Author Topic: Master of None - Netflix  (Read 11272 times)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Master of None - Netflix
« on: November 8, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »
Anyone watched this?

New project from Aziz Ansari, the whole season premiered on Netlfix yesterday.

I thought it has been excellent so far, binged watched the first 5 episodes.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline gwto

• Main Stander
  • "Game Well and Truly Over, and I hate saying that"
Re: Master of None - Netflix
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »
I finished it yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I think he's guilty of overacting at times, but I really enjoyed the dialogue, and his treatment of (1) life in NYC, and (2) the 1st generation American (ie. child of immigrants) experience.  Let me know what you think once you finish it.  :wave

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2015, 10:19:34 am »
Mentioned it here http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=277896.0 Great show, some of the best I've seen on "TV" this year. Episode 9 (Mornings) the best of the bunch.

Great dialogue, nice characters (Dev's dad!), off-beat and quirky. It's almost too charming but they really pull it off. The "feminism" episode was really good as well, can't be easy to tackle that subject in the US on a major network, but they did it really well. At its best it reminds me of Linklater's Before Sunset films. 5/5
« Last Edit: November 9, 2015, 04:18:39 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2015, 11:25:11 am »
Loved it. Great dialogue, funny, but not over the top.

Some really nice underlying themes throughout each of the episodes.

Binged watched in on Netflix in a couple of days.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2015, 04:02:41 pm »
Yeah I really enjoyed this too. Watched it all over the weekend and thought it was great. Its subtle but plenty of very funny moments and its very relatable with lots of important messages behind it that you dont see enough on TV. Would definitely recommend it.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »
Only seen the first two episodes, but really liking it. Thought "Parents" was phenomenal.
Justice For The 96

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »
Not a big Aziz fan but came for Eric Wareheim. Liking the show thusfar, its Louie-esque but without the darker aspects, which you'd expect given the personality differences comedically between them.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:21 am »
Not a big Aziz fan but came for Eric Wareheim. Liking the show thusfar, its Louie-esque but without the darker aspects, which you'd expect given the personality differences comedically between them.

Don't really see the Louis resemblance. Louis is social-realist in style and quite cynical, MoN is romantic as hell. Louis is very TV, but MoN is very filmic (aspect ratio, tracking shots, warm colours). Of course Louis is doing stand-up, Aziz doesn't. Louis episodes are quite open-ended, but MoN are more strict in narrative. Also, Louis is just a fat dude joking about shit and cum. Sorry, don't like Louis CK.  ;D

Edit: The most striking difference must be the fact that Master of None has a whole episode about feminist critique, identifying various issues of harassment towards women, while Louis in one episode is stalking a female cashier from the grocery store to her home!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:02:08 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline gwto

• Main Stander
  • "Game Well and Truly Over, and I hate saying that"
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:56 pm »
Also, Louis is just a fat dude joking about shit and cum. Sorry, don't like Louis CK;D

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »
I guess my view of the resemblance is the subtlety of the humor mixed with minutiae of life, setting as a big part of the show, emotional draw of the characters, social conscious worked in, etc. Just finished last night, loved the finale.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »
Watched 2 eps, thought it was garbage meself
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 08:13:31 pm »
I'm on episode 6 now and can't work out if I like it or not. I can't stand the lesbian friend - one of the least likeable characters on TV ever. Aziz himself kind of irritates me as well. But there's something watchable about it.

Louis CK is in a different league btw.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
I liked it. Found it very funny at times and liked the issues it deal with. ^^Ditto on the lesbian friend. Eric Wareheim is lovely.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 03:55:06 pm »
I like it
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »
Having seen one episode of Fresh Off the Boat and hated it, I'd be interested to see how Aziz tackles the topic. Really keen for this.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25:22 am »
Having seen one episode of Fresh Off the Boat and hated it,

Managed 4 episodes of that.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 03:24:58 pm »
Finished it last night. Thought it was good and stepped up as the season moved on.

Didn't have a problem with the lesbian friend, surprised people disliked her.

Will be interesting to see if they go for a second season.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 09:33:18 am »
I thought Fresh off the Boat was fantastic. This is what happens when White people don't broach subjects that they have zero understanding about. You get a decent product that doesn't piss everyone off with thinly veiled xenophobia.

I finished Master of None. Thought it was average but it'll get renewed so let's see how it goes from there I suppose.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #18 on: December 3, 2015, 09:18:53 pm »
Really enjoyed this, it got better with episode, Nashville , the feminist one, the 2 Indian guys in one tv show and the seniors eps all good. Like the way it forms as it develops and his way with women! Just on episode 9 now, glad to have watched this when the kids are out:) :) sure Aziz is going to be a big star in the next decade.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2015, 09:03:07 am »
Watched 8 episodes so far. Definitely one of the best comedies on TV. I can see why some have compared it to Louie, which is definitely an influence. But this is a lot less cynical and misanthropic.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2015, 11:33:31 am »
I finished it yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I think he's guilty of overacting at times, but I really enjoyed the dialogue, and his treatment of (1) life in NYC, and (2) the 1st generation American (ie. child of immigrants) experience.  Let me know what you think once you finish it.  :wave

Sorry forgot to get back to you

Absolutely loved it, hope there is another season.

It just seems "real" for lack of a better word.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 12:26:42 pm »
Bit late, but just finished watching this. Thought it was great

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 01:15:22 pm »
Bit late, but just finished watching this. Thought it was great
same. Was pretty short so got through it in a day a couple days ago. looking forward to s2
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
Think S2 has already been filmed, judging by Aziz Ansari's Instagram. Hopefully we will see that early 2017!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 11:25:07 am »
Damn it. I thought it was a bump saying season 2 is about to get released.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
Season 2 is out now. It's been getting really good reviews.

Watched the first episode, thought it was great.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 03:13:04 pm »
Watched five episodes. Really enjoyable. Doing interesting and unusual stuff - I Love New York in particular.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
Series two opening looks like it was filmed in lo-Def vhs or somethin? Does the picture improve or is my tv bust?
Really looking forward to getting stuck into this. On a similar tip to LOVE which was also excellent.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 08:46:49 am »
didnt make it through season 1 due to finding Aziz Ansari annoying as fuck.....might dip my toe in again and see if my tolerance levels have shifted...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 02:05:44 pm »
Series two opening looks like it was filmed in lo-Def vhs or somethin? Does the picture improve or is my tv bust?
Really looking forward to getting stuck into this. On a similar tip to LOVE which was also excellent.

They seem to be playing around with formats, colour and sound for dramatic effect.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 07:14:05 pm »
Why do people have to fuck simple stuff up for artistic effect? It's a tv show not an installation at the Tate.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
Why do people have to fuck simple stuff up for artistic effect? It's a tv show not an installation at the Tate.

What do you mean by 'fuck up'?

The black and white is a reference to classic Italian cinema. There's a shot of him sitting down with the bot after his phone's been stolen that refers to The Bicycle Thief:

It's about Italy as a romantic fantasy - pasta, bicycles, romance, beautiful women.

Edit - good article here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/05/12/master_of_none_s_references_to_italian_movies_a_guide.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:04:52 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 08:21:53 pm »
Ive just seen ep 6 called I love new york.

its so good.

the regular cast were barely even in the episode itself

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 08:29:50 pm »
Love this show, just finished ep 8 'Thanksgiving' incredible tv, that and Ep 6 were some of the best stuff I've seen for a while. Impressive from Aziz and co.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 10:27:15 pm »
What do you mean by 'fuck up'?

The black and white is a reference to classic Italian cinema. There's a shot of him sitting down with the bot after his phone's been stolen that refers to The Bicycle Thief:

It's about Italy as a romantic fantasy - pasta, bicycles, romance, beautiful women.

Edit - good article here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/05/12/master_of_none_s_references_to_italian_movies_a_guide.html

I haven't seen beyond the meal in the restaurant in episode One season two, just because the picture looks wrong and fuzzy. I am all for a homage to Italian cinema, just give me a clear picture. I will try again this week , maybe my Netflix playing up.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 10:53:18 am »
Gah, just wrote about this show in the TV thread not seeing this one. In short, it's the best thing out there in my view.

I haven't seen beyond the meal in the restaurant in episode One season two, just because the picture looks wrong and fuzzy. I am all for a homage to Italian cinema, just give me a clear picture. I will try again this week , maybe my Netflix playing up.

Something's wrong with your TV or Netflix then, or your internet connection.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 11:33:31 pm »
Season 2 is wonderfull!!.......each epidode has it own distinctive style and they all fit togehter......I dont want to give anything away , but it feels like Woody Allen Annie Hall era meets Sienfeld ( but not as brash)..best thing Ive watched this year

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
Very good show after a rocky start to the season, but fucking hell some of the actors in it were brutal. I know his parents are his real parents and that's kinda cute, but there's about four or five other people who show up who have just clearly never acted before.

Besides that minor grumble, it's a lot of fun. I like the Netflix model of "have some money, go make your show, give it to us when it's ready" compared to the big networks constant interference.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 05:05:12 am »
His cousin is terrible
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 06:02:01 am »
I can't speak to the show...but, tv is art. Some of the best art made in recent times have been tv shows.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"