Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2766886 times)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #57960 on: December 28, 2020, 12:17:47 am »
I'm watching Eagles @ Cowboys on the gamepass, Eagles win & Washington lose, Eagles can win the NFC East if they beat Washington next week.
what if the Eagles lose?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57961 on: December 28, 2020, 12:34:25 am »
what if the Eagles lose?

They're out of the running if they lose today against Dallas.  If the Eagles do lose, then it's Washington at 6-9, Dallas at 6-9, and NYG at 5-10.

For week 17, I think it would be:

If Washington wins, they're division winners at 7-9.  Even if the Cowboys win also and get to 7-9, Washington has the head to head tiebreak.

If Washington loses and falls to 6-10, then it comes down to the Giants-Cowboys game.  If the Cowboys win that, they're the division winners at 7-9.  If the Giants win, it's a 3-way tie at 6-10, and the Giants would have the tiebreaker with the best record in the games among the teams.
King Kenny.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #57962 on: December 28, 2020, 12:35:59 am »
Need a favour off Philly next week, can't see them beating the Redskins though, Eagles are awful, really stunk the place out today

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #57963 on: December 28, 2020, 12:37:29 am »
They're out of the running if they lose today against Dallas.  If the Eagles do lose, then it's Washington at 6-9, Dallas at 6-9, and NYG at 5-10.

If Washington wins, they're division winners at 7-9.  Even if the Cowboys win also and get to 7-9, Washington has the head to head tiebreak.

If Washington loses and falls to 6-10, then it comes down to the Giants-Cowboys game.  If the Cowboys win that, they're the division winners at 7-9.  If the Giants win, it's a 3-way tie at 6-10, and the Giants would have the tiebreaker with the best record in the games among the teams.
to be honest, none of the four really deserve to be in the playoffs and I say that as a Dallas fan

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57964 on: December 28, 2020, 12:42:01 am »
None of them deserve to be there, which is why, as a neutral they're the ultimate spoiler. They should just get blown out by whoever they play, but you never know......

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57965 on: December 28, 2020, 12:45:32 am »
Dwayne Haskins - 2nd in the Heisman. 2 years in the NFL. Max.

Guess it was 3rd.

Offline diggerling!

• believes we’re doomed to be back with the also-rans
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57966 on: December 28, 2020, 12:55:48 am »
Does anybody else feel that this sport would be hugely improved if they just painted the ball white?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57967 on: December 28, 2020, 12:55:58 am »

Guess it was 3rd.

When you're benched for multiple replacements, one of which is taylor heinecke, you know your coach doesn't want you there.

Someone will take him as a backup.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57968 on: December 28, 2020, 12:57:41 am »

That is correct

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57969 on: December 28, 2020, 01:10:43 am »
to be honest, none of the four really deserve to be in the playoffs and I say that as a Dallas fan
None of them deserve to be there, which is why, as a neutral they're the ultimate spoiler. They should just get blown out by whoever they play, but you never know......

Yep, and it can be wild.  Losing record division champs (shortened 1982 season aside) are 2-0 in the wild card round.

It's interesting as the Bucs are 10-5 (currently the fifth seed) and the Rams are 9-6, and the Rams have the tie-breaker head-to-head.  If the Rams win in Week 17 and the Bucs lose, the NFC East winner would get a Rams team that would have to travel cross-country and have a very out-of-form Jared Goff at QB.  A great game by Washington or NYG's defensive line against that Ram team, and it could be a playoff win for the NFC East!

The Giants also played the Bucs tough earlier in the season too (though they are improved recently).

Magic in Jerryworld?  Who knows?  The NFC East teams are very flawed, but they could get a flawed #5 seed at home, and it could be a good game!

Guess it was 3rd.

Rumors of NFL teams looking at Urban Meyer.  Can't wait for the Haskins reunion in the NFL.
King Kenny.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57970 on: December 28, 2020, 02:25:15 am »
Refs inventing calls to help the Packers, a tale as old as time.

Shame they can't hold their hands to a Superbowl
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57971 on: December 28, 2020, 03:07:37 am »
Refs inventing calls to help the Packers, a tale as old as time.

Shame they can't hold their hands to a Superbowl

LOLOL
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #57972 on: December 28, 2020, 07:10:41 am »
LOLOL

You forgot to change to your second account mate... ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57973 on: December 28, 2020, 07:19:08 am »
You forgot to change to your second account mate... ;D

The first post was an invisible offsides, the Lolol was when the line judge watched Aaron Jones step out of bounds and ignored it!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57974 on: December 28, 2020, 09:08:13 am »

Rumors of NFL teams looking at Urban Meyer.  Can't wait for the Haskins reunion in the NFL.
He retired twice for health reasons. I don't think he would want to take on the stress of being a head coach again, I think NFL coach then College is slightly less demanding because of the offseason work(recruiting is a lot work/travel etc, NFL offseason is a lot of film watching and traveling for combine and select pro days(normally this more front office though). Two more thing the trusted guys he normally has on his staff are not leaving Ohio State, plus I don't think his coaching style would fit into the NFL. Successful College coach doesn't mean successful NFL coach, Harbaugh worked out well for SF, Rhule I think will be good for Carolina as they matched what you look for in NFL coaches. Lincoln Riley I think would be a successful NFL coach if he ever wanted to leave. Nick Saban didnt work in the NFL(maybe different if Brees goes to Miami over New Orleans but we will never know)

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57975 on: December 28, 2020, 10:26:22 am »
odd how good teams always seem to have people saying they're favoured by officials.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57976 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:34 am »
The first post was an invisible offsides, the Lolol was when the line judge watched Aaron Jones step out of bounds and ignored it!
The thing I will say on the Jones one, is it is very clear on replay way harder in real time and what they paid for however denying a scoring chance by blowing the play dead on not being 100% sure(like if it might be a fumble let it play out) is the correct way to officiate as you cant give a touchdown back when the play is blowing down dead, One the official missed it, 2 NBC didn't show the replay fast enough so Vrabel had enough information to throw the challenge flag, the replay dude(for every team) in the booth is looking for a tv replay which has no time delay) to tell the coach what to do, also Aaron Rodgers did a great job of getting the Line of scrimmage and getting the ball off to not let them challenge.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57977 on: December 28, 2020, 01:52:56 pm »
He retired twice for health reasons. I don't think he would want to take on the stress of being a head coach again, I think NFL coach then College is slightly less demanding because of the offseason work(recruiting is a lot work/travel etc, NFL offseason is a lot of film watching and traveling for combine and select pro days(normally this more front office though). Two more thing the trusted guys he normally has on his staff are not leaving Ohio State, plus I don't think his coaching style would fit into the NFL. Successful College coach doesn't mean successful NFL coach, Harbaugh worked out well for SF, Rhule I think will be good for Carolina as they matched what you look for in NFL coaches. Lincoln Riley I think would be a successful NFL coach if he ever wanted to leave. Nick Saban didnt work in the NFL(maybe different if Brees goes to Miami over New Orleans but we will never know)

Yea, I was being a little flippant.  Don't think it would work out for Meyer.  It's probably less stressful to your point, but he may be better off just staying retired and doing TV.

Riley makes a lot of sense given his QB history at Oklahoma.  Would take a lot to get him out of Norman though.  That'd be a Kliff Kingsbury "I want your offense for my QB" type hire.

Always a lot of rumors on Pat Fitzgerald and Matt Campbell.  Both very highly regarded as leaders and culture-builders.  But, Fitzgerald may only really be interested in the Bears job if it's open (he seems pretty settled in the area and apparently turned down a Packers interview before).  The Jets FO really liked Campbell a couple of years ago.  These would be very much the Matt Rhule path of team and culture-building.  One thing I do wonder is if it translates well to the pros, where a coach, especially one without a huge profile, would be able to get everyone to buy in.  It's one thing to do it with 3-star recruits at a low P5 job, but it's another to do it at even a high P5 job, let alone a league of professionals.

But I do love teams trying new things as opposed to the same coaches over and over again, in stead of coordinators-turned-failed-HCs getting jobs again and again.  ::)

To follow up on the Goff discussion from yesterday, it sounds like the Rams are worried he broke his thumb in the late 3rd quarter yesterday.  Further testing today.  Status for the season finale is up in the air for now.
King Kenny.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57978 on: December 28, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »
To follow up on the Goff discussion from yesterday, it sounds like the Rams are worried he broke his thumb in the late 3rd quarter yesterday.  Further testing today.  Status for the season finale is up in the air for now.

Can't believe they let Bortles slip through their fingers.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57979 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:20 pm »

Definitely a tough angle for the line judge, being 3 yards away looking right at him.

Another close call, obviously. Number 46 at the top there might just about be offsides if you believe hard enough.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57980 on: December 28, 2020, 06:57:33 pm »
Cowboys winning was a blessing for me,  it's been alll about the draft picks for a few weeks, there's no sense in winning a division that bad only to be out the next game. Tank it and lose v Washington next week and we get number 5 pick I think?!

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57981 on: December 28, 2020, 06:58:48 pm »
haskins has been given the boot. it was only a matter of time.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #57982 on: December 28, 2020, 07:06:19 pm »
haskins has been given the boot. it was only a matter of time.
He came out of Ohio State a year early.

Very raw and was never going to make it.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57983 on: December 28, 2020, 07:11:21 pm »
He came out of Ohio State a year early.

Very raw and was never going to make it.

I think being a fucking knucklehead hasn't helped him either.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #57984 on: December 28, 2020, 07:33:41 pm »

This too. Interesting reading back some scouting reports on him questions over lack of starts, ability to read defence, arm strength,  slow decision making. All red flags

Still a ballsy decision
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:35:49 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57985 on: December 28, 2020, 07:49:14 pm »
The rumour at the time was that snider wanted him. And as the owner, he got his pick.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #57986 on: December 28, 2020, 07:50:15 pm »
One of the many reasons Daniel Snyder is a horseshit owner. He insisted on Haskins and as owner, he got his way.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #57987 on: December 28, 2020, 08:05:04 pm »
One of the many reasons Daniel Snyder is a horseshit owner. He insisted on Haskins and as owner, he got his way.

it is.

but to be fair it'd be towards the bottom of the list.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #57988 on: December 28, 2020, 09:32:39 pm »
Frank Gore is out for week 17, he deserves finishing his career better, than with the basket case Jets.
#Sausages

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57989 on: December 28, 2020, 09:36:47 pm »
Yea, I was being a little flippant.  Don't think it would work out for Meyer.  It's probably less stressful to your point, but he may be better off just staying retired and doing TV.

Riley makes a lot of sense given his QB history at Oklahoma.  Would take a lot to get him out of Norman though.  That'd be a Kliff Kingsbury "I want your offense for my QB" type hire.

Always a lot of rumors on Pat Fitzgerald and Matt Campbell.  Both very highly regarded as leaders and culture-builders.  But, Fitzgerald may only really be interested in the Bears job if it's open (he seems pretty settled in the area and apparently turned down a Packers interview before).  The Jets FO really liked Campbell a couple of years ago.  These would be very much the Matt Rhule path of team and culture-building.  One thing I do wonder is if it translates well to the pros, where a coach, especially one without a huge profile, would be able to get everyone to buy in.  It's one thing to do it with 3-star recruits at a low P5 job, but it's another to do it at even a high P5 job, let alone a league of professionals.

But I do love teams trying new things as opposed to the same coaches over and over again, in stead of coordinators-turned-failed-HCs getting jobs again and again.  ::)

Pat Fitzgerald is at his alma mater so him leaving would be surprising, bears job I would get it. Matt Rhule's team going back to Temple always seemed like a good fit for the NFL. I think Campbell would be good in the NFL but one thing his teams have been built on pretty consistently  is winning a lot of 50/50 ball with guys that just bigger, He has 3 Tes and a 6'6 WR at Iowa State who all over 6'6 and good pass catchers, I'm not sure his offenses translates as well to the NFL and Heacock Defense the scheme that brought a lot of success at Iowa State don't think that translates as well to the NFL level. Prudy also really good at making plays off the pocket as a passer also.  Campbell probably find more NFL coordinators that fit if he took a job.

Riley I mean OU mostly can match the salary of any NFL team and also NFL job is way less secure then being at Oklahoma.  Just is preference for Riley

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #57990 on: December 28, 2020, 10:03:25 pm »
Frank Gore is out for week 17, he deserves finishing his career better, than with the basket case Jets.
Imagine thinking that Frank Gore is going to retire.

The earth will be engulfed by the sun as it turns into a red giant before Frank Gore will retire.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57991 on: December 28, 2020, 10:35:22 pm »

He should sign as a backup on a playoff-caliber team next year.

Let's face it, he's not a lead back for any team (unless your team is coached by Adam Gase).  But would be a great role model and part time contributor (and in short-yardage situations) on a good team.
King Kenny.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57992 on: December 28, 2020, 10:53:52 pm »

Yep.  If Haskins showed professionalism and ability to learn from mistakes, he'd be around for a while, even if his performances aren't up to par.  The fact that he's such a head case, and his performances are awful, it's a long way back for him.

Pat Fitzgerald is at his alma mater so him leaving would be surprising, bears job I would get it. Matt Rhule's team going back to Temple always seemed like a good fit for the NFL. I think Campbell would be good in the NFL but one thing his teams have been built on pretty consistently  is winning a lot of 50/50 ball with guys that just bigger, He has 3 Tes and a 6'6 WR at Iowa State who all over 6'6 and good pass catchers, I'm not sure his offenses translates as well to the NFL and Heacock Defense the scheme that brought a lot of success at Iowa State don't think that translates as well to the NFL level. Prudy also really good at making plays off the pocket as a passer also.  Campbell probably find more NFL coordinators that fit if he took a job.

Riley I mean OU mostly can match the salary of any NFL team and also NFL job is way less secure then being at Oklahoma.  Just is preference for Riley

Yea, it's hard to imagine Fitzgerald leaving Northwestern, certainly not for another college program.  For the NFL, maybe only the Bears fit as a good situation for him, but even then, he might not be interested in the organization.

Interesting about Campbell and Iowa State.  You'd definitely be getting him to run that CEO role as HC and get NFL playcallers that suits what he'd want to run.  It would be interesting to see what kind of vision he'd have for running a NFL team.

The two things I can see that could make Riley a candidate in the near future is that his type of QB play and offensive schemes have gained traction in the NFL (so it's not a huge mismatch), and that he's still really young (only 37).  He's established himself as a premier college coach, so if he wants, he can make that jump to the NFL  when he feels ready, and then eventually he can return to a top P5 job in college if he wants out of the NFL.

Don't know if he likes or dislikes recruiting or if he gets annoyed dealing with boosters.  That could also propel him to try professional football.  Whatever the case, it seems like a great position to be in for him, staying at OU or jumping to the NFL.
King Kenny.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57993 on: December 28, 2020, 11:41:11 pm »
Imagine thinking that Frank Gore is going to retire.

The earth will be engulfed by the sun as it turns into a red giant before Frank Gore will retire.
His son was the leading rusher as freshman at Southern Miss he may be able to stay around to until his son makes it too the nfl and can play with him

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57994 on: December 28, 2020, 11:59:01 pm »
Yep.  If Haskins showed professionalism and ability to learn from mistakes, he'd be around for a while, even if his performances aren't up to par.  The fact that he's such a head case, and his performances are awful, it's a long way back for him.

Yea, it's hard to imagine Fitzgerald leaving Northwestern, certainly not for another college program.  For the NFL, maybe only the Bears fit as a good situation for him, but even then, he might not be interested in the organization.

Interesting about Campbell and Iowa State.  You'd definitely be getting him to run that CEO role as HC and get NFL playcallers that suits what he'd want to run.  It would be interesting to see what kind of vision he'd have for running a NFL team.

The two things I can see that could make Riley a candidate in the near future is that his type of QB play and offensive schemes have gained traction in the NFL (so it's not a huge mismatch), and that he's still really young (only 37).  He's established himself as a premier college coach, so if he wants, he can make that jump to the NFL  when he feels ready, and then eventually he can return to a top P5 job in college if he wants out of the NFL.

Don't know if he likes or dislikes recruiting or if he gets annoyed dealing with boosters.  That could also propel him to try professional football.  Whatever the case, it seems like a great position to be in for him, staying at OU or jumping to the NFL.
Haskins hopefully get another chance somewhere as a back up, where he mature and develop, He threw 50 TD at Ohio State after beating out Joe Burrow just 2 years ago. NFL can really stand for Not for long at times
Campbell agreed as NFL.
Riley could legit by the 2024 NFL draft he coached 4 #1 Overall Picks as QB and 3+ first round Wrs(Lamb,Brown) He has multiple WRs on Roster now that can develop into that plus some high profile recruits coming in. He helped Developed one already in Baker, Maximized Murray strengths and helped improved in his only starting season(He backed up baker for a year). Now He coaching his first QB he got from HS in Rattler who looked he can be a #1 Overall Pick and has the #1 QB in the 2021 Recruiting class coming in who will likely backup Rattler for a year before starting. Also he helped Develop(Along with Bama coaching staff) Jalen Hurts who was second round and looks he should be a starting QB in the NFL. Just going to be his choice what he wants to do, I do think he wants win a national title, which is not easy with Saban and Dabo but he finally got a defense at Oklahoma which is the first time he had that since he been there.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #57995 on: December 29, 2020, 01:55:51 am »
His son was the leading rusher as freshman at Southern Miss he may be able to stay around to until his son makes it too the nfl and can play with him
It's another LeBron and Bronny situation too I think.

God this game is terrible. It's amazing the crap you can watch when you don't have to get up in the morning. High schoolers are better at catching the ball than these guys tonight.
Patriots are a badly coached team too - indefensible offsides and missing fake punt formations that can be seen from space.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57996 on: December 29, 2020, 03:54:35 am »
It's another LeBron and Bronny situation too I think.

God this game is terrible. It's amazing the crap you can watch when you don't have to get up in the morning. High schoolers are better at catching the ball than these guys tonight.
Patriots are a badly coached team too - indefensible offsides and missing fake punt formations that can be seen from space.
Pats are coached well they do have a lot of young coaches outside of Bill and Mcdaniels and lack of talent at the Skill positions, They have 1 guy that should be an NFL WR basically at this point, and none at TE. You can have best scheme, game plan etc but you lack talent and the QB it not going to look good vs better teams

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #57997 on: December 29, 2020, 04:05:01 am »
they could do a lot worse than trade for Darnold

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #57998 on: December 29, 2020, 12:43:52 pm »
There still seems to be a few issues that haven't been resolved yet for the playoffs & division titles.

I think the Colts will miss out on the AFC playoffs, with a 10-6 record.

I think the Bears will miss out on the NFC playoffs, the Cardinals will beat the Rams.  I think the Cowboys will win the NFC East.

I'm going for a Chiefs/Seahawks Superbowl, with the Chiefs to retain it, with an easy victory.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #57999 on: December 29, 2020, 01:13:54 pm »

One of them will be home to Tampa so it's not impossible. However Tampa are playing better away than at home so it doesn't look likely.