Author Topic: Lego  (Read 51176 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lego
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2017, 08:58:07 pm »
The website is great for that, I got loads that were missing when I built a technic crane and had stuff recently that the kids lost from new sets

Trying to get bits for my old 8880 kit, but I honestly don't think they do some of the pieces anymore.  :o
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tulj5XmxunE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tulj5XmxunE</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:39 pm »
Trying to get bits for my old 8880 kit, but I honestly don't think they do some of the pieces anymore.  :o

You can try here. I haven;t used the site myself, but my brother-in-law used it to get an entire retired kit from various sellers.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »
You can try here. I haven;t used the site myself, but my brother-in-law used it to get an entire retired kit from various sellers.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

Cheers.  I'll look into it. :)

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »
Always imagined you a bit taller buddy ;D :wave

Taller? He's as tall as the Saturn V Rocket!  :P ;D

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #165 on: July 1, 2017, 11:15:57 pm »
I had a meccano set when i was a wee boy and loved it. ;D
« Last Edit: July 1, 2017, 11:28:14 pm by iAnfieldRoad »
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2017, 07:11:01 pm »
This gained about 2,500 votes in the last week, can't see it not getting approved and made.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »
This gained about 2,500 votes in the last week, can't see it not getting approved and made.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4

My lad wanted to email lego and ask them to make this, he's going to be made up.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:35 pm »
My lad wanted to email lego and ask them to make this, he's going to be made up.
Make sure you vote for it so we can get it going :P

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2017, 07:32:56 pm »
What a cool idea. Hate to be a dampener, but they wont go for it even if it gets nominated. While a neat set, its in essence just a fancy stand for already the biggest IDEAS set yet, which means it has 0 appeal to anyone who didnt already buy the Saturn V set, so they'll choose something that will appeal to a wider range of customers. They have been trying to encourage more unique ideas recently, with things like stopping already licenced sets being nominated.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2017, 09:06:20 pm »
What a cool idea. Hate to be a dampener, but they wont go for it even if it gets nominated. While a neat set, its in essence just a fancy stand for already the biggest IDEAS set yet, which means it has 0 appeal to anyone who didnt already buy the Saturn V set, so they'll choose something that will appeal to a wider range of customers. They have been trying to encourage more unique ideas recently, with things like stopping already licenced sets being nominated.

I would say that a hell of a lot of those who bought the Saturn V would also buy the tower, so there is a market for it. I voted anyway.

If they don't make it, we'll build one from scratch ourselves. Most of the parts look like current lego anyway - in fact I think thats what we will do.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2017, 09:33:16 pm »
Dear Mr Lego Man

Design a fucking decent Chrysler building set. At least 3,000 pieces, charge £250 and ill buy it. Just get the top of the building right, not spot on because it's difficult, but have an attempt!

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:50 pm »
I would say that a hell of a lot of those who bought the Saturn V would also buy the tower, so there is a market for it. I voted anyway.

If they don't make it, we'll build one from scratch ourselves. Most of the parts look like current lego anyway - in fact I think thats what we will do.

Maybe they'll post instructions on how to build it from current parts, so we can buy the bits ourselves.:)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
Maybe they'll post instructions on how to build it from current parts, so we can buy the bits ourselves.:)
There are so many pictures, and it's such an open design, you could probably work it out without instructions.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2017, 10:13:03 pm »
There are so many pictures, and it's such an open design, you could probably work it out without instructions.

Thats my thinking, between me and my lad we can work all that out and get the bits ordered.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2017, 10:14:30 pm »
Thats my thinking, between me and my lad we can work all that out and get the bits ordered.
Yeah, looking at it, there are no mystery parts, they all seem quite standard.

I may do it myself. If I can find the Saturn V first  :butt

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2017, 07:11:59 am »
Yeah, looking at it, there are no mystery parts, they all seem quite standard.

I may do it myself. If I can find the Saturn V first  :butt

I'm not surprised its been so popular, it looks fantastic when built - bloody big though, its 3 ft tall. Adams' is on the window ledge in the front room. We just kept checking websites and managed to get it from John Lewis.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2017, 08:13:17 am »

Oh I'm not saying no one would buy it, just that the market consists solely of people who already own the Saturn V, rather than something like the last IDEAS set, the Beatles Yellow Submarine, or the next set which is a little Fishing Shop set, which can appeal to many more people.

Often the guys that make these things will post up the file that details exactly what parts and techniques are needed so yeah keep your eyes posted.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:32 am »
Oh I'm not saying no one would buy it, just that the market consists solely of people who already own the Saturn V, rather than something like the last IDEAS set, the Beatles Yellow Submarine, or the next set which is a little Fishing Shop set, which can appeal to many more people.

Often the guys that make these things will post up the file that details exactly what parts and techniques are needed so yeah keep your eyes posted.

Apologies, bit slow on the uptake last night, long day and all that. Yes, like you say, limited market as no-one will want the tower on its own. Lego will have considered the tower when they were designing the Saturn V anyway, the ideas thing might be all they needed to confirm there was enough interest and to get them produce it as an addition to the set.

Trying to get my lad to come up with an idea that's appealing, he really wants to submit something to Lego

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2017, 11:34:49 pm »
Have to say, I don't stand a snowball in hell's chance of figuring out that launch stand solely from those pictures.  I struggle a lot with that kind of stuff these days.

Still, from all accounts I'm very relieved I got my SV when I did.  I only got the missing parts by post yesterday and I likely wont have a chance to resume construction until the weekend.

In the meantime, if you follow Amy Shira Teitel on Vintage Space, she's been doing archived live streams of her SV build on youtube and they're well worth watching. :)

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2017, 07:25:21 am »
Have to say, I don't stand a snowball in hell's chance of figuring out that launch stand solely from those pictures.  I struggle a lot with that kind of stuff these days.

Still, from all accounts I'm very relieved I got my SV when I did.  I only got the missing parts by post yesterday and I likely wont have a chance to resume construction until the weekend.

In the meantime, if you follow Amy Shira Teitel on Vintage Space, she's been doing archived live streams of her SV build on youtube and they're well worth watching. :)

Once my lad works it out I'll let you know what you need  :)

So glad we managed to find one the day before his birthday, I'd have been gutted if we couldn't get him the set.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 3, 2017, 02:49:55 am »
The tower now has 7,200 supporters, so it will get there, and will get made.

There's also a Space Shuttle made to the same scale and it already has over 5,000 supporters. That will get made as well.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 3, 2017, 09:59:42 am »
They only get made if LEGO chooses them from the selection of 8-10 sets that reach that 10k number and are up for discussion, just getting 10,000 supporters doesnt mean they will definitely get made.

Theres actually a group up for selection right now, and the winner will probably be announced today if you want to take a look at them https://brickset.com/article/29685/lego-ideas-results-expected-later-today

My pick would be the ship in a bottle design, I think its really unique and interesting, but if I had to guess what they'll go with, it would be the tram. Theyve already approved a shack type building so no to that, two Marvel sets wont win, neither will Rey's speeder, Iron Giant or Red Dwarf probably more likely of the brand entries, but they want to move past them into more unique stuff, so itll be the Tram or the diner, also they've made several cars recently so probably wont be another one of them.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 3, 2017, 10:48:39 am »
Theres actually a group up for selection right now, and the winner will probably be announced today if you want to take a look at them https://brickset.com/article/29685/lego-ideas-results-expected-later-today

Love looking at these, thanks for posting.

I really like the Mk. 1 Golf, perfect for Lego due to the straight edges. My Dad had one back in the day so fond memories of that.

Ship in the bottle, diner and the boat repair shop are all pretty cool too.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 3, 2017, 04:22:26 pm »

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/f20a58da-a8fd-4a2c-a0db-3a094de6fe21

SHIP IN A BOTTLE GOT APPROVED!

*twirls shirt over head*

They also approved the Voltron set that was up for review last time, so we get two Ideas sets.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:00 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/LEGO/photos/a.10150175674793403.303596.6665038402/10154981892433403/?type=3

>The biggest LEGO set to date is the 5,922 piece Taj Mahal but something BIGGER is coming... the newest LEGO Star Wars set is 1,619 pieces bigger!

:lickin

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:43 am »
So, its basically confirmed its a new, fucking enormous Ultimate Collectors Edition Millennium Falcon.

7,541 pieces, which is absurd, and going off the normal price per piece value of these sort of sets (Death Star is around 10p per piece, £409 for 4,000 odd pieces), I reckon the cost of this behemoth will be around the £699 to £740 range.

Better crack open those pigybanks.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:51 pm »
I REALLY need this scratch card to come up gold for me...

Popcorn's Art

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »
From a investment pov, would it worth buying and leaving it completely unopened in a cupboard somewhere for a couple of years?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2017, 02:51:45 pm »
Probably yes, but more than a couple of years.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »
How long and what do they tend to go for? Would I be better buying ethereum?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »
I'm writing to my bank manager

"Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Ziltoid."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:31 pm »
How long and what do they tend to go for? Would I be better buying ethereum?

I have no idea what Ethereum is.

For the LEGO, probably the best comparison is to the current largest set, The Taj Mahal, which was retired about 7 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=lego+taj+mahal&_sop=1

Lots for sale, for high prices, but not many bidders.

Personally, even if I had a load of spare cash, I don't think LEGO is where I'd invest.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »
*cough*

;)

I've gone to the lego website and requested the correct pieces.  Apparently they will send them free of charge.  I'm gutted in a way though, because an imperfection like that might have made an unused set more valuable - but there'd be no way of knowing until you tried to make it!  ;D

EDIT: Whilst I'm here, here's two pics of my other stuff.  My old Ice Planet vehicle - has to be my oldest (relatively) complete set, a good 23 years old.  The other is my old static model I built when I was 15 out of scraps.  Some of those bits are probably older than I am!

One of my brothers had the Ice Planet set, I had some of the Space Police and Blacktron sets. We had some epic Lego space battles with these.

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2017, 04:29:12 pm »
From a investment pov, would it worth buying and leaving it completely unopened in a cupboard somewhere for a couple of years?

So, in the last few years or so more people have cottoned on to the idea of Lego reselling, because some certain sets appreciated massively compared to their RRP. Big sets that didnt sell in huge numbers, or ones that just werent available for long became gold dust to those rediscovering their love for lego in their mid-late 20's or so, where they had some spare money around to spend. Sets like the original UCS Falcon and the Green Grocer (big modular building, had a lot of a certain colour brick that werent put into any other sets) skyrocketed and ended up being worth thousands of pounds.

The last few years that re-seller market has sort of stagnated, with people sitting on 20-30 sets in the hope that they'll go for triple their value in a year or two, and while there are some gains to be made, sometimes it comes in an unexpected set like the Ant-Man Final battle (a £12 set thats now going for around £4-50 on eBay), its also meant that people have horded sets that wont do more than 2 or 3% over RRP.

The Falcon is an interesting one, because the original was the poster boy for mental gains, up until a few months ago when rumours over a remake looked solid, they were going for 3-4 thousand pounds, and it will be interesting to see what this remake will do to people still holding on to them. The bottom could fall out of it completely, with people after that huge Falcon set going for the bigger, newer version, or it could do not much, with hardcore enthusiasts still wanting that special set.

This set, who the fuck knows. I will say one thing, the initial stock will sell out before Christmas. Partly because of people thinking its going to be a new investment goldmine, but also because Lego fans will go mental for this. Investment wise, we dont know how many will be made, or how long it will last for. The old lego Death Star was on sale for years, most UCS sets are available for around 2 years, and I imagine a set this enormous and special will lost longer. But, Lego are weird, and they kind of do things you dont expect with sets so I might be wrong and its gone within a year. If youre looking at this set from a purely investment point of view, I wouldnt bank on it. The starting cost is going to be around £700 and theres no guarantee what sort of rise itll get after it retires, or when that will even happen. If you like the set, get it to build it, theres better investment sets out there.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »
One of my brothers had the Ice Planet set, I had some of the Space Police and Blacktron sets. We had some epic Lego space battles with these.

Back when Lego was Lego and you saw a lot less of the custom parts that you get these days with the more specialist models.

On the subject of Lego investment, it doesn't surprise me that the Taj Mahal would be less popular than the Millennium Falcon.  The former would likely appeal more to Lego enthusiasts appreciating the technical challenge, whereas the latter is simply more populist for what it is.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:46 pm »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »
Saturn V back in stock at John Lewis if anyone is after one still

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 5, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
So theres been a few things, the 2017 Ultimate Collectors Series Millennium Falcon was officially revealed, coming in at an eye watering £649.99 with the biggest piece count ever produced at 7,541 pieces, its an enormous, ridiculous set and at some point I must have it.

For a sense of just how enormous this is:

They've got one set up on display in the Liverpool Lego store and pictures dont even do it justice, its unreal.

The next lot of Ideas sets have been finished and these are the ones that will be up for review, and a winner chosen next year, including the Shuttle and the Saturn V tower that people in here have been looking at:

Full link: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/0d0f90c2-71d4-421e-8765-e7ea5f141f7f

From this, I dont really know which gets made. Gilmore Girls diner is a new licence so wont be that, the Star Wars one will not get done for the same reason, the Peru Celebration is cool, but too big, the Shuttle is too similar to a recent model and I've already said why the tower wont get chosen, which leaves the plane, but its a little uninspiring and theres a Red Arrows plane in the current up for review selection which I think looks cooler, so I really dont know. It'll be interesting to see what they pick.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 5, 2017, 05:42:48 pm »
Out of those, I'd say either the tower or Star Wars. The Star Wars one would be a decent companion to the carbon freezing chamber, but it's really not that interesting.