The Liverpool FC Forum > Gaming Board for consoles, PC & mobile

The PC Gaming Thread

(1/739) > >>

hesbighesred:
What with Battlefield 3 coming out I've been looking for a PC equivalent to the Xbox thread and haven't been able to find one.

Boast about your insane gaming rig here. Laugh condascendingly at someone else's meagre 250+ game collection. Have a tedious 14 page discussion about how you managed to squeeze and extra frame per second out of Counter Strike: Source by replacing your solid state drive with a block of mature cheddar.

Most of all, lets make this a forum to talk about the awesomeness that is PC gaming. What games are you playing? Do you play multiplayer? Fancy a game of Starcraft 2/Left 4 Dead/Battlefield etc etc? Where DID you get that awesome mod?

Clearly to be on this forum you have to have a PC, and I would think that many of you use it to game to some degree. It's bizarre that there isn't a forum for the PC gamer types, so here it is, let the geekery begin!

hesbighesred:
I personally can't wait for Skyrim. It's a testament to how much I'm looking forward to that one that I'm seeing Battlefield 3, released this Friday I think, as merely something to play until Skyrim comes out.

Anyway, to start us off here's a couple of big recommendations.

If you remember Morrowind, or can't wait until Skyrim, get yourself a copy of it (the Game of the Year edition is incredibly cheap everywhere) and install this mod:

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2011/01/03/morrowind-2011-mod-complete-download-here/

The instructions are detailed and comprehensive, though make sure you follow EVERY step, step-by-step, and it really does make a Morrowind worthy of 2011. I was playing it for a good couple of months, Morrowind is an utterly awesome game, one of the very coolest worlds ever created for PC.

I also recommend you buy Altitude. It's a simple as hell 2d indie game based around 'plane battles. Fast, furious, fiendish and perfectly balanced I am hopelessly addicted to the 'planeball' mode. Despite having a pretty sweet rig, and despite spending stupid amounts on games, and having all sorts of AAA titles, Deus Ex: HR remains almost untouched while this little beauty just continues to rack up hour after hour after hour of playtime. Just awesome, and awesomely old-skool: http://altitudegame.com/

Does anyone play Minecraft? I still haven't tried it. What's the attraction?

Is anyone else nigh on purple with rage that, after so many years of desperate waiting, we ARE going to get a new Syndicate AND a new X:Com game only to find out they're both fucking FPS games? What the hell? Because we're so overstuffed in gaming with more strategic games based around control of a party of minions, and I just can't remember the last time an FPS came out.

Seriously, does my head in. Awesome ideas like those get left to rot but Modern Warfare has a new release every three weeks with map packs at £300 pounds a pop or whatever satanic price they are now. Oh well.

As a last note, I highly recommend Rock, Paper Shotgun for gaming news, reviews and a quite awesome column on board games. Definitely my favourite gaming read, though I quite like the odd PC Gamer too.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/
http://www.pcgamer.com/

Handily RPS has a preview of BF3 up.

My steam ID is shroedingers_cat if anyone wants to add me. That's also my name on the epic altitude. On BFBC2 I'm Bromide Sandwich, and will probably use that name again for BF3, though frankly it's far too cool a name for my level of abilty. Strange how often the best players have utterly shit names!

Anyway, tara for now and Happy gaming.

DanFromMars:
Currently on my second playthrough of the Witcher 2 with everything set to the highest settings, apart from ubersampling.  Really enjoying this, Patch 2.0 has introduced a few neat things like arena, which I plan on using near the end game with all the best equipment you can get.  Only gripe about this game is there isn't enough side-quests in the places you visit.  I want 20+ missions in each area instead of the 2-5, paticularly toward the end of the game when you get an amazing set of swords and armour, max your talents out only to complete the last mission and game over...

I guess the fact that the game really has two halves with who you side with and you get another different playthough when you start over.  Fantastic game nontheless, any role playing fan with a decent pc should play this.

Getting Bf3, never really played an online shooter before, so going to try this out. My time will probably be mostly invested in spending 300+ hours on my first playthrough of Skyrim.

hesbighesred:

--- Quote from: DanFromMars on October 25, 2011, 02:28:57 pm ---Currently on my second playthrough of the Witcher 2 with everything set to the highest settings, apart from ubersampling.  Really enjoying this, Patch 2.0 has introduced a few neat things like arena, which I plan on using near the end game with all the best equipment you can get.  Only gripe about this game is there isn't enough side-quests in the places you visit.  I want 20+ missions in each area instead of the 2-5, paticularly toward the end of the game when you get an amazing set of swords and armour, max your talents out only to complete the last mission and game over...

I guess the fact that the game really has two halves with who you side with and you get another different playthough when you start over.  Fantastic game nontheless, any role playing fan with a decent pc should play this.

Getting Bf3, never really played an online shooter before, so going to try this out. My time will probably be mostly invested in spending 300+ hours on my first playthrough of Skyrim.

--- End quote ---
It does end too quickly doesn't it?

An absolutely phenomenal game made, really loved it. I need to play through again because I had a save just before the big divergeance in the forest. Arena could be fun, I love, love, love the fighting in the Witcher, and personally I love the slightly backwards difficulty curve. It's nice that, in a game where you are supposed to be a nigh-on unstoppable sword-fighting badass, you actually get to feel like an unstoppable sword-fighting badass.

CD Projekt are a real shining light in PC gaming at the moment, Witcher 2 is nearly everything I go into most Bioware games hoping for but never get.

Give me a shout when you get BF3, I am not utterly shite but it would be really nice to kind of start off with a fellow noob, you really need teamwork in it and learning with people makes it much more fun to play.

If this thread catches on it might even be fun to start a RAWK clan.

clacke:
Invested in an Alienware M18x with Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD 6990M CrossFireX a couple of months ago, and so far it's been running like a dream (touch wood!). So far I've played Dead Island, Deus Ex and Witcher 2 (also minus ubersampling) all on highest settings. Amazingly I didn't have a single issue with Dead Island - no crashes, no freezes, no bugs. It ran perfectly and loved every minute of it.
A quick break to play Uncharted 3 and then Skyrim which should keep me going til Christmas. Then Assassins Creed Revelations, Mass Effect 3 and possibly Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - keeping an eye on that one - it's looking good so far. Also excited about The Secret World MMO due next April from Funcom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version