Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 864970 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7640 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:11 pm »
OnePlus have announced they will be removing the 3.5mm jack from their next phones.

How will people listen to their 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones now?

The difference is if Android users are not happy with OnePlus decision to remove the headphone jack they can just buy a different Android. If you’re unhappy with Apple removing the headphone jack but have a Mac, Apple TV, ITunes and other Apple stuff you’re a bit stuck.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7641 on: September 14, 2018, 07:04:48 pm »
Easy, don't buy one plus, buy Samsung. Best phone with 4000 mai battery, water resistance , great camera, expandable memory, headphone jack and an Oled screen that blows the iphone screen out of the water... the Note 9

:) options. Choices.. they are good you see.. still using my quiet comfort in... comfort  8) plug and play.. top class audio output on my S9..

Btw Oneplus' decision has not been received too well going by comments on gsmarena..

https://www.gsmarena.com/one_fewer_the_oneplus_6t_will_not_have_a_headphone_jack_says_carl_pei-news-33249.php
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:06:49 pm by 21stCenturySchizoidMan »
Phuk yoo

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7642 on: September 18, 2018, 12:21:32 pm »
dont think Huawei have one either
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #7643 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:20 am »
On the "paying for a phone over the contract" point.

I'm sure I'm not the only one paying 0% for my phone over the contract.

My phone when I bought it would have been about £460.

I leave you to work out 460÷24.

I've just upgraded to an S9, on a 24 month contract at £33 p/m and no upfront cost.

The handset is currently being sold for ~£649-£699, which means that over the contract period i'm paying for the handset, plus approximately ~£3.87-£5.95 p/m for unlimited calls, texts and 15GB of data.

I could have, alternatively, paid for the handset outright and then signed up for a SIM only deal for ~£20 p/m for a similar package (as I was on previously and is the ball-park currently listed on Carphone Warehouse) and wound up paying ~£337-£388 *more* over the course of a 24 month period.

My mum has/had always drilled into me the same message as 21stCenturySchizoidMan; "Don't buy something until you can pay for it upfront". For the most part i've lived with that mentality, but it's not always the smart way to go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:20:39 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7644 on: September 20, 2018, 09:34:10 am »
Interesting.

Very good deal you've got there. Although it can be had for 600 odd if you look around, your deal still saves you money.

I cannot fathom how the service provider is making money from deals like this!
Phuk yoo

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #7645 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:37 am »
Interesting.

Very good deal you've got there. Although it can be had for 600 odd if you look around, your deal still saves you money.

I cannot fathom how the service provider is making money from deals like this!

EE didn't have it listed on their site and they hadn't offered it to me as an upgrade 'deal' either. The closest package they were listing was something like £48 p/m with £100 upfront for the handset, but after calling them and pointing them towards the deal that i'd found they dropped the price and the upfront cost to an amount that I was willing to go for.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7646 on: September 20, 2018, 10:01:06 am »
I bought a Pocophone which is due to turn up this week. Ridiculous specs considering the price.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/mid-range-smartphones/pocophone-f1-3682679/

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7647 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:21 am »
I bought a Pocophone which is due to turn up this week. Ridiculous specs considering the price.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/mid-range-smartphones/pocophone-f1-3682679/

Very good phone with just one issue. If you like watching Netflix and Amazon prime, you cannot stream HD or QHD content due to a lack of Widevine level 1 DRM support. You can only do 480p at best.

Apart from that, this is insanely specced considering the price. Flagship Snapdragon processor at that price is daylight robbery. Wonder if they are selling it at a loss to capture market share.
EE didn't have it listed on their site and they hadn't offered it to me as an upgrade 'deal' either. The closest package they were listing was something like £48 p/m with £100 upfront for the handset, but after calling them and pointing them towards the deal that i'd found they dropped the price and the upfront cost to an amount that I was willing to go for.

Looks like the mobile services space is much more competitive than i thought it was, resulting in arrangements like yours.  If these sort of deals are the norm these days, cannot argue against contracts!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:23:23 am by 21stCenturySchizoidMan »
Phuk yoo

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7648 on: September 20, 2018, 01:11:49 pm »
I switched from an iPhone to Samsung s8, stuck with o2 but bought it through mobilephonesdirect. When I told o2 I wanted to cancel my tariff with them, they couldn't even get close to matching my one through MPD (30gb data, £28p/m, free handset). Seems a bit mental how much cheaper those 3rd party websites are.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7649 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:32 pm »
The Pocophone doesn't appear to have a 3.5mm jack. How are people going to listen to their 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones now?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7650 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »
If you are gonna be a smartass, at least get your facts correct! :P

It has a fully functional 3.5 mm port and rather good sound output. The boses and audiotechnas are fine... plug, play and enjoy...

:thumbup

Sounded much better in your head, didn't it. Better luck next time!
Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7651 on: September 20, 2018, 04:36:21 pm »
If you are gonna be a smartass, at least get your facts correct! :P

Ah couldn't see it in spec on that site listed or the pics.

Don't worry those with 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones in that case.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7652 on: September 20, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »
Anyone any idea when the next flagship android will be out? Was thinking about going for the P20 pro but I’m happy to wait if something more interesting is coming out

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7653 on: September 20, 2018, 10:57:32 pm »
Anyone any idea when the next flagship android will be out? Was thinking about going for the P20 pro but I’m happy to wait if something more interesting is coming out

The OnePlus 6T will be out soon if we can sort of class that as a flagship nowadays. Looks like they're ditching the headphone jack and the fingerprint sensor and a few other things that people are angry about, though.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7654 on: September 20, 2018, 11:22:13 pm »
The OnePlus 6T will be out soon if we can sort of class that as a flagship nowadays. Looks like they're ditching the headphone jack and the fingerprint sensor and a few other things that people are angry about, though.

Think the 7 has been announced too with the 6T only being a small improvement on the previous one. Pixel 3 is out in October apparently, may see what that is like

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7655 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:22 am »
Think the 7 has been announced too with the 6T only being a small improvement on the previous one. Pixel 3 is out in October apparently, may see what that is like

I can't see the 7 being announced yet.

The OnePlus 6 was only out around May or June. Would expect the 7 to be thrilled same time next year there or thereabouts

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #7656 on: September 21, 2018, 03:39:39 pm »
I can't see the 7 being announced yet.

The OnePlus 6 was only out around May or June. Would expect the 7 to be thrilled same time next year there or thereabouts

Read a story about the 6T the other day and could have sworn it mentioned something about the 7, must have misinterpreted it

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #7657 on: September 22, 2018, 09:52:01 pm »
Just popped in to say thank you to 21stCenturySchizoidMan.  I bought a Nokia7 Plus based on this post back in June, and it has worked a treat.  Excellent post outlining the pros and cons.  Using it with a SIM only Tesco contract, I was an Orange/EE contract person for 10 years +, and I am glad I made the move.  Thanks again.
I actually went for the Nokia 7 Plus in the end as well and I'm happy with it - Both phones would've been a big upgrade on what I had before, but I wanted a good battery not to have to charge it every day and I easily get 2-2,5 days out of it without charging so work well done! Very happy with how it works, gets everything done that I need and the photo/video quality is good (although a wee bit worse than the other I presume ;D) so I'm well-satisfied with the choice.

Thanks again for the brilliant comparison 21stCenturySchizoidMan!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7658 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:12 am »
Read a story about the 6T the other day and could have sworn it mentioned something about the 7, must have misinterpreted it
Yeah 6T will come soon.

And you're right there was an imagining of the OP7 from leaked specs.

I ended up going for the OP6 as the price had tumbled to £356 because of the newer model about to be released. Still a really good phone in my eyes. Ha. The OPOne and OP3 are still really good phones!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7659 on: September 24, 2018, 07:45:02 am »
I actually went for the Nokia 7 Plus in the end as well and I'm happy with it - Both phones would've been a big upgrade on what I had before, but I wanted a good battery not to have to charge it every day and I easily get 2-2,5 days out of it without charging so work well done! Very happy with how it works, gets everything done that I need and the photo/video quality is good (although a wee bit worse than the other I presume ;D) so I'm well-satisfied with the choice.

Thanks again for the brilliant comparison 21stCenturySchizoidMan!

Cheers mate, good decision! Since it is stock android, you'll get software updates on time.   :thumbup
Phuk yoo

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7660 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:55 am »
Yeah 6T will come soon.

And you're right there was an imagining of the OP7 from leaked specs.

I ended up going for the OP6 as the price had tumbled to £356 because of the newer model about to be released. Still a really good phone in my eyes. Ha. The OPOne and OP3 are still really good phones!
i had the one plus one up to recently, it was a great phone for years then slowed down so id imagine the new phones are great
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7661 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:27 am »
The Oneplus 6 has a 3.5 mm jack which the 6T is missing, making it a better deal imo.  Its a pretty good phone at the price;

Phuk yoo

Offline rigoberts schlong

• Main Stander
« Reply #7662 on: September 27, 2018, 09:19:20 am »
Hi lads,just a bit of technical advise please,i dont have a bloody clue on stuff like this. Ive upgraded my galaxy j5 to a huawei pro 20. Id like to transfer all my apps to the new handset but only have one sim card,the one in my old j5. I have the smart switch app but am really confused as to how to sort this out,considering i need to take the sim out from me old phone to get going? Sorry for the ignorance,would really appreciate any help.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7663 on: September 27, 2018, 10:29:47 am »
Hi lads,just a bit of technical advise please,i dont have a bloody clue on stuff like this. Ive upgraded my galaxy j5 to a huawei pro 20. Id like to transfer all my apps to the new handset but only have one sim card,the one in my old j5. I have the smart switch app but am really confused as to how to sort this out,considering i need to take the sim out from me old phone to get going? Sorry for the ignorance,would really appreciate any help.

If you have a google account logged in on your J5 then all you need to do is log in to the Play Store with that same account on your P20 and you can download all your apps from the play store.

You can also use your google account to back up all your contacts to your google account and transfer them that way rather than transfer them using your sim card.

Press apps, settings, accounts, google, Select your account, More, Sync now.

All your contacts will now be linked with your google account. Log onto your google account on your P20 and it will link all your contacts with your new phone

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7664 on: September 27, 2018, 03:06:09 pm »
Should also be able to transfer your contacts using bluetooth.

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-transfer-contacts-using-bluetooth/
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline rigoberts schlong

• Main Stander
« Reply #7665 on: September 27, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »
Thanks very much for the help on this. I knew it wouldnt be too complicated,i did warn you i was clueless!

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7666 on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:51 am »
Anyone had any experience with Tesco Mobile? Seem like quite good prices.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7667 on: September 29, 2018, 04:44:55 pm »

Nothing but good,they couldn't get me a code to unlock an old phone so sent me a free Galaxy A3,coverage is the same as O2.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7668 on: September 29, 2018, 05:07:13 pm »

UK?
I've used them Ireland.
They have the worst customer service, network connection and mobile internet I've witnessed in my life and I moved here from Eastern Europe.
Simply unbeatable for shitness.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7669 on: September 29, 2018, 05:09:24 pm »
It's basically just the O2 network isn't it?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7670 on: September 29, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »
UK?
I've used them Ireland.
They have the worst customer service, network connection and mobile internet I've witnessed in my life and I moved here from Eastern Europe.
Simply unbeatable for shitness.

And yet they're brilliant on all fronts in the UK or at least that is my experience.

What network did they piggy back off in Ireland ?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7671 on: September 29, 2018, 05:13:34 pm »
And yet they're brilliant on all fronts in the UK or at least that is my experience.

What network did they piggy back off in Ireland ?

Eir I think, that or Vodafone - those are the big ones.

In any case, simply shocking service.
I tried cancelling my contract but could not even do that either online or via calls - had to go in person to then call again twice to make it happen. They were the last network to provide 4G mobile internet, yet their coverage is so bad it made almost no difference in day to day use.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7672 on: September 29, 2018, 05:21:58 pm »
Eir I think, that or Vodafone - those are the big ones.

In any case, simply shocking service.
I tried cancelling my contract but could not even do that either online or via calls - had to go in person to then call again twice to make it happen. They were the last network to provide 4G mobile internet, yet their coverage is so bad it made almost no difference in day to day use.

Strange,they're brilliant over here as is the customer service.

They've stopped it now but for the past couple of years they had an app that opened an ad when you unlocked your phone,you had to do it once a day,my mam had it and after her £3 discount she was paying £2pm unlimited calls & texts + 500mb data (she never used data).

Offline Andy2508

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
What mobile phone?
« Reply #7673 on: October 1, 2018, 12:20:44 pm »
My iPhone 6 has just about had it. Screen cracked, chassis bent, battery knackered. I’m looking at getting a new/refurbished phone. There’s no way I’m buying a new iPhone as the prices are ridiculous. Any of you guys recommend a good phone for around £150? Doesn’t have to have great storage, I only really text ring and watch videos. Had iPhones since I don’t even know when so I’m not really sure what other makes are like!
« Last Edit: October 1, 2018, 02:11:28 pm by Andy2508 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7674 on: October 2, 2018, 03:48:10 pm »
My iPhone 6 has just about had it. Screen cracked, chassis bent, battery knackered. I’m looking at getting a new/refurbished phone. There’s no way I’m buying a new iPhone as the prices are ridiculous. Any of you guys recommend a good phone for around £150? Doesn’t have to have great storage, I only really text ring and watch videos. Had iPhones since I don’t even know when so I’m not really sure what other makes are like!

Redmi note 5... Check it out.  Much better than you expect for the price..

Phuk yoo

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #7675 on: October 4, 2018, 01:42:51 pm »
Anyone seen the Oppo Find X up close and personal? Wondering whether to go for it but not sure about the retracting mechanism for the camera.
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #7676 on: October 4, 2018, 02:06:49 pm »
It’s flimsy as fuck apparently. Jerry Rig on YouTube did a stress test on it and it wasn’t pretty.

Will hunt that down - thanks, that's that one crossed off the list. Might wait for more details of the One Plus 7 to emerge, my OP3 is still doing okay.
JFT97

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7677 on: October 4, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »
Anyone seen the Oppo Find X up close and personal? Wondering whether to go for it but not sure about the retracting mechanism for the camera.

Good little review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPd-qt2KJA0

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7678 on: October 5, 2018, 05:48:47 am »
The mechanism will hold up. My subordinate at work has been using it for a couple of months, no complaints at all so far.  Very good phone to be honest. Hate Oppo's user interface though, too much like IOS.
Phuk yoo

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #7679 on: October 5, 2018, 12:44:37 pm »
Good little review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPd-qt2KJA0

Thanks very helpful, seems like there are just too many negatives to outweigh how beautiful it looks.

The mechanism will hold up. My subordinate at work has been using it for a couple of months, no complaints at all so far.  Very good phone to be honest. Hate Oppo's user interface though, too much like IOS.

I have gotten way too used to Oxygen one on the One Plus 3 so anything that is too far removed from stock Android is going to bug me now. Let's see what the Pixel 3 brings next week...itch to buy a new phone will have to go on hold!
JFT97