Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 318757 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #4960 on: October 6, 2021, 08:03:09 pm »
Haven't we done a few of those throughout the years mate?  ???
players had values?? never seen one. Someone set a value next to every player in exsitence past and present and we chose from that pool?? who organised it?? Trends the only egghead that i think could handle the load

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4961 on: October 6, 2021, 08:05:06 pm »
Saint Kopite did one or two that were similar to that kind of draft, I'm sure of it. Think Betty might have a better idea on that though.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4962 on: October 6, 2021, 08:10:59 pm »
Saint Kopite did one or two that were similar to that kind of draft, I'm sure of it. Think Betty might have a better idea on that though.
Just went through saints posts. He done an auction draft back in 2014!!!

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4963 on: October 6, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »

There have been a few variations.

Saint ran a Blind Auction draft - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312485.0 

Prateek (wonder what happened to him) ran a moneyball draft, which I think is closest to what Lawnmo is suggesting - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315082.0

And Prof also ran this one - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=313456.msg12723854#msg12723854
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4964 on: October 6, 2021, 08:38:09 pm »
I'm having some ideas about other drafts I'd like to do that can be rather interesting but I'll finish the current one and then finalise the ideas for some days before I tell  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #4965 on: October 6, 2021, 09:13:48 pm »
Has there ever been any sort of multi club draft - where no team has been selected more than once throughout?

When picking players they could represent the club in which they made the most competitive appearances for…

e.g. if Steven Gerrard was selected first (Liverpool in this scenario and not some LA Galaxy workaround), somebody like Graeme Souness becomes ineligible, but Xabi Alonso would remain available as he represents Real Madrid…
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4966 on: October 6, 2021, 09:17:06 pm »
There have been a few variations.

Saint ran a Blind Auction draft - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312485.0 

Prateek (wonder what happened to him) ran a moneyball draft, which I think is closest to what Lawnmo is suggesting - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315082.0

And Prof also ran this one - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=313456.msg12723854#msg12723854

Prateek was online yesterday.  :D He and Ankit moved to West Coast of USA I think a few years back.  Said it would be difficult to do drafts due to timezones etc.  We should get them back.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4967 on: October 6, 2021, 10:05:00 pm »
As for Adz' question I don't know but I think having some kind of club/nationality limitation draft is a fun idea I've been thinking about. Like a global draft where you can only select one player per nation et cetera. Or a PL/Serie A/La Liga draft where you need to select players appearing for 11 different clubs.
Linudden.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4968 on: October 6, 2021, 10:05:53 pm »
Have you been appointed to the high table or something?  ???

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4969 on: October 6, 2021, 10:35:48 pm »
Have you been appointed to the high table or something?  ???

It's a conspiraceh!!!  :D
Linudden.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #4970 on: October 6, 2021, 11:05:19 pm »
;D

My idea may seem a bit extreme but if you crunch the numbers I reckon it would be doable - providing you didn’t have a ridiculously high amount of entrants!

If you did it all time, you could go through all the powerhouses of European football (plus teams from a previous era who were once successful but maybe no longer even in their own top flight? Winners of all the old European Cup competitions?), as well as legends from the likes of South America who predominantly played on their own continent and if you’re really struggling for ideas go with current stars who have maybe spent most of their years playing for a smaller club, youngsters who are the next big thing and due a move to a big club etc

It could be as much of a tactical battle as you want too - do you choose a certain player to block other legends at that club? Maybe you can think of a decent journeyman who played for a whole host of clubs and it just so happens they made the most appearances for a team in the Middle East at the end of their career?

or you could put as little effort in as possible - simply think of a player you like, one you remember seeing shine during a childhood World Cup or whatever and just Google their name to see which club they would represent and check whether that team has already been selected or not…

Just a thought anyway :wave

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #4971 on: October 7, 2021, 03:19:09 am »
players had values?? never seen one. Someone set a value next to every player in exsitence past and present and we chose from that pool?? who organised it?? Trends the only egghead that i think could handle the load

Well, I am a bit scrambled at the moment - taking a few courses/footy licenses on periodization and youth football certificate here in the States.

So, I am a poor option, to run an in-depth budget balanced draft.   Its a brilliant idea - all you need to do is break the player pools into tiers (using some numeric criteria (i.e. # of trophies) and their position on the pitch).  This is not difficult if you have a list of 176 of the very best players to ever play.  The only question will be how to value those players with better metrics but are clearly not as talented as a handful underneath them in the metric.

What you could do before the draft is do 4 separate polls (every manager votes for players ranked 1 to 50, 51 to 100, and 101 to 150 and 151-176).  You can get a consensus on ranking (throwing out the highest and lowest rank) and then apply an overall team budget and individual valuation for each player.

Not hard to do at all.  And if you get set points for valuations using the managers themselves, then teams cannot argue that some valuations are off.

Good luck lads - this is worth pursuing if you ask me.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4972 on: October 7, 2021, 04:57:12 am »
Prateek was online yesterday.  :D He and Ankit moved to West Coast of USA I think a few years back.  Said it would be difficult to do drafts due to timezones etc.  We should get them back.

Excuses excuses. I am in the same time zone and been drafting for close to a decade now. Nothing quite ruins your day like waking up at 5AM to see that all the players on your shortlist have already been picked and you are three picks behind.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4973 on: October 7, 2021, 10:03:43 pm »
I miss the old bastards that used to drafts with us. Good times, good nights.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4974 on: October 7, 2021, 10:49:37 pm »
I miss the old bastards that used to drafts with us. Good times, good nights.

Lethal/Popcorn is another missed one who pretends he can't draft because he's in another timezone now.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4975 on: October 7, 2021, 10:56:01 pm »
Aye, then there's Chakan who's stopped too. Saint is MIA, also likes of Flon or my good mate FresnoBee, the original draft yank.  Rosso got banned our resident manc drafter, Whispering Death aka Aldo Raine who used to to drafting tour of all clubs forums stopped coming here and Crixalis too. Many more but those are a few top of my head. The legend that is AWWYC is banned too.:(

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4976 on: October 7, 2021, 10:59:32 pm »
Aye, then there's Chakan who's stopped too. Saint is MIA, also likes of Flon or my good mate FresnoBee, the original draft yank.  Rosso got banned our resident manc drafter, Whispering Death aka Aldo Raine who used to to drafting tour of all clubs forums stopped coming here and Crixalis too. :(

Yeah, Rosso was a big loss. The only likeable manc on RAWK  ;D  Nicholls not been on in ages. Latenight Surfer the architect of Draft Towers also MIA.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4977 on: October 7, 2021, 11:01:28 pm »
Yeah, Nicholls was like the sane Mac Red.  ;D

Like I say always mate, Golden Age...until it wasn't. :(

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4978 on: October 7, 2021, 11:07:19 pm »
AWWYUC and Prof were/are my favourite drafters. It was always fun those two are involved, some mad picks were guaranteed.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4979 on: October 7, 2021, 11:08:19 pm »
At least Prof is still around and does the occasional draft, the mad man that he is.  ;D

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4980 on: October 7, 2021, 11:41:06 pm »
At least Prof is still around and does the occasional draft, the mad man that he is.  ;D

He is a talented fellow. The person on RAWK who I have the most respect for.

It was a legendary draft when he created a cricket simulator for the RAWK test cricket draft and then proceeded to simulate the whole draft.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4981 on: October 7, 2021, 11:48:08 pm »
AWWYUC and Prof were/are my favourite drafters. It was always fun those two are involved, some mad picks were guaranteed.

Indeed. Never a dull moment with those two.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4982 on: October 8, 2021, 12:58:15 pm »
How about this for a football draft? Everyone picks (or gets) a league and a season (eg. Ligue 1/1989-90) and chooses a team from there. Three players max per team and there has to be a 10-year difference between seasons in the same league. Players are only measured by how good they were at that point.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4983 on: October 8, 2021, 01:21:06 pm »
How about this for a football draft? Everyone picks (or gets) a league and a season (eg. Ligue 1/1989-90) and chooses a team from there. Three players max per team and there has to be a 10-year difference between seasons in the same league. Players are only measured by how good they were at that point.

Or everyone secretly submits a league and then snake draft with nobody any idea what everyone else is drafting  :P
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4984 on: October 8, 2021, 02:08:06 pm »
Yeah its definitely a good idea, bit of fine tuning and its a goer.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4985 on: October 8, 2021, 02:38:08 pm »
If you lot fancy another sheep draft, I'm down to run it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4986 on: October 8, 2021, 03:08:46 pm »
I like the Sheep Magnet's idea.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4987 on: October 8, 2021, 03:20:52 pm »
Yeah its definitely a good idea, bit of fine tuning and its a goer.

I think Adz's idea has a lot of potential as well. I would just tweak it to allow the top two number of appearances* for each player - i.e. Dalglish could be picked for Liverpool OR Celtic. That would help stretch the pool out enough to allow for a full 16 man draft. 176 players and clubs would then be needed, which I think is achieveable across all leagues, all time.

*minimum 50 games

Has there ever been any sort of multi club draft - where no team has been selected more than once throughout?

When picking players they could represent the club in which they made the most competitive appearances for…

e.g. if Steven Gerrard was selected first (Liverpool in this scenario and not some LA Galaxy workaround), somebody like Graeme Souness becomes ineligible, but Xabi Alonso would remain available as he represents Real Madrid…

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4988 on: October 8, 2021, 04:07:44 pm »
I think Adz's idea has a lot of potential as well. I would just tweak it to allow the top two number of appearances* for each player - i.e. Dalglish could be picked for Liverpool OR Celtic. That would help stretch the pool out enough to allow for a full 16 man draft. 176 players and clubs would then be needed, which I think is achieveable across all leagues, all time.

*minimum 50 games

Its an interesting one but I reckon after about three rounds it'd be fucking sparse.

If we got sixteen people even the usual first ten or so picks would wipe out a fuck tonne of clubs. Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Cruyff, Van Basten, Romario, Matthaus, Baggio, Beckenbauer and Gullit would see Barca, Real, United, Ajax, Milan, PSV, Inter, Juve, Bayern and Feyenoord wiped out so Maldini, Bergomi, Puyol, Neeskens, Laudrup, Zidane, Baresi, Rijkaard and Luis Figo ineligible, right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4989 on: October 8, 2021, 04:44:32 pm »
Its an interesting one but I reckon after about three rounds it'd be fucking sparse.

If we got sixteen people even the usual first ten or so picks would wipe out a fuck tonne of clubs. Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Cruyff, Van Basten, Romario, Matthaus, Baggio, Beckenbauer and Gullit would see Barca, Real, United, Ajax, Milan, PSV, Inter, Juve, Bayern and Feyenoord wiped out so Maldini, Bergomi, Puyol, Neeskens, Laudrup, Zidane, Baresi, Rijkaard and Luis Figo ineligible, right?

Indeed, lots of great would get knocked out in round 1, but that's part of the fun? Mixing shite with quality is what made the last LFC draft so interesting. We've done the GOAT drafts to death now, we need something else.

I've been doing a bit of research on it and I don't it's all that bad when you consider all the Brazilian clubs (Ronaldinho at Gremio, Romario at Vasco, Socrates at Corinthians etc), the players who played in America (David Villa is even available for New York FC), then you've got loads of British players who qualify for smaller clubs like Moore at West Ham, Neal at Northampton Town, Shilton at Leicester, Hughes at Wolves, Charles at Leeds etc., same in Italy (Scirea at Atalanta, Cabrini at Bologna, Baggio at Brescia). Plus all the 80/90s Eastern European players who played for a long time in their home leagues.

It will get tough toward the end, but it will be something different at least.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4990 on: October 8, 2021, 04:45:41 pm »
Oh I'd defo be up for it but some of the fair weather drafters might bottle it

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4991 on: October 8, 2021, 04:48:14 pm »
Oh I'd defo be up for it but some of the fair weather drafters might bottle it

Ha, fair.

*Waits for Samie to pooh pooh it.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #4992 on: October 8, 2021, 05:16:49 pm »
I’d obviously be up for it!

Fan of the tweak as well :)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4993 on: October 8, 2021, 05:51:41 pm »
Ha, fair.

*Waits for Samie to pooh pooh it.

I've done SaintKopite's and Prof's drafts, why the fuck would be shit scared of something like this?  ???

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4994 on: October 8, 2021, 06:19:43 pm »
I've done SaintKopite's and Prof's drafts, why the fuck would be shit scared of something like this?  ???

It was reverse psychology to get your blessing  :D

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #4995 on: October 8, 2021, 06:30:32 pm »
What about a "dot to dot" link draft.

The final aim of the draft is that your final formation of players link with each other through a club career. Ultimate team style for any Fifa players in here.

This means good planning is needed and skillful drafting.

The only rules are that your final formation has obvious links to the player next to them, this can be fairly flexible in terms of formation but try and be sporting.

AND you cannot link more than 2 clubs together (otherwise you could happily put together Liverpool '84 without anyone being able to break your "chain") .. a team can appear as many times as it allows however the chain must be constantly broken ... see example below with 4 former LFC players.

2 international Wildcards (basically get out of jail cards as I think this could get difficult)

An example of a draft team (obviously will be much harder than this due to the quality of players available as the draft progresses)

Pick 1
Messi

Pick 2 Suarez (Barca Link)

Pick 3 Sterling (liverpool)

Pick 4 David Silva (City)

STERLING <- SUAREZ <- MESSI
   \/
SILVA  CM CM

LB CB

As you can see this is setting up for a 4 3 3 in the "dot to dot" style of your final formation. Then you could move to a left back or centre mid that Silva played with at Valencia or Sociedad depending on your tactics. Here is where an international wildcard might come in handy so you could go to Jordi Alba or Xabi Alonso then work from there. Potentially Alba to Pique to Van Der Sar (United period) to Ferdinand to international get out of jail card Glen Johnson to Gerrard to Nigel de Jong (LA Galaxy) ... I've accidentally linked Silva and De Jong here by fluke

STERLING <- SUAREZ <- MESSI
   \/
SILVA        DE JONG    <     GERRARD
  \/                                               /\
ALBA > PIQUE FERDINAND JOHNSON
                    \/           /\
                         VDS

As I said the links can be flexible as long as they played plausibly next to a player. Eg picking a RB who played in the same team as a striker would bypass a winger or a midfield so not a very sporting pick. Flexibility here could be that you do this and chose a high wing back / wide midfield formation? Probably get away with this with a Cafu or Alves pick.

Might be fun. Might be chaos. Who knows ;D

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4996 on: October 8, 2021, 06:41:13 pm »

We did something like this with XI degrees of separation draft. That was a fun one. It does require some research though.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #4997 on: October 8, 2021, 06:41:14 pm »
Ive just realised I've broke my own rules with pique to vds to rio is 3 united links in a row. Shows how hard it can be!!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4998 on: October 8, 2021, 06:49:32 pm »
It was reverse psychology to get your blessing  :D
;D

Bastard!

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4999 on: October 8, 2021, 08:11:10 pm »
I'm definitely down for the one player per club draft  :wave

It's great if we can mix in some mediocre players/clubs in the draft system to encourage creativity on the part of all of us, so I'm all for it. In fact, someone starts the draft I'm signing up right away!
Linudden.