Author Topic: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!  (Read 21344 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: FM10 SPL World Domination Simulation Draft - Discussion thread!
« Reply #480 on: December 7, 2019, 02:52:09 pm »
Yeah i figured it was lack of depth that was killing the European performances but I do think we will see an SPL team win CL at some point. We have already had an EL win. I think we should just let this carry on. If Dynamo Kyiv can do it, then so can Hamilton Academical.

We need to improve our coeficent a bit though, so we get more spots, so we have more chances to do better in european competitions.

I really lost my shit when Drogba scored four in two against Aberdeen in the semis and Celtic dropped 3-0 at home to go out against Getafe. The managers also make such daft XI picks sometimes that I'm losing my mind :lmao They need to be saved from themselves since I can't babysit 12 teams!

You're probably right that the top two from this season might win the CL next year because Drogba and the likes are getting so old that they can't do nothing no more, but the wait is so annoying and these first two seasons have seen so many unbelieveable gaffes. I'd find it a blast whoever of us won it, doesn't matter who.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 02:58:52 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #481 on: December 7, 2019, 02:56:04 pm »
When would we start? Won't be able to do anything until Monday

My idea would be each manager sends me five names. The lowest-ranked team has the priority. If two names are picked, I'll then ask whoever got second dibs on that one for a new name.

That way it can be done in an hour or two  ;D

I've put so much work into this and I really wanted Scotland to dominate Europe to not just make it a "grind out league titles" thing. The league is amazingly close and good fun to simulate but when all this shit happens in Europe it really makes me feel I've done fucked up to only allow 14 picks.

The winner in season two had 69 points which is amazing. That's just how I wanted the league to be like.
Linudden.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #482 on: December 7, 2019, 02:57:09 pm »
Are we starting from scratch or keeping our 14 and adding 5 more but starting again??

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #483 on: December 7, 2019, 03:00:23 pm »
Are we starting from scratch or keeping our 14 and adding 5 more but starting again??

We're keeping the 14 and adding 5 more if so with the lowest-ranked team (Hamilton) drafting first and presumably Aberdeen or Rangers drafting last through PM's. The direct goal is to rid top European clubs of 60 players that can provide a hazard in European competitions and also gives an opportunity to draft oldies in and not just think about the long game.

With this in mind, the previous drafting would matter because of the first two season's points being kept but the playing field would be further levelled given the worst teams would pick first.

If we were playing on another continent, 14 players would've worked just fine to win that continents' CL but now it doesn't work that way. The shortfalls of the first two seasons were really depressing. Also a bit unlucky that Aberdeen and Dundee United got drawn against one another but still the latter had previously lost 5-1 at PSG and they don't have much in the way of stars in that game so it's evident that the depth is abysmal because the clubs just get rid of all the semi-competent depth they had  :butt

My thoughts would be one goalkeeper has to be drafted and then four outfield players. GK injuries have killed whichever team got them.

In theory I could continue like this and run this out, but this is not much fun when they boys can have none (of the Big Ears).
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 03:09:23 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #484 on: December 7, 2019, 03:12:21 pm »
Down with whatever? What part do the managers play? Maybe we could include those as well so every team has a good manager. Could be everyone includes a list of managers in their preferred picking order and gets whoever b is available when it's their turn in the draft...

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #485 on: December 7, 2019, 03:24:35 pm »
Down with whatever? What part do the managers play? Maybe we could include those as well so every team has a good manager. Could be everyone includes a list of managers in their preferred picking order and gets whoever b is available when it's their turn in the draft...

Down with starting from 2009 with five new players and the current points intact.

The problem with a new manager is that we've drafted with our current system in mind. Perhaps a manager can be tied to the club in some complicated manner, but that's also difficult since the game is meant to fire underachievers.

So, I think we would need to do players only, but believe me, with 60 more players to provide depth or short-term excellence the other European clubs are fuckelifucked  ;D

At least within the league, the managers are quite even. Even the biggest star Walter Smith (Rangers) isn't immune to hickups as has been seen the first two seasons.
Linudden.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #486 on: December 7, 2019, 05:02:29 pm »
I’m not bothered, perhaps the other leagues should have a chance in Europe instead of us going all Abu Dhabi.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: December 7, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »
It's only two seasons in and most of us have drafted long term, I'm not too worried about not winning the big trophies yet
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #488 on: December 7, 2019, 05:11:07 pm »
I say keep on going as is. Its only a matter of time. We are not gonna sweep European football, but I can bet that  Scottish teams will win more CL+EL titles than any other nations league by this drafts end.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 05:53:16 pm by Max_powers »

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #489 on: December 7, 2019, 05:18:17 pm »
So, three votes against.

Hmm... that seems like a veto then.

;D
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #490 on: December 7, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
Might roll on with season three then?

CL:

Rangers
Aberdeen

EL:

St. Mirren
Celtic
Dundee Utd
Falkirk

Let's see whether Rangers or Aberdeen can behave themselves and bring the big ears home in season 3...

They'd better :champ

I think we'll get three CL spots next season btw!
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 05:25:16 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: December 7, 2019, 05:28:13 pm »
Might roll on with season three then?

CL:

Rangers
Aberdeen

EL:

St. Mirren
Celtic
Dundee Utd
Falkirk

Let's see whether Rangers or Aberdeen can behave themselves and bring the big ears home in season 3...

They'd better :champ

I think we'll get three CL spots next season btw!

If I don't win we're redoing the whole thing just FYI
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #492 on: December 7, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »
If I don't win we're redoing the whole thing just FYI

;D

Messi staying fit a whole season and I'm not worried at all about your prospects.
Linudden.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #493 on: December 7, 2019, 06:00:21 pm »
Competing with each other is the main point. I’m quite happy to see them failing in Europe whilst I’m not there hahaha.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #494 on: December 7, 2019, 08:36:20 pm »
Competing with each other is the main point. I’m quite happy to see them failing in Europe whilst I’m not there hahaha.

Falkirk just went out against Stabaek from the fucking Norwegian league in the qualifying phase this is embarassing  :butt

I really believe the change would've been the right one but what can I do.

At least the league will be seeded fourth next season but shortly some of our players will be running over the hill too. I start to feel this world domination escapade will end with 0 CL titles when I see such stupidity as the Falkirk manager with several world-class players and some SPL dumbos failing to knock Stabaek out and it'll feel so wasted then, only because we chose not to pick off the 30-somethings away into our squads as depths...

The worst part is I could literally fix this shit in one hour  ;D

Edit, now St. Mirren got drawn to Liverpool and also missed their groups after two tight games. Massive meeeeeh for us not adding more substitutes  ;) There's just one positivity with all summer and it is that Aberdeen knocked out Barcelona from the CL. Otherwise we've gone backwards...
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 09:06:58 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #495 on: December 7, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
Falkirk just went out against Stabaek from the fucking Norwegian league in the qualifying phase this is embarassing  :butt

I really believe the change would've been the right one but what can I do.

At least the league will be seeded fourth next season but shortly some of our players will be running over the hill too. I start to feel this world domination escapade will end with 0 CL titles when I see such stupidity as the Falkirk manager with several world-class players and some SPL dumbos failing to knock Stabaek out and it'll feel so wasted then, only because we chose not to pick off the 30-somethings away into our squads as depths...

The worst part is I could literally fix this shit in one hour  ;D

Edit, now St. Mirren got drawn to Liverpool and also missed their groups after two tight games. Massive meeeeeh for us not adding more substitutes  ;) There's just one positivity with all summer and it is that Aberdeen knocked out Barcelona from the CL. Otherwise we've gone backwards...

For whom?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #496 on: December 7, 2019, 09:48:53 pm »
For whom?

In the editor, giving us 60 new players of course  :hally
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #497 on: December 7, 2019, 10:50:24 pm »
Copied and pasted from the season thread, I'd like more people to read and consider this now that I've done research on how the game has tanked our respective depths from managerial decisions and why we're now sitting ducks unless we pick more players. We're still only at the end of August report so it's not too late to turn back on season three. I'll publish the October report after we've come to a proper decision on this. It'd be such a shame if such a detailed and sophisticated draft came tumbling down due to in-game managers having the power to make dumb decisions by AI.

I'm very glad about the praise of the first two seasons and also find it to be a cracking format, but I took this on with the understanding that we'd be able to dominate world football from Scotland and if we can't, my motivation to do these reports decline rapidly. They take many hours of my time after all and for that I want to see what we do live up to expectations, no matter if it's mine or someone else's team taking the honours  :wave When the clubs have had all their depth slashed by selling off anything in sight, it purely becomes like playing Yatzy what happens with the remaining 14 players and in fact not much about selection skill at all.

Ok if that is a big issue, I would open to redrafting more players. Maybe after this season? 14 is not big enough of a squad but I thought they would still have few decent-ish players leftover who can play odd cup games. Probably will have to discuss some issues around it though as certain teams were built to peak later, but if we re run the draft from say 2010-2015, those teams will never fully live to thier potential.

It's a tough call. I feel everyone have done a good job with the players they've picked but I've also found a lot of good players remaining in other clubs that then become stars going up against some nobody who hardly even was a regular even before these teams showed up.

I could go this season and then run six more like that with the points from this season included, but then again like you said it's difficult because some teams will peak later than others.

The problem then is twofold:

a) The European clubs will sweep up all the talent coming up and be back to near their best in five years time.
b) Many of our drafted players will be 35 or older at that time and be spent forces, even those we picked who weren't in their 30's yet.
c) The depth we did have is being eroded season-by-season by managers selling what we had when we began.

Therefore, with our current setup I believe it's curtains for all of us in Europe either way after season five and then that's definitely very disappointing. Already now Lampard is 33 and he's been the lifeblood of St. Mirren for two seasons.

Looking at Aberdeen, which is a team I know rather well because I played quite a bit with them, they sold three players guaranteed in the XI already in the summer of 2009, their previous captain departed the summer after and then the vice-captain and talisman at the back didn't get a new contract in 2011. There have hardly been any replacements signed. I didn't calculate that those problems could show up and it's been a major disappointment to me.

One alternative would be to just do the seven seasons all over, just hand out 12-1 bonus points to teams and just push through with it now that I know how the game works in that regard.

It's been a very useful experiment but when managers sink our chances by deliberately dumping the depth elsewhere, there's only so much us as drafters can do with 14 men I'm afraid :(

« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 11:03:58 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #498 on: December 7, 2019, 11:02:42 pm »
I already have a few people's would-be picks for the extra five players and it'd go in a right hurry since we'd all select them in one post and the worst team began. Or we just do a five-round snake draft starting tomorrow, start from scratch and I declare JSteve the winner on my walkover on this initial draft. If we continue for five more seasons, I'll probably just simulate and report the final results of the season to make it brief because it feels so pointless now that I've discovered no team bar the Old Firm have got any depth left.

At least everyone now knows the workload I'm prepared to put in if I'm happy  ;D
« Last Edit: December 7, 2019, 11:05:44 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: December 7, 2019, 11:41:46 pm »
I'll change my vote in favour then, if you're not enjoying it I'm happy to make it more fun for.you.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #500 on: December 8, 2019, 12:10:26 am »
I'll change my vote in favour then, if you're not enjoying it I'm happy to make it more fun for.you.

I doubt there's a good solution really, but I think it might be best if I run this out with shorter reports but that people can still follow.

I probably set myself an unrealistically high bar from the beginning anyway, it took like seven hours of out my day at times :lmao

Still, I've updated the scores and stuff so you can check out your team's progress. It's definitely a tight season right now between many teams!

I'd love to do another FM draft at some point, it's a lot of fun, but maybe four-five seasons would be better to get the truly best players drafted and also make people's interaction about it last for the whole duration too. Living and learning.

I hope no-one thinks I've done fucked up if the reports become shorter. I'm still really curious regarding who wins the whole thing. My guess would be JSteve.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2019, 12:16:39 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #501 on: December 8, 2019, 07:24:06 am »
If were picking can we have a list of the top available players. It's tough to work out a combination of the potential of player on fm10. What year into development they are. Who's been picked already. Whos potentially had a career defining injury. Some wonderkids could have moved early, never played and lost a lot of potential.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #502 on: December 8, 2019, 08:45:44 am »
Just power through this, with minimal reports, then do another draft (full squads and possibly with a manager). IMHO.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #503 on: December 8, 2019, 09:25:22 am »
Yeah happy with that

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #504 on: December 8, 2019, 11:47:39 am »
Just power through this, with minimal reports, then do another draft (full squads and possibly with a manager). IMHO.

The rules of the game are that four players in Europe have to be trained at the club and four in the nation, so I set 19 in mind with that. Players below 19 years of age do get trained at the club, hence why it can be a bit more than 17, but for one cover at each position managers would have to leave out some of the picks from European football.

If it's from scratch and say 20 players to be selected, I would like us to go with a full snake draft in a different league though. Perhaps some really shitty league like Ireland or Northern Ireland, maybe go for Switzerland or perhaps even my home country Sweden  ;D Since you guys bar Stoa all have English as mother tongues you might prefer being on the island of Eire, but I could be wrong!

To speed up picking 20, my vision would be a snake draft for the first XI one player at a time, then one round following that of picking a backup goalkeeper and then a snake draft where we pick four subs at once in two rounds!

Re-running Scotland after seven seasons would be a bit lukewarm for me and probably for many drafters  ;)
« Last Edit: December 8, 2019, 12:15:13 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #505 on: December 8, 2019, 01:04:33 pm »
To speed up picking 20, my vision would be a snake draft for the first XI one player at a time, then one round following that of picking a backup goalkeeper and then a snake draft where we pick four subs at once in two rounds!

Re-running Scotland after seven seasons would be a bit lukewarm for me and probably for many drafters  ;)

Up for a new draft once this one ends. We can go about with 22 players so as to have a full set of players as reserves as we have found out keepers also get injured in this game.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #506 on: December 8, 2019, 02:36:50 pm »
Up for a new draft once this one ends. We can go about with 22 players so as to have a full set of players as reserves as we have found out keepers also get injured in this game.

One solution to this HG thing would be to for example be in Sweden and then require the picking of three or four players from that nation among the 11 wildcard picks. For example:

Snake draft an XI (free choice, can also pick a Swede if you want)

Snake draft three rounds of only Swedish players (I'll provide links to Sweden NT squads senior and U21 at the time)

Snake draft four players at a bounce for two rounds to get to 22  :P

If we pick 22 players not trained in the nation, the lack of depth will still stick out in Europe, although not like in out current draft. It still leaves 19 players from all around the world and each and every one of those Swedish NT players selected will be better than the depth players in the SPL.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2019, 02:42:35 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: January 14, 2020, 07:32:25 am »
If you are having trouble with your players being sold set every club to have a transfer ban for 100 years. You can transfer/register players to any club (yours) using the editor. Another option is use versus mode on later versions of the game. Custom squads, one season at a time.

I offered in the past to do something like this on fm18 i believe it was with the highlights going on youtube for people to watch their weekly games like match of the day but their where no real takers
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:38:21 am by WillG.LFC »