Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 246830 times)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2200 on: May 18, 2017, 05:31:11 pm »
Of course you can, you need it mate.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #2201 on: May 19, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »
Had my appointment today with the Med Onc. Unfortunately we didn't hit it off which is a shame. It's hard to have faith/trust in someone that you don't particularly get on with or like. Anyway my Onco result is under 30 - the magic number, it's 27 but the onco wants me to have chemo. For decades I have believed chemo - and not necessarily cancer - kills people. I'm absolutely against it. If I do meds only the chance of recurrence is 17%, meds and chemo and the chance 'might' become 15%. is it really worth it? with no guarantees? Opinions and suggestions welcome, that doesn't mean I'll take on board what's said though!

Hope everyone here is doing well.
JFT96 YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2202 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:24 pm »
Not been in here for a while,  really sorry to read that Chakan. Hope you and the family are OK.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2203 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:22 am »
Went into hospital 5 weeks ago and after my CT scan I was told that I most likely had gastric or pancreatic cancer. Was so scared. Fortunately after further treatment and testing it turned out to be pancreatitis which was somewhat of a relief. I've been so lucky and it really puts life into perspective, especially when you see what happened in Manchester a few days ago.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2204 on: May 25, 2017, 09:47:22 am »
Went into hospital 5 weeks ago and after my CT scan I was told that I most likely had gastric or pancreatic cancer. Was so scared. Fortunately after further treatment and testing it turned out to be pancreatitis which was somewhat of a relief. I've been so lucky and it really puts life into perspective, especially when you see what happened in Manchester a few days ago.

Good news, mate. Hope you are recovering?

I took my other half to the bone tumour centre in Oswestry yesterday after she found a lump and the x-ray showed it to be "something" and she needed to urgently be seen at the tumour unit. 5 loooong nights of waiting before an MRI and consultant appointment yesterday to be told the fantastic news that it's a chip of bone that has broken off and calcified. Over the moon. But know what you mean about putting things into perspective.

Much love to everyone on here who is suffering either themselves or with loved ones. x
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:15 pm »
Brilliant News that Rhi.

Sinnermichael, continue to take solace in the fact that it is not pancreatic cancer.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2206 on: June 25, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »
I'd like to dedicate my 30,000th post to the fight against this horrible disease and all those that have suffered.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:22:44 am by John C »

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2207 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
Lost one of my best mates to this c*nt of a disease last night. Only diagnosed 6 weeks ago. I'm in bits this morning. RIP Alan. Gonna miss you like mad mate.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2208 on: June 27, 2017, 11:05:22 am »
Lost one of my best mates to this c*nt of a disease last night. Only diagnosed 6 weeks ago. I'm in bits this morning. RIP Alan. Gonna miss you like mad mate.

That's awful mate, thoughts are with you. The wife of a good friend of mine is battling this at the moment and it's so tough, just a ruthless, indiscriminate and plain unfair thing for anyone to have to go through.

Offline IrishSu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2209 on: July 16, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
Just a quick update. I refused chemo, only time will tell if that was right or wrong. I did do rads and finished 20 sessions last Friday. No major side effects. Worked and exercised through it all. Have a trip planned to Munich this Thursday which I can't wait for. My next big challenge is Tamoxifen - for 10 years - but he ho, no doubt I'll get on with.

Hope all who use this thread are good. All in all my life is good and hasn't changed too much at all. Fingers crossed it will remain that way.
JFT96 YNWA

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2210 on: July 18, 2017, 05:10:43 pm »
In January I started my new job as a nursing assistant on a palliative care unit. The majority of the patients have cancer but the time they have left differs from patient to patient. Just last week I held a man's hand as he passed away and it was the first time I was present at the time of death. It was strange but it also felt good he wasn't alone.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2211 on: July 19, 2017, 11:36:18 am »
In January I started my new job as a nursing assistant on a palliative care unit. The majority of the patients have cancer but the time they have left differs from patient to patient. Just last week I held a man's hand as he passed away and it was the first time I was present at the time of death. It was strange but it also felt good he wasn't alone.

Thank you.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: September 8, 2017, 05:27:54 am »
Me mums been ill for a while, bloated stomach, no energy, back pain, nausea, having diahrea about 10 times if she eats anything basically all the signs of Ovarian cancer, she has been going to the drs for about 3-4 months and been off work since then.

They sent her for the camera down throat and up the rear, come back with something but nothing to bad but she kept going back and the last lot of bloods come back with a high CA-125 which is a indication of Ovarian cancer.  So that among all the symptons is not looking good. 

They booked her in for a emergency ultrasound, it come within a week and half, she went to it the gynecologist had a 1 minute look and feel of her stomach and said we need to book you in for a emergency ultrasound, mum was like that's what the dr said this was for, but to be fair the new appointment come the next day and it's for this saturday morning.

I know she is a fighter as she had a brain tumour about 6 years ago and come back from that and just a couple years ago she was hospitalized and put in a induced coma and nearly died then from what started as a sore throat then led to her not being able to breath, it was very bizarre to say the least.

Why is it with so many bastards about it seems like it's just the good ones who don't get a break, anyway just needed to get that of my chest I can't stop worrying and thinking is she going to be strong enough again to deal with another major thing, but what I do know is she will give it her all to try beat it if it comes to it.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 05:29:30 am by JLStretton »
choose Life.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2213 on: September 8, 2017, 01:06:11 pm »

God Bless you.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2214 on: September 8, 2017, 01:09:09 pm »
Me mums been ill for a while, bloated stomach, no energy, back pain, nausea, having diahrea about 10 times if she eats anything basically all the signs of Ovarian cancer, she has been going to the drs for about 3-4 months and been off work since then.

They sent her for the camera down throat and up the rear, come back with something but nothing to bad but she kept going back and the last lot of bloods come back with a high CA-125 which is a indication of Ovarian cancer.  So that among all the symptons is not looking good. 

They booked her in for a emergency ultrasound, it come within a week and half, she went to it the gynecologist had a 1 minute look and feel of her stomach and said we need to book you in for a emergency ultrasound, mum was like that's what the dr said this was for, but to be fair the new appointment come the next day and it's for this saturday morning.

I know she is a fighter as she had a brain tumour about 6 years ago and come back from that and just a couple years ago she was hospitalized and put in a induced coma and nearly died then from what started as a sore throat then led to her not being able to breath, it was very bizarre to say the least.

Why is it with so many bastards about it seems like it's just the good ones who don't get a break, anyway just needed to get that of my chest I can't stop worrying and thinking is she going to be strong enough again to deal with another major thing, but what I do know is she will give it her all to try beat it if it comes to it.

This is very similar to what happened to my mum 15 years ago. She had emergency surgery and then a few years of chemo and radiation. Sounds like your mum is a fighter mate.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2215 on: September 8, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
In perhaps positive news regarding Cancer and stopping it. Researchers at Washington University St. Louis' Medical School (and Engineering School) have recently made a few breakthroughs.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/zika-virus-kills-brain-cancer-stem-cells/

Zika virus kills brain cancer stem cells

Virus potentially could be used to treat deadly disease

While Zika virus causes devastating damage to the brains of developing fetuses, it one day may be an effective treatment for glioblastoma, a deadly form of brain cancer. New research from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the University of California San Diego School of Medicine shows that the virus kills brain cancer stem cells, the kind of cells most resistant to standard treatments.

The findings suggest that the lethal power of the virus – known for infecting and killing cells in the brains of fetuses, causing babies to be born with tiny, misshapen heads – could be directed at malignant cells in the brain. Doing so potentially could improve people’s chances against a brain cancer – glioblastoma – that is most often fatal within a year of diagnosis.

“We showed that Zika virus can kill the kind of glioblastoma cells that tend to be resistant to current treatments and lead to death,” said Michael S. Diamond, MD, PhD, the Herbert S. Gasser Professor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine and the study’s co-senior author.

The findings are published Sept. 5 in The Journal of Experimental Medicine.

Each year in the United States, about 12,000 people are diagnosed with glioblastoma, the most common form of brain cancer. Among them is U.S. Sen. John McCain, who announced his diagnosis in July.

The standard treatment is aggressive – surgery, followed by chemotherapy and radiation – yet most tumors recur within six months. A small population of cells, known as glioblastoma stem cells, often survives the onslaught and continues to divide, producing new tumor cells to replace the ones killed by the cancer drugs.

In their neurological origins and near-limitless ability to create new cells, glioblastoma stem cells reminded postdoctoral researcher Zhe Zhu, PhD, of neuroprogenitor cells, which generate cells for the growing brain. Zika virus specifically targets and kills neuroprogenitor cells.

In collaboration with co-senior authors Diamond and Milan G. Chheda, MD, of Washington University School of Medicine, and Jeremy N. Rich, MD, of UC San Diego, Zhu tested whether the virus could kill stem cells in glioblastomas removed from patients at diagnosis. They infected tumors with one of two strains of Zika virus. Both strains spread through the tumors, infecting and killing the cancer stem cells while largely avoiding other tumor cells.

The findings suggest that Zika infection and chemotherapy-radiation treatment have complementary effects. The standard treatment kills the bulk of the tumor cells but often leaves the stem cells intact to regenerate the tumor. Zika virus attacks the stem cells but bypasses the greater part of the tumor.

“We see Zika one day being used in combination with current therapies to eradicate the whole tumor,” said Chheda, an assistant professor of medicine and of neurology.

To find out whether the virus could help treat cancer in a living animal, the researchers injected either Zika virus or saltwater (a placebo) directly into the brain tumors of 18 and 15 mice, respectively. Tumors were significantly smaller in the Zika-treated mice two weeks after injection, and those mice survived significantly longer than the ones given saltwater.

If Zika were used in people, it would have to be injected into the brain, most likely during surgery to remove the primary tumor. If introduced through another part of the body, the person’s immune system would sweep it away before it could reach the brain.

The idea of injecting a virus notorious for causing brain damage into people’s brains seems alarming, but Zika may be safer for use in adults because its primary targets – neuroprogenitor cells – are rare in the adult brain. The fetal brain, on the other hand, is loaded with such cells, which is part of the reason why Zika infection before birth produces widespread and severe brain damage, while natural infection in adulthood causes mild symptoms.

The researchers conducted additional studies of the virus using brain tissue from epilepsy patients and showed that the virus does not infect noncancerous brain cells.

As an additional safety feature, the researchers introduced two mutations that weakened the virus’s ability to combat the cell’s defenses against infection, reasoning that the mutated virus still would be able to grow in tumor cells – which have a poor antiviral defense system – but would be eliminated quickly in healthy cells with a robust antiviral response.

When they tested the mutant viral strain and the original parental strain in glioblastoma stem cells, they found that the original strain was more potent, but that the mutant strain also succeeded in killing the cancerous cells.

“We’re going to introduce additional mutations to sensitize the virus even more to the innate immune response and prevent the infection from spreading,” said Diamond, who also is a professor of molecular microbiology, and of pathology and immunology. “Once we add a few more changes, I think it’s going to be impossible for the virus to overcome them and cause disease.”

This coupled with this (my mates research) :

http://biosensors.web.engr.illinois.edu/bioinspired-sensors/2017-ieee-iscas/

ECE ILLINOIS visiting scholar Nimrod Missael Garcia Hernandez along with Associate Professor Viktor Gruev won two Best Paper Awards at the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS). These distinctions include the Best Paper Award in the Sensory Circuits and Systems track, and most impressively the Best Student Paper Award, chosen among around 800 papers. Gruev, who was the principal investigator for the research, is also affiliated with the Beckman Institute and MNTL.

In their paper, “A 1600 by 1200, 300 mW, 40 fps Multi-Spectral Imager for Near-Infrared Fluorescence Image-Guided Surgery,” Garcia and Gruev introduced a bio-inspired design comprising an artificial multi-spectral sensor.

Gruev’s previous research examined the mantis shrimp visual system which is capable of seeing polarization. As featured in a PBS video, this unique property was the foundation for new imaging technology that promises to give surgeons the ability to detect cancerous cells earlier. Now, they are taking on a different approach

Fluorescence image (in a false color map); bright red signals high blood flow and dark blue verifies the opposite.

“Our sensor monolithically integrates spectral tapetal filters, inspired by the Morpho butterfly's eyes, with photodetectors to realize a single-chip multispectral imager,” said Garcia. More specifically, spectral filtering helps identify key areas with the fluorescent dyes used by the researchers. This is achieved by solely allowing the light from the fluorescence spectra to pass through the pixelated filter. This light is then detected by a photodetector.

“Our imager has the ability to capture four spatially co-registered spectral bands in real time; three for color detection and one on the near-infrared (NIR) window for fluorophore detection.” This goes to say that each color band is seen in the same field of view, such that the features on the scene are perfectly aligned.

The fluorophore or fluorescent dye can be engineered for numerous uses. This dye can show surgeons in real-time the location of potentially cancerous tissue. Their preclinical and clinical data has demonstrated potential for using the imager in the conventional surgical workflow.

“My experience with this conference has been fantastic; is an excellent place to meet and network with top researchers from all around the globe in the field of circuits and systems,” Garcia said. “The state-of-the-art research presented at ISCAS serves as an opportunity to create new collaborations.”

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #2216 on: September 9, 2017, 02:53:45 am »
Just a quick update. I refused chemo, only time will tell if that was right or wrong. I did do rads and finished 20 sessions last Friday. No major side effects. Worked and exercised through it all. Have a trip planned to Munich this Thursday which I can't wait for. My next big challenge is Tamoxifen - for 10 years - but he ho, no doubt I'll get on with.

Hope all who use this thread are good. All in all my life is good and hasn't changed too much at all. Fingers crossed it will remain that way.

This was a while ago but I hope you're doing alright. All the best wishes to you.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2217 on: September 9, 2017, 07:31:49 am »

Hope you and your old dear get some positive news today mate.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: September 9, 2017, 10:16:24 am »
This is very similar to what happened to my mum 15 years ago. She had emergency surgery and then a few years of chemo and radiation. Sounds like your mum is a fighter mate.
She is that mate.

Hope you and your old dear get some positive news today mate.

Thanks, well she has just had the scan but they never said anything just that Dr will be in touch or something so more time to worry.  Been up all night with worry, but spose what will be will be and will just have to deal with it.
choose Life.

Offline IrishSu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2219 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:29 pm »
This was a while ago but I hope you're doing alright. All the best wishes to you.

I'm doing great, thank you very much for asking. I actually started a new job a couple of weeks ago. For the first time ever I decided to take the plunge and accept a role in a management position. I always feared the responsibility of being the head accountant but since my diagnosis I decided to take a chance and I'm loving it.

On the Tamoxifen over 4 weeks now and so far so good. No side effects yet. I have a check up tomorrow week but I have no doubt all will be good. I hope so at least!

All in all I really can't complain. The whole experience has certainly given me a new perspective on life and in a weird way it's pushing me forward.

I hope all who use this thread and their loved ones, are doing well. Best wishes. x
JFT96 YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2220 on: September 13, 2017, 08:49:50 am »
^^^ That's great to read :)

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #2221 on: September 15, 2017, 09:01:20 am »
God bless you Evie the world would be lost without people like you.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: September 15, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
In January I started my new job as a nursing assistant on a palliative care unit.
God bless you Evie the world would be lost without people like you.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: September 26, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »
So they have finally said it's looking like cancer, took a needle test for final confirmation.  Only took them months to work it out. 

Life eh, what's the point at times
choose Life.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: September 29, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
My Dad was diagnosed with liver cancer a week ago and we found out a couple of days ago its untreatable. We brought him home yesterday to care for him.

Feel like our whole world has been turned on its head.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2225 on: September 29, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »
My Dad was diagnosed with liver cancer a week ago and we found out a couple of days ago its untreatable. We brought him home yesterday to care for him.

Really sorry to hear this mate.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2226 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
We have a member of my wife's family who is battling a rare form of cancer, aged 3 years old, the lad.

Been about 3 months and I haven't processed what to say. We don't ask too many questions and go over for play dates and offer our help.

He's doing well at the moment. Close in age, and round the corner, from my eldest son, I find it hard to process but then I am not his parents so.....well, we offer support really.

The cards that are dealt sometimes make no sense, whatsoever. There but for the Grace.......
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2227 on: October 2, 2017, 08:44:50 pm »
My wife’s cousin has terminal breast cancer after being diagnosed 7 or so years ago....

She wrote a screenplay about her experience and it’s been made into a short film...

It’s very strange watching someone you know being played by an actress...but no less moving..

Have a watch of the trailer...

https://youtu.be/wNZjVz3N0mg
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: October 3, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »
So they have finally said it's looking like cancer, took a needle test for final confirmation.  Only took them months to work it out. 

Life eh, what's the point at times

Fuck. Sorry to hear that, mate. Ovarian cancer is a bastard. It's difficult to detect early unfortunately, but the Quacks don't do a very good job of spotting warning signs either. My mother was told for years that she had IBS, but it was ovarian cancer all along.

Thinking of you and your family. You'll get through it.

Everyone else - if you're reading this - read up on the symptoms and make sure the women in your life know the symptoms. It's easy to assume that the doctors will find these things, but with ovarian cancer especially, you have to push them to check for it.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #2229 on: October 3, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
Just got an e-mail telling me a good mate died on Saturday from prostate / lung cancer. He knew it was terminal and was very open about it but still doesn't help. I'm away so probably won't get back for the funeral.

Cancer is a bastard and my best wishes and hopes to all on here and anywhere either with it or know someone suffering.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:33 pm »

Unfortunately my Dad passed away a few weeks ago. It was only four weeks or so between him falling ill and us losing him. What a horrible disease; we weren't given any chance of a fight.

I'm happy that he's not in any pain or discomfort any more but I miss him so much.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: November 15, 2017, 02:07:46 am »

Unfortunately my Dad passed away a few weeks ago. It was only four weeks or so between him falling ill and us losing him. What a horrible disease; we weren't given any chance of a fight.

I'm happy that he's not in any pain or discomfort any more but I miss him so much.
I'm sorry for your loss mate, having just lost my Mum it's the hardest thing I have ever been through, I just don't see a way through it but the one thing that is driving me on is the fact my mum would want me to carry on and live and that's just about what's keeping me going.  Think I might have to see a dr about being down but don't really see the point as all they will do is fill me with pills. 
choose Life.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:14 am »
Fuck. Sorry to hear that, mate. Ovarian cancer is a bastard. It's difficult to detect early unfortunately, but the Quacks don't do a very good job of spotting warning signs either. My mother was told for years that she had IBS, but it was ovarian cancer all along.

Thinking of you and your family. You'll get through it.

Everyone else - if you're reading this - read up on the symptoms and make sure the women in your life know the symptoms. It's easy to assume that the doctors will find these things, but with ovarian cancer especially, you have to push them to check for it.

Thank you, it turned to be pancreatic cancer in the end another one that's hard to detect.  Well it would of helped if they did the blood tests months before and maybe they could of tried to operate but still ultimately she was doomed.  I just want her back to have one last conversation it's heartbreaking knowing it will never happen.
choose Life.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2233 on: November 15, 2017, 03:51:00 pm »
I lost someone close to both pancreatic and lung cancer on January 19th this year and it was horrendous.  She was only diagnosed towards the end on September last year. 

4 months in and out of Hospital, different treatments, chemotherapy and all the rest of it.  After the last dose of chemotherapy she was ringing a bell on the wall in the Hospital and everyone was cheering and clapping.  Apparently they have all patients do that when their course of chemotherapy is finished.

They could do no more, she was sent home.  Took ill again, really ill and was rushed back to Hospital.

We were told she had pneumonia.  She died shortly after.

It is brutal.

My heart, good wishes and love goes out to any person diagnosed with any type of cancer, and their family/loved ones.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: November 15, 2017, 04:07:42 pm »
That's bleak Paul, sorry for your loss earlier in the year and everyone else's :(
choose Life.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2235 on: November 15, 2017, 04:08:27 pm »
Pancreatic cancer is the worst. Sorry to hear Paul. 4 months seems to be the norm, unfortunately. :'(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:17:12 pm by Chakan »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:08 pm »
It is one of the worst forms of this brutal horrible affliction. Sorry for your loss Paul. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2237 on: November 16, 2017, 03:23:56 pm »
Pancreatic cancer is the worst. Sorry to hear Paul. 4 months seems to be the norm, unfortunately. :'(

Yep, same scenario for a relative of mine, very fast and brutal.

Sorry for your loss Paul.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: November 16, 2017, 03:25:39 pm »
Yep, same scenario for a relative of mine, very fast and brutal.

Sorry for your loss Paul.

It's 6 months for my mom this November, time doesn't stop.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2239 on: November 19, 2017, 12:43:01 am »
My mum paid me a visit today to tell me she's been diagnosed with skin cancer. Bit of a shock really. Has to wait 3 months til she gets it cut out. :(

Sorry mate that's terrible news, but keep strong.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"