Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé  (Read 3015335 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023
« Reply #3320 on: May 27, 2023, 12:14:50 pm »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
Young Liverpool attacker Elijah Gift set to join Athletic Bilbao this summer.
Understand the fee is set to be around £1 million. #LFC
£1m for a 16 year old attacker that even the most fervent of Liverpool fans wouldn't know existed, he might well be a talent, but the money in the game now is ludicrous.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3321 on: May 27, 2023, 12:30:30 pm »
Yeah because saying a 18yr old kid is better than Fabinho who has won everything with this club, is similar to being angry and disappointed after the CL final.  :D

Your skis are going too fast mate, slow them down a little bit.  ;)

Dalglish has won even more than Fabinho. Doesn't mean I want to see Dalglish in the team.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3322 on: May 27, 2023, 12:35:09 pm »
£1m for a 16 year old attacker that even the most fervent of Liverpool fans wouldn't know existed, he might well be a talent, but the money in the game now is ludicrous.
To be fair this has been true for a long time now. We paid £2m for a teenage Mark Kennedy in 1995 (27 years ago!)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3323 on: May 27, 2023, 12:38:54 pm »
To be fair this has been true for a long time now. We paid £2m for a teenage Mark Kennedy in 1995 (27 years ago!)
Kennedy had played in Millwalls first team though.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3324 on: May 27, 2023, 12:41:42 pm »
No. Its about having a proper strategy and knowing what we're scouting. The talent is there but you can't sign players and wonder why they don't tactically fit in once you get them. Same applies with Nunez.

So why weren't you saying this when we originally failed to sign him? Do I need to remind you how you actually reacted?

It was literally a no brainer to get him. He either works out, or we sell him for a huge profit. But as per usual, we can never win with you. We don't sign him you have a meltdown, we do sign him and you say we shouldn't have.

He was also a teenager. It's hardly out of the realms that we thought and still think that he could be trained to fit in with us tactically.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:47:18 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3325 on: May 27, 2023, 12:43:04 pm »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC

Keeps on giving.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3326 on: May 27, 2023, 12:53:15 pm »
So why weren't you saying this when we originally failed to sign him? Do I need to remind you how you actually reacted?

It was literally a no brainer to get him. He either works out, or we sell him for a huge profit. But as per usual, we can never win with you. We don't sign him you have a meltdown, we do sign him and you say we shouldn't have.

He was also a teenager. It's hardly out of the realms that we thought and still think that he could be trained to fit in with us tactically.
Carvalho is an outstanding young talent, as you say it was a no brainier to sign him Fulham must hate us, Elliot and Carvalho for £10m in todays game is daylight robbery for players of their ability.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3327 on: May 27, 2023, 01:06:07 pm »
I know people are desperate for us to be back at the top, but that's not where I see this window taking us and I don't necessarily think that's an issue.

Realistically, I don't think there's any level of business we can do that'll get us competing for the title again immediately. City are at their peak right now and will continue to spend to stay there, whereas we have been wildly off the pace and like it or not will likely be going through a transition season. We're at a point where the amount of signings needed to get us competing would likely lead to us struggling to integrate so many players at once.

With that in mind, the goal of the summer at the minimum will be to break back into the top four, try to win the Europa and develop the squad so they can compete on multiple fronts the season after. Signing players who are still developing (but of a good standard) is less of a concern as realistically in that scenario I think we can bridge the gap to top four very easily.

What I'm trying to say is I don't really have a problem with us targeting players like Lavia and Gravenberch. I said last summer (and possibly the one before) that while Bellingham would be incredible, we've been desperately short of actual depth in midfield for a long time and I think we could get a lot more from 2-3 cheaper signings than one statement one. If we do get Mac Allister I think we could end up signing 1-2 projects alongside him, then another 1-2 over the next couple of windows.
I know people think we need 5-6 players to challenge again but I said this the other day. Add Tchouameni and Bellingham to our squad and we are challenging again. Yes we aren't going to get them but the squad is still full of quality. Who thought a midfield of Xhaka and Partey would allow a team to challenge for the league? Or the Newcastle and Man Utd teams would have enough for a top 4 spot? I mean other than the City squad would you take any other over ours?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3328 on: May 27, 2023, 01:10:06 pm »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC

Welcome to LFC Iker Munian (is he still around?)…

Welcome to LFC Iniaki Williams.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3329 on: May 27, 2023, 01:10:47 pm »

Welcome to LFC Iniaki Williams.

Haven't heard those names since 2012
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3330 on: May 27, 2023, 01:10:53 pm »

I am a big fan of Carvalho and think we will almost certainly make money on him. The issue that means it wasn't a no-brainer is that we shouldn't really be buying players for stock to sell on at a later date.

At the start of the season, we had a hugely imbalanced squad with old established centre mids and kids. There was nothing in between.

In hindsight, we may well have been better served to combine the Carvalho money with the Melo money and bring in a mid-twenties centre mid with the athleticism to improve our resilience to counterattacks. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3331 on: May 27, 2023, 01:13:09 pm »

Welcome to LFC Iniaki Nico Williams.

Fixed it for you.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: May 27, 2023, 01:15:28 pm »
I am a big fan of Carvalho and think we will almost certainly make money on him. The issue that means it wasn't a no-brainer is that we shouldn't really be buying players for stock to sell on at a later date.

At the start of the season, we had a hugely imbalanced squad with old established centre mids and kids. There was nothing in between.

In hindsight, we may well have been better served to combine the Carvalho money with the Melo money and bring in a mid-twenties centre mid with the athleticism to improve our resilience to counterattacks.

We didn't sign him for stock to sell on though did we? It's just that that's a possibility if he doesn't make the grade here.

And what Melo money? We reportedly paid £5 million for Carvalho and a £3 million loan fee for Melo. What CM are you signing for £8 million that would be anywhere near good enough for us?

We probably should have signed a cheaper forward than Nunez and re-distrubted the rest to CM. But the Club, likely including Klopp, decided we didn't need to do that and by the time they realised we had a problem it was too late.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3333 on: May 27, 2023, 01:16:32 pm »

Where's The Gift money, John?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3334 on: May 27, 2023, 01:18:49 pm »
I know people think we need 5-6 players to challenge again but I said this the other day. Add Tchouameni and Bellingham to our squad and we are challenging again. Yes we aren't going to get them but the squad is still full of quality. Who thought a midfield of Xhaka and Partey would allow a team to challenge for the league? Or the Newcastle and Man Utd teams would have enough for a top 4 spot? I mean other than the City squad would you take any other over ours?

He said ‘realistically’ though. Realistically we’re not adding 2 players of that quality to midfield.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3335 on: May 27, 2023, 01:20:35 pm »

He's a quality young player, you can never sign enough of them.   Of course its a no brainer, I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed him, but you need more of a plan on utilising players.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3336 on: May 27, 2023, 01:22:46 pm »
Come on now, I think that's a bit wild. He's been a starter in all our last 10 unbeaten games in the league winning the vast majority of them. We can write off half the squad if we go by the rest of this shite season.

The overall level has been concerning yes. But the likes of Trent have been objectively brilliant for the last 9 games or so. Jones had been fantastic. But Fabinho hasn’t been incredible during the run and he was the worst of a bad bunch for the rest of the season. He was dropped for a teenager remember. Plus there have still been significant issues during this run.

Fabinho might get back to his previous level (although even then I’m not sure he’ll look as good given the role has changed) but I would not be betting on it. Our most significant midfield need (of quite a few) is athleticism and ball winning. We may as well get that whilst replacing the worst culprit for a lack of athleticism.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3337 on: May 27, 2023, 01:29:48 pm »
We didn't sign him for stock to sell on though did we? It's just that that's a possibility if he doesn't make the grade here.

And what Melo money? We reportedly paid £5 million for Carvalho and a £3 million loan fee for Melo. What CM are you signing for £8 million that would be anywhere near good enough for us?

We probably should have signed a cheaper forward than Nunez and re-distrubted the rest to CM. But the Club, likely including Klopp, decided we didn't need to do that and by the time they realised we had a problem it was too late.

Melo was £4m for one season. So if you sign another player say a 23 year old on a 5 year deal. That £4m per season is suddenly £20m over the course of the five years and crucially that player has a sell on value. We basically just set fire to that £4m Melo fee and watched it burn.

Add in the Carvalho fee of £5m plus addons and suddenly you have £25m+ to spend on a midfield player to add legs to the team.

Then you get to the fact that by the end of the season, we were paying two players' wages and they were taking up two spots in the squad with neither of them contributing much.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3338 on: May 27, 2023, 01:35:00 pm »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
Put the money in your he Bellingham fund. Yay, we’re almost there, just 100ish more of these….
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: May 27, 2023, 01:41:07 pm »
Melo was £4m for one season. So if you sign another player say a 23 year old on a 5 year deal. That £4m per season is suddenly £20m over the course of the five years and crucially that player has a sell on value. We basically just set fire to that £4m Melo fee and watched it burn.

Add in the Carvalho fee of £5m plus addons and suddenly you have £25m+ to spend on a midfield player to add legs to the team.

Then you get to the fact that by the end of the season, we were paying two players' wages and they were taking up two spots in the squad with neither of them contributing much.

Well that's one way to look it, I guess.

I might go the shop later and try and buy something worth £20 with my £4.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3340 on: May 27, 2023, 01:43:31 pm »
Where's The Gift money, John?
There will be a few Suspicious Minds if the money isn't reinvested, there'll be very few calls of Johnny Come Home either.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3341 on: May 27, 2023, 01:49:21 pm »
Al's migration has begun huh? Summer transfer thread about to get even more barney.  ;D

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #3342 on: May 27, 2023, 01:51:35 pm »

;D ;D ;D
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: May 27, 2023, 01:54:30 pm »
Al's migration has begun huh? Summer transfer thread about to get even more barney.  ;D

It can get even more chaotic?!?!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: May 27, 2023, 01:55:38 pm »
It can get even more chaotic?!?!

Oh it sure can, you're luck it's only a thread these days and not an entire forum for Al to run riot in.  ;D

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3345 on: May 27, 2023, 01:55:45 pm »

It is the way football transfers are accounted for. The fee is amortised over the length of the deal. Seems a better idea than renting something for £4m never using it paying it £5m in wages and then handing it back to its owners after a year. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: May 27, 2023, 01:59:14 pm »
It is the way football transfers are accounted for. The fee is amortised over the length of the deal. Seems a better idea than renting something for £4m never using it paying it £5m in wages and then handing it back to its owners after a year.

Yes but then you're taking £5 million out of your budget for the next 5 seasons on a signing that would have been a complete gamble. Unless you know of a £25 million athletic central midfielder that would have undoubtedly improved us?

Do that enough times and you'll soon be left with no budget (as Chelsea will soon find out).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 02:02:17 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3347 on: May 27, 2023, 02:24:24 pm »
Gravenberch starting today if anyone wants to have a watch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: May 27, 2023, 02:26:28 pm »
Why watch the match when we can watch a flashy edited compilation on YouTube soundtracked by horrendous dubstep?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3349 on: May 27, 2023, 02:38:51 pm »
Yes but then you're taking £5 million out of your budget for the next 5 seasons on a signing that would have been a complete gamble. Unless you know of a £25 million athletic central midfielder that would have undoubtedly improved us?

Do that enough times and you'll soon be left with no budget (as Chelsea will soon find out).

The athleticism of Bajcetic who cost 250k and Jones who cost nothing massively improved us though. Arguably athletic players who can just keep it simple are one of the easiest kinds of players to recruit. We ended up with two players who lack athleticism taking up valuable spaces in the squad.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3350 on: May 27, 2023, 02:43:55 pm »
so weird, like the club are doing a 180 now on who they go after. 

But then all the players linked with are in the PL, but he’s there to look at young players in Germany.  I don’t know, it all sounds a bit random to me.

what if we already had 2-3 Bundesliga players on our list anyway? why would it be odd for someone with a strong reputation in that market to give us advice/Opinion and help us to not overpay

from the articles in the media
over the last few months it was rumoured we had 12 midfielders on our list we were looking at, then consider the other positions that need strengthening there could easily be a large chunk of the hitlist in Germany, and it’s not like he has never done business with clubs outside Germany either

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3351 on: May 27, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »

it’s a special case, Bilbao have a very limited pool of talent they can go after, hopefully we laid the grind work so we can go back and sign Neco Williams later :-)

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3352 on: May 27, 2023, 03:04:50 pm »
There will be a few Suspicious Minds if the money isn't reinvested, there'll be very few calls of Johnny Come Home either.

When I read puns like this it Drives Me Crazy.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #3353 on: May 27, 2023, 03:05:59 pm »
Le Parisien (apparently) say we're ready to put in a €60m bid for Ugarte and that he prefers a move to the Premier League over PSG:

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #3354 on: May 27, 2023, 03:11:46 pm »

It’s more that Athletic have their Basque-only policy which severely limits the talent pool they can pick from, hence having to pay up for young players employed elsewhere.

As much as I would like to, if I’m staying up past midnight local time I’d rather watch Dortmund try claim the title.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: May 27, 2023, 03:13:24 pm »
Just want to comment on Fabinho. His athleticism is what it is. He isn’t the fastest and most mobile, and he wasn’t those things before this season, when there was no issue with him. So what changed?

The whole midfield entered into a period of dysfunction. Our old timers were being asked to carry it, when it was clear they no longer had the legs to do that. So gaps were opening up all over the place, and we were getting overrun by many teams in the Prem.

It made Fabinho look terrible, coupled with a downturn in form.

During the last part of the season we have mitigated some of the issues, and Fabinho is not looking nearly as bad. If we add two good midfielders this summer there is still a part to play for Fabinho.

The main issue for me is that the whole midfield department has been mismanaged. We have had old timers who can’t quite carry it any more, and youngsters trying to come through but being introduced to a side that has been struggling (it’s why, for example, Harvey Elliott’s star has waned in some eyes, a little. Harvey is fine, and he saw a lot of action in the first two thirds of the season, but coming into a struggling side was a tough assignment for him).

Add a couple of prime operators and we are in business again. The exciting young midfielders we have can come through and do their thing. And whatever is left in the tank of the old timers can still make a contribution.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:15:13 pm by G Richards »

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3356 on: May 27, 2023, 03:23:55 pm »
I would be very wary of any players from the Bundesliga, it looks a weak league right now in comparison to what it was.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: May 27, 2023, 03:27:42 pm »
When I read puns like this it Drives Me Crazy.
All things considered that's a Good Thing

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #3358 on: May 27, 2023, 03:37:05 pm »
Le Parisien (apparently) say we're ready to put in a €60m bid for Ugarte and that he prefers a move to the Premier League over PSG:

Now that's what I'm talking about. You, sir, have just made my day.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3359 on: May 27, 2023, 03:40:19 pm »
Just want to comment on Fabinho. His athleticism is what it is. He isn’t the fastest and most mobile, and he wasn’t those things before this season, when there was no issue with him. So what changed?

The whole midfield entered into a period of dysfunction. Our old timers were being asked to carry it, when it was clear they no longer had the legs to do that. So gaps were opening up all over the place, and we were getting overrun by many teams in the Prem.

It made Fabinho look terrible, coupled with a downturn in form.

During the last part of the season we have mitigated some of the issues, and Fabinho is not looking nearly as bad. If we add two good midfielders this summer there is still a part to play for Fabinho.

The thing is its not black and white...it's about what level is he now at and can we win with that as our first choice

He looked better in our last 8 games with another body in midfield but still struggled whenever we were put under pressure. He looks fine when we're on the front foot (not more than fine but like a squad player, not going to be a big issue but not going to add much on the ball) but just a huge problem when we're caught in transition. He was also still horrible when we were trying to defend in our final third which never used to be the case
If you watched someone else play the season he just has for another club then we were linked with him you'd be perplexed

Ultimately the 6 is a pivotal position for most big teams and I don't really see how you can be an elite team with this version of Fabinho starting most of your games
I'd be moving him on (or at least trying to) and signing a replacement with Bajcetic /Henderson as the rotation cover