Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280791 times)

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1120 on: May 11, 2017, 04:29:30 pm »
Jim: The James Foley Story. Very powerful.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1121 on: May 15, 2017, 06:45:55 pm »
Just watched Parched on Nat Geo about the water crisis in Detroit.

Fuckin shocking how these bankers get away with it, aided by the Politicians of course.

But as long as we keep the system alive and kicking nothing is going to change.

At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1122 on: May 16, 2017, 12:14:09 am »
The OJ Simpson 5 parter on BBC4 is unmissable for fans of the genre...terrific film making
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: May 16, 2017, 04:39:08 am »
The OJ Simpson 5 parter on BBC4 is unmissable for fans of the genre...terrific film making
Seconded. 7.5 hours but totally worth it. Every minute is gripping and it's probably the only thing you need to watch to understand the whole case and situation in its entirety.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1124 on: May 17, 2017, 08:06:01 am »
Seconded. 7.5 hours but totally worth it. Every minute is gripping and it's probably the only thing you need to watch to understand the whole case and situation in its entirety.

one of the most engrossing documentaries ive seen for quite some time.....up there with 'Making A Murderer' for me...the way it contextualizes the case and positions it within decades of race issues and American celebrity culture is superb.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: May 17, 2017, 08:48:29 am »
one of the most engrossing documentaries ive seen for quite some time.....up there with 'Making A Murderer' for me...the way it contextualizes the case and positions it within decades of race issues and American celebrity culture is superb.....

Great piece of film making

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: May 17, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »
The OJ made in America documentary trilogy is back on BBC Iplayer.

It's a brilliant watch.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1127 on: May 17, 2017, 01:36:31 pm »

yep. I loved it.....knew of the story, general bits here and there on the news whilst growing up but the way this documentary adds layers of context through each stage of his life is excellent

Recommended
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1128 on: May 18, 2017, 03:01:52 pm »
yep. I loved it.....knew of the story, general bits here and there on the news whilst growing up but the way this documentary adds layers of context through each stage of his life is excellent

Recommended
Seconded. It's on Netflix as well, but as a 10 parter. It's one of the best TV dramas I've seen in a while. Was too young to know what exactly happened at the time so wasn't aware of the race issues being involved.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #1129 on: May 18, 2017, 03:06:04 pm »
Do any of you guys know a good place to download documentary torrents online? Somewhere where you can browse the options and choose according to taste. Would appreciate it as I only tend to come across good documentaries by accident. I currently don't have the net so it would be good to be able to download them away from home during the day and then watch them later.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #1130 on: May 18, 2017, 03:19:02 pm »
Those of you who enjoyed the OJ docu should keep an eye out for ‘Let It Fall.’ This takes us back ten years into L.A.’s past for the voices that were there in ’92 to uncover what happened and where it all came from. The shift in LAPD policies in regard to nightsticks and the sweeps and reign of terror of then-LAPD chief Daryl Gates, As I say, all before Rodney King and explains the antipathy between the LAPD and the black community. It's available on PB in it's tv version, this though is edited for tv. the cinematic release is an hour longer and much better.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:42 pm »
Probably been mentioned in the past but watched 13th on Netflix last night. incredible documentary that deserves the praise it gets, history of the race+justice system in the USA, real eye opener and a shock.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #1132 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »
Probably been mentioned in the past but watched 13th on Netflix last night. incredible documentary that deserves the praise it gets, history of the race+justice system in the USA, real eye opener and a shock.
As I said at the time, people should look to read the book that docu takes lots of it's info from...from one of the main contributors to 13th.The book-The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness: Michelle Michelle Alexander. I've read it  few times now and I'm still amazed by how skewed the system is once you’re a felon, the old forms of discrimination—employment discrimination, housing discrimination, denial of the right to vote, denial of educational opportunity, denial of food stamps and other public benefits, and exclusion from jury service—are suddenly legal.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1133 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:05 pm »
Christ almighty just re-watched the BBC Documentary from a few years ago - Behind Bars - 1980 New Mexico State Penitentiary prison riot

How the fuck they let this happen is incredible but happen it did.

Brutal documentary that eclipses ANY Prison Documentary I've ever watched.

Insane and not for the faint-hearted.

Available on YouTube.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #1134 on: May 18, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
Christ almighty just re-watched the BBC Documentary from a few years ago - Behind Bars - 1980 New Mexico State Penitentiary prison riot

How the fuck they let this happen is incredible but happen it did.

Brutal documentary that eclipses ANY Prison Documentary I've ever watched.

Insane and not for the faint-hearted.

Available on YouTube.
I saw this on...BBC 2, years ago, was brutal like.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »
As I said at the time, people should look to read the book that docu takes lots of it's info from...from one of the main contributors to 13th.The book-The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness: Michelle Michelle Alexander. I've read it  few times now and I'm still amazed by how skewed the system is once you’re a felon, the old forms of discrimination—employment discrimination, housing discrimination, denial of the right to vote, denial of educational opportunity, denial of food stamps and other public benefits, and exclusion from jury service—are suddenly legal.
Yeah, I watch the John Oliver show and he's brought up the stupidity of the bail system.how innocent people are pleading guilty rather than be sent to jail for maybe years while they await trial.  it's madness. what I never realized was the influence of ALEC. big business influencing USA laws to create extremely tough sentences, they profit from keeping these poor people in jail so the more he merrier. thats one of the most horrendous situations ive ever come across. the USA should hang it's head in shame. it's obscene.
The lesson of course is to never allow any private contractors however remotely connected to the prison services a voice in politics.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #1136 on: May 18, 2017, 05:15:38 pm »
Yeah, I watch the John Oliver show and he's brought up the stupidity of the bail system.how innocent people are pleading guilty rather than be sent to jail for maybe years while they await trial.  it's madness. what I never realized was the influence of ALEC. big business influencing USA laws to create extremely tough sentences, they profit from keeping these poor people in jail so the more he merrier. thats one of the most horrendous situations ive ever come across. the USA should hang it's head in shame. it's obscene.
The lesson of course is to never allow any private contractors however remotely connected to the prison services a voice in politics.
It's just a business. A racially skewed business that is allowed legislatively to lawfully discriminate and marginalise people of Colour, mainly black men.

A companion book to this is Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis by Christian Parenti. This predates Alexanders book by close to two decade and documents the horrors and absurdities of militarized policing,prisons, a fortified border, and the federalization of the war on crime. If you're in Liverpool I donated both books to the library system.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1137 on: May 18, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »
Crips and Bloods - Made in America (2008) ....fascinating look at gang culture and how it emerged from the ashes of Watts and the de-industrialised urban ghetto of South LA ......available on Netflix or buckshee on the excellent TubiTV....

again for those who are digging the OJ doc...check out the above film, which in terms of subject matter  is an excellent/eye opening companion piece to the first couple of episodes...

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: May 18, 2017, 07:15:25 pm »
It's just a business. A racially skewed business that is allowed legislatively to lawfully discriminate and marginalise people of Colour, mainly black men.

A companion book to this is Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis by Christian Parenti. This predates Alexanders book by close to two decade and documents the horrors and absurdities of militarized policing,prisons, a fortified border, and the federalization of the war on crime. If you're in Liverpool I donated both books to the library system.
It is just a business and that's the problem. business should have no say in influencing punishments in ths justice system, we know the reason why they are doing it, they profit when people are locked up or bailed. I imagine they will argue they have the right as citizens to do this but this shouldn't fool anybody. I would like to read the book and do have a Liverpool library card and will look it up thanks.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1139 on: May 18, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »
It is just a business and that's the problem. business should have no say in influencing punishments in ths justice system, we know the reason why they are doing it, they profit when people are locked up or bailed. I imagine they will argue they have the right as citizens to do this but this shouldn't fool anybody. I would like to read the book and do have a Liverpool library card and will look it up thanks.
A nice companion piece to 13.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: May 19, 2017, 12:21:44 pm »
oh excellent lads keep up the recommendations...

Love crime/prison related docs and have seen a plenty....not more recent ones though or classics from the past.

have seen OJ, 13th, making a murderer, everything on documentary channels on tv to do with "toughest prisons", ross kemp etc....which is mostly guff but somewhat entertaining, saw a long one on the Strangeways prison riot which was also excellent

1980s Mexico riot and crips/bloods made in America added to the list.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: May 19, 2017, 12:28:01 pm »
oh excellent lads keep up the recommendations...

Love crime/prison related docs and have seen a plenty....not more recent ones though or classics from the past.

have seen OJ, 13th, making a murderer, everything on documentary channels on tv to do with "toughest prisons", ross kemp etc....which is mostly guff but somewhat entertaining, saw a long one on the Strangeways prison riot which was also excellent

1980s Mexico riot and crips/bloods made in America added to the list.

Louis Theroux did a few prison documentaries. Also the BBC did a good one about smuggling drugs in. I love a prison documentary as well ha. All Theroux is on Netflix.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: May 19, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »
Louis Theroux did a few prison documentaries. Also the BBC did a good one about smuggling drugs in. I love a prison documentary as well ha. All Theroux is on Netflix.

hah...yeah seen all of Theroux's work except the lates on Scientology I haven't got round to yet.

Prison/Crime docs and USPolitics/Space docs.....that's my bag!
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1143 on: May 19, 2017, 09:57:21 pm »
The Keepers is up on Netflix for fans of Making A Murderer, Serial and that type of stuff. Also if you hate the church it should reinforce your belief in its tyranny. Looks a goodun!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2017, 07:07:46 am »
The Keepers... wow

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: May 21, 2017, 07:58:41 am »
Finished The Keepers. It's a good documentary, maybe even a great one, but not quite as good as Serial, Making a Murderer etc. The main issue I had with the documentary is that it moves between 2 separate stories/issues, and not always organically. You end up wondering how much of the stories is factual.

Still, I'd give 8/10.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1146 on: May 22, 2017, 12:49:25 am »
Finished The Keepers. It's a good documentary, maybe even a great one, but not quite as good as Serial, Making a Murderer etc. The main issue I had with the documentary is that it moves between 2 separate stories/issues, and not always organically. You end up wondering how much of the stories is factual.

Still, I'd give 8/10.

Just finished it meself

Really very good, good storytelling

A few questions left

Spoiler
the priests did it right? Then got the others to take the body and get rid.  The gay fella under threat of exposing his sexuality and the other fella for pay back of having access to girls maybe?

Found it difficult at times to watch when the details of the abuse where discussed

Love the two ladies though, fuck the police, Catholic Church and any sick fuck who had any connection to anything like this.  There must be millions of people across the world who suffered similar and worse
[close]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:54:40 am by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:40 am »
Just finished it meself

Really very good, good storytelling

A few questions left

Spoiler
the priests did it right? Then got the others to take the body and get rid.  The gay fella under threat of exposing his sexuality and the other fella for pay back of having access to girls maybe?

Found it difficult at times to watch when the details of the abuse where discussed

Love the two ladies though, fuck the police, Catholic Church and any sick fuck who had any connection to anything like this.  There must be millions of people across the world who suffered similar and worse
[close]
Spoiler
Not sure who did it, but it is a common sense that the killer is somebody who knew the nun. The robbery wasn't a motive, and from what I understood, neither was a sexual assault. This point wasn't made all too clear. Anyway, even if she was sexually assaulted, I doubt that a maniac would drive her back to her apartment. And from what I read and watched, maniacs do not usually beat their victims to death.

It would make sense if the priest killer her, or ordered her to be killed. The Catholic church come across really bad in this documentary. Sure, they can say that it is just one man's action, but over the years, they did their best to ignore and let it continue to happen.
[close]

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: May 22, 2017, 11:57:57 am »
Been watching Making of a murderer over last 2 nights.
First episode interesting.
2nd  episode   wow.
3rd episode  wooooooooooow
4th episode wooooooooooooooow.
up to episode 7 now and will keep out of thread till ive binged the last 4 episodes tonight. incredible documentary.
EDIT, Great series, another planned later in the year, could be around August
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:14:54 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1149 on: May 22, 2017, 08:59:06 pm »

It's incredible.

A huge case too and due to my age, it was not something I remember following that closely.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:14 pm »
Moving on to the final episode of The Keepers tonight. It's harrowing, sickening stuff, but incredibly compelling.

Spoiler
Like all unsolved mysteries, it's wall-to-wall with:

(a) those maddening, tantalising near-misses (e.g. what was in that letter addressed to Sister Cathy's sister, in her handwriting, post-marked the day after she went missing? What was really in those boxes they dug up in the cemetery?) which leave you in very little doubt that if the criminal justice system functioned in real life like it does in the movies, the killer(s) would have likely been captured almost immediately, and the poor woman found within days rather than months. There's nothing in the show so far, for example (unless I missed it), about the police knocking on her neighbours' doors, fairly routine I would have thought, where they would have surely noticed something odd in Billy Schmidt's behaviour given how he supposedly unravelled over the following months, and

(b) unanswered questions, so many unanswered questions. Like, as soon as they mentioned that letter Sister Cathy apparently sent to Koob, I thought "nah, no way he killed her, not if she's professing her undying love to him and intention to have his kids". But then you think about that letter she sent her sister, handwritten on the front, and you think about how easy it would be to type up a letter saying anything you wanted from whoever you wanted, then leave it lying around for the police to find. Who knows? There's the discrepancy in the alibi too. Meanwhile, you wonder how Maskell and Magnus knew that the anonymous girl was in Sister Cathy's apartment the night before she went missing. Who else would have known, only her roommate, who apparently rang Koob first a mere couple of hours after Sister Cathy went out to buy something, perhaps a little early to be thinking she was missing?

To be fair, there's some wonderful stuff in the show as well. The love and affection that everyone seemed to have for Sister Cathy, the strength of those abused women, the unconditional support given to Jean by her husband Mike, and most of all the amazing work being done by Gemma and Abbie, truly a labour of love. In a show packed to the rafters with so many examples of evil in its purest form, there's also a huge amount of good which is every bit as critical to the story. I'm obviously not expecting any answers in the final episode, although apparently Maskell's body was exhumed after the show was filmed to collect DNA evidence, so maybe something might yet happen in the future.
[close]

Next for me will be the OJ documentary.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #1151 on: June 1, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »
Think the OJ documentary is one the best - if not the best - documentary films I've ever seen.  Shakespearean in its scope. Unmissable.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1152 on: June 1, 2017, 04:28:08 pm »
Been watching The Keepers and up to the last episode now.

Saw in the 4th episode, in either a newspaper extract or a 1990's tv news report there was a reference to volunteers searching for Sister Cathy in Leakin Park, and I realised we were in an Expanded Baltimore Universe, where all the crimes from Serial, The Keepers, and presumably the Wire exist and everything is all connected, to quote Det Lester Freamon.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #1153 on: June 1, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »
I spent about an hour watching 'Chasing Tyson' in the 30 for 30 series yesterday on BT sport and was enjoying it then my other half came in and said 'oh yeah this was good'. So I asked with surprise when she had seen it.

She said 'erm we watched it together a few weeks ago' and I realised that we had. That's alcohol for you!!  ;D
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #1154 on: June 2, 2017, 09:30:20 pm »
The 6 part documentary about the Grateful Dead "Long Strange Trip" is now up on Amazon Prime. Been waiting months for this & for some reason I thought it wasn't released till Sunday. I know what I'm watching over the weekend!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1155 on: June 3, 2017, 09:58:21 pm »
I don't know if anyone's watching this, but on BBC2 at the moment, Howard Goodall has been dissecting Sergeant Peppers track by track.

Superb stuff if you're a muso, a casual listener, curious or a fanatic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/usNsCeOV4GM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/usNsCeOV4GM</a>

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: June 14, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
Saw an amusing little doc on Amazon called Dennis Rodmans Big Bang In PyongYang.

Recounts the ill advised trip by Rodman to North Korea in 2014 to put on an exhibition game for known nutjob Kim Jong Un.

Told from the point of view of initial sponsors Paddy Power (who dropped out) it's a bizarre watch. Funny, sad, strange ..... odd.

It's a story I was unaware of, but was attracted to as I loved the Chicago Bulls in the '90s and Rodman was a phenomenal player despite being mad as a box of frogs.

8.5/10

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: June 14, 2017, 04:10:42 pm »
Watching the 'World at War' series from the 70's.
Though it's very much of it's time - it's also incredible if nothing due to sheer amount of then still alive people who they interviewed for the series. Reich generals, pilots, Hitler's secretary, survivors, soldiers from every side. Amazing really.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1158 on: June 14, 2017, 10:32:33 pm »
Though it's very much of it's time - it's also incredible if nothing due to sheer amount of then still alive people who they interviewed for the series. Reich generals, pilots, Hitler's secretary, survivors, soldiers from every side. Amazing really.

I watched it in the 70s and was fascinated by how many German high ups sounded like their British counterparts. Maybe that's why Hollywood always cast a Brit as a Nazi.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1159 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:20 am »

Watched all of the episodes (and still got some in my hard drive) a few years ago. It's brilliant and very detailed with lots of visual content and interviews as you said. Surely best documentary around WWII? I would guess so.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.