Author Topic: Supporting Jurgen Klopp and the team through this injury ravaged season  (Read 65722 times)

Offline Nabylid

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Supporting the team through this injury ravaged season
« Reply #120 on: February 8, 2021, 11:43:02 pm »
Nice thread. Jurgen and this group of players will probably always be my favourite Liverpool team given I’ve waited my whole life to see us win the league. And to do that off the back of number 6 of course ;)

As difficult as this season has been with the injuries and soulless stadiums what the team has delivered these last few years means my faith is unshakeable to be honest. Let’s just be patient and ignore all the Sky hype/shite and look forward to getting behind this team of champions in a packed Anfield again lads and lasses.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #121 on: February 8, 2021, 11:57:25 pm »
Nice thread. Jurgen and this group of players will probably always be my favourite Liverpool team given I’ve waited my whole life to see us win the league. And to do that off the back of number 6 of course ;)

As difficult as this season has been with the injuries and soulless stadiums what the team has delivered these last few years means my faith is unshakeable to be honest. Let’s just be patient and ignore all the Sky hype/shite and look forward to getting behind this team of champions in a packed Anfield again lads and lasses.

Welcome Nabylid, I like the cut of your jib  8)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #122 on: February 8, 2021, 11:58:28 pm »
Lads, this is a brilliant thread.

I’ll not say much, except to share my gratitude for the Timbos, Keyops, Ghosts, DeFactos, and Lobos in my life.  Spending more time loving what we have and who we’ve become is really important if the recent year has taught us anything at all.

Plus the long form is making a comeback - long live paragraphs of critical thought!!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 9, 2021, 12:22:30 am »

Welcome, great first post mate 👏
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 9, 2021, 12:29:02 am »
Lads, this is a brilliant thread.

I’ll not say much, except to share my gratitude for the Timbos, Keyops, Ghosts, DeFactos, and Lobos in my life.  Spending more time loving what we have and who we’ve become is really important if the recent year has taught us anything at all.

Plus the long form is making a comeback - long live paragraphs of critical thought!!!!

Right! I wish I could contribute better to support these mighty reds and our amazing manager during this the hardest of seasons - but we will prevail, we'll support you evermore. The reds are still coming up the hill and they will never walk alone 
We are after all still* the fucking world champions :scarf

* until Thursday ;D

Offline Nabylid

• Boys Pen
« Reply #125 on: February 9, 2021, 01:12:49 am »
Welcome, great first post mate 👏
Welcome Nabylid, I like the cut of your jib  8)

Thanks for the welcome  :wave

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #126 on: February 9, 2021, 01:40:29 am »
Just been reading through all the posts in the thread and a fucking big grin has at last returned to my face to erase the grimace which did seem to have taken root from the moment of poor Ali's first lapse on Sunday evening. So a big thank you to all on here - er with the odd exception it would seem - for so warmly embracing the underpinning spirit and sentiments of this thread which Keyop, myself and few others felt so appropriate following the huge Burnley and Brighton setbacks and our anticipation of a possible 'worst case' scenario against City, which so despairingly came to pass.

We all know from recent past experiences as Liverpudlians with Gerard Houllier, Rafa and Brendan Rodgers just how vulnerable a managerial regime can be when bombarded by the fickleness of media frenzy and fan-base angst when things begin to go awry. The days of unconditional loyalty which characterized Shanks's barren 6 seasons at the end of the '60's are long long gone. And even a regime as seemingly unshakeable as Jurgen Klopp's might creak and perhaps even wilt under the incessant barrage of callous undermining that seems to be the 'raison d'etre' of so many whenever things do go a bit wayward.

And let us not forget an added factor here is the faultless integrity of the great man himself. Does anybody honestly believe that Klopp himself would hang around for one minute more if he ever felt a tide of dissatisfaction was threatening to prevail within our fan-base?

So that then is why this thread was hatched and, moreover, why in the light of that I genuinely want to say a massive thanks to all on here for just "getting it". For just knowing what supporting this club and this manager really should be about.

I guess maybe I should have known all along that this was the case with so many on here but it's still just so reassuring to know that even on the loony infested internet where pouring out ill-thought negativity is such a convenient outlet for expelling disappointment whenever the team has fallen short of desired expectations, so many proper Reds still exist. Supporters like us lot used to form the overwhelming majority but in these times of mainstream and social media short-sighted glibness and readiness to write off all and sundry, manager included, you do often wonder if that is still the case. You watch and read some of the shite that inevitably follows a reverse and you despair. And yet reading so many like-minded proper Reds on here lifts the heart and restores a connection with balance and perspective. Let's hope this raft of solidarity on RAWK is mirrored throughout our fan base.

All that said, however, we should perhaps also spare a thought for those who do feel alienated by what we all see so clearly as displaying the same level of support for the manager and team which we show inside the ground during non-covid times - which kind of helps the team when things are going wrong - yet they might well perceive as blind loyalty on our part. And so in view of this I propose we perhaps open another thread to reflect the parallel universe of er "LFC support" that also seems to exist.

Perhaps something along the lines of "how fucking easy it is to sign the right players and ensure they don't lose form or get fucking injured by the fucking barrowload and generally just, you know, run and manage a top footy club like LFC better than the likes of Jurgen Klopp because as an internet footy fan I just happen to know these sort of things better than fucking Jurgen and his fucking crew"

Offline Teacher

• Pair Ant Even Ink
  • Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: February 9, 2021, 01:51:01 am »
The team/club will always have my support (injury ravaged season or not). If you board the LFC roller coaster as a kid there`s no getting off it.

I actually think that this season isn`t a bad time to have a blip. Football without fans is crap anyway and although the usual trophies are up for grabs, it all seems a bit unreal and sterile. There are other (more important) things going on in the world.

We`ll be back next season when it really counts though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 9, 2021, 06:42:42 am »
Just been reading through all the posts in the thread and a fucking big grin has at last returned to my face to erase the grimace which did seem to have taken root from the moment of poor Ali's first lapse on Sunday evening. So a big thank you to all on here - er with the odd exception it would seem - for so warmly embracing the underpinning spirit and sentiments of this thread which Keyop, myself and few others felt so appropriate following the huge Burnley and Brighton setbacks and our anticipation of a possible 'worst case' scenario against City, which so despairingly came to pass.

We all know from recent past experiences as Liverpudlians with Gerard Houllier, Rafa and Brendan Rodgers just how vulnerable a managerial regime can be when bombarded by the fickleness of media frenzy and fan-base angst when things begin to go awry. The days of unconditional loyalty which characterized Shanks's barren 6 seasons at the end of the '60's are long long gone. And even a regime as seemingly unshakeable as Jurgen Klopp's might creak and perhaps even wilt under the incessant barrage of callous undermining that seems to be the 'raison d'etre' of so many whenever things do go a bit wayward.

And let us not forget an added factor here is the faultless integrity of the great man himself. Does anybody honestly believe that Klopp himself would hang around for one minute more if he ever felt a tide of dissatisfaction was threatening to prevail within our fan-base?

So that then is why this thread was hatched and, moreover, why in the light of that I genuinely want to say a massive thanks to all on here for just "getting it". For just knowing what supporting this club and this manager really should be about.

I guess maybe I should have known all along that this was the case with so many on here but it's still just so reassuring to know that even on the loony infested internet where pouring out ill-thought negativity is such a convenient outlet for expelling disappointment whenever the team has fallen short of desired expectations, so many proper Reds still exist. Supporters like us lot used to form the overwhelming majority but in these times of mainstream and social media short-sighted glibness and readiness to write off all and sundry, manager included, you do often wonder if that is still the case. You watch and read some of the shite that inevitably follows a reverse and you despair. And yet reading so many like-minded proper Reds on here lifts the heart and restores a connection with balance and perspective. Let's hope this raft of solidarity on RAWK is mirrored throughout our fan base.

All that said, however, we should perhaps also spare a thought for those who do feel alienated by what we all see so clearly as displaying the same level of support for the manager and team which we show inside the ground during non-covid times - which kind of helps the team when things are going wrong - yet they might well perceive as blind loyalty on our part. And so in view of this I propose we perhaps open another thread to reflect the parallel universe of er "LFC support" that also seems to exist.

Perhaps something along the lines of "how fucking easy it is to sign the right players and ensure they don't lose form or get fucking injured by the fucking barrowload and generally just, you know, run and manage a top footy club like LFC better than the likes of Jurgen Klopp because as an internet footy fan I just happen to know these sort of things better than fucking Jurgen and his fucking crew" [/i]

One of the best things I have read in a while mate.

Let me know when its my turn to buy a round too  ---- was thinking of small, slightly sarcastic piece on media.

"gosh, I just enjoy so much how the media INFORMS us of all the problems going on at our club, all at once.  They must really care about us and the club to such deep extent, that they go above and beyond to report the kind of stories that can create a sea change of culture in the club almost from a boiler plate, cut and paste story framework from 15 years ago.  It makes my heart flutter to see how caring they are of the rules, the league, the referees --- the revenues.  I am not sure how they are able to do it all in one day, every day, groundhogs day?   Its almost as if I should tune into them more and more --- to rely upon their thinking to replace me own.  Because, it is clear as day that they know a whole lot more about footy than they people who play it.  When watching games I find it almost unbearable to listen in silence, as I have to have the announcers parrot corporate talking points and use soccer jargon like they got it off the shelf at a Riddell footy store in 80s.  I mean if you want robust discussion, keen thinking, and some good old fashioned honestly -- then listened to the unbiased views of Gary Lineaker or Martin Tyler.  They tell it like it is, and their sponsors woes me, how good are the media sponsors --- making sure games get scheduled, played and spending on such quality PR talent like they have has done wonders for the modern game in the middle of a pandemic.  In fact, if it hadn't been for football, I might have had to parent my young child --- and that's not happening.  So, be thankful for the EPL and governing bodies who decided against punishment for the most part - glad to see City back in the CL -- good for them.  Anyhow, just awfully glad to have something to hold onto.  And the game is ever improving -- just look at VAR.  What innovation!  What consistent use of technological advantage to eliminate all questions under the sky.  I am told it is meted out fairly and uniformly. "   

« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 02:12:17 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 9, 2021, 12:55:58 pm »
Klopp's Liverpool and another magic day.

https://youtu.be/__XTRCtmhWE

We all remember the last minute of injury time, (well have another look if you are new to this club !!). It isn't just the absolute joy and mega laugh that it was as Lallana slam dunks the winner and one of the iconic celebrations of Klopp's era. No, what crossed my mind was the array of players playing for us that day. It was early days in Klopp's first season I think.
Those who took part include, in no particular order, Jordan Ibe, Alberto Moreno (who possesses a ECL winner's medal if I am not mistaken), Simon Mignolet, Kolo Touré, Mo Sakho, Nat Clyne, Benteke, Lucas, Can and Steven Caulker (as well as Lallana, Milner, Hendo and Bobby). It shows just how Klopp did galvanise a fairly ordinary squad (where would that lot finish in the league now ?). There were some classic clangers and positional failings and as much as they fought for and got the win they also found a huge variety of ways to lose a game. That was the Liverpool that Klopp took over.

So for all people moan about Ali and errors, remember Simon. As for our fullbacks and a fall off in form remember Alberto Moreno. Ibe and Benteke were first teamers at the time. I could go on. Look what Jurgan and his backroom team have created ?

He made them better players got the best out of them and moved them on sometimes at ridiculous prices.

It's just a small meaningless game in a season where we finished well south of anywhere relevant but you can see the spirit and will and the joy (again) of the supporters. They were great fun times actually, we were on the rise and hope was budding.

Anyway, it's a freezing cold, miserable day in a country destroyed by fear and anxiety where I am. So the above video is my tonic. Enjoy it.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 9, 2021, 01:09:16 pm »
It's a lovely post Timbo. In so many ways these are the weirdest of times.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #131 on: February 9, 2021, 01:18:09 pm »
Thanks once again to Keyop and Timbo for starting this thread and putting in some perspective into the football world, that we all need at the moment. It's easy being a supporter when you are winning every week, but times like these are when we all need to look at the bigger picture and not allow the media and those outside the club, to take over the agenda. We know this manager and team will come again and until they do, walk on walk on.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #132 on: February 9, 2021, 01:19:53 pm »
32 pages to discuss a defeat and 4 pages to support our greatest manager since the premier league.
Great adventures have ups and downs. Don't come out of the woodwork and tell us you were always a Klopp supporter when the great man inevitably improves our form and gets us moving forward again - show your support now when he needs our help.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #133 on: February 9, 2021, 01:43:46 pm »
People should remember the west brom moment after the 2-2 draw. There is a reason the boss did it and there is a reason we fans defended it from outside noise. Remember that and remember the reasons. We are in this together.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 9, 2021, 02:31:19 pm »
32 pages to discuss a defeat and 4 pages to support our greatest manager since the premier league.
Great adventures have ups and downs. Don't come out of the woodwork and tell us you were always a Klopp supporter when the great man inevitably improves our form and gets us moving forward again - show your support now when he needs our help.
I’ve not read all posts but are people seriously questioning Klopp?
Of all people at Anfield, he is untouchable for what he has achieved. Klopp deserves as much time and backing as he requires.

Offline BJ

• IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #135 on: February 9, 2021, 02:37:57 pm »
I’ve not read all posts but are people seriously questioning Klopp?
Of all people at Anfield, he is untouchable for what he has achieved. Klopp deserves as much time and backing as he requires.
Not on this thread.  We’re all believers.  8)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 9, 2021, 03:04:36 pm »
Excellent post Koplass and all so true!
+1 only just saw than now. Perfect summary.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 9, 2021, 03:07:09 pm »
^^^ Koplass, please don’t get too upset with Roy Keane.

There’s a reason why Keane is sat in a Sky studio talking shite - he couldn’t hack it as a coach or a manager. He, Carra, Shreeves and Neville have sold their football souls. I’ve discovered it’s much better for my mood to watch only from kick off, on mute, then to switch off or over once Klopp’s had his two pence worth.

Welcome thread btw, well done lads.

Brilliant extract from James Pierce in The Athletic today about Keane becoming Sky's latest "Shock Jock".

Hyperbolic soundbites make perfect clips for social media engagement and predictably his “withering attack” on Jurgen Klopp’s side in the wake of their 4-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester City went viral.

Keane doesn’t discriminate, he’s angry about everyone and everything. But the novelty of his outspoken punditry has long since worn off. He’s become a caricature of himself.
It’s not entertaining and it’s tiresome, and the bottom line is that viewers are being short-changed.

Where is the analysis? Where is the insight from one of the greatest midfielders of the Premier League era?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #139 on: February 9, 2021, 03:22:28 pm »
Fuck the rest, I'm with this squad and Jurgen until the end, and way after that too.

Offline Seasider2110

• Boys Pen
  • Red beside the sea
« Reply #140 on: February 9, 2021, 03:22:41 pm »
The way I tend to look at things is to be grateful and amazed in equal amounts at how Klopp delivered no 19 and no 6.
I don't have the bang up to date figures but Guardiola's net spend at City is around 505 million. Whereas Klopp's at Liverpool is around 90 million.
I don't know if those figures are 100% accurate but they paint the picture.
How the hell did Klopp manage to beat City to the title last season with such a huge gulf in spending power?
Equally how did he manage to take us to two Champions League finals and win one? A competition in which Guardiola has failed to even get City to a final.
In the last ten years City have now surpassed a one billion spend on players and I read somewhere that they've spent 200 million just on full backs in the last few years.
You also have to take in to account that Guardiola inherited a far stronger squad than Klopp did and has far less of a rebuild to do.
And all that without even mentioning the breaking of the FFP rules. Because let's face it they undoubtedly  did
When you look at those statistics, it tells me that Klopp is without doubt a miracle worker and by far the best manager in the world
I'll be eternally grateful to Klopp and the players for performing what has been nothing short of a miracle.
And if City or any other fans think this is the end of Liverpool's trophy winning, they'd better think again.
I've no doubt we'll be up there challenging again next season. And all those currently gloating on social media will have those words rammed back down their throats.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 03:35:47 pm by Seasider2110 »

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 9, 2021, 03:31:19 pm »
Brilliant extract from James Pierce in The Athletic today about Keane becoming Sky's latest "Shock Jock".

Pearce is spot on there, Keane isn't the only one and he's probably not the worst either. Keane was so bad ITV dropped him a few years back. Pretty much says it all.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 03:37:36 pm by Ratboy3G »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #142 on: February 9, 2021, 03:34:25 pm »
I think much of a what we are seeing and hearing just reflects the fickleness and want-it-all-now nature of modern society. People want to be onboard for the good times, but want to get off when times are tough. They want the parades, but melt away in lean times. It may be human nature to want it all and want it all now, but life doesn't really work out that way, so we all have to learn to accept that in order to have the highs, we have to take the lows too.

When times are tough we have two choices. Honestly, it's as simple as that.
We can choose to wallow in self-pity, choose to point fingers, look for scapegoats to blame, stamp our feet and feel sorry for ourselves, pull the duvet over our heads and hope it all goes away...

... Or, we can take a stand, accept the current situation is what it is, then do what we can to improve it.

We have that choice. We can choose to be positive and supportive, or negative and just another addition to the problem.

It's the same in supporting your club as it is in life. The situation is what it is. How we deal with it is what ultimately counts.

In base terms, we've just been snotted and have a bloody nose.
Our choice; do we go down in tears, whimpering like scolded children, or do we take the blow, stay on our feet and fight back?

Well, this thread is for those who want to stand their ground and fight straight back.

Please, no one confuse this with blind, baseless loyalty. We can still acknowledge faults, still acknowledge mistakes and still talk about them in other threads too, so it's not about being ignorant and blind to things. This is simply about staying on our feet after a series of blows and choosing to fight back rather than go down. It's about staying on the ride rather than getting off until someone else fixes it, then rejoining again once it's all smooth and rosy again. It's about being a supporter rather than a fan.

We all have our own choices to make on this one. I just find that choosing to stay on your feet, choosing to stay focused and positive and being flexible enough to take the rough with the smooth gets us a lot further in life than the other option of going down, feeling sorry for ourselves does. It's the same in all contexts, and just as relevant to anyone highly invested in their football club.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 03:38:11 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 9, 2021, 03:39:00 pm »

sad thing is, it’s the abuse rather than the analasys is what so many ‘fans’ want these days.

There is a large group of fans who’s main interest is to ‘banter’ and attack and take the piss - basically a large section of football fans on twitter fall into this group, and the punditry and tabloid media caters for them more and more each day. They don’t really care about tactics, and different styles of play, about the nuances or whatever, all they want is ammo to go out and laugh at other teams’ fanbases.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 9, 2021, 03:40:30 pm »
I think much of a what we are seeing and hearing just reflects the fickleness and want-it-all-now nature of modern society. People want to be onboard for the good times, but want to get off when times are tough. They want the parades, but melt away in lean times. It may be human nature to want it all and want it all now, but life doesn't really work out that way, so we all have to learn to accept that in order to have the highs, we have to take the lows too.

When times are tough we have two choices. Honestly, it's as simple as that.
We can choose to wallow in self-pity, choose to point fingers, look for scapegoats to blame, stamp our feet and feel sorry for ourselves, pull the duvet over our heads and hope it all goes away...

... Or, we can take a stand, accept the current situation is what it is, then do what we can to improve it.

We have that choice. We can choose to be positive and supportive, or negative and just another addition to the problem.

It's the same in supporting your club as it is in life. The situation is what it is. How we deal with it is what ultimately counts.

In base terms, we've just been snotted and have a bloody nose.
Our choice; do we go down in tears, whimpering like scolded children, or do we take the blow, stay on our feet and fight back?

Well, this thread is for those who want to stand their ground and fight straight back.

Please, no one confuse this with blind, baseless loyalty. We can still acknowledge faults, still acknowledge mistakes and still talk about them in other threads too, so it's not about being ignorant and blind to things. This is simply about staying on our feet after a series of blows and choosing to fight back rather than go down. It's about staying on the ride rather than getting off until someone else fixes it, then rejoining again once it's all smooth and rosy again. It's about being a supporter rather than a fan.

We all have our own choices to make on this one. I just find that choosing to stay on your feet, choosing to stay focused and positive and being flexible enough to take the rough with the smooth gets us a lot further in life than the other option of going down, feeling sorry for ourselves does. It's the same in all contexts, and just as relevant to anyone highly invested in their football club.

Fantastic post! 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #145 on: February 9, 2021, 04:02:28 pm »
Pearce is spot on, but I think Keane is delivering what he's asked to. It's about providing headlines and sensational quotes rather than thoughtful analysis.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 9, 2021, 04:21:56 pm »
Pearce is spot on, but I think Keane is delivering what he's asked to. It's about providing headlines and sensational quotes rather than thoughtful analysis.

Probably a bit of both.

For sure you are right that this is what they want for the most part, and because he’s always been a bit of a loud-mouth lunatic, I guess they knew he’d have the personality for it and he’s easy to wind up and manipulate. But also, being a great player of course doesn’t guarantee someone is that astute with analysis. It plagues punditry in general how very few actually offer any half decent insight. Pathetic really!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #147 on: February 9, 2021, 04:24:27 pm »
Nice stuff Timbo.

I didn't hear & haven't read the Keane attack on Jurgen but I know it won't bother our manager one bit. Why? Because he's already told us his opinion of Keane's punditry. He told Keane too. He thinks it's a very poor standard. In fact Jurgen laughed in his face.  Keane didn't like that because he has such brittle self-respect. Hence the hilarious attempt at 'revenge'.

It's possible that the current Liverpool team might benefit from a 'yard dog' type of footballer like Keane. But I doubt that too. Everything glorious about the last two or three seasons would have to be jettisoned to accommodate such a yard dog. The major problem we have is of course an injury crisis of unusual scale and permanence. But beyond that our problems are so interwoven with our success that it's perhaps not surprising that when we fail we can sometimes fail spectacularly. Jurgen's Liverpool has never been in the business of battening down the hatches or damage limitation. It attacks and it takes risks - from one to eleven.

It's horrible to lose and to relinquish your crown. But the long-term prospect is rosy so long as Jurgen Klopp is here. I suspect the remaining part of the season will be the best part in terms of results, as the new players get bedded in and old ones return. It's too late for the League. But we have to believe that we can win number 7. For sure, the rest of Europe will not have written us off. It will take one outstanding result for the confidence to flow back into this team and for our rivals to start shitting themselves again - even if the Kop won't be on hand to help for a good while yet.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Its not bloody Diego

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: February 9, 2021, 04:24:33 pm »
There is an alternate universe out there where this season is playing out the same way and last season was voided.

Stop whinging and be thankful you don't exist in that fucking universe!

Number 6 followed by number 19. These lads, these boys.

Faith.

Online Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 9, 2021, 05:07:21 pm »
sad thing is, it’s the abuse rather than the analasys is what so many ‘fans’ want these days.

There is a large group of fans who’s main interest is to ‘banter’ and attack and take the piss - basically a large section of football fans on twitter fall into this group, and the punditry and tabloid media caters for them more and more each day. They don’t really care about tactics, and different styles of play, about the nuances or whatever, all they want is ammo to go out and laugh at other teams’ fanbases.

Same with the "Player X is clear of Player Y", "Imagine thinking Player X is better than player Y", "Disasterclass from Player X, could never be Player Y" etc etc. Weird obsession with other teams rather than your own. Add that to the culture of attacking your own players for attention (#AdrianOut) and Twitter is on it's arse for footy discussion.

That's why, despite the odd terrible shout, these forums should be cherished.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #150 on: February 9, 2021, 05:20:38 pm »
I remember walking out of Anfield in 1981 after we had lost 1:3 to City with Bruce at his calamatous best. The defence was all over the place and it was just a terrible exhibition of a team floundering. However, we stayed with the lads, no mass moaning and even the obligatory abuse to the Kemlyn Road getting off early. It's a great pity we can't be there with today's lads, to show that we support them and we will through what is a very poor period. It's not only the noise that they miss but the sheer desire we give them to try and win. It must be soul destroying to suffer a defeat like Sunday's in an empty stadium.
That is true but I also think the fact that there are no fans in the ground is one of the main reasons we are going through the current bad patch.

Don't think it's any coincidence that Sunday was by far City's best performance at Anfield under Pep. No way would the previous poor performances in the games since West Brom have happened too if Anfield had been full.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 9, 2021, 05:20:48 pm »
Same with the "Player X is clear of Player Y", "Imagine thinking Player X is better than player Y", "Disasterclass from Player X, could never be Player Y" etc etc. Weird obsession with other teams rather than your own. Add that to the culture of attacking your own players for attention (#AdrianOut) and Twitter is on it's arse for footy discussion.

That's why, despite the odd terrible shout, these forums should be cherished.

spot on! Here is the only place to go when times are tough. Yes, there can be discussions and sometimes things go off the rails, and understandably during or straight after games, things can get heated, but most of the time people actually engage their brains before hitting the keyboard!

I wonder what age brackets the regular posters are on RAWK mostly fall into, very nosey of me I know to want to know  ;D  But it’s kinda intriguing. I know there’s plenty of us lets say, not so young posters  ;D

But I hope there’s a load of younger posters too who are here every day, rather than get sucked into the world of sodding Football Twitter (the bad part of it, I’m sure there are some good parts, but they seem to get drowned out too much).

Online Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 9, 2021, 05:31:13 pm »
spot on! Here is the only place to go when times are tough. Yes, there can be discussions and sometimes things go off the rails, and understandably during or straight after games, things can get heated, but most of the time people actually engage their brains before hitting the keyboard!

I wonder what age brackets the regular posters are on RAWK mostly fall into, very nosey of me I know to want to know  ;D  But it’s kinda intriguing. I know there’s plenty of us lets say, not so young posters  ;D

But I hope there’s a load of younger posters too who are here every day, rather than get sucked into the world of sodding Football Twitter (the bad part of it, I’m sure there are some good parts, but they seem to get drowned out too much).

I'm 27 so probably in the middle ground, I think those in my current age bracket are the last few who managed to mostly avoid the void of "Football Twitter" and shite opinions driven by FIFA.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #153 on: February 9, 2021, 05:31:56 pm »
Klopp keeps setting records, unfortunately this season it's about injuries. It's never dull or predictable with Klopp.
Of course the results are disappointing, but I think a lot of it comes from the stark contrast with that record-setting team we had last fall. We were never going to keep that level forever, but nobody expected this blood bath either.

I can't even be too upset with the media. We've gone from being the best team ever, to this, in a very short time. It's such an easy story to write.

I'm just happy that Klopp got the CL and PL titles before this massacre. If this would have happened in his second season, maybe the club would have done something very silly and fired him. Now we have to stay calm and not overreact. We have a great squad, and we're still recruiting very well as Jota showed. The system is sound.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #154 on: February 9, 2021, 05:37:32 pm »

To summarise a lot of 'fans' aren't really that interested in football.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #155 on: February 9, 2021, 05:50:43 pm »
Nice stuff Timbo.

I didn't hear & haven't read the Keane attack on Jurgen but I know it won't bother our manager one bit. Why? Because he's already told us his opinion of Keane's punditry. He told Keane too. He thinks it's a very poor standard. In fact Jurgen laughed in his face.  Keane didn't like that because he has such brittle self-respect. Hence the hilarious attempt at 'revenge'.

It's possible that the current Liverpool team might benefit from a 'yard dog' type of footballer like Keane. But I doubt that too. Everything glorious about the last two or three seasons would have to be jettisoned to accommodate such a yard dog. The major problem we have is of course an injury crisis of unusual scale and permanence. But beyond that our problems are so interwoven with our success that it's perhaps not surprising that when we fail we can sometimes fail spectacularly. Jurgen's Liverpool has never been in the business of battening down the hatches or damage limitation. It attacks and it takes risks - from one to eleven.

It's horrible to lose and to relinquish your crown. But the long-term prospect is rosy so long as Jurgen Klopp is here. I suspect the remaining part of the season will be the best part in terms of results, as the new players get bedded in and old ones return. It's too late for the League. But we have to believe that we can win number 7. For sure, the rest of Europe will not have written us off. It will take one outstanding result for the confidence to flow back into this team and for our rivals to start shitting themselves again - even if the Kop won't be on hand to help for a good while yet.
I agree with most of this. I haven't seen Keane's post match comments as I usually turn off after the final whistle and don't hang around for the post match discussion. It wouldn't surprise me  if there was an element of retribution in what he said, based on the way that Klopp publicly slapped him down earlier this season.

If only there had been a former Liverpool player on hand in the studio to defend Klopp. They could have asked Keane how he thought United would have coped if Vidic, Ferdinand and whoever their third choice CB was had been ruled out in one of the seasons when they were defending champions. I'm guessing there weren't any former Liverpool players around to make this point.

I don't agree that he was a yard dog though. He was a thug at times and fully bought into the way that Ferguson's teams used to bully opposing players and especially match officials. But he was a very good player at his peak. I think Souness was very interested in signing him before left Forest (we ended up with Paul Stewart) and I think he nearly joined Kenny at Blackburn before Ferguson hijacked the deal late on.  That said, he would have struggled if he had to play at centre back like Fab and Hendo had done this season.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 06:15:00 pm by irc65 »

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 9, 2021, 08:22:12 pm »
Sorry if this has already been posted. But the hypocrisy is not surprising

https://mobile.twitter.com/thiago6lcantara/status/1359159306340478980?s=24

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 9, 2021, 08:48:22 pm »
Sorry if this has already been posted. But the hypocrisy is not surprising

https://mobile.twitter.com/thiago6lcantara/status/1359159306340478980?s=24

A mate sent me this earlier, makes interesting reading 😁

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: Supporting the team, Jurgen, Bobby et alia through this injury ravaged season
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2021, 12:43:08 am »
Just needed to change the thread title after reading some of the utter shite in the Bobby Firmino and Jurgen Klopp threads.

I think one post actually said something along the lines of " ...but I do think we need to stick with Klopp next season". The mind boggles.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
Re: Supporting the team, Jurgen, Bobby et alia through this injury ravaged season
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2021, 01:10:29 am »
I’m an eternal optimist so while it’s still mathematically possible I won’t give up on winning the league.  But even if we don’t and despite the dreadful run of form since Christmas we are still only 5 points of second place to a team managed by Ole Gunnar Goblin so second place is clearly up for grabs if we don’t win the league. 

Also the champions league is about to get going again and with the return of Jota and Keita looking likely in the next week or so then I’m more than confident that we can go on and win that.   Blood one of the new centre half’s and put Henderson back in midfield and let’s give Leipzig a good old fashioned pasting.   Come on the red men. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:12:26 am by kezzy »