Author Topic: West Ham United vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Sun 9th Dec (Away)  (Read 58368 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

vs   

West Ham United. The Hammers. Knees up Mother Brown, Pearly Kings and Queens and them softies The Krays. You couldn’t get a club more East London if you tried is what they would say out in Essex! The club that launched some people’s careers whilst sinking others in Iceland a few years back. I almost could have been a West Ham fan in my life but that is for a different day and a different story (coming soon to a RAWK forum near you rated PG). It was 90 secs that changed my life and stopped me from being a West Ham fan and I am forever indebted to the divine powers that intervened that fateful day (even if I was tortured and traumatised).

Early memories of them?

Other than purple, some old players such as Sir Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds and blowing bubbles I don’t have much more. Tony Cottee I guess too and for balance Alvin Martin. A Merseysider born and bred and then just kind of went down south and never came back. I’m going with people who’ve played for them since I’ve been alive by the way!  They seemed a blur to me through the 80s but then it was the days the Big Match would be dominated by us for good reason – I only ever watched us play and at the age of around 9-10 who could blame me?

From the 90s though that changed a little but still only really tuned into our matches. They were more a submarine than a football team forever coming up and then going down from recollection for the first half of that decade. Then came ‘Arry. Along with that I guess the only other thing I can remember is their production line of Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, a duck billed platypus to name but a few and then obligatory migration. Some even came to Liverpool for a season or longer. Julian Dicks, Neil Ruddock etc. We can’t really say they made up for that with Mascherano as he wasn’t really theirs to begin with but given it’s the festive Christmas period I’m willing to give them that one  ;D

A few players have gone the other way other than the big Geordie. Rigobert Song and Craig Bellamy spring to mind

My First visit to Upton Park was in Feb 2003. They had our old keeper then David James and some players who came our way many years later in the form of Glen Johnson and Joe Cole. Defoe was also in their squad. I didn’t know what to expect from either side to be honest. West Ham in an obligatory relegation scrap already and we were battling towards the top (either above or just below CL positions). I didn’t expect to be up 2-0 in the first 10 mins but was absolutely buzzing. Bubbles burst of most Hammers and shouts for Roeder Out. First half as well!

Heskey compounded their misery. 3-0. I left buzzing. We ruined their big day out a few years after that too in an FA Cup final

Modern day Hammers. Well they went down a few years back and led to James Corden blubbing on the radio about the owners. They didn't leave without kicking us in the teeth with a 3-1 loss at the Boleyn ground  :no. Now with the Big Sam show back in town after returning to the Premiership courtesy of the play offs, the Hammers have been relatively good form. Blipped slightly prior to the Chelsea win but the match showed they will be happy to press up and get stuck in.

We’ve been similar to some degree in our last 5 results and they’re only 3 points ahead of us so it’s a game we need to win. With Lucas back we’re more assured of ourselves and the big question now is how do we solve a problem without Suarez? He gives us goals, creativity, menace, a persistent threat on and off the ball. Will we see the cojones of Brendan and him playing Stevie G as a striker? I’m hoping he planned for this day as soon as Suarez got to four yellow cards. It is a very interesting place to be indeed both as a fan and as a team. We’ve coped without him before but then had luxuries that are now at pastures new. Our nerves though should hold out. They may be jittery due to West Ham’s result at the weekend but at least it’s a scenario that we are playing out in actuality. It was always either an injury or 5th yellow card away.

They. Draw against Stoke, subsequent losses to Spurs and Man Utd, Win against Chelsea.

Us. Win against Wigan, Draw against Swansea, Loss against Spurs, Win against Southampton. Still wrong side of the table but the glass half full outweighs the one half empty. The Southampton match showed this

Of the last 3 seasons where the Hammers have been in the Premiership, the winning team has scored 3 goals. We’ve won more than we have lost (that bloody one in 2011). If that trend is one that carries into this match it will definitely be a cracker at the Boleyn Ground.

Predictions are always a funny thing. Too optimistic and you’re seen as out of touch. Pessimistic and we’re not getting behind the team. The reality is never really in between… it’s in what you believe. I believe we will always win. So 6-0 with a Steven Gerrard hat-trick and goals from Enrique, Johnson and overhead special from Suso  :)

Oh and Andy Carroll. Gone but not forgotten. This is what is in the Home Team changing room at Anfield as I discovered during a courtesy tour a month or so ago.

I think it’s the same at West Ham (though they've seen less of him than us on the pitch).

PS. We never discuss mascots given ours is really for the kids but I’ll tell you one thing – Mighty Red would kick the shit out of Bubbles the Bear. I mean look at this guy…

« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 12:36:52 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: West Ham United vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Sun 9th Dec (Away)
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2012, 11:05:15 pm »
Great preview mate.
Yep.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2012, 11:37:51 pm »
Bubbles the Bear - FML
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2012, 11:42:01 pm »
Just stick one in (an own goal would be perfect for me) and get the three points, nothing more  ;D
Great OP Harinder  :wave
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2012, 11:46:45 pm »
great op mate.  talking of memories against westham i will never forget gerrards fa cup final apperance against them.  hope he can wind back the years and pull out a performance even half as good as that, we'll need someone to with suarez out.  also hope skrtel gets caught in a tussle on the sideline and accidently takes out bubbles the bear  :).

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2012, 12:17:25 am »
jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
We have to stay in italy :((((((((((((((

Have to call off training tomorrow? The 2 recovery days are tight as it is, hope this doesn't affect our chances on Sunday.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2012, 12:23:24 am »
Back to Earth with a bump

West Ham 2 - Liverpool 0

But at least we'll win our next match
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2012, 12:24:15 am »
Probably the trickiest fixture we have in our upcoming run. West Ham have done quite well this season. With the squad now being stuck in Italy overnight, a draw at Upton Park would be a great result under the circumstances. A win fantastic.

PS. We never discuss mascots given ours is really for the kids but I’ll tell you one thing – Mighty Red would kick the shit out of Bubbles the Bear. I mean look at this guy…

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2012, 12:24:36 am »
I like the bear...
Anyway, think this'll be a scrappy 1-0 to either team, just not sure which. Have faith though!

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2012, 12:36:02 am »
I like the bear...
Anyway, think this'll be a scrappy 1-0 to either team, just not sure which. Have faith though!

That bear is just wrong.

The hammers capitulated easily against Swansea in the early season. When they are pushed on they don't like it (albeit this tactic worked for them against Chelsea).

I think this match is made for Enrique to muscle past players and break into holes or create some.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: December 7, 2012, 12:36:28 am »
Important game, no doubt about it. A win without Suarez would be great for the confidence of the other players. A week of wins would be even more so!

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2012, 12:41:28 am »
I think we'll dominate them and it'll come down to whoever takes their chances.

I think I'm just stating the obvious  ???

0-1 to us. Gerrard. Time to get a goal Stevie.

Was our last away when Carragher got that own goal or was it a penalty?  1-0 to them anyway. I was at the game and was the closest to pissing myself that I've ever been on the tube.

Fond memories

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2012, 12:48:57 am »
Lucas will be SO important for this one. All the knockdowns. I would like it if we put 3 CBs in. Wouldn't be totally adverse to putting Carra in as he defended the box superbly (along with the even more impressive Skrtel) vs Udinese. Could see the argument for putting Wisdom in at RB with Johnson and Enrique on the left as well. Be really interesting to see what Rodgers does.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2012, 12:52:22 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
We have to stay in italy :((((((((((((((

Have to call off training tomorrow? The 2 recovery days are tight as it is, hope this doesn't affect our chances on Sunday.
Hopefully shouldn't have to much of an effect. They'll be a light training tomorrow afternoon I'd guess, plus one Saturday morning, then get train down Saturday afternoon.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
Just like any Fat Sam team they will be tough and will pressure us the whole game, we will have to fight for it there, no game for lightweight players, have to beat them in midfield and not get outgunned

Expect us to keep the ball most of the game and nick it, possibly a set piece.

Put Gerrard up top
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2012, 01:14:16 am »
I think we may see Stevie pushed forward.  We have gained Lucas and are without Suarez.  We need some sort of goal threat and Stevie still possesses that.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2012, 02:35:26 am »
I have a feeling he'll play Shelvey up front.

« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2012, 02:51:01 am »
Only question as far as the lineup for this will be who will partner Jonjo and sterling upfront

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2012, 02:54:29 am »
Aldo made the point of playing 2 up top and I for one would definately go with that. If we play 3 at the back with the full backs providing the width theirs no reason we cant cause them problems. Getting runners into the box and supporting the front man will be key, just hope we can take our chances. A win would give the team a massive lift and set us up perfectly for the busy christmas schedule.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2012, 03:10:42 am »
Aldo made the point of playing 2 up top and I for one would definately go with that. If we play 3 at the back with the full backs providing the width theirs no reason we cant cause them problems. Getting runners into the box and supporting the front man will be key, just hope we can take our chances. A win would give the team a massive lift and set us up perfectly for the busy christmas schedule.

Be so much easier if we had two strikers! If we were doing that then Shelvey and Sterling would probably get the nod. Wouldn't be the worst thing. Maybe Wisdom or Coates at one of the CBs instead of Carra as another game might be a bit too much. I could see it working, with Lucas and Allen dominating the middle and Gerrard joining Shelvey and Sterling up top. Might be the best way in which we could get goals. I think a 5-3-2 would work so much better with Lucas in the middle than it had been before. Would allow us to really press up field and leave Gerrard up there.

« Last Edit: December 7, 2012, 03:12:31 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2012, 05:40:13 am »
I have a feeling he'll play Shelvey up front.

Shelvey is a massive Hammer i think??

didnt he say he hated Stevie G when he scored in 2006?
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #21 on: December 7, 2012, 05:42:42 am »
Just like any Fat Sam team they will be tough and will pressure us the whole game, we will have to fight for it there, no game for lightweight players, have to beat them in midfield and not get outgunned

Expect us to keep the ball most of the game and nick it, possibly a set piece.

Put Gerrard up top

Massive shout, i agree with this... Gerrard and Sterling up front!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #22 on: December 7, 2012, 06:32:54 am »
Fucking keen to see Gerrard up front, think he'd do a boss job there. Best finisher in the side, one of the smartest runners.. If he gets a chance you'd back him bury it.
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline VAred

• Main Stander
  • Hope is a waking dream
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2012, 06:39:36 am »
A win would just be massive wouldn't it?  Two league wins in a row ahhhh it's been too long dear.  ;D
The opposite of left

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2012, 06:40:35 am »
Hopefully shouldn't have to much of an effect. They'll be a light training tomorrow afternoon I'd guess, plus one Saturday morning, then get train down Saturday afternoon.

Shouldn't be. There was always probably going to be recovery on Friday and a session for those that didn't play. We just have to get on with it.

Lucas, Agger and Gerrard stayed behind and they will all play. Sterling should be relatively fresh as he only played 20 mins.

So that's 4 of the 11 still pretty fresh. Shelvey would have been too if Sahin wouldn't have got injured.
YWNA

Offline aliotman

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2012, 07:18:02 am »
As many fresh legs as possble
Gerrald, Lucas, Assaidi, Wisdom, Agger+ Sterling, Allen, Erique, Skrtel, Johnson
With Enrique as our false no 9 ;D

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #26 on: December 7, 2012, 07:41:38 am »
flying back this afternoon apparently - not good preparation at all

Online Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2012, 07:59:24 am »
Would probably play lucas, Henderson and Allen in midfield with gerrard, sterling and suso up top. All three swapping throughout the match, gerrard and suso dropping deeper when uptop but sterling on the last man when he's up top

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #28 on: December 7, 2012, 08:13:22 am »
No worries with Lucas back , keep it tight and do them 0-1

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 7, 2012, 08:22:23 am »
Brilliant read that Harinder, thanks.

West Ham outplayed us last we were there during that good run under Kenny. Lucas was trying his best to be a 1 man midfield but he was overrun. Both different teams now though so hopefully there'll be no repeat.

Interesting to see the team come Sunday. I reckon it'll be Shelvey up top but I'm hoping for Gerrard as the latter is the much better finisher. Hard to see where the goals will come from. Hopefully we'll see that long overdue Gerrard (p) on the scoresheet.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 7, 2012, 08:24:25 am »
Bubbles the Bear - FML

;D

On a side note, Carroll is ineligible against us right?

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #31 on: December 7, 2012, 08:29:45 am »
;D

On a side note, Carroll is ineligible against us right?

He is injured anyway
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #32 on: December 7, 2012, 08:46:34 am »
Good OP.

This is a tough game at the best of times but will be even tougher after playing last night and without our only fit striker.

Personally I would play Shelvey up front; he played quite well there against Young Boys, scored a goal and done some nice touches to set others up.

Hate playing against any team 'fat Sam' manages.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline And CouldHe Play!

• but not And Could He Play, different bloke entirely.
  • Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #33 on: December 7, 2012, 08:48:35 am »
Glad Lucas is back, but Sunday games haven't been kind this season and the flight delays won't help. 50/50 draw/lose
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 7, 2012, 08:52:40 am »
Glad Lucas is back, but Sunday games haven't been kind this season and the flight delays won't help. 50/50 draw/lose
I wouldn't be too unhappy with a point.

I'd play a back 3 for this one with Coates brought in and Johnson/Enrique pushed high. If we can deal with the high ball we should be able to control these.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #35 on: December 7, 2012, 09:14:28 am »
So West Ham are in good form and we're having to stay extra in italy. Not the best of prospects to be honest.

Great Op Harinder, a really good read!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #36 on: December 7, 2012, 09:14:55 am »
Not ideal preparation being stuck in Italy overnight.  Hopefully wont affect them to much and we get the win on Subday.   2 - 1 to us. 
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Evans

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2012, 09:20:35 am »
I don't have a great feeling about this. West Ham have been playing decently at home the last few games, beating Chelsea and drawing City and Stoke. The flight delay will not do us any good either - but a rested trio of Agger, Lucas and Gerrard should ideally be able to give us the edge to take the three points. Pretty much a 50/50 situation for me as well this thing really.

It's the kinda games we need to win if we're gonna start climbing up the table though. Also, Everton are playing Tottenham, and Arsenal are playing West Brom, so there are pointes to be gained here no matter what.

Offline VAred

• Main Stander
  • Hope is a waking dream
« Reply #38 on: December 7, 2012, 09:20:38 am »
I wouldn't be too unhappy with a point.

I'd play a back 3 for this one with Coates brought in and Johnson/Enrique pushed high. If we can deal with the high ball we should be able to control these.
This!  Between Lucas defensive headers and the addition Coates our defense should be rock solid.
The opposite of left

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 7, 2012, 09:20:53 am »
We'll have a fresh Agger, Lucas and Gerrard which is a bonus. A little worried about how the midfielders will cope like Allen, Shelvey & Hendo after pretty all playing a full 90 mins and you can guarentee people will be saying they "look tired" if they don't put in a big performance. Sterling should be fresh and maybe Assaidi will be worth a punt? Probably take a point now but I'll want all 3 come match day. Would love us to just go out there not give them a sniff and stick 2 or 3 past them.