Author Topic: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)  (Read 64150 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:02 am »
For me it was...

Spoiler
...about empathy. A psychopath feels no empathy. So how could Lester understand the little act of consideration?
[close]

Last episode.

Spoiler
Fantastic little moment where the deputy does her own little Blade Runner-style "Voigt Kampff" test on Lester (train platform, gloves, and so forth).
[close]

Are you listening to 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' on Radio 4?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2014, 11:24:22 am »
Almost decided to skip this show, glad I didn't. Good nods to the film (which I liked but not as huge a fan of as others seem to be), creating that same atmosphere and love of the... eccentric figures and the normal ones, without being so wrapped up that it became a copy. Got good atmosphere, good setpeices
Spoiler
That killing spree in an FBI watched building was brilliant
[close]
, I loved the mix of the normal people and those that were more stand out,  Billy Bob Thornton was compelling to watch and a real stand out with his clever delivery, strong story that juggled itself well.

Spoiler
Gus getting away with it did feel a off note, the man committed murder and nobody in the police force is querying this? Felt a bit too happy ending.
[close]

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2014, 12:37:29 pm »
Along with True Detective this has been the TV highlight of the year.....superb telly from start to finish
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »
Gutted it's finished. Finale felt a bit weaker than other episodes as they had to fit so much in and still didn't explain a lot.

Haven't seen the film so it's now on the way!
XBL: Flash6289

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2014, 09:01:33 pm »
Spoiler
Old Nick is surely not too young  :)
[close]
Doesn't he mention being in the Garden of Eden at one point?

Malvo is truly badass.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2014, 03:35:08 am »
watched the movie last night.  watched it way back when it was released and remember enjoying it but had completely forgotten everything about it except "yah?  yah!" etc.

a nice wander down memory lane, and suddenly all the little nods in the series become clear.   the movie is much better though, for whatever that's worth; i realise it's nonsense to compare two different media like that, but internal coherence is relevant no matter the artform, and the series is severely lacking.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: July 1, 2014, 12:13:27 pm »
Last episode.

Spoiler
Fantastic little moment where the deputy does her own little Blade Runner-style "Voigt Kampff" test on Lester (train platform, gloves, and so forth).
[close]

Great. Show. Thanks for that. Nice insight. What was the cabbage, fox,  rabbit thing about?

Ahh - just reading the thread back now.

Spoiler
I was a bit underwhelmed by the last episode, if I'm being honest. I know it wanted to wrap everything up given we won't see these characters again, but even so.

My biggest gripe: Shouldn't Gus be on a murder charge now?  He can't claim self-defence/stand your ground when he broke into Malvo's cabin, waited there and shot someone clearly badly injured.
Unless Chief Bill was working on one last case - 'Yep, clearly suicide to me. Let's have a drink to celebrate'.

And Martin Freeman got to answer his Office Training Day question about the Fox/Chicken/Cabbage (well, bag of corn in the original)  :D

Still, a tremendous series, and Freeman, BBT, and Alison Tollman deserve all the awards heading their way.

[close]
« Last Edit: July 1, 2014, 12:19:29 pm by kavah »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 9, 2014, 06:57:12 am »
Last episode.

Spoiler
[close]
Was just about to post what that meant. Fuck I'm a replicant!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 9, 2014, 05:28:16 pm »
this should turn up frequently in match threads next season...

Spoiler

[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2014, 07:29:21 pm »
As expected, FX has ordered a new season of "Fargo." And, as expected, it'll follow the "American Horror Story"/"True Detective" model of starting over from scratch.

Per FX's announcement this morning at the Television Critics Association press tour, "The new chapter of the 'Fargo' story will feature an all-new cast of characters, a new time period and a new 'true crime' story that will unfold over the course of 10 episodes."

One aspect of the acclaimed original season that won't change: Noah Hawley, who wrote all 10 episodes of season 1 — and who did a remarkable job of evoking the work of the Coen brothers without seeming like a bad imitator — will remain in charge of the show.

Many viewers had speculated that a second season would deal with the Sioux Falls case from the late '70s that Keith Carradine's character, Lou Solverson, kept alluding to. The mention of a new time period supports that theory, though the "all-new cast of characters" does not. For what it's worth, Hawley has been very cagey about the idea of a Sioux Falls season both times I've asked him.

But with such a terrific first season — and one that drew 18 Emmy nominations — I'm ready to trust Hawley on whatever he tries to do next with this world.

UPDATE: FX's John Landgraf said that the earliest the new "Fargo" season could debut would be fall of 2015, and that there will be "an all-new cast of actors," rather than taking the "American Horror Story" approach of recycling actors in new roles. There will be a panel later today with Hawley and producer Warren Littlefield, so we'll have more detail then.

Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/fx-orders-fargo-season-2-featuring-new-setting-new-characters
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »
billy bob reminds me of mulligan o'hare

watched the first two and it's decent
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:15 pm »
Anyone highlighted the Tim/Gareth scene from the office about getting the chicken and fox across the river?

Kept thinking during the Fargo scene 'Blood bath' ;D

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »
Didn't think much of the film having watched this.  :-\
XBL: Flash6289

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:04 am »
Oh, real nice. Saw the first episode last night and it's real, real nice.

I lived a year in northern Minnesota and for me it's worth it for that in itself, let alone the great acting by Martin Freeman, the script and everything else. There's something special with rural and very cold places. You wonder why anyone would desire to live there.

It's quite remarkable that even half of these events actually happened. Then again, "based on" can mean a lot of things.

Loved the film to bits and it's by far the best from the brothers in my opinion. Can't wait to watch the rest of the series! You betcha!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 2, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »
The first episode or two of the series I think is brilliant five star stuff...

Spoiler
but then it goes haywire. And from there it gets really messed up in episode 6. All stab and everyone dies like they hired Tarantino or the writers from the Saw films. It just didn't fit in to the mood of the first few episodes. It's too over the top and they sold out in some regards in my opinion. It's as if they couldn't keep the psychological tensions and reverted to brutal violance. It just looked cheap and I think it was disappointing.

It's still a very good show in my opinion but in episode 7 when Malvo goes on a killing spree in the office it's like they're killing a lot that was good about the show and just turns to sensationalist action. We already knew that Malvo was a deranged psychopath; why not explore his person as opposed to this action-horror Hollywood stuff?
[close]
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #215 on: October 2, 2014, 03:26:15 pm »
The first episode or two of the series I think is brilliant five star stuff...

But Episode 6 is Buridan's Ass.  That was the best episode of tv this year.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #216 on: October 2, 2014, 03:30:09 pm »
Aces!

Any idea when series 2 will be on our televisual screens?

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 2, 2014, 03:31:21 pm »
But Episode 6 is Buridan's Ass.  That was the best episode of tv this year.

Care to add reasoning to that, or respond to my comments?  :)

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #218 on: October 2, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »
Care to add reasoning to that, or respond to my comments?  :)

Not really. As Mark Kermode would say, I'm right and you're wrong.   :P

Spoiler
It's this episode that made me feel for characters who I previously hadn't. It's easy to love Molly - she's, well, Aces. But for the idiot gym instructor friend of Malvo, trussed up in a chair, waiting for his doom? And Lester's hard-ass brother, about to get royally shafted? Not so easy. This episode manages that.  Gus is too timid to be natural police - he's trying to be a proper cop, to do the right thing, - but now he's responsible for shooting Molly? That's tough.

The shootout between the two guys from Fargo and Malvo is pretty much tonally in line with Coens film.
The well-laid plans of the bad guys are falling into place. Characters depth is being added (Lester's well-plotted malevolence) at the same time that the plot is moving on and the tension is rising. That's the sign of great writing and directing.
I actually shouted out 'Nooo!!' at the end. Can't remember doing that before to a TV show. 

Comparing it to the writing in Saw is honestly one of the most asinine comparisons I've heard.

[close]

Not that Emmy Awards are a great indication, but this episode got the prize for best direction too.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 2, 2014, 05:48:18 pm »
Not really. As Mark Kermode would say, I'm right and you're wrong.   :P

Spoiler
It's this episode that made me feel for characters who I previously hadn't. It's easy to love Molly - she's, well, Aces. But for the idiot gym instructor friend of Malvo, trussed up in a chair, waiting for his doom? And Lester's hard-ass brother, about to get royally shafted? Not so easy. This episode manages that.  Gus is too timid to be natural police - he's trying to be a proper cop, to do the right thing, - but now he's responsible for shooting Molly? That's tough.

The shootout between the two guys from Fargo and Malvo is pretty much tonally in line with Coens film.
The well-laid plans of the bad guys are falling into place. Characters depth is being added (Lester's well-plotted malevolence) at the same time that the plot is moving on and the tension is rising. That's the sign of great writing and directing.
I actually shouted out 'Nooo!!' at the end. Can't remember doing that before to a TV show. 

Comparing it to the writing in Saw is honestly one of the most asinine comparisons I've heard.

[close]

Not that Emmy Awards are a great indication, but this episode got the prize for best direction too.

Spoiler
I agree that Lester's scheme really moves the story forward and ads depth to his character, and later even more so when he visits Sam Hess' wife. But the bloated action stuff doesn't speak to me, and if anything, lessens the dramatic impact the initial killings had; it really inflates the currency of the drama when it makes such malevolence and absurdity commonplace.

And how is the comparison to Saw not relevant? The guy taped to the exercise machine is exactly the kind of doomed dilemma they run over and over in those films. Tacky and sensationalist. To each his own, I guess.
[close]

Offline Fredo C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: October 2, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »
Oh, real nice. Saw the first episode last night and it's real, real nice.

I lived a year in northern Minnesota and for me it's worth it for that in itself, let alone the great acting by Martin Freeman, the script and everything else. There's something special with rural and very cold places. You wonder why anyone would desire to live there.

It's quite remarkable that even half of these events actually happened. Then again, "based on" can mean a lot of things.

Loved the film to bits and it's by far the best from the brothers in my opinion. Can't wait to watch the rest of the series! You betcha!

None of it happened. The Coen brothers also opened their film with the words "This is a true story", but only to give a more "real" feel to it. The series do the same.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 3, 2014, 01:36:07 am »
None of it happened. The Coen brothers also opened their film with the words "This is a true story", but only to give a more "real" feel to it. The series do the same.

Yeah, I read that the other day, that it's 100% fictional. The film actually seem plausible, stranger than fiction and all that.

Offline Isbloated

• TYPED "CHOLO" BECAUSE HE CANNOT SPELL "DIEGO SIMEONE!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #222 on: October 3, 2014, 01:57:24 am »
I thought the first season was excellent will be interesting to see if the second season is just as good.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #223 on: October 4, 2014, 07:33:08 pm »
Started this last night.

Was trepidatious abut this when I heard it was getting made as I thought this could go bad...an exaggerated version of the film.

Shouldn't have been. Really enjoyed the two eps I watched...it's got a a really nice Twin Peaks vibe about it....I thought so anyway.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #224 on: October 4, 2014, 09:10:44 pm »
This, True Detective and Boardwalk's ongoing swansong - TV highlights of the year....which I cant type without singing the Harry Hill jingle  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #225 on: October 5, 2014, 08:23:39 am »

Started this last night.

Was trepidatious abut this when I heard it was getting made as I thought this could go bad...an exaggerated version of the film.

Shouldn't have been. Really enjoyed the two eps I watched...it's got a a really nice Twin Peaks vibe about it....I thought so anyway.

You'll end up loving it mate. I was cautious enough to begin with too but couldn't get enough of it after the first couple of episodes.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
So Landry Clarke and Kirsten Dunst for season 2, chuffed for Todd.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:02 pm »
So Landry Clarke and Kirsten Dunst for season 2, chuffed for Todd.

Plemons is real good actor. Not gone on Kirsten Dunst, just dont really like her.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »
I think Dunst is a cracking actress, she was phenomenal in Melancholia, but I'm not sure she's a good fit for Fargo.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
Didn't think much of Plemons as Landry but he was very good as Todd. He had his moments in the former but more often than not, he did my head in.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »
I think Dunst is a cracking actress, she was phenomenal in Melancholia, but I'm not sure she's a good fit for Fargo.

That's why I'm excited about this, and True Detective too.  A few castings where you think nah, not at that level but I'm looking forward to seeing a few surprise us.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »
It will be pretty impressive if they back up the first series with another great series. No Billy Bob is a big loss.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »
It will be pretty impressive if they back up the first series with another great series. No Billy Bob is a big loss.

Billy Bob was great, but IMO it was the force of the ensemble that made the first season so fantastic. Without the likes of Carradine, Platt, Key and Peele, Odenkirk, etc. you've just got a more comedically-inclined True Detective starring Billy Bob and Freeman instead of McConaughey and Harrelson. I know everyone raved about TD, but I thought Fargo was miles better. Hopefully they can assemble a similarly talented and eclectic cast for the second season. Probably a much tougher ask than what True Detective has in front of it, but I hope they can pull it off.
Justice For The 96

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #233 on: January 2, 2015, 03:08:36 pm »
I've just watched the first 2 episodes of this, it's decent.

I can't be the only one who pissed meself after Lester runs against the fucking wall?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:16 pm »
Just announced that season 2 will serve as a sort-of prequel to season 1. Set in '79 and will have to do with the Sioux Falls case. Also mentioned that Ronald Reagan will be a supporting character as the season will take place during his first campaign for President.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/fargo-season-two-ronald-reagan.html?mid=imdb
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:12 pm »
can't remember where, but i read that ted danson is going to be in the next series.  might be imagining it though.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2015, 12:50:26 pm »
can't remember where, but i read that ted danson is going to be in the next series.  might be imagining it though.

Correct. Nick Offerman was confirmed too!

Patrick Wilson will be playing Lou Solverson, who is presumably the lead.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »
Correct. Nick Offerman was confirmed too!

Excellent choice. He was born to play a Minnesotan. Please and thank you.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:43 pm »
Excellent choice. He was born to play a Minnesotan. Please and thank you.

He was born to play the character he's been playing for the past 7 years, but I agree it's an excellent casting decision.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2015, 11:48:13 am »
Nick Offerman? FFS, I can't take him seriously after witnessing him on Parks.  :D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.