Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1403523 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5840 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:37 pm »
Cannot see them scoring in any way apart from a counter or set piece. They've had a lot of joy in counter attacking recently, they hardly press....only one or two players (Hererra) but not in any systematic way that ive seen

Stop Pogba releasing the others on transitions and get the first goal....then we don't have to risk anything

This is all based off the one match ive seen them against PSG the other week and a few highlights here and there but in any case, we have a lot more for them to worry about

That’s how I see it. If they score first they’ll make it tough and be a threat on the counter which is why we don’t need to overly force it. PSG showed that patience can pay off against them as eventually you’d back out forwards to creat some decent chances against that defence as long as they’re not packed behind the ball for 90 minutes.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5841 on: February 19, 2019, 04:21:30 pm »
They are supremely confident of an easy win over on the caf.  There's nothing quite like an upturn in form to release those feel good factors.

Funny how all those cracks have been papered over so well that they appear unbeatable again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5842 on: February 19, 2019, 04:29:18 pm »
They are supremely confident of an easy win over on the caf.  There's nothing quite like an upturn in form to release those feel good factors.

Funny how all those cracks have been papered over so well that they appear unbeatable again.

Can't wait to smash those crowing mancs all over the pitch.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5843 on: February 19, 2019, 04:39:00 pm »
Can't wait to smash those crowing mancs all over the pitch.
Same here. 

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5844 on: February 19, 2019, 05:22:17 pm »
Cannot see them scoring in any way apart from a counter or set piece

If Palace can score 3 against us, these c*nts can score. We were pretty fucking bad that day though so hopefully just a 1 off.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5845 on: February 19, 2019, 05:25:59 pm »
Could've been Manc Taylor, or fat Jon Moss or Martin fucking Atkinson, so be grateful for small merices  ;D ;D

Kevin Friend. The jackass
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5846 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »
Kevin Friend. The jackass

One of the most ironically named people in football.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5847 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:33 pm »
Every time I see his name, I automatically read FIEND instead of Friend

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5848 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:19 pm »
Every time I see his name, I automatically read FIEND instead of Friend
I'm not going to say what I think every time I see his name.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #5849 on: February 20, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »
There are 2 ways United can play against us this weekend:

Route 1. They don't believe their false hype and play as an away team at OT. Camp at defense and hit us on the break with Martial, Rashford pace and Pogba's skill to pick them out. 

This is the most difficult route for us. United do have the speed to trouble us on the break and Pogba has been picking up those passes more often than not. Their defense has become tighter not because of improved organisation under Ole but more so because of regained confidence of some of their defensive players (lindeloff, herrera, young etc.). It would be a perfect Mourinho approach which surprisingly Ole has done against Spurs away, were they nicked a goal (although through speed and not hoof) and camped the rest of the game with a god-mode De Gea.

Our rigidity with a 3 man midfield compounded by Shaqiri's absence, makes it harder for us to open tight quality defense. Getting the first goal is of paramount importance. The longer the game goes unlocked, with the title pressure, we tend to drop of from the attacking shape and tends to end in a 0-0 draw or United nicking a late win. But it is unlikely United will choose this route due to false pride. Lot of fickle idiots in Cafe already claiming United have a better XI than us after beating Chelsea. completely forgetting the thrasing by PSG, LOL. On top of it, the game will be played at OT and United must come out of the shell. This leaves us with Route 2.

Route 2. Fanatically believe their own hype and attack us at OT pushing 6 people forward, with zero defensive care to clinch a goal or two and then camp.

This Route we are more assured to win. Our Gegen press will perfectly counter this and we will most likely tonk them 2-0, 3-1 or so.  With the London crowd pushing them, they are likely to be bouyant the first 10 or so minutes. We must wither the first 10 mins not allowing them to score as they are more likely to go Route 1 instantly if they score a goal early on. 

There are a number of things hinging on this game that makes it so enthralling:

1. Test of Ole's Tactical Acumen: United really are riding on a confidence wave, where players constantly criticized by Mourinho are punching above their weight and dragging them over the line. Reality is United midfield and back line are poorly manned defensively and our attack will be a difficult test. Will Ole accept the reality and go for a more structured approach? Will he be naive enough to ride the wave and go for a risky gungho approach?

2. Our title resolve: Though losing this game is not the end of the race, it will be huge dent to our title race for 2 reasons: it will compound the creeping negativity of our recent iffy results  and post-loss the media will flood articles about cracking under pressure etc. adding huge pressure going into the race. If we do win this, fingers crossed, it will be our race to lose from here on out.

3. Klopp's formation/system/tactics - (b4 some of the prude's come out jumping "we dont play 4-3-3" crap, please refrain replying with 100,000 heat maps or tactics schooling on the most unimportant things of establishing the proper name of the system/formation instead of focusing on what is being communicated)
Due to the high quality of our players, and in order to get the best of them in our system we play a very rigid 4-3-3 (Bobby centric) or a 4-2-3-1 (Shaqiri centric). While the system works well for majority of the games considering where we are and how we are doing this season, we are one creative mid (fekir/coutinho mold) short this season to unlock 10 man tight packed defense with these formations. Last night I would have preferred bringing in Sturridge instead of Origi for firmino and switching to a 4-2(hendo/gini)-2(mane/mili)-2 (salah/studge). not saying it would have worked, but just feel Klopp could try something different than switching Origi for Firmino to maintain the shape. Let me know your thoughts
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:30:04 pm by v2krules »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5850 on: February 20, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »
(b4 some of the prude's come out jumping "we dont play 4-3-3" crap, please refrain replying with 100,000 heat maps or tactics schooling on the most unimportant things of establishing the proper name of the system/formation instead of focusing on what is being communicated

There is plenty of useful information that has been debated about this, which is essential to understand how we actually play and how we are set up. So to dismiss it as crap is a bit OTT considering  you are in the same post asking for thoughts.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #5851 on: February 20, 2019, 02:54:18 pm »
There is plenty of useful information that has been debated about this, which is essential to understand how we actually play and how we are set up. So to dismiss it as crap is a bit OTT considering  you are in the same post asking for thoughts.

I already know it will be you (Defacto) or (PoP) jumping the whole thread with impertinent information. I personally want you guys to understand, I appreciate the education without any sarcasm. I prefer talking about other things like try some different formation or get a new CM or some other ideas of what would be a different way to break defensive teams with what we have or we might need

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5852 on: February 20, 2019, 03:17:19 pm »
I already know it will be you (Defacto) or (PoP) jumping the whole thread with impertinent information. I personally want you guys to understand, I appreciate the education without any sarcasm. I prefer talking about other things like try some different formation or get a new CM or some other ideas of what would be a different way to break defensive teams with what we have or we might need

I't not really to jump the thread.

As far as what we can do or what we will do, I don't foresee us doing anything we haven't done or worked on already. I think in the summer we may address the fekir type of player in midfield [even with Ox back having that type of player helps to be competitive on all fronts through out the season].

I think it's clear that we've spent the summer tweaking our approach in order not to be as open as we were last yer and in past season defensively. This United will be more confident than the last time we played them, however they still have deficiencies defensively that can and should be exposed like they were against PSG. They still have quality and they can still play football.

A point on Coutinho. Coutinho for all of his strengths, was also part of this same side that dropped points against the very same bus parking sides that people say we need him in. He was always better playing wide in the front three than actually playing a midfield role well in both ends of the pitch.

For me the key is to stretch their defensive shape vertically, as it will be difficult to find the breakthrough down the middle. There may be chances to counter them as they will attack at some point, [countering them while they are in process of attempting to counter us], but a ball ala Fabinho to Mane in the first match, imo will be key to getting in behind them.

Firmino playing well will be important in linking up the final third and midfield, regardless of who plays for us in midfield [and there are variety of options for us, I am only certain that Fabinho starts and the other 2 spots are up for grabs].

Shaqiri like in the first match will be imo better to bring on off the bench to impact the game.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #5853 on: February 20, 2019, 03:27:16 pm »
A point on Coutinho. Coutinho for all of his strengths, was also part of this same side that dropped points against the very same bus parking sides that people say we need him in. He was always better playing wide in the front three than actually playing a midfield role well in both ends of the pitch.

Perfect point. Ox playing perfectly in the midfield 3 after his transfer proves that Coutinho wasn't effective in that role and like you said would have been better playing wide in the front three. But what we really miss in Coutinho is his mazy runs breaking shape at times. He would pick the ball and disregard the entire system and go on these amazing solo runs (Europa League United) that really throws the opposition out of rhythm dragging them out of place. It is this maverick-ness that was sometimes key to breaking these parked defense. I don't think any of our current midfield has enough skill to pull this off. But then again we did drop points with him in the side, so he wasn't well suited in Klopp's system as he was better as a wide player coming in.

For me the key is to stretch their defensive shape vertically, as it will be difficult to find the breakthrough down the middle. There may be chances to counter them as they will attack at some point, [countering them while they are in process of attempting to counter us], but a ball ala Fabinho to Mane in the first match, imo will be key to getting in behind them.

Firmino playing well will be important in linking up the final third and midfield, regardless of who plays for us in midfield [and there are variety of options for us, I am only certain that Fabinho starts and the other 2 spots are up for grabs].

Shaqiri like in the first match will be imo better to bring on off the bench to impact the game.

Interesting. What do you think about United? Will they come out and play Gungho or will they drop their pride, camp and counter us?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:36:20 pm by v2krules »

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5854 on: February 20, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
Interesting. What do you think about United? Will they come out and play Gungho or will they drop their pride, camp and counter us?

After last night, and looking at what they did away at tottenham and to an extent chelsea, I expect them to bed in and look to counter/set piece/nick a goal. For any united fan - much as it is for us - any type of victory will do in these games. Solskjaer has done better than I expected so far, only the PSG game went as you'd have expected when he took over. But I think he knows that and I can't see him being daft enough to go toe to toe with us, even at their shithole.

If that is indeed the case, we need to keep our heads and be patient. A point is far from the worst result away to that lot, and it still keeps us in the drivers seat.

If he does decide to go toe to toe with us we'll fucking ruin them.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #5855 on: February 20, 2019, 03:44:17 pm »
3 points for the next game please reds.  Note to the players: Don't fear anybody, but don't fear situations in the game, we will be with you every step of the way. Just do what you do best.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5856 on: February 20, 2019, 03:50:44 pm »

There aren't too many sides in the world that would stand toe to toe with us in an open game, most teams will not engage in a match like that after last season. I think they will do what they've done in all of their games against bigger sides and that is to be compact, use the pace they have and look to score on the break or via set piece.

Solksjaer would be incredibly naive to go all guns blazing in this match knowing the fragility they have defensively and knowing what our strengths are. They will play with more confidence and belief when they do attack because of their form since Solksjaer has taken charge, but I think their plan won't be too different from when Mourinho was in charge in terms of being compact.

The key for them will be utilizing if fit, Martial,Lingaard and Rashford. All with plenty of pace and ability to score goals and stretch sides, all interchangeable. Lingaard is a limited player but he has a tendency to score goals in important matches

The other part is Pogba. Utilizing him and having him link up their midfield and attack. If Martial and Lingaard don't play, they still have Rashford that they can utilize on the break, however having Mata/Sanchez and Lukaku doesn't pose the same type of threat for them.

We will need to contain Rashford and the other two if they play, along with making sure that Pogba has a very limited match in midfield.

They will do the same thing they did against Chelsea, I am certain we will have majority of the possession but Chelsea really created very little against them. We'll need to be better and we can't gift them a goal like we did in the first match as they had no business being in the match at all prior to them scoring.

We need to start better than the last time we were at OT, we need better performances from Trent and Robertson, and the midfield will be key. I'd go with Henderson Fabinho and Wijnaldum, even though Keita has done better, those 3 fill me with lots of confidence and Fabinho does have the ability to make a crucial defense splitting pass. Wijnaldum would take the responsibility of bringing the ball forward and breaking into their end. The only issue I see is his knee, he may be rested/rotated in place of Kieta or even Milner who I'd rather have on the bench.

Firmino has to play well, and Mane needs to have his shooting boots, because even if they can keep Salah quiet, Mane will get space. He's a big game player

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #5857 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »
A point is far from the worst result away to that lot, and it still keeps us in the drivers seat.

You are right. Never thought about it this way. A point is actually good enough for us to be in the driving seat. Considering the current scenario, against a resurgent United a point won't be a bad result at all. I would rather win but a point wont be a disaster.

I think they will do what they've done in all of their games against bigger sides and that is to be compact, use the pace they have and look to score on the break or via set piece. Solksjaer would be incredibly naive to go all guns blazing in this match knowing the fragility they have defensively and knowing what our strengths are. They will play with more confidence and belief when they do attack because of their form since Solksjaer has taken charge, but I think their plan won't be too different from when Mourinho was in charge in terms of being compact.

I think so too and it will make it a very difficult game for us. I am still hoping they come out more open, but looks unlikely considering their top 4 is at stake.

We need to start better than the last time we were at OT, we need better performances from Trent and Robertson, and the midfield will be key. I'd go with Henderson Fabinho and Wijnaldum, even though Keita has done better, those 3 fill me with lots of confidence and Fabinho does have the ability to make a crucial defense splitting pass. Wijnaldum would take the responsibility of bringing the ball forward and breaking into their end. The only issue I see is his knee, he may be rested/rotated in place of Kieta or even Milner who I'd rather have on the bench.

I was thinking of the same midfield three. Fabinho is a must but I feel Gini is a must as well. His energy and positive forward runs make him indispensable. Between Hendo/Milli/Keita, I don't see Keita playing over the other two. I would prefer starting Hendo and change Hendo with Mili if we are down and need to attack more. And praying for better performances from TAA and Robbo than the last game.

Interesting posts. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:32:36 pm by v2krules »

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #5858 on: February 20, 2019, 08:56:03 pm »
In 2013-14 the factor that led to Man City winning the title greater than Gerrard slipping or Rodgers' poor tactics at 3-0 up v Crystal Palace:

That factor is... Man City's early exit from the UCL. If they went even one round further we would've won the title. Why? We won 13 out of our last 15 games. We had a great lead and City had games in hand which they ended up winning all of them. All that could'nt have happened without City going out in that L16 game v Barcelona. This is why I'm happy they got an easy draw in the FA Cup and UCL. Keep them distracted. And yes, they need to wake-up against Schalke. They need to win but they also need to work hard in the 2nd leg so this 1st leg score so far isn't bad for us.

Care to comment?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:03:20 pm by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5859 on: February 20, 2019, 09:05:19 pm »
We don't have as big of a squad as they do nor do we have the quality in depth as much as they do in all positions so I am not sure how much they will be affected.

Injuries however to Fernandinho is a different story

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5860 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:29 pm »
In 2013-14 the factor that led to Man City winning the title greater than Gerrard slipping or Rodgers' poor tactics at 3-0 up v Crystal Palace:

That factor is... Man City's early exit from the UCL. If they went even one round further we would've won the title. Why? We won 13 out of our last 15 games. We had a great lead and City had games in hand which they ended up winning all of them. All that could'nt have happened without City going out in that L16 game v Barcelona. This is why I'm happy they got an easy draw in the FA Cup and UCL. Keep them distracted. And yes, they need to wake-up against Schalke. They need to win but they also need to work hard in the 2nd leg so this 1st leg score so far isn't bad for us.

Care to comment?

We played Chelsea, who were basically out of the title race, bang in the middle of their semi final legs against Bayern. So no, that theory does not hold up.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5861 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:15 pm »

3. Klopp's formation/system/tactics - (b4 some of the prude's come out jumping "we dont play 4-3-3" crap, please refrain replying with 100,000 heat maps or tactics schooling on the most unimportant things of establishing the proper name of the system/formation instead of focusing on what is being communicated)
Due to the high quality of our players, and in order to get the best of them in our system we play a very rigid 4-3-3 (Bobby centric) or a 4-2-3-1 (Shaqiri centric).
While the system works well for majority of the games considering where we are and how we are doing this season, we are one creative mid (fekir/coutinho mold) short this season to unlock 10 man tight packed defense with these formations. Last night I would have preferred bringing in Sturridge instead of Origi for firmino and switching to a 4-2(hendo/gini)-2(mane/mili)-2 (salah/studge). not saying it would have worked, but just feel Klopp could try something different than switching Origi for Firmino to maintain the shape. Let me know your thoughts

No. We. Fucking. Don't.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5862 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:20 pm »
We played Chelsea, who were basically out of the title race, bang in the middle of their semi final legs against Bayern. So no, that theory does not hold up.

Yeah it's a load of rubbish. Playing a few extra games in the League Cup and FA Cup, albeit against weak opponents, hasn't impacted their form at all. And Guardiola went with a strong lineup in each of those games as well. It hasnt impacted Spurs' league form either and they have a paper thin squad. Neither of them look dead on their feet.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5863 on: February 21, 2019, 06:17:08 am »
Yeah it's a load of rubbish. Playing a few extra games in the League Cup and FA Cup, albeit against weak opponents, hasn't impacted their form at all. And Guardiola went with a strong lineup in each of those games as well. It hasnt impacted Spurs' league form either and they have a paper thin squad. Neither of them look dead on their feet.

Imagine they draw Spurs or Atletico next. You lot can't tell me that happening wouldn't be better than them getting knocked out. Draw spurs, then they have to play another team going for the title. The media would build it up to the high heavens. 'Best team in the entire existence of football' v 'Englands Heroes'. The pressure would be massive and they may just take one eye off the league. Especially since Spurs probably don't think they will win it and would fancy their chances in the CL more and City want the CL more. If they play Atletico, they have to play an absolute Unit of a team that will rough them up. They probably wouldn't even make it past them.

I for one would be happy to see all 3 English teams progress (United are already out). I just hope we dont draw them.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5864 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:28 am »

You don't tend to see it show up in form and performances until April.  This is when our warm weather training will really start to reap dividends and City's players will be tired and red lining.  Until then, we wait. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:55:39 am by latortuga »

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #5865 on: February 21, 2019, 07:59:17 am »
You don't tend to see it show up in form and performances until April.  This is when our warm weather training will really start to reap dividends and City's players will be tired and red lining.  Until then, we wait.

That's just complete speculation, or wishful thinking.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5866 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:42 am »
Imagine they draw Spurs or Atletico next. You lot can't tell me that happening wouldn't be better than them getting knocked out. Draw spurs, then they have to play another team going for the title. The media would build it up to the high heavens. 'Best team in the entire existence of football' v 'Englands Heroes'. The pressure would be massive and they may just take one eye off the league. Especially since Spurs probably don't think they will win it and would fancy their chances in the CL more and City want the CL more. If they play Atletico, they have to play an absolute Unit of a team that will rough them up. They probably wouldn't even make it past them.

I for one would be happy to see all 3 English teams progress (United are already out). I just hope we dont draw them.

As Caligula says, it is complete speculation. I've yet to see any actual evidence of it in practice.
Of course more games mean more 'chance' of an injury to their players, but that doesn't mean they will lose the games they will have to play.
They want the Champions League more than the league. In my opinion, them getting put out of that will have a worse affect on them compared to losing a player for a game against Fulham.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5867 on: February 21, 2019, 08:29:23 am »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5868 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:34 am »
As Caligula says, it is complete speculation. I've yet to see any actual evidence of it in practice.
Of course more games mean more 'chance' of an injury to their players, but that doesn't mean they will lose the games they will have to play.
They want the Champions League more than the league. In my opinion, them getting put out of that will have a worse affect on them compared to losing a player for a game against Fulham.

I disagree. The CL Quarter finals would be in and among their United and Spurs games. Would you not rather them going in to those games having had a midweek clash with a European heavyweight, rather than having a whole week to prepare for United or Spurs. In the Semis, they will almost certainly face a tough team.  They play Leicester and Brighton in among those games (final 2 games). If they are in the semis, they go all out for the CL. Leicester could get at them and Brighton at home, who knows - they may need a point or win to stay up.

Also, I don't think anyone can dispute the distraction them drawing Spurs would bring. For both. That would be a fantastic draw for us.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:37:08 am by deano2727 »

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5869 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:38 am »
I disagree. The CL Quarter finals would be in and among their United and Spurs games. Would you not rather them going in to those games having had a midweek clash with a European heavyweight, rather than having a whole week to prepare for United or Spurs. In the Semis, they will almost certainly face a tough team.  They play Leicester and Brighton in among those games (final 2 games). If they are in the semis, they go all out for the CL. Leicester could get at them and Brighton at home, who knows - they may need a point or win to stay up.

Also, I don't think anyone can dispute the distraction them drawing Spurs would bring. For both. That would be a fantastic draw for us.

I've highlighted the important parts in your post. Exactly as you have said, who knows? It's guesswork and supposition.

As I have said before, the perfect scenario for us in 2014 was Chelsea progressing to the Champions League semi final wasn't it? That meant that, with having no chance of winning the league, they would down tools against us as all their eggs are in the champions league basket. Our league game with them was sandwiched by the first and second legs of the semi final. So that's definitely 100% the best thing. Right?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5870 on: February 21, 2019, 08:51:59 am »

I've highlighted the important parts in your post. Exactly as you have said, who knows? It's guesswork and supposition.

As I have said before, the perfect scenario for us in 2014 was Chelsea progressing to the Champions League semi final wasn't it? That meant that, with having no chance of winning the league, they would down tools against us as all their eggs are in the champions league basket. Our league game with them was sandwiched by the first and second legs of the semi final. So that's definitely 100% the best thing. Right?

And I highlighted the really important parts in my previous post that you failed to recognize. Especially on the latter bolded statement. I don't see how that can't be beneficial. Two of our title rivals kicking lumps out of one another, the press fawning over the tie.

I'll be happy for them to get knocked out by a last minute own goal in the second leg of the semi final, preferably by us. Don't want them in a final. They have the quality to do it in a one off. Don't think they would get past Atletico or Barca over 2 legs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:53:34 am by deano2727 »

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5871 on: February 21, 2019, 08:53:49 am »
And I highlighted the really important parts in my previous post that you failed to recognize. Especially on the latter bolded statement. I don't see how that can't be beneficial. Two of our title rivals kicking lumps out of one another, the press fawning over the tie.

Chelsea played Atletico in the semis. A team of shitebags. How did that work out? We surely got the better of Chelsea in the league didn't we?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5872 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
Chelsea played Atletico in the semis. A team of shitebags. How did that work out? We surely got the better of Chelsea in the league didn't we?

I know I'd rather City facing a team of shitebags midweek than having a whole week to focus on how to beat the two teams in the league (other than ourselves) who, when you look at it on paper, you would say have a good chance of taking something from the game.

Get knocked out of the CL, they have to win the league or their season is a failure. It wouldn't be if they won the domestic treble - which they easily could.

As I said before, I  its in our interest they go to the semis and get knocked out there. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5873 on: February 21, 2019, 10:07:02 am »
That's just complete speculation, or wishful thinking.

Isn't that what we're doing here?  Speculating?  Neither you nor I know the future, so any statement about it is not fact but speculation.  8) 

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5874 on: February 21, 2019, 10:09:35 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a manc pre-match thread up yet?
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5875 on: February 21, 2019, 10:26:44 am »

We finished above them, and chelsea didn't win anything, so yes - statistically speaking we did.

Fatigue can't always be quantified over one game.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #5876 on: February 21, 2019, 11:28:01 am »
I don't know if I'm right in saying this but I seem to remember that our Champions league run affected our league form quite significantly last season (draws with stoke and west brom come to mind). I don't know if that's right but surely it was a factor for us although admittedly we didn't have as big a squad last year as city do.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5877 on: February 21, 2019, 11:37:13 am »
I don't know if I'm right in saying this but I seem to remember that our Champions league run affected our league form quite significantly last season (draws with stoke and west brom come to mind). I don't know if that's right but surely it was a factor for us although admittedly we didn't have as big a squad last year as city do.

We only had 3 fit midfielders at that point, in the most important part of Klopp's system unable to rotate properly. Stoke we missed [Salah] an incredible chance early on and were denied a clear penalty. At West BRom we threw away a two goal lead.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5878 on: February 21, 2019, 11:37:34 am »

We drew with Everton too [the shame], and lost to chelsea.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5879 on: February 21, 2019, 11:51:11 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a manc pre-match thread up yet?
What you want to do is find the thread for Rawk guest writers, see who put their name down to do the write up for the Utd game and then bombard the shit out of their inbox and tell em to get a move on.

Edit;

Post from Titi

Whilst there may very well be a legitimate reason for this poster not following through, the crux of the matter is we don't have a write up for the Manc game.

Is anyone available to step into the fray and knock something together?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:54:41 am by rawcusk8 »
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali