Author Topic: Islamism  (Read 196968 times)

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
Re: Islamism
« Reply #1120 on: August 9, 2014, 12:51:38 am »
If that was the case I dont think they will get the widespread support they seem to be getting. Specifically in the case of ISIS, in Iraq 2010, Iraqis voted for Iraqiya which won the maximum seats in the parliament which were backed by both Sunnis and Shias. Yet the US and Iran supported Nour al Maliki, who has completely alienated the sunni population in the north. Even before ISIS, Iraq was sending in the army to take control of places like Falluja, where sunni tribals were infact running a parallel state.

ISIS has only been able to advance so rapidly because of support of Sunnis in the North, who were frustrated with Shia government. If there was representative system to satisfy the sunnis, I dont think ISIS could have got into Iraq like they did. Its another matter that I think the borders in the middle east are completely fucked up.

The discrimination against the Sunnis in Iraq since 2010 has been a big trigger for all this. Sadly in that region religion seems to be the only strong leader these people have. The nutjobs at the top of the food chain know that the fastest way to recruit is through religious extremism.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: August 9, 2014, 01:01:40 am »
The discrimination against the Sunnis in Iraq since 2010 has been a big trigger for all this. Sadly in that region religion seems to be the only strong leader these people have. The nutjobs at the top of the food chain know that the fastest way to recruit is through religious extremism.

I just think you cannot suppress people for too long, they will start becoming more and more violent. Their needs to be a way for people to express themselves politically, whatever ideology they believe in. If there isnt there will always be a conflict. Regardless of ethinicity, colour, religion.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2014, 01:04:09 am by SadRed »

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #1122 on: August 9, 2014, 04:05:07 am »
I just think you cannot suppress people for too long, they will start becoming more and more violent. Their needs to be a way for people to express themselves politically, whatever ideology they believe in. If there isnt there will always be a conflict. Regardless of ethinicity, colour, religion.

Aren't the ranks of ISIS being swelled by jihadists from hotbeds of political suppression like, er, Cardiff?

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: August 9, 2014, 10:43:26 am »
Equality for all religions but a little bit more equality for some?
Not sure exactly what you mean, Corkboy

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: August 9, 2014, 10:48:51 am »
Aren't the ranks of ISIS being swelled by jihadists from hotbeds of political suppression like, er, Cardiff?

They were not the cause of ISIS, only a consequence. Lot of people crazy people will see ISIS as fighting a holy war for truth against oppression, especially in Syria. If there was no Assad in Syria and no one was dying, I doubt people of cardiff would be going there to start a so called Jihad. For me, the cause of formation of ISIS was the brutality and oppression in Syria, and not some crazed ideology being brewed in cardiff.

This is not too different from Americans going to Israel to fight against Hamas or Hezbollah, in what they would view as a war for truth vs evil.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2014, 10:52:25 am by SadRed »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1125 on: August 9, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
They were not the cause of ISIS, only a consequence. Lot of people crazy people will see ISIS as fighting a holy war for truth against oppression, especially in Syria. If there was no Assad in Syria and no one was dying, I doubt people of cardiff would be going there to start a so called Jihad. For me, the cause of formation of ISIS was the brutality and oppression in Syria, and not some crazed ideology being brewed in cardiff.

This is not too different from Americans going to Israel to fight against Hamas or Hezbollah, in what they would view as a war for truth vs evil.

There's one thing going to war and fighting another regime/army etc.  Quite another to butcher innocent civilians in the most barbaric manner across a number of countries.  Some of the images of what's happening are shocking.  Well they'd be shocking to most reasonable people.  It's simply killing for killing's sake.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: August 9, 2014, 11:49:30 am »
There's one thing going to war and fighting another regime/army etc.  Quite another to butcher innocent civilians in the most barbaric manner across a number of countries.  Some of the images of what's happening are shocking.  Well they'd be shocking to most reasonable people.  It's simply killing for killing's sake.

I am not saying its not shocking. Neither am I justifying it. I am looking at its cause and how I think they came about. The more people are brutalized, the more brutal they will become. ISIS is too brutal even for Al Qaeda, thats saying something. There is a process through which these movements are evolving, simply blaming everything on religion without considering the political realities and the condition of people in the region is absurd.

But I will add that fighting for an army that kills innocent civilians and children, and there is every evidence of it, cannot be considered any better. We have seen terrible images in Gaza where a father brought his dead son in a sack and the scale of destruction cannot be justified just because they are a more organized army. To most reasonable people both of this is distressing, atleast thats what I find.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: August 9, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
I am not saying its not shocking. Neither am I justifying it. I am looking at its cause and how I think they came about. The more people are brutalized, the more brutal they will become. ISIS is too brutal even for Al Qaeda, thats saying something. There is a process through which these movements are evolving, simply blaming everything on religion without considering the political realities and the condition of people in the region is absurd.
So what do you blame when young British Muslim men leave to fight a Jihad?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: August 9, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

But I will add that fighting for an army that kills innocent civilians and children, and there is every evidence of it, cannot be considered any better. We have seen terrible images in Gaza where a father brought his dead son in a sack and the scale of destruction cannot be justified just because they are a more organized army. To most reasonable people both of this is distressing, atleast thats what I find.

I'm not saying it's not although I fail to see how Gaza is related.  Are you suggesting this mass slaughter & ISIS movement is in retaliation to the Gaza situation?  That would be bizarre.  Palestinians in Gaza would probably shit themselves if ISIS steamed in there, and with good reason.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: August 9, 2014, 02:55:54 pm »
I'm not saying it's not although I fail to see how Gaza is related.  Are you suggesting this mass slaughter & ISIS movement is in retaliation to the Gaza situation?  That would be bizarre.  Palestinians in Gaza would probably shit themselves if ISIS steamed in there, and with good reason.

I have not said that anywhere - I am not sure you got what I meant.I said in the first post, people going to fight in diiferent countries are driven by the same motivation -  motivated to fight what they see as evil. These are the most extreme of people.

ISIS would terrorise everyone, wherever they went. BUt I think the spread of ISIS has more to do with local geolpolitical issues. There was a stream of jihadists who went Syria to fight Assad, and they have become more and more extreme. At the same time Iraq was failing and there was deep unrest in sunnis in northern Iraq who hated Nour al maliki. Hence ISIS advanced more rapidly.

I am not surprised US did not act then, because people in Easter Syria and Northern Iraq have valid greivances. It is a shame that the only people who turned out to be most powerful in fighting the oppressive regimes were Al Nusra and ISIS. If you bomb them, you would end up supporting Assad who is just as bad. US is only acting now because they are advancing on Irbil, and this is a clear red line. Kurds have not interfered or oppressed anyone there, and they are developing a stable state. An advance that way will really make things bad. As things stand, US and others will rightly defend and strengthe Kurds to hold territory, and Iran will ensure south is not breached. Once they are contained then the strategy will perhaps be to strengthen sunni tribes  who are currently supporting ISIS to turn around. There is no way 5000-10000 people can control an area that size without local support.

EDIT: Although I will add, with regards to Gaza, Israel will create an ISIS if they keep brutalizing people of Gaza. Support for Fatah has become support for Hamas, and now support for Hamas is becoming support for Islamic Jihad in Gaza (incidentally, Hamas is also unpopular for forcing IJ and other smaller groups to stop their rocket fire).
« Last Edit: August 9, 2014, 03:07:25 pm by SadRed »

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: August 9, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »
Just some good news - Kurdish Pashmerga have rescued thousands of Yazidis trapped in Sinjar.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #1131 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
Who are isis and where did they start off from ?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1132 on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:26 am »
"Convert or Die" is their message. It's not just rhetoric either. They mean it.

According to the Guardian there are now around 270,000 Yazidis, Shias and Christians on the road. These are people who, until two or three days ago, called Mosul and Nineveh their 'home'.

270,000 feeling across the Nineveh plains. That would be like two thirds of the population of Liverpool heading for the Lake District to escape butchery from religious fanatics.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/10/isis-iraq-communities-christians-yezidis-kurds?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-1%20Main%20trailblock:Editable%20trailblock%20-%20news:Position1:sublinks
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1133 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:52 am »
There may be a debate going on, but I am right in assuming noone is on ISIS's side in here, right?!

Barbaric backwards scum should be the only ones put to death. "Believe these fairytales or we'll kill you" makes about as much sense as some dickhead jumping off a castle on a brush trying to play Quidditch.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: August 10, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
"Convert or Die" is their message. It's not just rhetoric either. They mean it.

According to the Guardian there are now around 270,000 Yazidis, Shias and Christians on the road. These are people who, until two or three days ago, called Mosul and Nineveh their 'home'.

270,000 feeling across the Nineveh plains. That would be like two thirds of the population of Liverpool heading for the Lake District to escape butchery from religious fanatics.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/10/isis-iraq-communities-christians-yezidis-kurds?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-1%20Main%20trailblock:Editable%20trailblock%20-%20news:Position1:sublinks

Absolutely shocking.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: August 10, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »
.........They may throw up unpalatable results at the start, like Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, but as long the democratic process is followed, they will be forced to become more mainstream, e.g. Ennahda in Tunisia and AKP in Turkey............

AKP are doing the opposite. Turkey has long been secular and democratic, under Erdogan and AKP it's becoming less secular and less democratic.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: August 10, 2014, 05:46:00 pm »
AKP are doing the opposite. Turkey has long been secular and democratic, under Erdogan and AKP it's becoming less secular and less democratic.

Turkey has a history of democracy? Lets look at the history of military coups in Turkey - 1960, 1971, 1980, 1993, 1997.

Elections have been free and fair, and military in Turkey is the weakest it has ever been.  Civil government in Turkey is the strongest it has even been. Many countries have religious parties and others which are secular, and they will win or lose depending on what people want. That needs to be accepted with Islamist governments. If elections throws up a result we dont like, we want to discredit it. Like we tried to do in Iran, repeatedly undermining the electoral process, till a moderate leader was elected and now the west is happy with it.

This intervention needs to stop, let the process go on. If Erdogan oversteps his mark, people will throw him out. The commitment has got to be to the political process, not to the result. Otherwise it leads to west supporting military coups across the region to suit its foreign policy and geopolitical interests, causing more anger and frustration.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1137 on: August 10, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »

One example is India where the national government - started as an extreme right wing religion based party, but slowly become more mainstream and now enjoys widespread support. They realized it would be impossible to defend their views once the attention was on them. If they tried, they would put people off in the next elections, hence they were forced to make themselves more palatable. Ofcourse there will always remain a slant, but they cannot remain out of touch with reality else they will not have a chance of getting in power.

That's very debatable. At least in terms of the leader of the BJP, Modi is certainly more to the right then Vajpayee when it comes to religion and being Pro-Hindu.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1138 on: August 10, 2014, 07:08:59 pm »
Apparently this is true. And yet equal numbers insist on becoming writers and comedians.

(Oh, and running the world in secret and devious ways, of course)

Woody Allen for President.

Seriously two things you will never reach agreement are Religion and Politics and while i understand the need to help these people out , are we sleep walking back into a Iraqi Conflict?

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1139 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

Seriously two things you will never reach agreement are Religion and Politics and while i understand the need to help these people out , are we sleep walking back into a Iraqi Conflict?

I don't know mate.

But I do know that it doesn't matter if folks disagree on Politics and Religion. What's dangerous  - to return to the theme of the thread - is when some idiot tries to fuse the two.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1140 on: August 10, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »
I don't know mate.

But I do know that it doesn't matter if folks disagree on Politics and Religion. What's dangerous  - to return to the theme of the thread - is when some idiot tries to fuse the two.

That is so true !
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »
That's very debatable. At least in terms of the leader of the BJP, Modi is certainly more to the right then Vajpayee when it comes to religion and being Pro-Hindu.

He is - but he has more responsibility. He cannot be anti-muslim like he was before, some of his speeches after the Gujarat riots were shocking. He has clearly moved more center since he took office. He has been forced to focus on development, rather than Hindutva which he has completely avoided talking about. Because he knows that will put a lot of people off.

Despite this, if people want a pro-hindu government, they should have one. As long as constitutional safeguards are not breached. This has failed to happen in Islamic states, when such a thign happens, there is always a coup.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: August 10, 2014, 08:02:56 pm »
Turkey has a history of democracy? Lets look at the history of military coups in Turkey - 1960, 1971, 1980, 1993, 1997.

That may be, but compared to other countries in the region they have been the most democratic by far.

Elections have been free and fair, and military in Turkey is the weakest it has ever been.  Civil government in Turkey is the strongest it has even been. Many countries have religious parties and others which are secular, and they will win or lose depending on what people want. That needs to be accepted with Islamist governments. If elections throws up a result we dont like, we want to discredit it. Like we tried to do in Iran, repeatedly undermining the electoral process, till a moderate leader was elected and now the west is happy with it.

This intervention needs to stop, let the process go on. If Erdogan oversteps his mark, people will throw him out. The commitment has got to be to the political process, not to the result. Otherwise it leads to west supporting military coups across the region to suit its foreign policy and geopolitical interests, causing more anger and frustration.

You're building a straw man argument there. Nobody suggested we should intervene in Turkey. You tried to make the point that Islamist governments tend to become less hardline with time, and used AKP as an example. I suggest that the evidence shows AKP have done precisely the opposite. You say that the Turkish elections have been free and fair and perhaps they were up until now, but real questions must be asked about whether the upcoming ones will be, given Erdogan's crackdowns on protests and wide use of censorship.

Also why are you bringing up Iran's democracy? Are you really suggesting the biggest problems with Iran's political system is that the west criticises it?

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1143 on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:17 pm »
There may be a debate going on, but I am right in assuming noone is on ISIS's side in here, right?!

That type of question doesn't really require a response. We may believe in "fairytales", but it doesn't make us any less moral than you. In case you're still in doubt, just scroll back a couple of pages to gauge our response.

We're all in agreement that extremism (religious, political, etc) is not acceptable, and should not be acceptable, in any society. This thread specifically focuses on Islamic extremism within the Middle East (at least it should, but it tends to drift into discussions on the evils of Islam and religions or "here is another example of an unacceptable action by a Muslim person (or group); let's use it to tarnish the religion as a whole), and though we're not solely discussing ISIS (they're not the only extremist out there) they still fit within the umbrella. If we're all condeming the actions of extremist terroist groups (of which ISIS is one), then why are we "debating"? Well, if extremism is an outcome, we're differing on the "why" it evolved, and to a lesser degree, the "how" to resolve the crisis.

What I've been trying to present (right from my first post) is an argument that explains the occurrence of extremism and religious extremism (extremism under the banner of religion) as a result of several "perfect storms" within a short period of time that has aggravated the situation;
a)Decades peppered with wars against  Muslim countries (wars that might have been directed against dictators, or "terrorists" but resulted in the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians) also categorised as "external elements",

b)Oppressive rule within Muslim countries (preventing religious freedom, or the freedom to discuss various interpretations of the religion, and imposing a specific conservative interpretation of the religion) also categorised as "internal elements",

c)A large generation of youngsters (also known as a "youth bulge") that are fed up, disillusioned, fed constant diets of various forms of oppression, and are ruled by an older generation that is in constant fear of a rebellion,

d)Power vacuums within the Middle East (and previously Afghanistan) that has resulted in old grudges being revisited and enabled extremist elements to grow unopposed and without fear of retribution (i.e from the likes of Saddam),

e)A form of indoctrination of Islam (akin to the early spread of the Catholic faith) in a form of "the less you know, the more we can tell you" which various governments have used in order to further their power hold (and this isn't neccessarily from the conservative or ultraconservative side, the likes of Mubarak in Egypt tried to stifle the religious parties for his own gains). Over the course of a generation this indoctrination can result in a Muslim society that has a "basic" level of understanding of their religion, whereby "believers" are mostly following protocol as per their "culture" without distinguishing the difference between culture and religion.

All the above elements have to be in play to create what we're now seeing in the Middle East, and what we already saw in Afghanistan. It's why I place such an emphasis on the difference between interpreting Quranic verses and hadeeths, and misinterpreting them. It may seem like a trivial point to make a stand on, but it makes for a fundamental difference when we're discussing solutions for the current crisis.

Barbaric backwards scum should be the only ones put to death. "Believe these fairytales or we'll kill you" makes about as much sense as some dickhead jumping off a castle on a brush trying to play Quidditch.
I'm not saying terrorists shouldn't be punished for their actions, but you realise that they're on the other side of the fence saying the exact same thing about those opposing them. We can't answer extremism with another form of extremism, that only serves to fuel another potential terrorist group waiting in the wings.

That's an excellent post, and specifically the highlighted section. It's this form of impatience to see out a process (see Egypt!) that results in political parties going on extreme sides of a debate. A country will swing from an Islamic government, to a liberal monarchy, and right back to ultra conservatism (look at how Iran's political shifts over the past century have deeply impacted the way they "follow" and interpret their religion). I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure the average Muslim (from 1.6 billion!) is slap bang in the middle of a bell curve, as opposed to being liberal or conservative. But have a look at most Muslim countries and you'll see them either having conservative governments (limiting freedoms for different levels of interpretation, or various depths of following the religion e.g Saudi), or liberal governments (limited freedoms for conservative interpretations of their religion-e.g Bangladesh). Where are all the governments that allow you to live as a Muslim as per your choice of interpration or your desire to follow the religion deeply, and without facing subsequent governmental imposed punishments.

The more these political games are played within Muslim countries, the more likely the media (or Western governents in general) are going to make a stance and declare whom they consider are suitable candidates, and terrorist groups are going to make a stance and declare their suitable candidates, and the musical chairs start all over again.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: August 10, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »
That may be, but compared to other countries in the region they have been the most democratic by far.

You're building a straw man argument there. Nobody suggested we should intervene in Turkey. You tried to make the point that Islamist governments tend to become less hardline with time, and used AKP as an example. I suggest that the evidence shows AKP have done precisely the opposite. You say that the Turkish elections have been free and fair and perhaps they were up until now, but real questions must be asked about whether the upcoming ones will be, given Erdogan's crackdowns on protests and wide use of censorship.

Also why are you bringing up Iran's democracy? Are you really suggesting the biggest problems with Iran's political system is that the west criticises it?

Comparing with other countries is pointless, all of them are really bad. And I said mainstream, not hardline. That was with regards to Muslim Brotherhood. AKP is mainstream political party and there is no evidence of anything of any irregularity today. If anything at all, Erdogan is absolutely miles ahead of everyone else.

My main point is democracy needs to be strengthened and respected, no matter the outcome. Peoples desire needs to be respected, Islamist or not. Islamism needs to become mainstream politically, not castrated. That is the only solution to avoid violence.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: August 10, 2014, 09:31:06 pm »

I'm not saying terrorists shouldn't be punished for their actions, but you realise that they're on the other side of the fence saying the exact same thing about those opposing them. We can't answer extremism with another form of extremism, that only serves to fuel another potential terrorist group waiting in the wings.

I see what you're saying generally but I think the extent of the barbarity that this latest group IS or ISIS or whatever they're known as is particularly shocking.  Was reported today that they're now burying men, women and children alive.  Those more lucky can expect to have their head stuck on spikes by all accounts.  It is like some horror from the middle ages when people were hung, drawn and quartered.  What sort of a cause is that going to serve?  They're just evil bastards & they need to be wiped from the face of the earth pronto. 

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: August 10, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »
I see what you're saying generally but I think the extent of the barbarity that this latest group IS or ISIS or whatever they're known as is particularly shocking.  Was reported today that they're now burying men, women and children alive.  Those more lucky can expect to have their head stuck on spikes by all accounts.  It is like some horror from the middle ages when people were hung, drawn and quartered.  What sort of a cause is that going to serve?  They're just evil bastards & they need to be wiped from the face of the earth pronto.

They need to be stopped. And their type of twisted perverse ideology needs to be stopped and prevented from expanding. I'm just not sure sending down hails of bombs is going to stop them, or to be more accurate, I'm just not sure it's the most efficient way to stop them. It may stop them from advancing to a specific destination (and prevent a massacre) in this instance, but it won't prevent their ideology from expanding into other regions. ISIS are only one group of people. There's still a power vacuum in Iraq, and probably another group willing to take over their mantle and gain full control over Iraq.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: August 10, 2014, 11:09:24 pm »
They need to be stopped. And their type of twisted perverse ideology needs to be stopped and prevented from expanding. I'm just not sure sending down hails of bombs is going to stop them, or to be more accurate, I'm just not sure it's the most efficient way to stop them. It may stop them from advancing to a specific destination (and prevent a massacre) in this instance, but it won't prevent their ideology from expanding into other regions. ISIS are only one group of people. There's still a power vacuum in Iraq, and probably another group willing to take over their mantle and gain full control over Iraq.
Your wishy-washy non-solution isn't really a solution, is it?

They're just evil bastards & they need to be wiped from the face of the earth pronto. 
Now you're talking. The only way to look at IS is this:

Listen, and understand. [IS] is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.
The only solution is to defeat them militarily and execute their high command. I would hope the foot soldiers could be re-habilated but the kind of excesses they post on facebook and twitter leaves me doubtful.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: August 10, 2014, 11:11:11 pm »
Comparing with other countries is pointless, all of them are really bad. And I said mainstream, not hardline. That was with regards to Muslim Brotherhood. AKP is mainstream political party and there is no evidence of anything of any irregularity today. If anything at all, Erdogan is absolutely miles ahead of everyone else.

My main point is democracy needs to be strengthened and respected, no matter the outcome. Peoples desire needs to be respected, Islamist or not. Islamism needs to become mainstream politically, not castrated. That is the only solution to avoid violence.

I can see where you're coming from. The only way to end violence and conflict is to get people talking around a table, no matter how distasteful those people may be. It was the only way in Northern Ireland and it'll be the only way in Palestine.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Erdogan. Repressing legitimate protest and widespread censorship of the press count as irregularities in my book, even if he isn't actively rigging the polls. His politics, like those of Putin's in Russia, represent a large step away from liberal democracy.

EDIT:
...........And I said mainstream, not hardline........
Just reading again, that is a really interesting comment. By mainstream, do you mean that the same repressive policies will simply become more accepted around the world, or do you mean that these sorts of political organisations will become more liberal?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:14:18 pm by scared_person »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1149 on: August 10, 2014, 11:48:25 pm »
....The only solution is to defeat them militarily and execute their high command. I would hope the foot soldiers could be re-habilated but the kind of excesses they post on facebook and twitter leaves me doubtful.

Although it might be a desirable outcome, I think I'd feel very uncomfortable if that sort of thing ever became a formal policy as I think it would seriously demean our society and all of humanity.

I'm not trying to be wishy washy, ISIS are undoubtedly a complete set of callous murdering bastards, but I can't help but think if camera phones and facebook had been around when the Khmer Rouge were in charge in Cambodia, we'd probably have seen similar pictures of atrocities yet Cambodia as a nation seems to have reconciled its past, including the rehabilitation of many of the former Khmer Rouge characters involved in the massacres.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: August 10, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »
EDIT:Just reading again, that is a really interesting comment. By mainstream, do you mean that the same repressive policies will simply become more accepted around the world, or do you mean that these sorts of political organisations will become more liberal?

By mainstream I mean they will be forced to play by the rules. They will be answerable to the world media and they will need to respond to how the world sees them, hence evolving. Like Ahmedinejad, people realized his methods and hyperbole speeches were counter-productive to Iran's aims. The world began to see them as a pariah state, especially his ridiculous comments. He was voted out, and Rouhani has a much more measured approach.

Repressive is an interesting word - I am not sure what you mean here. If by repressive you mean socially more conservative (or more religious) then I think its going to swing both ways, depending on what people of the country wish. If it starts to become too repressive (i.e. socially conservative), I do not think they will retain a majority vote for long. It will depend on the social, religious and culutural fabric of the country. But this has to be right of the people to choose how they wish to organize their society as long as their is no violence and discrimination.

As long as people have the right to choose, we need to remain out of these issues. Its the basis of democracy. The problem is when there is over stepping the constitution or military coups. Like in Egypt - just putting thousands in jail or giving them death penalties will not solve the problem. They have tried to get rid of brotherhood for 50 years but they cant. They must be allowed to participate in mainstream political process.

Just like BNP are in the UK. People will find them out. If you ban BNP, they will only get more support. If you suppress them, people will only become more sympathetic. Democratic process must be open to all.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59:13 pm »
Your wishy-washy non-solution isn't really a solution, is it?
I've already highlighted the key issues that I feel help contribute towards feeding and nurturing a terrorist group such as ISIS (just the post before). It stands to reason that tackling the problem by focusing on the elements that seemingly help cause these sorts of outcome are more beneficial than a solution that only tackles the outcomes.

Now you're talking. The only way to look at IS is this:
The only solution is to defeat them militarily and execute their high command. I would hope the foot soldiers could be re-habilated but the kind of excesses they post on facebook and twitter leaves me doubtful.

I'm not solely looking at ISIS. This isn't just about ISIS. If it was, we'd simply have a thread titled ISIS. And if the only key problem we're facing in the Middle East, and within the Islamic community as a whole, is ISIS, than it probably would be as simple as you've made it seem, simply wipe ISIS out and prepare for a glorious period of wonderful peace, security, and stability. Lest we forget, it's this form of knee jerk retaliation that helped nurture another generation of terrorists when the West assumed that wiping out the Taliban from Afghanistan would solve the problem.

This isn't an episode of G.I. Joe.
A lot more thought needs to be put into understanding the cause, and providing a sustainable solution that doesn't simply start and end with "kill them all".

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1152 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:05 am »
Although it might be a desirable outcome, I think I'd feel very uncomfortable if that sort of thing ever became a formal policy as I think it would seriously demean our society and all of humanity.

I'm not trying to be wishy washy, ISIS are undoubtedly a complete set of callous murdering bastards, but I can't help but think if camera phones and facebook had been around when the Khmer Rouge were in charge in Cambodia, we'd probably have seen similar pictures of atrocities yet Cambodia as a nation seems to have reconciled its past, including the rehabilitation of many of the former Khmer Rouge characters involved in the massacres.

Your second paragraph is a real voice of reason and does go some way in explaining that there could be some sort of rehabilitation of these people. What is concerning is the divine aspect of their ideology as for a lot of them it started at home. In the region there are really blurred lines between what one would deem as extreme and conservative (maybe it is the same elsewhere), it is a power struggle now as some see the Arab world changing and want it to remain very conservative while others are taking advantage of this to further their Machiavellian aims.
I have a pretty grim view of what is going to happen in the region though, I believe that it is going to go through a huge period of change, UAE and Qatar have already passed accelerated decrees to instil military service and tensions are running high between each other. There will be bloodshed and war in the region but ultimately there is too much at stake in the region for the Islamists to prevail, the West won't let it happen. People moaning about the World Cup being held in Qatar in 2022, I am not sure the region will be stable enough by then to host such an event.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1153 on: August 11, 2014, 09:14:33 am »

I'm not solely looking at ISIS. This isn't just about ISIS. If it was, we'd simply have a thread titled ISIS. And if the only key problem we're facing in the Middle East, and within the Islamic community as a whole, is ISIS, than it probably would be as simple as you've made it seem, simply wipe ISIS out and prepare for a glorious period of wonderful peace, security, and stability. Lest we forget, it's this form of knee jerk retaliation that helped nurture another generation of terrorists when the West assumed that wiping out the Taliban from Afghanistan would solve the problem.

A lot more thought needs to be put into understanding the cause, and providing a sustainable solution that doesn't simply start and end with "kill them all".

While it all may not be about IS they are the group currently rampaging through the middle east and they are the current latest threat to civilian life out there.  And such is their barbarism it would be reasonable to assume there is no point in negotiating with such madness.  Or if there was their demands would probably be around letting them establish this mass militant Islamic state based on Sharia law & we'll think about stopping the slaughter.  Anything less and the slaughter continues.  This will never happen of course - as such a state becomes 'stable' such is their ideology that over the medium term they would automatically target the west and would become a threat.  Therefore any reasonable regime which is trying to stop this madness has no option but to seek a military solution and unfortunately this is probably the only solution which will end the current slaughter.

No it's not necessarily a long term solution and is obviously reactionary, but to do nothing and leave all the innocents out there to their fate would be dire.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
We're all in agreement that extremism (religious, political, etc) is not acceptable, and should not be acceptable, in any society. This thread specifically focuses on Islamic extremism within the Middle East (at least it should, but it tends to drift into discussions on the evils of Islam and religions or "here is another example of an unacceptable action by a Muslim person (or group); let's use it to tarnish the religion as a whole), and though we're not solely discussing ISIS (they're not the only extremist out there) they still fit within the umbrella. If we're all condeming the actions of extremist terroist groups (of which ISIS is one), then why are we "debating"? Well, if extremism is an outcome, we're differing on the "why" it evolved, and to a lesser degree, the "how" to resolve the crisis.

It's true that no one is defending violent jihadist politics in this thread (although clearly we have different explanations for where they come from). But it's wrong (and invidious) to say that this thread "tends to drift into discussions on the evils of Islam". It doesn't.

It obviously hosts people - like myself - who believe that the Koran is 'make-believe' and its message is 'contradictory' but that's a different thing altogether. Just about everyone who has criticised Islamism here is also tolerant. You don't mind living next door to a neighbour who worships a falling rock; I don't mind living next to one who worships a man in the sky. And why should we? It's none of our business what our neighbour gets up to in private.

What the thread is about is Islamism. At its most basic it's therefore about the absurd desire on the part of some Muslims to create a society (by violence or otherwise) based on a medieval text. I think we have unanimity on that idea as well.

Although perhaps not? 

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: August 11, 2014, 11:42:19 am »
It makes me uncomfortable too, Gulley, but IS very existence and methods have already demeaned and debased humanity.

When they smash those Mesopotamian statues they destroy our collective human history. They value nothing that pre-dates their book. If there was some sort of compromise that could be reached, I'd be all for it. But they want nothing less than a mono-ethnic, mono-cultural facsict state and are deliriously happy to martyr themselves to achieve it. If there was something there to reason with there might be a chance of a different course of action. But all IS need is their very narrow interpretation of their book. Reasoning is an alien concept to them.

Yet it still took 1.2 million dead and the Vietnamese Army to bring about their downfall. Psychotic as they were, the KR weren't intent on martyring themselves. I have my doubts whether the IS leadership would ever surrender. It's not their creed.

It isn't. It is the reality that some countries face when faced with an opponent that refuses to compromise, uses periods of peace to re-arm and re-recruit and never agrees to lay down their arms and find a more sensible way to settle differences.

Meanwhile, whilst you're thinking deeply about 'root causes' there are hundreds of people who are being butchered by IS right now, solely because they were born to the 'wrong' community. Tackling the immediate problem is long overdue. We could look to the Arab League but as some of the members are the ones funding IS we won't see any action from them.

What is it that causes young British men; born here, brought up here, to believe that joining IS is a desirable lifestyle choice? What makes British muslims feel so disenfranchised by British society? I just don't see the disconnect when I look at other British Asians, so what are the causes?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: August 11, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »
What the thread is about is Islamism. At its most basic it's therefore about the absurd desire on the part of some Muslims to create a society (by violence or otherwise) based on a medieval text. I think we have unanimity on that idea as well.

What's wrong with that? That's how the Zionist movement began which led to the eventual creation of Israel.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1157 on: August 11, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »
What's wrong with that? That's how the Zionist movement began which led to the eventual creation of Israel.

The Talmud is not medieval, it is older than that. Also the Zionist movement wanted a homeland for Jews where they could be free from persecution. They did not attempt to create a Jewish state. They created a secular state with a Jewish majority.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1158 on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »
This thread specifically focuses on Islamic extremism within the Middle East (at least it should, but it tends to drift into discussions on the evils of Islam and religions or "here is another example of an unacceptable action by a Muslim person (or group); let's use it to tarnish the religion as a whole)

This is claptrap. As someone who does introduce examples from Islam above and beyond the usual terrorist stuff, it is disingenuous of you to frame it like that. The way you see it, "an unacceptable action by a Muslim person or group" implies that the fact they are Muslim is an entirely accidental feature. The "unacceptable actions" are based in Islam, motivated by Islam and often mandated by Islam. They may not be mandated on a global basis, but the numbers involved are far too large for you to dismiss them as statistical outliers.

So if I point out something that is undesirable about Islam in one country or another, you dismiss it as me trying to tarnish the religion. If it helps you feel better about yourself and your religion, feel free. However, it might serve you better if you were to ask yourself why these "unacceptable actions" seem to emanate from your religion above all others at this point in time, and what that might say about the development of the religion.

Right now, ISIS are telling everyone that their mission is to convert everyone to Islam or kill them. They say this is Allah's command. If you think that has absolutely nothing to do with your religion, I'd love to hear why.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1159 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »

What is it that causes young British men; born here, brought up here, to believe that joining IS is a desirable lifestyle choice? What makes British muslims feel so disenfranchised by British society? I just don't see the disconnect when I look at other British Asians, so what are the causes?

As a British Asian (I am Sikh though and not Muslim) I would question the comparison between Muslim Asians and other Asians to provide any explaination. Other then skin colour, a Muslim Asian is as different to say a Sikh or Hindu culturally as they are to a European/Christian.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.