Author Topic: Edge of Terminator. Live, Die, Repeat.  (Read 56396 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Terminator 5. Arnie Returns!
« Reply #400 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:31 am »
It's gone from "I'll be back" to will he ever go away?

PS: Macphisto, I realise you're referring to a human Arnie, but it got me thinking - if they could reprogram one Terminator then why couldn't they reprogram more?  How hard would it be to cripple and capture Terminators, and reprogram them to fight against Skynet?  You could throw a whole fecking army of them out by the end.

Because that'd pretty much finish the war and they couldn't make any more films ;)

Not sure this sort of film is the type to really look at continuity errors and what they should have done, its a bit like Jurassic Park or the Matrix. Cos dinosaurs, cos reasons, cos killer robots, cos time travel etc. If you're looking for it to be realistic you're probably gonna be disappointed. A bit like the old 'why didn't they just use the eagles to fly the ring to Mount Doom?'.

But the machines are meant to be self aware, right? So if they managed to reprogram one, I'd guess they'd then be aware of that happening and make certain changes to ensure it didn't happen again?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2017, 11:44:56 am »
Because that'd pretty much finish the war and they couldn't make any more films ;)

Not sure this sort of film is the type to really look at continuity errors and what they should have done, its a bit like Jurassic Park or the Matrix. Cos dinosaurs, cos reasons, cos killer robots, cos time travel etc. If you're looking for it to be realistic you're probably gonna be disappointed. A bit like the old 'why didn't they just use the eagles to fly the ring to Mount Doom?'.

But the machines are meant to be self aware, right? So if they managed to reprogram one, I'd guess they'd then be aware of that happening and make certain changes to ensure it didn't happen again?

Except that it does happen again.  Several times in fact. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: May 21, 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
Except that it does happen again.  Several times in fact. ;)

Maybe they're not that fussed about one being reprogramed because they normally end up terminating themselves anyway ;)

They do lack realism though, these bloody films about terminators being sent back in time to terminate various different incarnations of the person who they're currently fighting in a war vs the humans.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:08 pm »

They do lack realism though..

No more than films involving armies of elves and goblins and magical wizards or spacecraft with weapons that somehow manage to make an audible noise in the vacuum of space....

It's all just escapist fantasy and they should be enjoyed as just that, nothing more.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »
No more than films involving armies of elves and goblins and magical wizards or spacecraft with weapons that somehow manage to make an audible noise in the vacuum of space....

It's all just escapist fantasy and they should be enjoyed as just that, nothing more.

Aye I know, that was my point ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #405 on: May 21, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »

;D

It's entertaining, and I myself do find most of these films preposterous and requiring tremendous levels of suspension of disbelief and critical faculties for them to work, but I do find it funny when people seriously argue over, for instance, whether one type of light sabre is more powerfull than another...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »
Arnie coming back could work. But not as a T-800. Unfortunately for the idea that I had for that sort of return has been tainted by virtue that shite like Terminator Salvation exists. I say this because it would have been a decent idea to have Arnie part of the human resistance in the future war. It would have been a nice spin on his presence in the films in the same way T2 switched him up to be the good cyborg. He could have been a very high priority target for Skynet, like a commander for the resistance in a European faction. Why the Terminator universe just has to exist only in America when Judgement Day is a global extinction event is beyond me. Tell a story of Skynet hunting and terminating factions of the resistance. Arnie just so happens to be leading one. He gets captured. He gets tortured. Skynet learns from him. They model the T-800 after him, albeit a modified younger version. The events of T1 take place. It's a full circle. Everyone's happy. But nooooo...

I think I may have said all this before. I dunno. Deja veux, maybe? A bit like these films.
It's a fine idea in principle, one that attempts to explain a number of odd details about the original models (the default foreign accent, and the fact that Schwarzenegger in his prime hardly looked like the sort of average joe who wouldn't attract loads of attention when walking into a room!), but unfortunately it's another one that works best with a young Arnie.

The whole point of the terminators being convincingly-human-on-the-outside cyborgs is that they were primarily infiltration units. Espionage and assassination missions could not be carried out effectively by Skynet's brute-force machines, so as much success as they would've previously had simply wiping out pockets of the resistance with basic deathbringer robots - who could feasibly look like absolutely anything, probably designed by intuitive AI to be as streamlined and efficient in use of materials in their construction (or maybe even just wholesale 3D printing, hah!) as is possible to acheive - they required another strategy to pinpoint and surgically eradicate the most influential strategists of the resistance. Humans would be adapting by necessity, as more and more of us were defeated we'd need to be clever and sneaky for there to be any resistance left at all after a few months, but the machines would be adapting constantly to maintain optimum efficiency of their operations no matter how well things were going for them, calculating the resource cost and predicted strategic benefit of each action. This is how I think humans would keep chipping away and having a ghost of a chance of ultimate victory, because we'd be desperately throwing everything we could possibly muster at them to prevent our extinction, whereas Skynet would often unemotionally fold a winning hand if it deduced that it would be a waste of materials for relatively little gain, and suddenly focus its attention elsewhere - this would result in loads of near-misses, grasping victory from the jaws of potentially disastrous defeat, and thus coming away with loads of experienced survivors and a massive morale boost. Skynet's not really that arsed about these things; the self-assurance that comes from experience and strong morale for humans would be just a curiously intangible alien concept to factor into its logical workings out, and it likely wouldn't give it much weight until it looked like the humans were defying the odds and turning the tide. Then, when the probability of its failure to exterminate the most awkward and uncooperative vestiges of humanity appears to increase with these pretty abstract emotional variables, Skynet figures it needs to change tack, take a more complex 'organic' approach...

This is where Arnie's European resistance commander comes in. He's young, smart without having an impractical book-learning academic air about him, an utterly amazing & imposing physical specimen, and extraordinarily charismatic to boot - he's our very own John Connor in the European theatre, before Connor has even hit his own stride over in what used to be the States. He's survived and led countless of those incidents where we appeared to have pushed Skynet back (really partly through Skynet deciding to pull back), he's a messiah to us, iconic - everyone within broadcast range in the European threatre and beyond recognises his square-jawed steely expression, his ubermensch physique, that reassuringly calm and stoical Austrian accent, the laconic humour. Skynet earmark him as a human of note, seeking to learn something from the network of neurons in his organic brain and the practical applications of the organic form. It has countless live meatsacks to experiment on (that could be a particularly horrific scene, with obvious coldhearted nazi laboratory connotations), and has already learnt much of use in cultivating outwardly convincing cybernetic organisms, but it's aware from tests performed in the field that people are not so easily fooled by simply a human physical appearance - the true efficacy of such a resource-heavy intelligence-gathering and weakness-exposing infiltration tool will be borne out in a model that can exploit the human trait of implicit, conditioned trust. The finished unit needs to be able to command unusual authority, and engender an unconscious disarming effect on sight, bring their guard down sufficiently to build an intimate knowledge base and strike at their very heart. A previous Skynet would've simply disposed of this commander efficiently and without fuss, but the increasingly-sly build (as it develops a more complex understanding of how we work in these dire circumstances!) knows it has more to gain from keeping him alive, studying him and replicating him as closely as it can.

Word of these basic infiltration units is spreading, but they're all anonymous grunts who seem more than a bit 'off'. The first deployments of the early Arnie model are unprecedented successes though, as its far more complex grasp of human impersonation enables access so deep within resistence cells that intel is more or less handed to it, and it then leaves no survivors to tell tales. Eventually, humans do become aware of the deception, but not before the European resistance is all but deleted thanks to these deep insertions and the vital intelligence they reap. Skynet basically spammed the Arnie move, and the humans got so salty that many of them ragequit life, and the ones that didn't could never again open their hearts to fully trust big muscly Teutonic dudes wearing shades and casually carrying miniguns.

It is then that these numerous Arnie models on the construction line are utilised in yet more imaginative ways, with perhaps the metal endoskeletons that don't pass quality control standards being put to good use as the now-classic humanoid skeletal robot ground troops, rather needlessly cinematically crushing skulls underfoot. The American resistance under Connor, and with Reese in tow, is making real headway at this time though, and has now accomplished a miraculous breakthrough at the very heart of the enemy. As Skynet finally manages to self-develop and perfect technology that can rip and manipulate the spacetime continuum, effectively setting about creating new advantageous timelines from a certain fixed point in the past (and probably understanding the paradoxical nature of it all, and how these fractally-branching multiverses interact with one another better - logically speaking - than we could ever hope to), they decide 'fuck it' and just throw the dice, launching the most unprecedented phase of war, on an entirely uncharted new frontier. And so with the end of gentlemanly sportsmanship, the story proper begins...

An elder grizzled Arnie could possibly be the escaped original European commander, suffering the effects of vastly accelerated aging after all the various tests the machines had performed on him; Skynet has cut him open, taken biopsies of his organs, probed his brain, clinically exposed him to strange new battlefield toxins, everything but actually kill him, as it benefitted Skynet most to keep this individual specimen alive so far after all the productive work conducted from him. It's no big deal really to Skynet though if he gets away somehow now, when its priorities and resources are logically focused elsewhere, with the American front looking increasingly in the balance, and with his practical usefulness as a military research subject declining along with his physical health. He's probably riddled with all kinds of cancers, but he's a tough sumbitch. It would only really be a cameo from the Arnie of now, but his character would be wracked with guilt over how he had involuntarilty aided the deception and extermination of so many of his people, and would only be kept going through an intense desire to avenge them and somehow make amends. Most of his story would require a young, fit Arnie in his prime, as that's the model of the first Terminators, who are the most fit for their purpose in the field of deadly espionage at that time, until the 'mimetic polyalloy' versions are ready to go, fresh out the oven.

That's how I'd envision it all anyway, a human drama set mainly during these most intense periods of the post-Judgment Day resistance. The devil is in the detail, of course, and tying it all intricately to the first two films would be my priority, perhaps with small plot/character elements of 3 and Salvation thrown in here and there, and the rest discarded, rebooted to an extent. I can't even recall much of what went on in Salvation, but I do remember that vision of the postapocalyptic resistance era being pretty rubbish in purely cinematic terms, and not well thought-out at all either. There are so many sound ideas floating about to try to explain why both the Arnie model and the T-1000 have their default look and voice, what's going on among the survivors of the nukes elsewhere in the world, the central premise of Skynet being incredibly sophisticated and clever but far from infallible in its thinking, and so on, but these things never really get fully explored in the official media. Skynet often seems pretty schizophrenic, which does make sense - it might well be constantly doubting its own motives and conclusions, and knowingly performing self-defeating, self-destructive actions; self-awareness brings with it a hell of a lot of complicated internal shit. I just wish we could have a properly deep, mature, truly intelligent examination of all this fantastic lore and intriguing cosmic inticacies the tale contains, itsead of just increasingly gimmicky convolutions.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »
They should put this to bed. I'd much rather see a sequel, or prequel to District 9.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: May 21, 2017, 11:36:45 pm »
It was set in the US because the US Government invented Skynet and it was US missiles (followed by Russian retaliation) that brought about Judgment Day. Obviously now that we know what's possible in 2017, Skynet could just be living in the cloud, but that's why the series was always based in America.

Arnold's character existed in a few books, largely what has already been written here except he was a CIA agent. And American.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #409 on: May 22, 2017, 12:17:12 am »
It was set in the US because the US Government invented Skynet and it was US missiles (followed by Russian retaliation) that brought about Judgment Day. Obviously now that we know what's possible in 2017, Skynet could just be living in the cloud, but that's why the series was always based in America.
I understand why and don't mind that it has a purely American focus, but just like with zombie apocalypse stuff, I'm always interested to know what's going on in the rest of the world. John Connor operates on the American front, so that's naturally where most of the real meaty paradoxical story stuff occurs, but the battle is humanity vs the machines, and the superstar synonymous with the series is himself a foreigner.

Arnold's character existed in a few books, largely what has already been written here except he was a CIA agent. And American.
Well that's fucking annoying - an American CIA agent needlessy built like a brick shithouse, with an unexplained Austrian accent? Was he a naturalised citizen rather than a native? Or had he suffered a stroke early in life or something? These are exactly the little niggling things that you have licence to expand upon in a book!! What twat wrote those, he wants stabbing

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 27, 2017, 03:28:04 am »
So rumours going around this new Terminator will tie up everything that's happened in the previous 5 films as well as start a new storyline not involving the Connors.  ??? it could work but that would mean this new film being good.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #411 on: May 27, 2017, 09:24:51 am »
So rumours going around this new Terminator will tie up everything that's happened in the previous 5 films as well as start a new storyline not involving the Connors.  ??? it could work but that would mean this new film being good.

I watched the first two Terminator films again recently. It only further reinforced how tragic the rest have been.

Just knock it on the head lads.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2017, 09:40:41 am »

The Star Trek reboot approach of a new continuity would be the only way to tie up the previous messes.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
It's easier to do it in one sense with Terminator, because the entire premise revolves around the creation of new altered timelines branching off from the actions of the time travellers. A 'clean reboot' is unnecessary when you have an in-built narrative mechanism rebooting the coming (implied inevitable) events from within the story itself - a 'dirty reboot', if you will.

Of course, on the other hand it's also harder to do it with any feeling of artistic legitimacy, because every single chapter so far has been built upon the battle of the Connors & friends vs Skynet - these are not just established characters, they're ingrained - and deleting them and beginning a fresh rolling soap opera with constantly-recycling characters smells very much like just milking a cash cow, to everyone in the room.

You could do it brilliantly, intelligently releasing the story from the shackles of our expectations and demands around the treatment of John & Sarah Connor, Kyle Reese, etc. Explore the multiversal aspects of what exactly Skynet thinks it's trying to achieve sending these one-job assassins back - presuming what it's exploiting is an infinite intersection rather than an infinite loop (because what would be the practical point of that? Other than a cool impossible story quirk), can it access these other 'dimensions' that turned out in their favour somehow? There will be infinite universes where events transpired to give Skynet a dead easy win over humanity, infinite universes where humanity came out on top; infinite universes where Judgment Day never actually occurred, infinite universes where Skynet never comes into being, and so on and so forth. Does artificially 'engineering' the creation of some of these infinitely branching universes massively benefit Skynet in some way in 'our' timeline, considering that in lots of dimensions it would've won regardless, because any event remotely possible down to the ultimate infinitesimal level of space and time has happened in at least one universe, with all its individually-splattered Butterfly Effect corollaries? Is Skynet incomprehensibly smart, or just plain fucking crazy, with no real grasp of what it's messing about with... or does it have fair understanding but just a nihilistic, whatever attitude? Is it too inquisitive to resist a path of ultimate self-destruction, does it take masochistic delight in the challenge humans pose it, does it even really want the war to ever be over?

Aside from all that lovely sci-fi workings-out wankery, you have the opportunity of introducing compelling, convincing new personalities who aren't there just to fill an established-character-shaped hole, and all that. But the hard task is to convince the moneychasers to invest in and more or less hand over the entire project to the sorts of writers and visual artists who will nurture something so valuable. More likely we'll be off jumping liquid-metal sharks before the Bio-Flesh Regenerator mould has even set.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2017, 01:35:36 am »
Don't even think Cameron can save it. He's not made anything of note for 20 years. Will be a further driving into the ground of a once great franchise. Aliens, Predator, Robocop, even Batman .... sad really. I don't consider these new reboots canon anyway.

Awful PG12 cash ins.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:35 am »
The Star Trek reboot approach of a new continuity would be the only way to tie up the previous messes.

You can't re-cast a peak Arnie though. There's simply no action stars of that quality around. Star Trek was a cheesy 60s TV show, many actors could portray a Shatner, Nimoy etc.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 29, 2017, 07:07:38 am »
You can't re-cast a peak Arnie though. There's simply no action stars of that quality around. Star Trek was a cheesy 60s TV show, many actors could portray a Shatner, Nimoy etc.
What about Dwayne Johnson?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:10 am »
What about Dwayne Johnson?

Good shout.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 29, 2017, 11:38:25 am »
Good shout.
Now this is coming from someone who hasn't watched any Terminator movie since T3 (which I hated). I think Dwayne could do a good job as an Arnie replacement in a future movie, not sure what the storyline or anything could be as I believe it's all gone fucking weird since T2 but he at least has the physique of a terminator and the star power to draw people in to cinemas.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2017, 12:03:10 pm »
Dwayne fucking Johnson?

He's in his mid-40s, he has massive Dwayne Johnson-baggage in cinema (and the pretend-slapping steroid circus) that Arnie never had when cast as the Terminator... and his name is Dwayne.

Moan about the decline of the property, but then give the all-clear to the one casting that would all but encapsulate the decline of the property, hah okay. Dwayne Johnson would be a fine Terminator in a Wayans Bros parody, that says it all.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:00 pm »
I've got an even better idea: Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel as rival killer cyborgs from the future in Terminators: 2 Furious 4 U.

They love and respec' one another, brother to brother, but they gotta do what they gotta do, as rival killer cyborgs from the future.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:23 pm »
Who do you want then? Which actor in Hollywood has the same physique as Arnie now? You've went on a rant as if Arnie is the pinnacle of acting you mad man. He played a robot with a few catchphrases and your moaning about Dwayne fucking Johnson?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2017, 01:00:50 pm »
Dwayne fucking Johnson?

He's in his mid-40s, he has massive Dwayne Johnson-baggage in cinema (and the pretend-slapping steroid circus) that Arnie never had when cast as the Terminator... and his name is Dwayne.

Moan about the decline of the property, but then give the all-clear to the one casting that would all but encapsulate the decline of the property, hah okay. Dwayne Johnson would be a fine Terminator in a Wayans Bros parody, that says it all.

You're okay with Arnold but not Dwayne?

At the end of the day, Terminator isn't Doctor Who.  Arnold IS The Terminator.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 29, 2017, 01:05:51 pm »
Dwayne fucking Johnson?

I suddenly really want a Terminator parody wit those 2 in it
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #424 on: May 29, 2017, 01:25:08 pm »
Who do you want then? Which actor in Hollywood has the same physique as Arnie now? You've went on a rant as if Arnie is the pinnacle of acting you mad man. He played a robot with a few catchphrases and your moaning about Dwayne fucking Johnson?
I've expressed my personal disapproval because it's obviously a bit of a lazy turd of an idea. I've no idea who I'd 'want' to 'replace' Arnie, most likely no one.

If we must have someone try to step into Arnie's shoes, firstly they don't have to be "in Hollywood", and come with quite that degree of prior baggage. Arnie was not a huge film superstar when he made the role his calling card, so you don't need to replace him with a household name if you're actually trying to do the thing justice.

Secondly, no one has the same physique as young Arnold Schwarzenegger. There are plenty of muscly meatheads lumbering about in the movie industry, but why would that take precedence above all else? If the aim is to replicate Arnie's towering T-800 presence, Dwayne Johnson is no more fit for that purpose than someone younger and less bulky but more able to capture that same spirit without summoning a bunch of jarg film connotations at the very sight of his face.

Also, "He played a robot with a few catchphrases" - it's a properly iconic role that Arnie made his own, but okay.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »
You're okay with Arnold but not Dwayne?
Arnold's a great name!!

It might be somewhat old-fashioned now, but it's a strong forename, a proud fit for your formidable firstborn. Even if it's a girl.

Dwayne is... Dwayne.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »
I've expressed my personal disapproval because it's obviously a bit of a lazy turd of an idea. I've no idea who I'd 'want' to 'replace' Arnie, most likely no one.

If we must have someone try to step into Arnie's shoes, firstly they don't have to be "in Hollywood", and come with quite that degree of prior baggage. Arnie was not a huge film superstar when he made the role his calling card, so you don't need to replace him with a household name if you're actually trying to do the thing justice.

Secondly, no one has the same physique as young Arnold Schwarzenegger. There are plenty of muscly meatheads lumbering about in the movie industry, but why would that take precedence above all else? If the aim is to replicate Arnie's towering T-800 presence, Dwayne Johnson is no more fit for that purpose than someone younger and less bulky but more able to capture that same spirit without summoning a bunch of jarg film connotations at the very sight of his face.

Also, "He played a robot with a few catchphrases" - it's a properly iconic role that Arnie made his own, but okay.
Robert Patrick played the best part out the whole series of movies and he was mostly liquid throughout the movie he was in!

Arnie as Terminator is an iconic role but he's going the right way of destroying it by appearing in these future films when he is old and washed up. As for this mythical baggage Dwayne brings with him to movies your looking at the highest grossing and hardest working actor about at the moment.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2017, 04:33:48 pm »
hardest working actor about at the moment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Johnson_filmography

I'll concede that he's done exceptionally well for himself, considering he's yet to appear in any film worth a shit!  ;D

To juxtapose, Arnie's breakthrough roles in his 30s were first Conan the Barbarian, then The Terminator, Predator, etc. He practically defined an entire era in film. Although no one looks likely to ever match that kind of form again in proper timeless classic action cinema (Harrison Ford has a shout for a different kind of action star, Bruce Willis too I suppose), Dwayne Johnson has plied his trade in the Conference for nigh on 20 years in comparison.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »
I'll concede that he's done exceptionally well for himself, considering he's yet to appear in any film worth a shit!  ;D

Pain & Gain is fucking amazing.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »
Pain & Gain is fucking amazing.
Is it, friend? Is it really?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:32 pm »
Is it, friend? Is it really?

Yup.  But then I really like The Rundown too.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2017, 07:18:20 pm »
I actually can't think of many worse people to be the Terminator than The Rock

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »
Jason Mamoa could pull it off I reckon.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
Arnold's a great name!!

It might be somewhat old-fashioned now, but it's a strong forename, a proud fit for your formidable firstborn. Even if it's a girl.

Dwayne is... Dwayne.

Aliens' Corporal Hicks' first name was Dwayne you philistine.  And it's just as old fashioned as Arnold.  Look at Arnold Rimmer ffs!  ;) ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »

Jason Statham?  :P

Popcorn's Art

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »
He'd be a great rival terminator but not the main terminator.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2017, 12:13:05 am »
Aliens' Corporal Hicks' first name was Dwayne you philistine.  And it's just as old fashioned as Arnold.  Look at Arnold Rimmer ffs!  ;) ;D
It suited Hicks, the blank-eyed dullard. I was glad he got propa mugged off by a facehugger in his sleep

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:57 am »
He'd be a great rival terminator but not the main terminator.
I think he'd be even better as an extra special new kind of terminator who never appears at any point in any terminator films

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
The Terminator doesn't need to be a roid beast to be menacing or imposing. Lance Henriksen was originally supposed to be the T-800 in the original, but ended up being a cop instead.

If a walking mountain of meat is required, then I'd rather some unknown do it, as he wouldn't need to speak much, if at all. Otherwise Batista would be ideal. Not the Rock. Fuck no. I couldn't take his wee peanut head seriously.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
The Terminator doesn't need to be a roid beast to be menacing or imposing. Lance Henriksen was originally supposed to be the T-800 in the original, but ended up being a cop instead.

If a walking mountain of meat is required, then I'd rather some unknown do it, as he wouldn't need to speak much, if at all. Otherwise Batista would be ideal. Not the Rock. Fuck no. I couldn't take his wee peanut head seriously.

Think it's making the best of a bad situation really. I for one won't be watching it. I'm happy with the first three (3rd not so much)

I'm not going to watch the newest Alien either or new Predator.