Author Topic: Religion and your partner  (Read 1501 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Religion and your partner
« on: June 9, 2020, 09:06:23 pm »
Just wondered if anyone is in a relationship with someone or even married where you have very different religious beliefs. For example you are from two different religious backgrounds or one of you believes in God and one is an atheist etc. Does it ever effect your relationship and if you've had children how did you decide how to raise them with differing beliefs?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Religion and your partner
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:22 am »
Catholic v Proddy here - we went with the grandparents that were alive. I'd say we are both atheists with a God shaped hole in our hearts - we both love a good pray and hymn, and I must say the community in my dad's church is very nice for him and whenever I see him we go to mass together.
My daughter's an adult now and is a bit resentful to us doing the whole communion / confirmation / mass / Sunday school (they called it "little church"), but we say at least she's got something to moan about with her friends.
I've got a mate that converted to Islam to keep his wife happy but it doesn't seem such a big deal (his family like a beer so he's sound with it).
I suppose with kids my philosophy was to teach them to do the right thing because it's the right thing.
I'd say it would be harder to be married to a diehard and vociferous Manc or Tory Chelsea fan
Good luck

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:51:33 am »
I was brought up Protestant and my partner Catholic.

Personally, I'm not a fan of religious indoctrination, and once old enough to think for myself I'd describe my take on it as agnostic. We very, very rarely ever talk about religion and it plays no part in our relationship and causes no issues between us at all.

For me, it's far more important that she's a Red.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 07:53:07 am »
I was brought up Catholic but I'm an atheist and my wife was brought up Protestant but isn't overly religious. She does believe in God and an afterlife and all that shite but I think that's her coping mechanism for death more than anything else (she's really freaked out by death and hates talking about it).

We haven't had our daughter christened and have no intention of raising her to be religious. She's not going to a church school so hopefully she will learn about all different faiths and come to a conclusion on her own at some point.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:00:54 am »
My other half is Hindu, I was christened CofE.  Never been an issue.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:10:24 am »
I've no belief in god and when our eldest was born my wife was insistent we'd were getting him baptised (thats CofE isn't it?). Her Dad really wanted it, she wanted it, I wasn't arsed either way as he'd be left to make his own mind up on religion. Then I hatched a cunning plan, I pretended to be very against it and as a compromise I said I would allow him to be baptised on the condition he got brought up a Red and they did not try to infect him with the Utd evil.

My biggest issue is the bigots who hide behind religion. My parents were catholic/protestant and a priest told my Ma and Dad that their marriage wasn't recognised by god and me and our kid were bastards. My Dad told the priest to get out of the house before he knocked him out. No time at all for c*nts like that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:33 am »
I don't think I'd be able to have a relationship with someone who has strong religious beliefs, but other people seem to make it work.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:59 am »
I don't think I'd be able to have a relationship with someone who has strong religious beliefs, but other people seem to make it work.

The only time I think it would get complicated is when kids come into the equation. My preference would be for them not to grow up religious or go to Church but I think my current girlfriend would want them to go to Church but wouldn't force anything on them. I personally wouldn't go to Church which could be confusing for a child.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:57 am »
My mum was CofE but went to a Catholic school as it was the only one and my Dad was a Methodist but not religious at all.

We went to Sunday school and to a Church school, again it was the only one, and both me and my sister were Confirmed but not my brother.  Mum said it was so we could have a church wedding.

I'm more spiritual than religious, have never married in church and dont intend to be interned on consecrated ground when I'm dead.

My kids were both Baptised but never went to church or got Confirmed and none of my grandchildren have been Baptised.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 11:45:17 am »
I'm Proddy and me Mrs is Catholic, the most religious I've ever been is shouting celtic/RANGERS on the Kop & watching the Orange Lodge.
Religion isn't a thing in our house at all.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 01:41:19 pm »
No religion me. Partner CofE, Kids no religion. If they find religion later on in their life, so be it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 05:12:13 pm »

I'm pretty much the same. Each to their own, of course, but I want no part in it myself.

I thought my friend was brought up in such a fantastic way. Her Dad taught her about the main religions and encouraged her to read up on them and other religions then make her own mind up on it and come to her own conclusions. Now to me, that is brilliant parenting. Anyway, my friend is respectful of people's personal beliefs, but chose not to follow any religion herself after careful consideration.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 06:18:58 pm »
Just wondered if anyone is in a relationship with someone or even married where you have very different religious beliefs.

Yeah, my wife’s family are all Toffees...

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 06:27:15 pm »
Family are CofE but we’ve never been the sort to go to church. I’ve been atheist since a really young age and won’t be bringing my kids up going to church. I don’t think I could be with anyone Uber religious.

My missus was brought up catholic and teaches in a catholic school but again her family never really grew up going to church and she’d class herself as atheist too. So we’re a good match in that regard.

I did once go out with a vicars daughter for a few years. Although he didn’t have a leg to stand on as ended up getting kicked out having an affair with a local primary school teacher  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 08:37:09 pm »
Family are CofE but we’ve never been the sort to go to church. I’ve been atheist since a really young age and won’t be bringing my kids up going to church. I don’t think I could be with anyone Uber religious.

My missus was brought up catholic and teaches in a catholic school but again her family never really grew up going to church and she’d class herself as atheist too. So we’re a good match in that regard.

I did once go out with a vicars daughter for a few years. Although he didn’t have a leg to stand on as ended up getting kicked out having an affair with a local primary school teacher  ;D

...heads to google.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 12:53:55 pm »
Me and the better half are both of the same faith, but her family are way more religious than mine. It does lead to arguments, but there are more important things to argue about.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »
We're both committed atheists.

I was brought up Catholic - Went to Grammar school run by Christian brothers in full religious paraphernalia. Class mass, house mass, school mass, prayers before first lesson in the morning, prayers after last lesson in the afternoon. 7 years of that cured any religious notions I may have ever felt [which were none, as I recall].

Wife was CofE but never really went to church.

Left kids to make their own minds up, and neither is remotely religious. My son came out with a cracker when he was about 12. We were talking about religion and he said it was pointless arguing with people over which version of a pretend man in the sky was the best one.

Summed it up quite nicely for me too.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 01:53:38 pm »

Rather than being Uber religious, he seems to have gotten a Lyft from his local relations...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
I left one of the finest women I have ever met because I figured out what religion is, and she said she was keeping her faith (we met through a church). Both of us long term married now, both still got a hidden flame for each other. Her husband knows she feels that way about me, but I keep out of their way to not interfere.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 07:59:16 pm »
My other half is religious, i see myself as Atheist but i do go to mass with her just as a family thing with the daughters, i'm from a Catholic background but i think deep down i've always been Atheist.

She's American and has a Mexican background on her Dad's side so religion is a big part of anyone with Mexican heritage, she not a overly religious type "Thank God", going to Church
 is her wanting to pass that heritage down to our daughters.

I have to say i've mastered the art of zoning out at Mass. ;D

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."