligence and the years of perseverance but Phils influence uncovering and exposing the evidence in the years following the disaster till this day was massive. as you say you dread to think how things would be today if Phil had not got involved from the beginning.

He knew the system was broken and corrupt, he explained how the system was broken and corrupt in  detail in his books, Phils Hillsbourgh The Truth was just a incredible expose on everything wrong leading up to the disaster and the long years fighting for the Truth to be accepted as fact. looked at my copy of the book to see if I wanted to highlight anything in particular and saw highlighted parts on page after page all through the book which reminded me of my reaction when first reading the book, shock and outrage just shaking my head and thinking about what I had just read. that happened many times reading Phils book.

Phil also never lost sight of what had actually happened, people had lost loved ones, friends were lost, he always felt for the families and the victims, something lost on many people involved with the investigation defending the guilty. Phils modest response just doing what he knew to be right puts all those people to shame.

Any Scouser will tell you how the country felt about Liverpool in the years following Hillsborough, horrible period is a understatement, Phils contribution played a big part in silencing the nasty smears and insults you heard in many parts of the country. he gave us the evidence to silence the guilty and the corrupt.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2021, 10:14:53 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #46 on: June 3, 2021, 10:20:39 pm »
What a wonderful OP Timbo.....

I, like so many who were at Hillsborough, struggled in the aftermath such was the enormity of the horror that we watched unfold - a good friend of mine died on the pitch (RIP Alan) a lad who stood with us on the Kop, bevvied with us after the games...I knew it could so easily have been me or one of my brothers instead of him - I attended his funeral in a strange daze of disbelief and guilt..and it took me a very long time to lose that feeling. My own coping strategy was to not talk about it, and to be honest I still don't to this day. So all I can say to Phil is thank you for not doing that...thank you for your bravery and unswerving commitment in taking them on, the liars, the cowards, the self-serving brick wall, the unholy alliance of police, media and government, the rotten daisy-chain of establishment corruption. Thank you Phil - you're as much of an LFC legend to me as the numerous great players I've watched grace this club over the years...and every Liverpool fan I know thinks likewise.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #47 on: June 3, 2021, 11:17:09 pm »
Cheers for everything, Phil. I doubt you'll ever fully know the difference you've made to so many.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #48 on: June 4, 2021, 02:01:34 am »
That is a superb post at the top of the thread, Timbo, and a fitting tribute to a wonderful man..

I'll be honest, I kept out of the thread and have kept out of other threads around Hillsborough over the years because I can't find the words.

I wasn't actually at Hillsborough on the fateful day. Mates I usually went to the match with were there though. My cousin was there too. He was in the Leppings Lane and got hurt, but survived. We've never had a conversation about the events of the day since. He either can't or won't go there. Emotionally, he's a closed book. He came home hurt more psychologically than physically, and I think that's true for many survivors.

I watched on television as events unfolded. I saw footage long before Kick-off approached where the pens on the wings of Leppings Lane were virtually empty but the two central ones looked oddly over-populated. I sensed even then that something was not right. It looked wrong and felt wrong, and that was just to me, a viewer on television. Much later, as the horror unfolded before us, I feared for those poor people. I wondered if I'd ever see my cousin alive again. I was so angry seeing police officers pushing fans off the fence and back down into the crush. All our lives changed right then...

To be truthful, I feel totally unqualified to say much more about Hillsborough. I was one of the lucky ones. I could have been there but wasn't. I could have lost loved ones, but thankfully I didn't. Despite that, the pain was searing. The emptiness, the sense of loss, the feelings of helplessness were all there, yet I was still one of the lucky ones. I felt emotionally paralysed, yet, I was one of the lucky ones.

The towering enormity of what happened that day and what came afterwards pretty much overwhelmed me. Yes, me. A person who wasn't there and was lucky enough to see his loved ones return. It's with my own feelings in mind that I can genuinely say I just do not know how the families found the courage and the resolve to push on and fight for the justice that they deserved. I've had plenty of loss in my life, and it's excruciatingly painful, but when you love people you sort of sign up for that because loss is ultimately inevitable. When you wave your loved ones off to a football match you don't sign up for the possibility that they might not make it home ever again, though. You also don't expect those with a duty of care towards them to make catastrophic errors then cover them up either.

To me, the courage and the resolve of the families is staggering and, so too, is the invaluable work done by Professor Scraton. A beacon of truth, shining light into an establishment-led conspiracy of darkness, disinformation and misinformation.

I thank you, Mr Scraton, for being the voice I never felt qualified to be. Thank you for being there for the families and for truth and justice. If only there were more people in this world like you. We live in a world where integrity, truth, honesty, humility and a deep belief in true justice are rare things, but you, sir, possess those things and much more in abundance. I don't even believe in religion, but I still find myself periodically thanking 'God' that there are people like your good self still left out there and exposing the truth and also those who pervert the truth for their own ends.

I wish I could say more. I wish I could do more too, but the whole thing overwhelms me. I'm just so thankful that there are people far stronger and far more intelligent and qualified than I am who can fight on and on with incredible resolve to keep the flag of truth flying.

Thank you once again Mr Scraton. Hopefully you know just how appreciated you are by us all.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #49 on: June 4, 2021, 05:34:27 am »
Great thread and, as Al says, long overdue.

I've never had the privilege of meeting Phil, but as many people do, I feel he has been there alongside me for years, with his knowledge and expertise and courage, providing us, the layfolk, with the answers and the tools to fight the good fight and persevere in the cause of justice.

The quality of being a Liverpool fan inevitably encompases the quality of being a campaigner, a fighter for truth and justice. This is not something you really have much choice about; the nature of our history and the events that have shaped it mean we are all drawn into the web to some degree or other, whether we set out to be so or not.

But it's because not all of us can devote ourselves to the cause so thoroughly and unstintingly that Prof Phil has been so important. Over many years he has provided us with the knowledge, the facts and the tools to play our own small part in the fight, and more than that, provided us with an the example, to follow. He has been a shining light that both illuminates and leads, and perhaps even more importantly, an exemplar of courage and determination and never-say-die fortitude, to give us heart and keep our resolve strong at the worst of times.

His book has been a constant aide when dealing with others, both a shield and a sword in the fight against ignorance and calumny; an essential reference point both to keep ourselves apprised of the facts and to teach and convince others. Like many I long ago gave up hope of changing the minds of the haters and the self-servingly deluded. There are people out there who want the lies to be true and who revel in them, and who, consequently, will never be convinced - never want to be convinced.

But there are also many people whose ignorance of the facts is inadvertent, a consequence of the lies that were confected and disseminated especially for this purpose. People like that can be convinced, can be shown how they have literally been lied to and led up the garden path by an establishment covering their own backs and manufacturing their own, preferred 'truth'. But to convince those honest and unbiased people you need to have the facts at your command, and need a strong, well-researched, unimpeachable and - most of all - convincing adumbration and elaboration of the truth...not the 'truth' but the TRUTH.

Phil's book and his many articles and talks and interviews and work with the HIP give us that. They are the Hillsborough campaigners go-to resources. Their academic excellence, strength of argument and intellectual probity are without question. In my own experience they have helped change the minds of many fair-minded people who would have remained ignorant otherwise, and who my own broken, halting attempts at setting straight may not have convinced.

It may be, to paraphrase Schopenhauer, that the truth is first ridiculed, then violently oppressed and then finally accepted as self-evident. But to get to that third stage needs truth-seekers of uncanny resolve and determination. People willing to put in the hard-yards and do the dirty work of research and scrutiny and sifting and making links and chasing-up clues until the whole bloody panorama is laid bare. Without those truth seekers the lies will always prevail because, as well as not needing boots, lies can be specifically tailored to be seductive and appealing and persuasive, whereas the truth is always the truth whether it appeals or repels, whether it is elegant or awkward. So it needs a special kind of person to seek out the possibly awkward and repellent and undignified truth and stay uncorrupted and unscarred by the experience.

To paraphrase another truthseeker, Galileo, the truth is easy to understand and accept once it's been discovered; but first you need to discover it.  That's why people like Phil Scraton are so important. So for your unfailing resolve, your unflinching tenacity and your unflappable courage I salute you Phil, and all the other truthseekers out there.

Thanks for all you've done and what a blessing and relief it is to know that you'll be there with us as the struggle continues.

YNWA
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 4, 2021, 08:04:09 am »
I remember on one of the documentaries they interviewed a fire fighter who spoke about giving CPR to a lad on the pitch and bringing him back to life, that was my mate he saved. Our kid said enjoy the game see you next week to the 15yr old lad who worked in the kitchen with him and was his mate, he never came back. My Mum asked me, do you remember so and so from when we lived in Kirkby, he got killed. Everyone of these, like the rest, was blamed for what happened to them, even though they were absolutely not to blame in any way shape or form.

I would like to add my heartfelt thanks to Phil Scraton for everything he has done for the 96, the survivors, their families and friends.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #51 on: June 4, 2021, 08:44:42 am »
Yeah he's an amazing fella. I didn't go on that day, but I have a few friends that did.

His dedication, belief and drive for the truth is one of the most amazing things I've seen. The familes and those abandoned by the authorities and the state had no one to turn to and nowhere to go and then Phil stepped in with his colleagues at the University and not only highlighted the details (Sadly ignored by the powers-that-be) but personally stood up and represented those that had lost everything time and again. He faced the state who accused him of all sorts and yet stood up and he stood for the truth which he repeated for all to hear.

Liverpool supporters and their familes owe a huge debt of gratitude to this man who represented us all. In an era where the truth is transient and mutable, he didn't accept that and strove for honesty and justice.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #52 on: June 4, 2021, 09:42:23 am »
An amazing tribute to an amazing man - every word uttered a true one and every bit of recognition thoroughly deserved.

If not for Phil Scraton's effort and dedication, it is doubtful that the true tragedy of Hillsborough would ever have been fully revealed - the impact of his work will echo down the ages, and, I have no doubt, will reverbate down the corridors of justice.

It's incredible how the efforts of one person (whilst fully acknowledging and saluting the hard work of all the families and friends) can make a difference on a national and global scale.

Phil, you took the research to another level.

YNWA
JFT96

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 4, 2021, 09:54:20 am »
Fantastic post by Timbo and quite a tribute to Phil who deserves it.  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 4, 2021, 10:02:18 am »
Wonderful post Timbo.

Philip is a light at an end of storm. He’s a credit the human race. A true inspiration.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #55 on: June 4, 2021, 10:05:54 am »
Lovely words Timbo/Alan, and thanks Phil for your tireless efforts in trying to secure justice  & perhaps a little bit of solace for the families of the bereaved. For those of us who saw those images or, worse, who were actually at the game, what we saw is forever ingrained in our memories. I can’t imagine having to carry that every day for 32 years knowing that those who forever run our country tried to cover up their appalling crimes & blame the victims. Truly shameful. Fortunately there are good people, like Phil, who stood up & acted as an advocate for the people of Liverpool who wanted justice but perhaps didn’t know how to go about getting it. I’m sure Phil will acknowledge that there are many others like him, but he deserves all the tributes he is getting.

And yet the cover up of the establishment crimes continues, even an elected Labour PM scribbled a hasty note : “what’s the point?” when asked to pursue justice for the 96. Politicians, law enforcement, the courts & aspects of the media have worked to push away the blame & their crimes out of public consciousness. It’s taken many good people to keep the campaign alive.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 4, 2021, 10:08:04 am »
Some great posts here say it all, particularly the OP.

Another shout out to the outstanding work undertaken by Phil in the pursuit of justice, often in the face of opposition, ‘roadblocks’, etc.  Evidenced unbelievably even at this stage by the ‘lies’ perpetrated by the QC Goldberg last week.

Personally for family reasons I was unable to attend the game at Hillsborough but know for a fact there was a good chance I would’ve headed for Leppings Lane, as back in those days I preferred the terraces to seats.

JFT96

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 4, 2021, 10:09:50 am »
I have stayed out of many Hillsborough topics, as an OOT I have no personal connection to the tragedy although was a fan who remembers the day vividly.

However, when I first read Phil's The Truth book a few years later, the enormity of what actually happened blew me away and shocked and saddened me (to tears at many points). Since I read the book, I've done my best to educate people on what really happened when they've asked (and often when they've not).

Without the book and all of the other work Phil (and many others) has contributed through the years, I have been able to inform others on the actual events and fight back against anyone sticking to the lies that are still out there.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 10:55:59 am by Wullie160975 »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #58 on: June 4, 2021, 11:43:11 am »
Thank you once again Professor Scraton. You have touched so many people’s lives in so many ways. The good you have done and continue to do is a remarkable achievement. To have done it in the face of authority and power, has inspired a great number of people and brought comfort to many more
Thank you
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 4, 2021, 11:44:04 am »
Great post.

Phil is an extraordinary man and I hope he sees this thread and the appreciation we have for him.
YNWA.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 4, 2021, 01:13:41 pm »
I don't write much anymore. I kind of exhausted myself when talking of my own tribulations in life in 2018. Part of that final piece was paying tribute to folks who helped in small ways without knowing. One was Jim, the other was Phil.

RAWK truly has been the glue that binds. Many people I would never have known or gotten to know if hadn't been for this site. For nearly 10 years now, I've looked on at those whose endurance and sheer willingness to not let go when the lights wanted to be switched off has persevered. With the Anne Williams campaigns and petitions, with HIP, with the coroners inquests, with everything and everyone who's work goes unseen (you know who you are). We could have a thread for all of them but the constant in all of these things will always be Prof. Phil Scraton. For that, I'm eternally grateful and humbled whenever around you.

« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 02:00:11 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 4, 2021, 05:05:34 pm »
Selfless,  great intellect, patience and class -  a  book that every Liverpool fan should read despite it being a terrible painful and emotional experience  to do so  - a rite of passage - it must have been even harder to write - respect for that is hard to measure but will not be forgotten by myself or my family

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #62 on: June 4, 2021, 06:31:57 pm »
Nice one Timbo, great tribute to a great man.

What struck me most about Phil was how selflessly he helped me and many others willing to listen better understand the deeper facts surrounding Hillsborough. He readily shared information, transcripts, articles which I will always be grateful for.

Phil is the backbone of uncovering everything surrounding the events of that fateful day, the compelling way he gathered and presented facts was a constant thorn in the side of the establishment and ensured Hillsborough didn't fade away, no matter how hard the establishment tried to pull a lid over it.

Thank you Phil.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 06:34:28 pm by BCCC »
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #63 on: June 4, 2021, 06:47:02 pm »
Very well said.

And thanks indeed to a truly great man.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #64 on: June 4, 2021, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks for everything Phil.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 4, 2021, 08:15:49 pm »
Thanks for posting this and giving us the opportunity to express our gratitude to and admiration for Phil. His work has helped made sure that even though the legal system has closed ranks to protect the wrongdoers, history will remember them, as well as naming them and their crimes.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2021, 09:54:29 pm by fredfrop »

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #66 on: June 4, 2021, 09:48:29 pm »
I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

Timbo's words couldn't ring truer.

Phil, your dedication and pursuit, is an inspiration to people and places far beyond our city.

A person's legacy can be measured by the impact and reach it has on people they've often never met. Yours is assured.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #67 on: June 4, 2021, 10:35:04 pm »
Brilliant post and sentiment Timbo. What a man Phil is, amazing work which he never should have had to do
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #68 on: June 5, 2021, 12:58:58 am »
Timbo, your thread has prompted a lot of genuinely heartfelt replies, and deservedly so.

To me, life can, at the same time, feel so relentlessly long and difficult, but also incredibly fragile and short too. I also find that genuine people are quite rare, and when we come across them I feel it important to let them know how much we appreciate them. Your thread does just that, and highlights and shows appreciation for a remarkable human being. It helps others find the words they may have always felt, but just hadn't found the opportunity or place to say them.

I believe you are right in what you say. Hillsborough affected so many people, here in the city but also across the country and the wider world too. It changed people. It changed football, and its impact will ripple on through generations to come. You are also spot on when you suggest there is no single way to react to it or feel about it. Like with the grief process itself, we all react differently. We all deal with it in our own way. Some ways are adaptive and healthy, others maladaptive and destructive. I mean how many survivors, or loved ones of those lost, succumbed to depression, anxiety and turned to things like alcohol in order to cope with the enormity of what happened. The history books will always tell us that 96 people lost their lives because of what happened in Sheffield, but the truth is the toll is far bigger than that. It destroyed countless people, countless lives and continues to do so to this day. One way or another, those close to the disaster are still dealing with the aftermath now, and will do so for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, like I said, life is short, and we really need to show appreciation for those we love, those we care for, those we respect in life. They are rare and they are special. Your thread on Professor Scraton does just that for a quite remarkable man who stands for all the right things in life and has the courage of his convictions too. If only there were more like him, eh.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2021, 01:00:39 am by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #69 on: June 5, 2021, 01:59:56 am »
Someone who recognised the pain in others and the need for justice, and, as a consequence, has given more than he has taken.

A life worth noting
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 5, 2021, 08:15:51 am »
Great post OP.

Perhaps the most fulfilling life one can live is one in genuine service of others. When Phil Scraton takes a second to look back, he can rest assured he’s made an immeasurably positive impact in easing the scars for many involved on that day. One of the shining beacons of Liverpool. I wholeheartedly commend him - a better man than I’ll ever be.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #71 on: June 5, 2021, 10:44:40 am »
Great post Timbo and a fully deserved tribute.

Thank you Professor Scraton for the huge contribution you have made to the families, the club, to the city and to social justice.

Your tireless and selfless work was instrumental to the outcomes of the proceedings, but also galvansied and energised so many people to find the truth and ensure the wider world was aware of the events of that terrible day.

I have read your book, read much of your research, and watched the documentary that was based on your findings. I've listened to you talk so eloquently about what happened, about what went wrong, and why it must be put right. Your clear passion for justice in both the Hillsborough tragedy and your wider academic and advisory work is a noble pursuit of the very highest order, and something of which you should be immensely proud - as we all are of you. You left no stone unturned, left no-one in power unchallenged, and left no-one in any doubt that something very, very wrong had taken place within our government and our police service.

The attention to detail, the patience, the steadfast resilience in the face of so many barriers, and your relentless focus on evidence and facts in the face of mistruths from people in power is a truly breathtaking achievement. It must have felt like a David and Goliath battle at times, and many others might have lost faith against such a tide of corruption and lies. You epitomise our club anthem, and I hope you realise how much you are admired and appreciated throughout the city and across the world by not only Liverpool fans of all ages and backgrounds, but by people who know that truth and justice are one of the cornerstones of humanity.

Thank you for all your efforts, for your courage, and your solidarity. Most importantly for the families - thank you for never, ever giving up.

This planet is a much better place because of people like you.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2021, 10:48:23 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #72 on: June 5, 2021, 11:57:55 am »
That's a wonderful OP, Timbo, and as you highlight, long overdue.

I don't have too much to add on a personal level here beyond what has already been articulated by others far better than I ever could myself, other than to add my own heartfelt thank you to Prof. Phil Scraton.

For someone who lives beyond Merseyside it remains a constant battle and a huge source of frustration and anger, the feeling of swimming against the tide of lies never entirely subsiding, and this last week has only brought about a fresh chorus. It was fitting that it was once again the endless dedication to the truth of Prof. Scraton proving the shining light, as ever highlighting the chasmic flaws in the judicial system and the authorities in and around it, as it has been so, so often over the years.

I have nothing but absolute respect for a truly brilliant and humble man. We're extremely fortunate to have you by our side.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2021, 11:59:39 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #73 on: June 5, 2021, 01:15:57 pm »
Thank you Prof. Phil Scraton
There's not many things you can do in your lifetime which will extend beyond your years and matter to a lot of people. The work he has done in the search for justice will be remembered by many and has provided strength throughout.

I hope the words in this thread by all can convey the appreciation that is deserved. Thanks Timbo and all others too for their excellent posts
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: June 5, 2021, 02:18:55 pm »
I am truly staggered by the warmth and generosity of spirit conveyed in these posts. Thank you all for taking time to write and to Timbo for such a wonderful dedication.

With yesterday's announcement of the settlement in the action against the SYP and WMP the end of the legal road is here - for the first time in 32 years 3 months. Bereaved families, survivors, friends, truth-seekers and all who have contributed to the successful campaigns have changed many minds, but also they have laid the foundation for significant reforms, some of which already have benefited so many others seeking justice. There will always be naysayers and deniers who will spew their deceit and hatred but they are diminished by their lies in the face of truth - and they know it.

As I have stated already, nothing can diminish the Hillsborough campaigns, nor the 153 findings of the Panel and its exoneration of the fans, nor the inquest verdict after two years of scrutinised evidence that those who died were unlawfully killed, also delivering a comprehensive narrative stating that the deaths were due to multiple institutional failings, most notably the South Yorkshire Police. It was an honour to be a part of both processes with outcomes so detailed and comprehensive. Their findings stand for all time.

Of course there were those who personally were responsible: for the institutional negligence and complacency that preceded the disaster; whose acts or inaction on the day contributed to death and injury; and to the numerous investigators who failed in their investigations, not least the review and alteration of police and ambulance service statements. It will be part of the Hillsborough legacy that they never faced successful criminal prosecution. This must change not least legislating for a Duty of Candour.

The overwhelming legacy, however, is constituted by the campaigns, the comprehensive findings, the inquest verdicts and the changes in the Law that have occurred already and will follow. None of this, however, can assuage the suffering of those who died, those who were bereaved, those who survived and those who bore witness.

From myself, my partner Deena, our Paul and our Sean and their families, thank you ... We Never Walk Alone. x
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 5, 2021, 04:25:25 pm »
Brilliant work Phil and great summation post. Your efforts are appreciated by Liverpool supporters the world over.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 5, 2021, 09:38:40 pm »
Lovely response Phil, there's even an education for some people in those few paragraphs alone :) x

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 6, 2021, 12:13:00 am »
Sorry I missed this and posted after Phil has come back, unfortunately life got in the way but I really wanted to thank Phil for his work

We knew. They knew and they knew we knew. But getting from that to exposing the truth needed someone to do the work, to unearth minutiae, the forensic detail, for that we all owe Phil Scraton a great debt. We can never ever underestimate the courage and tenacity of the families and survivors who have dedicated so much energy to fighting but it's no exaggeration to say that without Phil's work we may always have known but never have been able to prove what happened that day. For that all I can say is thank you Phil, you made a difference in a way we all aspire to, not for ego but because you believed from the start what so many of us knew, we were being blamed when we were the victims of a terrible preventable tragedy.

I listened to your interview on The Anfield Wrap and the clarity and detail underpinning your work is always impressive but when it feels like those bastards have muddied the waters again repeating their lies it was calming and powerful. We all love football and Liverpool FC,  throughout our lives footballers and managers come and go but your contribution will always be so much more important than any of the glorious acts on a football field. Sometimes movements and courage aren't enough, we need individuals to play their roles and you stepped up and played a blinder. Having had the pleasure of your company on occasions the last thing you'd want is to be singled out, it's always about the families and survivors, We can't give out rewards but we can recognise when one of our own goes beyond what is expected and delivers what is far more important than any knighthood to us, the simple truth of what happened that day. A truth that we knew in all our hearts but may never have been uncovered without the help of your work, for that so many of us will always be grateful. We can never thank you enough.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 6, 2021, 07:49:22 pm »
Thanks Timbo and all the posters who have contributed to this thread. I (like SOS) and probably many others do not write on the threads around the 96. I wasn't there and I am not from Liverpool. But I could have been there. I've been in crushes at games, being carried along off my feet when I was a kid and it always stayed with me. There is (too) much emotion for me around both what happened on the day and all the connivance, distortion, lies and manipulation that follows to this day.
I am in awe of the people and the people behind the people who have carried this fight over the decades.
And thank you Prof. Phil Scraton. I listened again to your podcast recording with Gibbo. It's brilliant and it's horrible at the same time the story you detail. But it's so worth listening to.
Good luck to you and your family and, for what it's worth, know that it isn't only born and bred scousers you inspire.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #79 on: June 6, 2021, 08:47:02 pm »
A perfect tribute to an amazing, insightful knowledgeable fighter for The Truth.

Thanks Timbo for putting into words our gratitude for this great man.

Phil, your untiring efforts are inspirational and will leave a lasting legacy on any changes to the system that allowed the cover up for so long. Thank you so much.

YNWA.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.