Author Topic: Italia 90  (Read 13480 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Italia 90
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
Was clearing out my room last night and found my old Italia 90 sticker album. Just brought back so many memories. I can remember that World Cup like it was yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I was so much younger then that makes it stand out more than recent World Cups have (and I do remember thinking it wasn't as good as Mexico '86 or Spain '82), but when you do think about everything that happened in that tournament, it really wasn't half bad was it? From the opening match onwards, there was drama, skill, excitement and unpredictability, although in Scotland's case I'll admit that the latter did not apply! Memories include:

- Those two Cameroon defenders being sent off for successive attempts to sever Argentina's Claudio Caniggia in half during their opening day 1-0 win over the World Champs - the second guy just about managed it!

- The spectacular goals of the previously (and subsequently!) unknown Italian striker 'Toto' Schillaci, who scored in every round of his side's involvement in the tournament

- The emergence of Paul Gascoigne, who (sadly) played the best football of his career in that tournament and was arguably the best player in it

- Jack Charlton's Republic of Ireland reaching the quarter-finals courtesy of David O'Leary's penalty shoot-out decider

- 38 year-old striker Roger Milla(er)'s goals for Cameroon and those dodgy celebrations afterwards

- Carlos Valderrama's hair

- Our first look at the young Italian Roberto Baggio, who scored the goal of the tournament when he ran half the length of the field, beat three men and scored against the Czechs

- That fantastic West German team, led by the awesome midfield presence of Lothar Matthaus

- Perhaps a slightly less celebrated moment, but a beautiful goal by Yugoslav Dragan Stojkovic against Spain, whose first touch prior to slotting the ball home from a high, far post cross was possibly the best I've ever seen

- Frank Rijkaard spitting at Rudi Voller, then pretending it was the other way around

- David Platt's last minute volley against Belgium

- Maradona having his penalty saved in the quarter-final shootout........then redeeming himself a few days later in a similar situation against the hosts to silence the home crowd in Naples.

- Cameroon giving England the fright of their lives

- That England-Germany semi-final epic, with Waddle hitting the bar from the half-way line, Lineker's great equaliser and Gazza's tears. Then of couse, Pearce and Waddle's infamous penalties.......

- Jurgen Klinsmann's outrageous dive in the final to get one of the Argentinians sent off

Some of these were definitely more memorable than others of course, and this will obviously depend a lot upon your nationality. But regardless of what happened on the field at Italia '90, it was unquestionably 'Nessun Dorma' that was the true star of the World Cup that year. A simply unforgettable piece performed by a man with an equally unforgettable voice.

Great times!

p.s. mods can you move this please into the general sport section?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:31:36 pm by stmichael »

Offline Kenny Coat

• Anny Roader
Re: Italia 90
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
Anyone remember Totto Schilatchi (spelling?) the italian striker...looked like a madman every time he scored. Had a decent tournament if I'm not mistaken.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
13 years old and football mad, this tournament came at the perfect time for me. Cared a lot about England then, do far less now but that tournament was fantastic and Paul Gascoigne was a genius. An idiot genius, but a genius.

Such a shame that Lineker is such a cock these days, he was fantastic in Italia 90.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:08 pm »
Anyone remember Totto Schilatchi (spelling?) the italian striker...looked like a madman every time he scored. Had a decent tournament if I'm not mistaken.

That's fecker's face is forever engraved into the mind's eye of every Irishman who's ever followed football.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Kenny Coat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »
13 years old and football mad, this tournament came at the perfect time for me. Cared a lot about England then, do far less now but that tournament was fantastic and Paul Gascoigne was a genius. An idiot genius, but a genius.

Such a shame that Lineker is such a cock these days, he was fantastic in Italia 90.

That was the last tournament that I was actually arsed about England.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline Nigel1982

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:47:41 pm »
Probably should be in General Football and Sport section but anyway...

I remember Italia '90 very well and I loved it. Toto Schillachi was probably the highlight for me... I remember him scoring in every round and I thought that was amazing at the time. I also remember Roger Milla scoring and going straight to the flag to do his little dance. Brazil in that World Cup wasn't very good and their best player back then was Carecca. I could go on and on cause I have so many memories of that world cup (it was my first world cup really, had no recollection of Mexico '86).

It's weird how you remember specific things but I remember a BBC reporter going to Cameroon before the match and interviewed a Witch Doctor and he predicted a 2-1 victory for Cameroon. I remember I was worried cause it was 2-1 at one point until Lineker scored two penalties.

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:01 pm »
Some of these were definitely more memorable than others of course, and this will obviously depend a lot upon your nationality. But regardless of what happened on the field at Italia '90, it was unquestionably 'Nessun Dorma' that was the true star of the World Cup that year. A simply unforgettable piece performed by a man with an equally unforgettable voice.

uploaded this on to youtube a few weeks ago...
Nessun Dorma during the Last Night of the Kop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skgQBSiZG0
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »
Loved this tournament. Have all the goals on VHS :D

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »
got the world cup italia 90 game on sega megaDrive, now thats legendary!
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline JohnBarnesBigToe

• Legacy Fan
  • We decide when it's over
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:08:36 pm »
First World Cup I truly remember and is still the best for me.
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 02:14:45 pm »
Watching David O'Leary take his penalty through my fingers.......how the streets of Dublin, at least, were empty when we played.....sitting on the bonnet of a car as it went up O'Connell Street, waving my Tricolour......ah, happy days!
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
Best world cup ive ever seen by far

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
Costa Rica beating Scotland :D

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »
winning it

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »
It was for me the most enjoyable World Cup that i can remember watching, probably then followed in 1998.

The quality of the teams in '90 were fantastic, so many great players and fantastic teams on display from all continents.

And of course the epitomy of the atmosphere summed up perfectly in Nessun Dorma.

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
how argentina reached the final that year is beyond me. they were awful.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 02:51:43 pm »
We had a fookin ball as we got too the 1'4 finl loosing out to Italy in Rome, great times. to be honest Ireland at that time had an exceptional squad between 1986 - 1992.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 02:57:14 pm »
remember even then wanting cameroon to beat engerland, felt a bit bad but when i went work next day most other reds were the same.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 03:04:06 pm »
remember even then wanting cameroon to beat engerland, felt a bit bad but when i went work next day most other reds were the same.

I was only 9 at the time, but loved that WC.  Was the anti-england feeling as strong back then?
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »
I just remember the whole country going mental when O'Leary put that penalty away, and songs such as Give it a lash Jack and Put em under Pressure.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 03:30:38 pm »
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »
First World Cup I truly remember and is still the best for me.

Same here, I was 7 years old and loved every second of it

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 03:34:47 pm »
Same here, I was 7 years old and loved every second of it
Your username is confusing in that case!

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »
Best world cup ive ever seen by far
This.

Roberto Baggio's goal was the highlight for me.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:42 pm »
I was only 9 at the time, but loved that WC.  Was the anti-england feeling as strong back then?

Not sure but I do recall like others have said, loving that World cup and most things about it. Wanting England to do well and was probably a case of me not having no specific "hatred" towards certain players due to my age. As you grow up you seem to get a bit pissed off with more things about the game and those taking part in it.

Anyone collect those miniature Coca cola footballs with the Italia '90 emblem on them?

Offline hawkwing

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 03:40:15 pm »
buy the book all played out. 1 of the best football books of all time and very interesting reading how he saw the game going financially back then and sadly has been proved right.
"It's a great economic model. People are worried that I might take
money away from the Rangers to go to Liverpool. It's just the reverse.
Liverpool is going to pull off lots of extra money that if I choose I
can use for the Rangers or Stars."
Tom Hicks on Liverpool FC

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:10 pm »
was probably a case of me not having no specific "hatred" towards certain players due to my age.
That's exactly it, for me. I dare say if I was 13 next year I wouldn't have a clue that Ferdinand, Rooney, Lampard etc were such c*nts.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »
Always remember after they (england) got knocked out, there was a picture of a dad and lad a few days later in the Echo who went to the semi.
They caught the ball that Waddle hit for his penalty miss that sailed over the bar, over the running track, over the perimeter fence and into the stands. Unlucky Chris.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »
Always remember after they (england) got knocked out, there was a picture of a dad and lad a few days later in the Echo who went to the semi.
They caught the ball that Waddle hit for his penalty miss that sailed over the bar, over the running track, over the perimeter fence and into the stands. Unlucky Chris.

;D

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »
Anyone else who was fan of the US team back then? I thought they were the coolest players, one guy was a surfer, other played guitar in a band, loved them! (mind you, I was 8 or 9 back then) :P

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PT65I2ny8

Jaysus, route one all the way, but fuck it, it got us to the quarters. Was only 10 at the time but still remember it so clearly. Only wish i was slightly older to appreciate it that bit more.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »
Always remember Kevin Sheedy scoring against England, and I was the only fucker in the pub to jump in the air.. ;D

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »
I was only 4 so too young to remember it unfortunately.

Programme on ESPN (which will be on again I'm sure) at 11:35pm tonight called 'FIFA World Cup Official Film 1990'.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:54 pm »
I remember Italia '90 very well and I loved it. Toto Schillachi was probably the highlight for me... I remember him scoring in every round and I thought that was amazing at the time.

He was top-scorer in that tournament, right? Has he done anything of note afterwards? '90 was the first WC I really remember watching and I loved it. And I'll always remember it for Roger Milla and his dancing.

However, the best moment was in the qualifiers when Austria needed to beat East Germany and Toni Polster who was criticised heavily before that game scored a hattrick and went completely mental. I loved the celebrations afterwards when some commentator from the ORF (Austrian TV station) wanted to join the team in the dressing room, but were refused entry. The guy was begging the manager for about 4 minutes live on TV that they let him in just for a few seconds. It's a shame that youtube didn't exist back then and nobody seems to have uploaded it... :( ;D

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 04:10:58 pm »
Always remember Kevin Sheedy scoring against England, and I was the only fucker in the pub to jump in the air.. ;D

I had English cousins over that time, too, and I seem to remember we all cheered!

Awful football played by Ireland in that World Cup, the group games were torture. Great excitement, though.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »
Can't believe England qualified from their group with just 1 win and 2 draws.  Terrible group.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
Can't believe England qualified from their group with just 1 win and 2 draws.  Terrible group.

We qualified with 3 draws.  ;)

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 04:21:36 pm »
I was only 4 so too young to remember it unfortunately.

Programme on ESPN (which will be on again I'm sure) at 11:35pm tonight called 'FIFA World Cup Official Film 1990'.
I saw a bit of it the other night and Sky+ the rest for later, it seemed OK like, but if you can get your hands on it the BBC footage with Barry Davies narrating is the best.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »
I had English cousins over that time, too, and I seem to remember we all cheered!

Awful football played by Ireland in that World Cup, the group games were torture. Great excitement, though.
I think I even cheered the Free State goal that night :D

Sheeedddyyyyyyyy!!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 04:23:32 pm »
It was the first tournement i can remember i was five. I can recall vididly my Dad jumping around our setting room as David O'Leary slooted home that penalty against Romania and wondering what the hell was going on. During that tournement i bought my first peace of music the Italia 90 fever hit "Give it a Lash Jack. Good times.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/GxD0qAe2dUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/GxD0qAe2dUU</a>

Fucken awful song  ;D