Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3439888 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Mate who runs a pub told me he would lose more money opening with social distancing than he would staying closed. Sadly, I think this could be the case for most pubs.

Also true for a lot of small restaurants which need to fill 75% of their tables to be sustainable.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Have I missed something re: schools. Are they still going to be closing for the summer or is this a case of once they reopen the new school year starts?

Because if it is the former, why bother reopening them just a few weeks before they would typically be closing for the summer? With exams already cancelled, what need is there for pupils to go back for such a short period. And if it is a phased return then that short period will be even shorter for some.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Whizzed past the slide there confirming that daily test total is again short of the 100k figure. 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Mate who runs a pub told me he would lose more money opening with social distancing than he would staying closed. Sadly, I think this could be the case for most pubs.

Yeah, have heard similar. There would have to be supportive measures (financial) in place still if the Govt. wants them opened back up again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah friend of mine owns one of those fancy vegan cafes and she says its cheaper to stay shut.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
Have I missed something re: schools. Are they still going to be closing for the summer or is this a case of once they reopen the new school year starts?

Because if it is the former, why bother reopening them just a few weeks before they would typically be closing for the summer? With exams already cancelled, what need is there for pupils to go back for such a short period. And if it is a phased return then that short period will be even shorter for some.

I don't know if this is part of the government's thinking but one reason might be that it makes it easier for parents to return to work, as they won't have to worry about childcare.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1

There’s a whole host of issues...

The kids who will suffer most are disadvantaged kids.  So some might suggest getting them back for the summer hols to make up for it...

But.... these are a fucking nightmare, kids don’t turn up and are often dragged (sometimes literally) to attend.  The ones who will attend will have done diligent work and won’t really need it.

Then who staffs it?  Staff have their own kids to look after.  Where do they go?
Do they lose their holidays? Do you pay them to do it?

Now, I feel like I’m making excuses here, but  there’s issues that we need to be directed and coordinated at a higher level. Will we get that? I doubt it.

Anyway, I’m knackered.  I’ve worked like a bastard this last few weeks! It’s great to have the bank holiday.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
same probably applies for restaurants too

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Whizzed past the slide there confirming that daily test total is again short of the 100k figure. 

Apparently there was a problem at 'the lab' so must mean the one single lab that does all the tests in country had a hiccup.....yup, I'll buy that

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Teachers won't be in over the summer holidays, no chance.

I imagine the intention with kids going back for a few weeks is mainly to get them back into the school mindset, so they aren't going from March to Sept without attending at all and can (hopefully) jump back in as normal (ish) come Sept.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I imagine you can quite easily socially distance in a pub - limit the numbers in, limit the tables in use, etc. Even more so in a beer garden (ban the smokers, obv).

Gyms though you've got a lot of heavy breathing going on, you'd guess that the distance required to socially distance would be increased from your normal 2m.
easier to limit numbers for the gyms whilst not massively impacting their revenue (as when you are in a pub you only pay for your food/drinks whereas in a gym you pay regardless of if you go or not), plus people (in my gym at least) were using the cleaning supplies on equipment before and after use

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Pubs reopening in August sounds like the leak the Mirror reckons it's got of the full blueprint to be announced.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-drafts-5-step-21986668

Add salt cos there's a lot of 'could' to it even if it is an accurate take on part of what government will announce. Other side to it is how they'll then re-close things as numbers of cases start heading up again at some point.

Seems strange if schools (secondary) go back at the end of June as suggested there - most schools finish around 21st July so 3 weeks of school to go back to? My school finishes early July (independent) so no way would that make sense.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
What is the obsession with Garden centres having to open? I am guessing its to appease the old Tories?

The cafes in there will be closed as well.

They will be wiped out if they cannot sell their plants really soon. Garden centres are generally quite sprawling and could social distance better than most shops. It is easier to solve than the school bus or classrooms.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
easier to limit numbers for the gyms whilst not massively impacting their revenue (as when you are in a pub you only pay for your food/drinks whereas in a gym you pay regardless of if you go or not), plus people (in my gym at least) were using the cleaning supplies on equipment before and after use

The cleaning supplies are probably the least of the issues given sweat doesn't transfer a virus. Heavy breathing into the room will travel a fair distance.

I doubt gyms will get away with charging and then people having to wait absolutely ages to get in. It's bad enough when gyms were busy previously, limiting the numbers getting in by a huge amount now would see massive queues outside.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
The cleaning supplies are probably the least of the issues given sweat doesn't transfer a virus. Heavy breathing into the room will travel a fair distance.

I doubt gyms will get away with charging and then people having to wait absolutely ages to get in. It's bad enough when gyms were busy previously, limiting the numbers getting in by a huge amount now would see massive queues outside.

I imagine they will have to adopt pre booked sessions.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

The focus on Year 6 Primary is because they are changing schools. Giving them some opportunity for closure is good. Also the groups taking exams next year need all the time they can get.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan

I wont be going to the gym until vaccine - queing to get in to do exercise I could be doing mostly from home or outside and paying for it would be a big no.

The problem is that even when things reopen there'll be a good few weeks if not months of queing anywhere. Barbers are going to be insane. Reckon there'll be a line from the door to Manchester.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reasonable questions so far from journalists (testing and PPE) and Eustace struggling to respond.  Waffling really.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
There will be a second wave of the virus ..... so I’m really looking for policies that reflect that...  why can’t we be honest with people?

For there to be a second wave you actually need to see out the first wave. 626 deaths today suggests that we aren't getting close to seeing off the first wave.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan

Hardly anyone uses the gym I was going to, esp after about 8pm.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”

My missus goes to the local council gym 3 times a week for exercise groups. Most days she says the room they use is pretty packed. If the have to socially distance I would guess less than a third of the usual crowd would fit in
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Reporter  : why is this bad thing happening?

MP : just the way it is but don't forget this big number that we keep talking about. Do you want to come back on that?

Reporter : Yes I'd like to ask an unrelated question which I won't be about to challenge you on please

/repeat daily at 5pm
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Hardly anyone uses the gym I was going to, esp after about 8pm.

One of the lucky ones. Mine is always packed, even later on / early in the morning.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
I wont be going to the gym until vaccine - queing to get in to do exercise I could be doing mostly from home or outside and paying for it would be a big no.

The problem is that even when things reopen there'll be a good few weeks if not months of queing anywhere. Barbers are going to be insane. Reckon there'll be a line from the door to Manchester.

Yea most exercise can be done from home, but so can hair cutting.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Is this man actually describing what a McNasty's drive through is and how it works?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Reasonable questions so far from journalists (testing and PPE) and Eustace struggling to respond.  Waffling really.

Did you see him on Question Time? Him talking about the app was like someone’s grand dad explaining how to actually create an app.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan

But instead of challenging the waffle choosing to ask about McDonald's
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
But instead of challenging the waffle choosing to ask about McDonald's

Since they went to video they have had it really easy

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cant see pubs opening until a vaccine is found, some of them are that small you can't swing a cat, & the more money that c*nt that owns spoons loses is a good thing.
They'll be open before that, end of August beginning of September seems about right. That's if any pubs barring wetherspoons survive until then.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone who’s missed news today and just switched bbc news on will be forgiven for thinking there is no virus.  Headlines and subsequent reports by Nicholas Mitchell are all about V.E. day.  Not to diminish V.E. day of course, but you’d have thought BBC may have mentioned something about covid-19.  Like, how many died today for instance.  No, better to have Nicholas Mitchell bang on about Churchill and the Royal Family.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
Anyone who’s missed news today and just switched bbc news on will be forgiven for thinking there is no virus.  Headlines and subsequent reports by Nicholas Mitchell are all about V.E. day.  Not to diminish V.E. day of course, but you’d have thought BBC may have mentioned something about covid-19.  Like, how many died today for instance.  No, better to have Nicholas Mitchell bang on about Churchill and the Royal Family.

I'm no royalist and i am no patriot either - but don't you think having something else other than this fucking virus being shoved down our throats all day every day is a good thing?

Even most of the frigging adverts when watching TV bang on about it and then the stay home ads as well...

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”

You mean Nicholas “that bloody man” Witchell?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
But......but......but we're fighting a war......didn't you know......?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm no royalist and i am no patriot either - but don't you think having something else other than this fucking virus being shoved down our throats all day every day is a good thing?

Even most of the frigging adverts when watching TV bang on about it and then the stay home ads as well...

Not to the extent where it’s ignored altogether, even allowing for VE Day.  To be fair it was covered on news on other channels. It may have been covered on bbc eventually, I switched over.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan

We won then and we ll win now. First I survived the blitz, saw off Fritz, and now will send Covid packing.

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
This is annoying:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/08/what-kind-of-face-mask-will-best-protect-you-against-coronavirus-covid-19

Even the Guardian is still talking about masks to protect you from Covid-19. Unless you have a proper surgical-standard mask, it's not you the mask will protect, it's that you protect others from your exhaled droplets and aerosols because it acts as a barrier to the impetus of the exhaled/coughed/sneezed air. Try blowing on your hand with and without a mask and it's quite clear how effective a barrier it is. It's a pretty simple message, but it's being confused by not explaining the actual point of general use masks, scarves etc.

My daughter-in-law in Japan always wears a mask when she's got a cold, not because she might catch it from someone else.

Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
We won then and we ll win now. First I survived the blitz, saw off Fritz, and now will send Covid packing.

Never liked the term win when applied to wars. No one wins a war.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
This is annoying:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/08/what-kind-of-face-mask-will-best-protect-you-against-coronavirus-covid-19

Even the Guardian is still talking about masks to protect you from Covid-19. Unless you have a proper surgical-standard mask, it's not you the mask will protect, it's that you protect others from your exhaled droplets and aerosols because it acts as a barrier to the impetus of the exhaled/coughed/sneezed air. Try blowing on your hand with and without a mask and it's quite clear how effective a barrier it is. It's a pretty simple message, but it's being confused by not explaining the actual point of general use masks, scarves etc.

My daughter-in-law in Japan always wears a mask when she's got a cold, not because she might catch it from someone else.

I have a fancy snood so thats what I will be using.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
I am all for authoritarian rule but during a walk through the park there is a small basketball court and a PCSO told off a couple and their 4/5 year old for playing in there. Bit harsh.

New sig.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
No shortage of street parties going on around here as well, went for my walk and was having to weave all over the place at times to try to keep some sort of social distancing.

Came back to find an ambulance parked in the road, VE Day - COVID-19 edition.