The Liverpool FC Forum > Former LFC Players

Fernando Torres

<< < (1519/1523) > >>

Ravishing Rick Rude:

--- Quote from: Yorkykopite on October 23, 2021, 11:59:22 am ---He was superb and at the height of his game. Pretty much all his service came through the middle - Gerrard in particular. Had Torres played in a team with full backs and wing men as talented as those cultivated by Klopp he would have been even more successful at Liverpool. But he didn't.

--- End quote ---

Benayoun also had a good partnership with Torres. They always looked dangerous.

stoa:

--- Quote from: Cu Chulainn on October 23, 2021, 02:58:58 pm ---That's me too. Couldn't stand him for a few years but by the time he played at Anfield in that charity game, I was over it.

--- End quote ---

I have to say, it was great to see that he had his name sung by the Kop one more time after leaving us those years back. I think it also meant a lot for him to get that kind of closure. I was never really mad at him for leaving. The club had bigger issues back then than a striker who was having a hard time finding his form and wanting to leave. I could also see why he wanted to leave, because G&H fucked the club and it was obvious that we were going nowhere with them in charge. I never got the hatred for Torres when Javier Mascherano got a lot less directed at him for going to Barca and refusing to play for us only half a year or so earlier.

So... Howard Phillips:
I assume he'll be over with their under 19s for the return fixture?

Dench57:
Broke my heart when he left, never idolised a player the way I did Torres and haven't since. Hardened me to the mercenary nature of football so that Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho didn't have the same impact. He felt so glamorous, so box-office, those flowing blonde locks tearing past defenders...can't help having a soft spot for him after all of it

Cu Chulainn:

--- Quote from: stoa on October 26, 2021, 12:44:13 pm ---I have to say, it was great to see that he had his name sung by the Kop one more time after leaving us those years back. I think it also meant a lot for him to get that kind of closure. I was never really mad at him for leaving. The club had bigger issues back then than a striker who was having a hard time finding his form and wanting to leave. I could also see why he wanted to leave, because G&H fucked the club and it was obvious that we were going nowhere with them in charge. I never got the hatred for Torres when Javier Mascherano got a lot less directed at him for going to Barca and refusing to play for us only half a year or so earlier.

--- End quote ---
I can only speak for myself, but personally it was because of where he went, with the hatred between Liverpool and Chelsea in the Rafa/Mourinho days being very fresh in the memory. Had he gone to, say, Arsenal, City, or abroad, I'd have had no problem. All ancient history now, as you say, great he had that healing moment with the fans, and I remember him as one of my favourite ever players.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version