Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3454467 times)

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Interesting look at factors related to Covid death, from a large UK study.

A HR>1 indicates risk, which is statitically significant if the bands don't cross the dotted red line.

Pre-print article here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

As expected, age, obesity, ethnicity and a whole range of medical conditions (though surprisingly not hypertension) are risks.

It seems to suggest that current smokers are protected, but beware. Interesting thread assessing that here:
https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1258607277357006849

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
I think we need to stop thinking of the WHO in first world terms.

The herbal response wasn't general advice but specific to Africa. Unfortunately there aren't the resources to pay for first world medicines. That means there is an over reliance on herbal medicines.

There was something popped up yesterday on reddit about treatment with nebulized Ibuprofen and possibly Salt, after we shouted about not taking it :D  but that should be dirt cheap if it works

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Thought the lady on Question Time nailed the first question. What is there to be proud of if you are British today with how shit we have been with this?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Interesting look at factors related to Covid death, from a large UK study.

A HR>1 indicates risk, which is statitically significant if the bands don't cross the dotted red line.

Pre-print article here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

As expected, age, obesity, ethnicity and a whole range of medical conditions (though surprisingly not hypertension) are risks.

It seems to suggest that current smokers are protected, but beware. Interesting thread assessing that here:
https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1258607277357006849

In layman’s terms?

I think what it means is this.....(folks please correct me if I’m wrong!)

This graph tries to identify these fact individually.  So they’ve tried to identify JUST the effect of smoking and JUST the effect of obesity.

Now, because of this, it ignores the fact that smokers ALSO  tend to be obese, tend to have heart disease, tend to have high blood pressure etc...
So by selecting people who only have the issue of smoking, you’re essentially just selecting the really healthy smokers...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not until June at the earliest.

Right, thanks.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
In layman’s terms?

I think what it means is this.....(folks please correct me if I’m wrong!)

This graph tries to identify these fact individually.  So they’ve tried to identify JUST the effect of smoking and JUST the effect of obesity.

Now, because of this, it ignores the fact that smokers ALSO  tend to be obese, tend to have heart disease, tend to have high blood pressure etc...
So by selecting people who only have the issue of smoking, you’re essentially just selecting the really healthy smokers...

All they are doing is identifying factors associated with people admitted to hospital with covid. They are not proving causality. Unfortunately like so much of what's been going around, people are mis interpreting what is being displayed.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan

I smoke. I'm within the normal healthy weight range for my height and age. My blood pressure has always been normal.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
Podcast with Prof Paul Heath whose St George's team in London are among one of 5 involved in the Phase I/II trials of the Oxford Uni vaccine candidate.

http://topmedtalk.libsyn.com/covid-19-bring-on-the-vaccine

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
UK starts to build second contact tracing app

https://www.ft.com/content/446df516-4ec5-4c06-b39f-dd89ea5f6f0b

Spoiler
The NHS has already begun building a second smartphone app to trace the spread of the coronavirus, after criticism of the first app it launched this week on the Isle of Wight.

The second NHS app will use technology provided by Google and Apple and is being developed “in parallel”, in case politicians decide to make a switch, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Matthew Gould, head of NHSX, the UK health service’s innovation arm, gave the go-ahead to the new project earlier this week.

The decision to build an alternative to the NHS’s original app, which gathers more data in a central database, came after pressure within the government over the technical and ethical issues of its initial approach.

One person involved said that talks with Apple and Google had intensified in the past few days, noting a sharp change of tack from last week to more “cordial and constructive” discussions “exploring how we might change course”.

The person said that, as testing had continued, the practicalities of making the first app work had become increasingly apparent. He noted a particular problem over its compatibility with the Apple iPhone, as well as broader worries about the implications for battery life. “These technical details end up being quite important,” he said.

Germany has already switched from its first app to using the smartphone makers’ standardised system. But France has been vocal in its opposition to how the Google-Apple standard limits countries’ options and access to data, and will launch its own system next week.

The UK’s efforts to create a second contact tracing app in parallel are more advanced than the feasibility study first disclosed through an NHS IT contract earlier this week. But no final decision has yet been made on which will be widely released.

Apple and Google have said that they expect to release the first version of their contact tracing system for public use, via a software update to the iOS and Android operating systems, in mid-May.

The NHS contact tracing system currently being tested stores anonymised data about people infected with Covid-19 and their contacts in a central database, which advocates have argued is vital for detecting patterns of infection.

By contrast, Google and Apple’s technology is largely decentralised and prevents gathering of additional data, such as location, that might be used to identify individuals.

Mr Gould still sees potential issues with Apple and Google’s approach, such as detecting fraudulent reports of infection, according to people familiar with his thinking.

But he has maintained that he is not wedded to the current app. “I want to provide some reassurance that just because we’ve started down one route doesn’t mean we’re locked into it,” he told MPs at a hearing of parliament’s joint committee on human rights on Monday.

That stance contrasts with Ian Levy, technical director at GCHQ’s National Cyber Security Centre, who has been the lead advocate of a centralised system, writing a 4,000-word blog post about it on Monday.

One person involved in the development of the app said NHSX was now feeling increasing pressure from parliament and privacy campaigners, despite Mr Levy’s assurances. A technical analysis of the app by Privacy International, published on Thursday, found that a loophole in app software could allow authorities access to detailed location data about users in future.

MPs on parliament’s human rights committee also said on Thursday that they had “significant concerns” about the app and called for new legislation guaranteeing data and human rights protections. Harriet Harman, the committee chair, said promises from ministers about privacy were not enough.

NHSX said: “We’ve been working with Apple and Google throughout the app’s development and it’s quite right and normal to continue to refine the app.”
[close]

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
The one that surprised me from the data analysis they did, was that they didn't find any correlation with high blood pressure and risk from COVID, which is not what we were hearing from the previous smaller studies.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How long before the government will allow people to car share again does everybody reckon?
Didn't know they had as there's loads of vehicles driving round with more than one person in here.

Works vans, pickups etc nearly all have 3 in the cab.

To add to this taxis are still operating here too.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2020, 11:20:56 am by reddebs »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
This endless comparison of VE Day with the current pandemic is weird.  They are not in anyway the same.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
This endless comparison of VE Day with the current pandemic is weird.  They are not in anyway the same.

That was something to be proud of a bit if you were British. Now being British is a badge of shite.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim

Nothing like a bit of jingoism to detract and distract a scared population! I shudder to think what the front pages were like in the UK today.....

I'm currently playing the German language version of Trans Europe Express as I work. I'd probably get lynched if I did that back in the UK!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Nothing like a bit of jingoism to detract and distract a scared population! I shudder to think what the front pages were like in the UK today.....

I'm currently playing the German language version of Trans Europe Express as I work. I'd probably get lynched if I did that back in the UK!

They were not kind to the government and the Torygraph took its anger out for expecting/hoping that the lockdown was to be eased.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

The Torygraph slammed dunked the Tories by having an article from Starmer on the front page

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
Bozo didn't look too good during the VE Day Silence at 11.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Bozo didn't look too good during the VE Day Silence at 11.

Hopefully he then fucks off from being PM if he cant do the job.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
That was something to be proud of a bit if you were British. Now being British is a badge of shite.

I thought we'd handled things badly over here in Ireland but you guys make us look like New Zealand.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
Hopefully he then fucks off from being PM if he cant do the job.
Looking at the state of him. Probably need to do a few lines of coke Sunday evening, then disappear for a few weeks.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sajid Javid just interviewed on sky, calls for end to current control measures basically.

We should “go as fast and as far as possible” in this regard to open up the economy.  Maybe Javid’s olive branch to Cummings et al.  Thankfully he resigned before this.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Sajid Javid just interviewed on sky, calls for end to current control measures basically.

We should “go as fast and as far as possible” in this regard to open up the economy.  Maybe Javid’s olive branch to Cummings et al.  Thankfully he resigned before this.

Almost looks like some are positioning themselves for future leadership ambitions, they lockdown is obviously unpopular with some of the more right wing Tories

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
Global view of government's handling of the crisis;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/complacent-uk-draws-global-criticism-for-covid-19-response-boris-johnson
Most of it correct too - what about this comment from the Greek daily 'Ethnos'.....describing Johnson as '....more dangerous than Coronavirus...' !

Not sure that's strictly true, but I get the sentiment.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Almost looks like some are positioning themselves for future leadership ambitions, they lockdown is obviously unpopular with some of the more right wing Tories

Yep pressure being brought to bear from the hedge fund backers to the party via its ‘1922’ arm.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97

FFS - what an idiot.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
I wouldn’t be worried with what Javid has said, he has always been one of the most opportunistic politicians going.

The guy was a mad Brexiter to appease himself to the grass roots but then switched to Remain when he and everyone felt Remain would win.

He is just sucking up to the Torygraph.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
I wouldn’t be worried with what Javid has said, he has always been one of the most opportunistic politicians going.

The guy was a mad Brexiter to appease himself to the grass roots but then switched to Remain when he and everyone felt Remain would win.

He is just sucking up to the Torygraph.
I don't - but, comments like that just feed the bandwagon for full-on 'open up'.......fucking madness.

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I've never understood why VE Day is seen here as a purely British event. I've always seen it as an international celebration of cooperation in defeating the forces of rabid nationalism, not a nationalist dick-waving exercise of British exceptionalism.

Just another example of how Brexit has subverted all sane considerations in this country.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
I've never understood why VE Day is seen here as a purely British event. I've always seen it as an international celebration of cooperation in defeating the forces of rabid nationalism, not a nationalist dick-waving exercise of British exceptionalism.

Just another example of how Brexit has subverted all sane considerations in this country.

Isnt it celebrated in many European countries? France celebrated it on Monday?

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Isnt it celebrated in many European countries? France celebrated it on Monday?

Yes, and indeed in Germany, but it's seen more as a celebration of thankfulness for international cooperation in the defeat of a rabidly nationalist enemy, not a hymn of self-praise by any one nation.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Yes, and indeed in Germany, but it's seen more as a celebration of thankfulness for international cooperation in the defeat of a rabidly nationalist enemy, not a hymn of self-praise by any one nation.

As someone who is quite anti British I dont actually mind countries celebrating their nationality like this. Its when they display arrogance and superiority that it bothers me.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Doug Ford, the leader of Canada's most populous province (Ontario) and the country's equivalent of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, has been telling people to not go to their cottages, despite continually hinting that he'd allow people to go to them around the mid-May Victoria Day weekend (the unofficial start of summer in Canada). But after talking with mayors in the region, he's now telling people not to go as the limited healthcare options in those areas couldn't handle it

Now it turns out the idiot has visited his during Easter  :butt

Despite calls for Ontario residents to stay at home amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, it turns out Premier Doug Ford visited his cottage.

Government sources confirmed to Global News that Ford went to his Muskoka cottage over the Easter long weekend despite making a plea for people to not travel out of major urban centres.

“Please, this long weekend, do not go to your cottage. We can’t stress that enough,” Ford told reporters during an April news conference.

[...]

Sources with knowledge of the trip said Ford had to “check on the plumbing” at his summer residence, which is currently under renovation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6919518/coronavirus-doug-ford-cottage/amp/?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Scotland update;

49 new deaths.

Total deaths to date: 1,811
Total recovered to date: 3,613

Numbers receiving ‘critical care’ have fallen, as have numbers in hospital.

Confirmed that as per ‘4 nations’ call yesterday it was agreed each of the ‘4 nations’ may diverge if data (science I assume) supports this.

Lockdown continues but may be some movement re ‘outdoor exercise’.  Details in this regard will be announced over the weekend.

Interesting the numbers of ‘recovered’.  This is one number which UK does not appear to report as per the ‘worldometer’ site.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52584690

“Garden centres set to open”

Well in Liverpool we have at least one Garden centre that has already opened. Couldn’t believe the queue of middle aged women in dreadful floral summer frocks lined up waiting to buy plants, when I passed it on my exercise today.

This is the problem when Johnson is telling us one thing and other are trying to pull back from his braggadocio.
People are just saying “fuck it - lockdown is over!”
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
Boris only does the ones where he can appear as Boris the beneficent, risen from the grave, To dispense good news like “you are all free to sunbathe”.

He swerves any questions if possible. Look at PMQ he was looking around for his public school bully chimps to screech support for his bullshit non answers and looked crestfallen when he realised he was on his own
Whereas Patel only does the ones where she can appear as Priti the Maleficent?  ;D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
“Garden centres set to open”

Well in Liverpool we have at least one Garden centre that has already opened. Couldn’t believe the queue of middle aged women in dreadful floral summer frocks lined up waiting to buy plants, when I passed it on my exercise today.

This is the problem when Johnson is telling us one thing and other are trying to pull back from his braggadocio.
People are just saying “fuck it - lockdown is over!”

I actually don't have an issue with things like garden centres / DIY stores, etc being open. However masks should be required and very strict social distancing in place - with these being strongly policed and stores shut down where they are being broken.

Same goes for parks, etc. No problem with these being open for local (i.e. not to drive there) people to go to and sit out, but police should have a presence there and anyone caught breaking social distancing issued an instant on the spot fine.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
What is the obsession with Garden centres having to open? I am guessing its to appease the old Tories?

The cafes in there will be closed as well.