Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 126642 times)

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #200 on: December 5, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
Virgin have finally launched the TV Anywhere app for Android devices although it's not currently compatible with the new Kitkat version.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:58 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of getting VM multi-room, but before I give it any more thought is it necessary for all boxes to be the same? I currently have a TiVo box but want my second box to be the regular HD one if possible as I can't be doing with the additional TiVo fees.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »
We've got multi room with VM and have TiVo downstairs and the normal HD recordy box upstairs.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of getting VM multi-room, but before I give it any more thought is it necessary for all boxes to be the same? I currently have a TiVo box but want my second box to be the regular HD one if possible as I can't be doing with the additional TiVo fees.
I have 1 x Tivo downstairs, 1 x HD box in my bedroom and 2 x normal boxes in the 2 lodgers rooms
cyas

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2014, 06:35:23 pm »
Yeah I've got multi room. TiVo downstairs, just a normal HD one upstairs but no recording function on it. Contract is up in April. Probably going to stay with them but will try to get a better deal. Sky BB in my house is shite, which is the reason I went with Virgin in the first place
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2014, 07:43:37 pm »
Thanks for that. I shall give VM a call and see what I can squeeze out of them.

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »
Ive got a TIVO downstairs and one of those older v+ boxes in bedroom upstairs
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:19 pm »
the tivo box has had spotify added recently. slower than any other device but good for parties so people can pick their tunes
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »
I've just logged onto myvirginmedia.com to see a message from them saying they'll be upgrading my broadband service from 60mb to 100mb some time between March & July next year, they claim it's a free upgrade but I strongly suspect their prices will be rising sooner rather than later, still it's a nice little increase.
Well they increased the speeds round my neck of the woods earlier this week and my 60mb line is now giving me:

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:11 pm »
Will they ever get Sky Atlantic?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 2, 2014, 10:13:43 am »
Anybody round merseyside lose Internet last night and still not got it back?

Just as I have a really important deadline due for friday. Connecting to the router fine, but saying broadband modem isn't connected to the Internet
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #211 on: April 2, 2014, 12:14:08 pm »
Fine for me in Aintree mate

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 2, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »
Anybody round merseyside lose Internet last night and still not got it back?

Just as I have a really important deadline due for friday. Connecting to the router fine, but saying broadband modem isn't connected to the Internet
Go check on your virgin account and it will say if there's any problem in your area or not.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 2, 2014, 05:35:46 pm »
Ta lads, phoned them up looks like my modem is dead. Chose its time to die like, and they can't get a technician out until Friday. Meh
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The Purple Tape

• Goes into town, buys Belgian chocolates and fine wines, comes home, gets lotion, mouths "You're looking so good today, baby" to himself in the mirror, takes himself to sensual places the like of which no human has ever known.
  • Anny Roader
  • l
« Reply #214 on: April 3, 2014, 01:25:18 pm »
Been with these since August. Great setup but fucking hell, the price increases take the piss a bit don't they? Already gone up £7 between August and Feb. Going to ring them up and see if I can broker a cheaper price or a discount. Not happy at all. That's £84 a year more than I agreed to.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 4, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »
Technician came today and was laughing saying my modem was absolutely ancient.

Gave me some new flashy modem that doesn't require me to own a separate router anymore.

My speed seems to have gone up too, managed to get 20.5 mb/s, he said he boosted some signal or something.

Free speed upgrade here isn't until January-June 2015 though, pity.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2014, 09:31:22 pm »
Just signed up with them for my new house - do they block many sites a la streaming, sites like rapidshare (the new age ones) etc?
JFT97

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »
Just signed up with them for my new house - do they block many sites a la streaming, sites like rapidshare (the new age ones) etc?

Yep.... Virgin are terrible for it, they block EVERYTHING.
Filestube, Rapidshare, Piratebay.... you name it, (I'm not naming any good ones just in case) they block it.

But things like unblock.es and hidemyass will get around it

http://unblocksit.es/

http://www.hidemyass.com/

To be fair it's not just Virgin but I am SICK of seeing their sign on all of these sites saying that they've blocked it.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:59 pm »

Yep.... Virgin are terrible for it, they block EVERYTHING.
Filestube, Rapidshare, Piratebay.... you name it, (I'm not naming any good ones just in case) they block it.

But things like unblock.es and hidemyass will get around it

http://unblocksit.es/

http://www.hidemyass.com/

To be fair it's not just Virgin but I am SICK of seeing their sign on all of these sites saying that they've blocked it.

Great....cheers for the workarounds. Hoping they don't block some of the XBMC addons I use!
JFT97

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »
What do you guys pay for TV XL, Sky Sports and ESPN, BT Sport, HD, high speed broadband and phone (evenings and weekends)?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Great....cheers for the workarounds. Hoping they don't block some of the XBMC addons I use!
http://fuckoff-and-die.com/proxies.html
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »
What do you guys pay for TV XL, Sky Sports and ESPN, BT Sport, HD, high speed broadband and phone (evenings and weekends)?

About £72 a month. Admittedly that's after having had it more than a year, so I was able to haggle a discount. Last year I think it was about £95, and that was without the phone line.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:36 am »
Ok thanks for that, we're about £100 and it keeps creeping up. Time for a chat.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »

That's exactly my package and it's about 90 quid. I have the v hd box upstairs too.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »
Ok thanks, yeah we have TiVo downstairs and HD box upstairs.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:50 pm »
Looks like the full suite of Sky Sports channels will soon be available in HD as well as Sky Sports 5 HD.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-News/More-more-more-Virgin-Media-teams-up-with-Sky-to-bring-you-more/td-p/2305615

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2014, 09:54:29 pm »
My Virgin broadband is fast, but there are regular broadband outages in our area, seems to die for several hours on a weekly basis recently. Seems to be worse when it rains heavily, old infrastructure, I suppose..

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »
Twats

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »
Looks like the full suite of Sky Sports channels will soon be available in HD as well as Sky Sports 5 HD.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-News/More-more-more-Virgin-Media-teams-up-with-Sky-to-bring-you-more/td-p/2305615
about time. the golf is often on sky sports 4 and it really benefits from being high definition.
poetry in motion

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »
First year contract is finally up with these, anyone had any luck recently calling up threatening to cancel for a better deal?
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »
First year contract is finally up with these, anyone had any luck recently calling up threatening to cancel for a bet

They knocked me 13 quid off but had to renew for a further year. Pretty shite

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »

Would expect more than that really, currently paying about £85 for XL TV, 60MB BB & Tivo with an extra box. Seems a bit steep from what i have read other have been getting over at AV Forums.

Happy with the service so wouldn't mind renewing if it's a decent discount.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2014, 04:37:01 pm »
Sky have them over a barrel to be honest,  not much discounting they can do on sky sports and movies.
poetry in motion

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »
Seems virgin bb users are having some issues up and down the country today. Quick browse around the forums say its a DNS issue, so if your finding pages not loading or taking a while to resolve themselves, change your dns settings.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2014, 03:28:16 pm »
I have a contract with these guys until November. But I'm moving back in with my parents in August. Will I have to suck it up and buy out the contract or is there anything I can do?

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 1, 2014, 01:50:49 pm »
I have a contract with these guys until November. But I'm moving back in with my parents in August. Will I have to suck it up and buy out the contract or is there anything I can do?
I had exact same situation with Sky, 6 months left on the contract. Phoned up to pay the remaining 6 months and they just cancelled it for free for me.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »
Just signed up with Virgin after 4 years with Sky.

One 1TB TiVo box, 2 other HD recordable boxes, full TV package Inc all sports (ESPN, BT, Sky Sports) All movies, on demand etc. 152mb broadband and free weekend calls. £89 for 12 months then £99 for the last 6 months of the 18 month contract; also got £50 off my first bill.

Is this a decent deal?
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:33 pm »
I think we pay around £86 and that's without the movies and 30mb broadband. 500GB Tivo and 1 V+ Box. You've got yourself a cracking deal there!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2014, 03:14:33 am »
Just make sure that you cancel any direct debit because Virgin, seemingly as standard practice, go back to your bank a couple of months after cancellation and try to start claiming it again. At which point you will get a letter saying you are in default for a month and they are setting their dogs on you.

I think all the companies do this, but Virgin do it every single time in my experience, so get names when you cancel, even if you think your contract has expired, they are all rollovers, and they will not give you a letter.

Tell them a month in advance, and use their email thing, and save the lot, not just on email but also on a text file, and cancel the direct debit yourself, and check it remains cancelled. It should do nowadays, and if it doesn't the bank is liable, which is the only reason nowadays why it normally is, but I guarantee these nice-sounding people on the phone, 2 months down the line, will head back to your bank, and if you have not closed it personally, they will start withdrawing the money again, and you will be none the wiser, and have no service for it.

Even if you buy it out they will keep charging you if they can. Essentially, do not trust them at all, and if you phone them, get names, numbers, and tell them you are recording the call. Always get a managers name. Also, make a note every time you are put on hold. Sometimes it's better to use a different phone, because they recognize your number if you are with them, and more often than not have no interest in speaking to you. An unrecognized number, however, could be a new customer, so they pick up.

You would be astounded to find out just how corrupt and bent these companies are.

Sorry for going on a bit but the type of games they hurt people with pisses me off immensely.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:20 pm »
I think we pay around £86 and that's without the movies and 30mb broadband. 500GB Tivo and 1 V+ Box. You've got yourself a cracking deal there!

Yeah, happy with it to be honest. I haggled with a (british) sales lad for a good few days after getting nowhere with the annoying Manila call centre.

I've never used Virgin, just hope the navigation is as good as Sky....and the broadband has to be better than the grim 1MB speed I was getting with Sky.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.