The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

Wolves away - 4th May 1976

<< < (18/19) > >>

Lad:

--- Quote from: Redsnappa's Xmascrackers on November 13, 2017, 08:30:10 am ---Found a couple of photos from that incredible night - never seen the Keegan one before ...

Look at the stand at the back ... the fucking things still packed with thousands of us on the pitch  ;D

--- End quote ---

It’s the fashions that get you. I was on the pitch and my kecks must have been flapping like sails. What a night that was. I posted my memories a few years back.

commando:
I bunked off school at dinner time to go to this in a Hillman Imp. Straight down the A41 into Wolves. A horrible crush to get in, but ended up not paying when the gate gave way at the bottom hinge and we went under shitting  ourselves in case the top hinge gave way and it came down on top of us.
The game seemed to pass in a flash and before I knew it I was on the pitch with thousands of others. I dug up a piece of the turf and added it to our lawn in Hoylake Rd when I got home.
It was funny going into school the next day and about twenty of us handing the teacher notes from our mums explaining our absence from school the previous afternoon. Mine said that I had a migraine. Who knows what other maladies struck the others.

free_at_last:

--- Quote from: kriss on December  4, 2012, 06:04:56 pm ---The South Bank at Molineux was in the 1970s the second-largest terrace in the country after the Holte End at Villa Park. It could hold 30,000 and it surely did on the evening we won the title there in 1976.

--- End quote ---
  I remember looking round me in that stand and wondering why the Wolves fans weren't in it. They were in a little cowshed at the
other end but they probably wouldn't fill that big end so they preferred the smaller enclosed end. It certainly rivalled the Kop
for size and that night for noise.
 My greatest ever away game and I was so lucky to get in. I hitched down and got there quite late - I saw a mate walking back
and he said "You've got no chance of getting in - it's chocker" . I could see the crowd for hundreds of yards. I was walking past
some derelict building and for some reason I'll never know I decided to clamber through it and see where it went - I actually
came out the other side about 20 yards from the turnstiles! A few muttered apologies to fellow Reds and i mingled in and was in :)

Statto Red:
Was this around the time when there was no segregation that you could go anywhere in the home end, may have been that summer when segregation was brought in?

Would have been a 7.30pm kickoff in those days[& 10 minute halftime break, fuck this 15 minute halftime break so TV can have a couple of ad breaks in] & no live TV for league matches then, only highlights & Midweek highlights were on either Sportsnight on BBC or Midweek Sport Special on ITV.

I know couple of auld arses who went, couple are Reds the other a Wolves fan, i was far too young, most likeli be in bed being only a baby then, sometimes i feel like i was born 10 years too late.

free_at_last:

--- Quote from: Statto Red on June 20, 2018, 09:24:19 am ---Was this around the time when there was no segregation that you could go anywhere in the home end, may have been that summer when segregation was brought in?

Would have been a 7.30pm kickoff in those days[& 10 minute halftime break, fuck this 15 minute halftime break so TV can have a couple of ad breaks in] & no live TV for league matches then, only highlights & Midweek highlights were on either Sportsnight on BBC or Midweek Sport Special on ITV.

I know couple of auld arses who went, couple are Reds the other a Wolves fan, i was far too young, most likeli be in bed being only a baby then, sometimes i feel like i was born 10 years too late.

--- End quote ---
  There was no official segregation but there was self-segregation in that you knew if you went in the home end you would be in for a scrap and most likely outnumbered.
 I remember Wolves in particular a few years earlier. We were all milling round where the coaches all parked up and, when the
numbers seemed about right, set off for the ground. "Right , we're going in the Wolves end" shouts someone at the front and
we all follow like sheep. It was all uneventful walking to the ground and even getting through the turnstiles so we're walking
along the concourse towards the steps up to the Wolves end and some soft shite sings out "Liv-er-pool". I cringed because
I knew what was coming next. Everybody joins in "Liv-er-pool" as we start up these stairs and the Wolves fans appear at the
top and sides and pelt us with bottles and all kinds(it's fair enough - imagine if an away team invaded the KOP :)).
 To cut a long story short we managed to get to the top of the stairs, bloody and battered and got chased on to pitch where
we had to retreat to the other end with our tails between our legs.
...actually, looking back that, soft shite probably saved us a bigger hiding if we had got into their end and the battle commenced
as we would have been totally outnumbered :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version