Author Topic: BT Sport  (Read 179524 times)

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
BT Sport
« on: May 9, 2013, 02:33:00 am »
BT is set to give free access to its new sports channel showing live Premier League football to a million subscribers who take its high-speed fibre optic broadband service.

The telco will unveil details of the plan on May 10th when it reveals full-year figures, likely to show profits up five per cent to £2.5billion (€3bn) for the year to March 31st.

BT is also set to reveal the price of BT Sport for subscribers who take the channel direct from BT rather than via rival broadcasters such as Sky. Most estimates expect it to be around £10 a month.

However, BT and Sky are still in talks over whether BT Sport will be offered to Sky on a wholesale basis for Sky to sell on to its ten million-plus subscribers with a bundle of channels. Alternatively, BT could offer the channel direct to Sky subscribers, who would then have to pay two subscriptions. It currently has 770,000 subscribers to BT Vision, which will include BT Sport when it is launched this summer.

BT is reluctant to offer the rights to Sky wholesale as it fears losing its two million customers who watch Sky TV on BT’s broadband service.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline forrest1980

• Kopite
  • YNWA
Re: BT Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2013, 04:26:35 am »
I've got SKY HD + ESPN just now so hopefully it will just be the same £10 a month for it as BT Sport bought broadcast rights from ESPN for some of their football, etc, etc.

What will be interesting is the amount the broadcast rights gor for next time once this is up......
« Last Edit: May 9, 2013, 04:28:51 am by forrest1980 »
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw , don't support us when we win" - Bill Shankly.......the best quote the great man ever said.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
Nice, I have BT Infinity Fibre Optic so that will be a nice bonus.  The downside?

sportingintelligencesportingintelligence ‏@sportingintel 1m
BT Sport also confirm they've hired Owen Hargeaves, Steve McManaman and David James as pundits; and Michael Owen as co-commentator

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2013, 11:40:22 am »
Owen Gibson ‏@owen_g 8m

New prices: £10 a month for BT Broadband or £15 a month for BT Infinity. All customers will get BT Sport free.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2013, 11:42:31 am »
Michael Owen is among the latest line-up of presenters, commentators and experts to join BT Sport.

The former England striker, due to retire from football at the end of this season, will take up the role of co-commentator alongside Darren Fletcher – one of the most familiar voices on BBC Radio 5 Live – and Ian Darke, who has covered all 21 seasons of the Barclays Premier League as well as Champions League finals and five World Cups for various broadcasters.

In addition, Premier League referee Mark Halsey joins BT Sport in August in a brand new role in the commentary team working across the channels’ football coverage.

Double Champions League winners Owen Hargreaves and Steve McManaman, as well as former England No1 goalkeeper David James MBE, will be on BT Sport’s team of football experts.

As previously announced, sports broadcaster Jake Humphrey will be the anchor of BT Sport’s 38 exclusively live Barclays Premier League football matches while Ray Stubbs joins as chief football reporter.

Accomplished journalist and sports broadcaster Des Kelly joins BT Sport to present a new sports magazine programme, ‘Life’s a Pitch’.

Award-winning broadcaster Clare Balding will present and co-produce a weekly sports magazine chat show that will feature interviews with major sporting names and discussion of big sporting issues. The show will also shine a spotlight on women’s sport. Meanwhile Tim Lovejoy will present a weekend sports magazine programme along with guest co presenters.

BT Sport will show exclusive coverage of up to 69 live rugby union games from the Aviva Premiership. Coverage will be presented by established broadcaster Craig Doyle. He will be joined by former England captain and lead rugby expert Lawrence Dallaglio. Joining them will be former England internationals Matt Dawson, Ben Kay, Austin Healey and Martin Bayfield.

BT Sport has also signed a deal with the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) to show matches from 21 global tournaments. The greatest female tennis player of all time, Martina Navratilova, will be the channels’ tennis expert and tournament anchor. She joins TV and radio personality Lynsey Hipgrave. BT has also signed up British tennis player Heather Watson to star in the TV advertising campaign.

As already announced, Rio Ferdinand will join as an interviewer, programme-maker and football expert, while BT Sport has signed up several ambassadors who will feature in TV ads and marketing campaigns as well as make regular guest appearances on the new channels.

Gareth Bale will be at the forefront of BT’s marketing campaign. Joining him for the next three years will be Barclays Premier League top scorer Robin van Persie of Manchester United and Arsenal and England star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. BT Sport has also signed up Everton’s Marouane Fellaini, Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen and England and Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart.

Joining as Ambassadors from the world of Rugby Union are England and Harlequins captain Chris Robshaw, Leicester Tigers player Manu Tuilagi, and Saracens’ Owen Farrell.

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-sport-announces-a-great-line-up-of-sporting-talent/

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
I'll have to see how good their broadband is. I've been pretty happy with Sky. Well close enough anyway. They don't impose download restrictions or restrict anything so if BT offer the same it would be easy to change over.

I guess it would mean watching the football over the internet if you only buy that package though so it would have be a pretty good connection.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2013, 11:46:10 am by Surprise me. »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2013, 12:40:16 pm »
An alternative to the PR spiel (the Lovejoy book review link is worth a look too):

‘Michael Owen As Lead Co-Commentator’ – BT Sport Football Coverage Sounds Like A Bloody Nightmare!

BT Sport are throwing their launch party as we speak and, Christ Almighty, the tidbits being leaked by journos on Twitter vis-a-vis their football coverage is  already making it sound like some sort of hellish nightmare. If you had to pick your worst possible panel, you probably couldn’t do much worse than BT themselves.

Before the live action starts (BT have secured the rights to 38 live Premier League games for 2013/14), viewers will start the morning in the company of the entirely self-absorbed shitsponge that is Tim Lovejoy, who will present a”fresh and innovative Saturday morning sports show”.

So…that’ll be a Soccer AM knock-off then, yeah? How very fresh and innovative.

(While we’re on the subject of Lovejoy, this never gets old)

Bland ex-Bamzooki and F1 anchor Jake Humphreys will be the main man (the omnipresent Claire Balding is also on board in some capacity), with pundit places for Owen Hargreaves, David James and Steve McManamanamanamnanman.

Gah!

Ian Darke and the actually excellent Darren Fletcher are signed up as the two main commentators, while referee Mike Halsey will also be popping into the studio once in a while to provide an “officials point of view”.

And here it is. The smelliest nugget in this big barrel of festering crap kernels: it’s been confirmed that Michael Owen is going to be the channel’s “lead co-commentator”.

No. Thank. You. The man is a dullard par excellence. The man talks in binary for crying out loud! That said, there’s a certain wry irony in having a colour commentator who drains all the hue from the world each and every time he opens his mouth.

All this for £18 a month.

It sounds like one, giant, ill-conceived clusterf**k to us. In fact, it sounds like ITV Digital all over again.

We’ll pass.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fail/165085/michael-owen-as-lead-co-commentator-bt-sport-football-coverage-sounds-like-a-bloody-nightmare.html

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »
An alternative to the PR spiel (the Lovejoy book review link is worth a look too):

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fail/165085/michael-owen-as-lead-co-commentator-bt-sport-football-coverage-sounds-like-a-bloody-nightmare.html
Good article. Interested in getting it at some point but I can't believe they've given Owen the co-commentary job, have they not watched his tour of Dubai?

Hopefully they see the reaction and shift him to an occasional pundit quickly.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
BT Sport
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2013, 07:38:26 pm »
I've been contemplating getting rid of my BT broadband because they throttle the DL speeds at peak times which annoys the shit out of me. Think this might swing it back to keeping it for now.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2013, 10:11:52 pm »
BT Sport is available on Sky at an additional cost right, similar to the way ESPN works currently?
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2013, 10:31:48 pm »
I've been contemplating getting rid of my BT broadband because they throttle the DL speeds at peak times which annoys the shit out of me. Think this might swing it back to keeping it for now.
I just moved to their infinity unlimited package. They do not throttle P2P on that. This football thing sounds too good to be true. Hope it is...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
BT Sport
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2013, 11:11:40 pm »
I just moved to their infinity unlimited package. They do not throttle P2P on that. This football thing sounds too good to be true. Hope it is...

I've got that and it still happens, everyday around 5pm-8pm my download speed is about 10k a sec. Do it at midday and I get 3-5mb
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:55 am »
BT Sport is available on Sky at an additional cost right, similar to the way ESPN works currently?
Yes.  It will cost £18 per month to subscribe.

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:17:05 am »
Yes.  It will cost £18 per month to subscribe.

The way I read it was £10 per month or £15 for HD.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
Re: Re: BT Sport
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 07:55:14 am »
I've got that and it still happens, everyday around 5pm-8pm my download speed is about 10k a sec. Do it at midday and I get 3-5mb

There must be something wrong with your connection. No way does BT Fibre (or any Fibre product) only give 5Mb off-peak.

I have also been reliably informed that BT do NOT throttle their Infinity service.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:47:50 am by Smudgester »

Offline fowler99

• Anny Roader
BT Sport
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:05:55 am »
This is a good move for BT and once the rights for the champions league open up I'm sure they will go for that. They also have exclusive UFC rights too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »
I wonder how Virgin will carry BT Sport. I am on the XL package and get all the ESPN channels. Would love Virgin to offer BT Sport the same as they have ESPN but I suspect they wont.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »
The way I read it was £10 per month or £15 for HD.

No prices confirmed as yet as BT and Sky are still arguing over the wholesale cost to Sky which BT will charge them.  Even if Sky don't make a profit on the subscription charge (very unlikely) they are going to lose a lot of their customers who are likely to move their broadband supply over to BT to take advantage of the inclusive BT Sport part of the package. 

I bet Sky executives are bricking it right now.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »
No prices confirmed as yet as BT and Sky are still arguing over the wholesale cost to Sky which BT will charge them.

The BT Sport website said £12 to Sky customers

EDIT: From the BT Sport website "Alternatively, add BT Sport to your Sky Digital Satellite Platform for £12 a month plus a one-off £15 activation fee. One month minimum term.
You won't pay any monthly charges until the channels launch on 1st August."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:18:26 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »
I have BT Broadband (Fibre optic not yet reached the countryside!) and as an existing customer have just ordered BT Sport HD to be added for free to my sky package. If you're an existing BT customer you need to order this before August. I will also be able to view this online if I'm away using MyBT log in on their website.  After 12 months free the price seems to be £12 per month plus an extra £3 for HD - so £15 from August 2014
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Philipm20

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:56 pm »
If you are with BT broadband do you not continue to get the channel free after a year and its just the HD you have to pay for?

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »
If you are with BT broadband do you not continue to get the channel free after a year and its just the HD you have to pay for?

That is my reading of the T&Cs. Channels viewable through Sky box in HD for free for the first year, then £3 per month after for HD. I just signed up today.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »

You might be right.  The Free HD element is certainly only available for a year, hopefully the free coverage will continue for existing BT BB customers
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
The BT Sport website said £12 to Sky customers

Add an extra £3 per month for HD

Talks have broken down apparently between BT and Sky regarding the cost which BT will charge Sky for carrying the channels on it's platform. This is bad news for Sky who are going to be at a big dis-advantage and i can see Sky subscribers to it's broadband switching in droves to BT unless Sky rapidly comes up with a more competitive pricing schedule.

All this competition can only be good news financially for us subscribers, at least for the first year, after which BT will no doubt bump up the cost in the name of the great god mammon.

Offline fowler99

• Anny Roader
BT Sport
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »
^^ no they wont. The are in this for the long run, not here for a year to gain some customers then rack up the prices.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:50:05 pm »
Add an extra £3 per month for HD

Talks have broken down apparently between BT and Sky regarding the cost which BT will charge Sky for carrying the channels on it's platform. This is bad news for Sky who are going to be at a big dis-advantage and i can see Sky subscribers to it's broadband switching in droves to BT unless Sky rapidly comes up with a more competitive pricing schedule.

All this competition can only be good news financially for us subscribers, at least for the first year, after which BT will no doubt bump up the cost in the name of the great god mammon.

I think the prices are confirmed now, Sky and BT did not come to a deal which means you need to get to get the channel activated by BT (rather than by sky which is what happens for ESPN).  Price is £12 per month £15 for HD but it looks like you get HD free for a year if you sign up early.

For most people the best deal will be to swap over their broadband, I personally can't be bothered with the hassle for what will probably work out as £30-£40 per year saving.

What will be interesting is how sky react, their broadband prices will start dropping soon.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »
I can already get BT Sport 1 and 2 and 1 HD on my Sky EPG.

Right now just showing ads for the service.

So I guess it most be going to Sky.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
I can already get BT Sport 1 and 2 and 1 HD on my Sky EPG.

Right now just showing ads for the service.

So I guess it most be going to Sky.
It is, but will presumably go encrypted when it launches properly. It's supposedly £12 a month. No announcement of multiroom pricing though and if they think people will pay £12 a box they might be in for a surprise.

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 06:59:41 pm »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 07:46:33 pm »

What will be interesting is how sky react, their broadband prices will start dropping soon.

Sky's broadband prices are already the best out there for non-cable customers. I'm on unlimited broadband, 12 month contract with 6 months free and the other 6 months at £7.50 a month.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline fowler99

• Anny Roader
BT Sport
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 11:40:15 pm »
That's just standard copper no?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 01:03:29 am »
That's just standard copper no?

It is, can't get cable at mine yet. BT charge £16 for the same package and you're tied in for an extra 6 months and the line rental is more expensive. Supposed to get Infinity by mine in the next year so may switch then.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:20 am »
There must be something wrong with your connection. No way does BT Fibre (or any Fibre product) only give 5Mb off-peak.

I have also been reliably informed that BT do NOT throttle their Infinity service.

They definitely don't throttle Infinity from what I've seen, I've had pretty much full speed 24/7 since mine was installed.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:52 am »
Looks like you're fucked if you're on Virgin.
:D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »
It might be a silly question (not really clued up on this) but if say you know someone who is subscribed to BT, can you download the app which allows you to watch sport on your iPad say and watch it from another location (i.e. at someones house who may have Sky/Virgin Broadband) if you have the BT Sport username/password?

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »
It might be a silly question (not really clued up on this) but if say you know someone who is subscribed to BT, can you download the app which allows you to watch sport on your iPad say and watch it from another location (i.e. at someones house who may have Sky/Virgin Broadband) if you have the BT Sport username/password?

Good question. Would also love to know this. Seen as I have someones account details... And I have Sky... Could I use BT log in details... hmm I wonder...

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
Not going to happen guys, easy enough to check if there are multiple locations logged in at once.
:D

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:56 pm »
Not going to happen guys, easy enough to check if there are multiple locations logged in at once.

Some of us know people who won't use it though. My mum has BT Vision but won't watch the football, what's to stop me using her login?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 05:16:21 pm »
Only problem I have with Infinity is that torrenting during the day is a no no, my downloads crawl along at something like 0.1Mb/s - regular internet not affected at all, including legal downloads, streaming, gaming e.t.c