Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129883 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60920 on: October 11, 2019, 02:16:59 pm »
Seen the video of his crash on Youtube from a security camera from about 3-4 angles.

What a lucky lucky man to survive that.

You could say his conditioning and physique saved his life.
Dunno about that. No amount of conditioning is saving you if you smash your head on concrete at 90mph. He just got very, very lucky, and probably got dumped out on the grass as soon as the car tipped.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60921 on: October 11, 2019, 04:22:10 pm »
Frampton back in the ring on 30th November in Las Vegas. Opponent to be confirmed.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60922 on: October 11, 2019, 09:21:19 pm »
Fury "fighting" on WWE in Saudi Arabia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50022470

Former unified world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury will compete against Braun Strowman at a WWE event in Saudi Arabia on 31 October.

Fury, 31, has appeared twice on WWE in recent weeks and has already started a feud with Strowman.

Speaking at the announcement of their bout, Fury said: "I fear no man. I am going to knock Strowman out."

Strowman, whose real name is Adam Scherr, said: "Tyson heed my warning. In the WWE, we don't wear gloves."

He added: "You are climbing into my world. You are a household name and when these hands put you down for good, the whole world will remember who the monster among men Braun Strowman is."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60923 on: October 11, 2019, 11:58:26 pm »
It#s absolutely farcical and worse of all it wont work

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60924 on: October 12, 2019, 09:58:47 am »
Ever since Fury boxed Wilder and he went down its like him and his team have thought damn we were lucky, this ride isn't going to last for long so let's fight bums and milk as much money as we can.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60925 on: October 12, 2019, 05:43:54 pm »
A mate said earlier that he read a report that claimed him not wearing a seat belt actually prevented him from getting more serious injuries.

That used to be the argument in motorsports:  That you were better off being flung out of the vehicle.  These days road-going race cars manage to protect the driver even as the car collapses.  Why would you not wear a seatbelt in a 200 mph car, ffs?

Online stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #60926 on: October 12, 2019, 10:02:24 pm »
Any streams for the Warrington fight

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60927 on: October 12, 2019, 11:31:25 pm »
Well done Josh

Impressive again

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60928 on: October 12, 2019, 11:37:38 pm »
Impressive display that from Warrington again.

Online stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #60929 on: October 12, 2019, 11:49:35 pm »
Found one in the end very impressive again from Warrington

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60930 on: October 13, 2019, 01:24:46 pm »
Ever since Fury boxed Wilder and he went down its like him and his team have thought damn we were lucky, this ride isn't going to last for long so let's fight bums and milk as much money as we can.

It was Wilder who got lucky in that fight.

Usyk will cause some problems for the big guys with his speed and movement, all depends what happens if one of them can get near enough to land

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60931 on: October 13, 2019, 02:24:33 pm »
It was Wilder who got lucky in that fight.

Usyk will cause some problems for the big guys with his speed and movement, all depends what happens if one of them can get near enough to land

I know it's not the same, but Usyk has taken some big shots from the likes of Breidis and Gassiev, they are HW tier punchers.  Wilder and AJ are another thing entirely, but I think Usyk's chin has been tested.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60932 on: October 13, 2019, 02:43:27 pm »
I know it's not the same, but Usyk has taken some big shots from the likes of Breidis and Gassiev, they are HW tier punchers.  Wilder and AJ are another thing entirely, but I think Usyk's chin has been tested.

Watched a documentary called Facing Ali last night with the likes of Foreman, Frazier, Norton etc talking about their fights with The Greatest. I don't think any one of them was over 16st at their peaks and yet they'd all wipe the floor with the current crop of heavyweights. I think you're right about Usyk and I expect him to have a title belt or 2 by this time next year.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #60933 on: October 13, 2019, 05:08:05 pm »
Warrington is quite the talent isn't he.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #60934 on: October 13, 2019, 07:00:54 pm »

I didn't think much of his fight last night. Against a not very good Chazz, who was called up at the last moment, he showed that he didn't have much power at HW, and could only rely on his foot to find angles. He will face fighters with much bigger reach and much more power than an half-arsed Chazz, who didn't show anything.

Usyk only gets used to the weight class, so we will see, but I am not 100% confident, given the physical beasts in the division.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60935 on: October 13, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »
I didn't think much of his fight last night. Against a not very good Chazz, who was called up at the last moment, he showed that he didn't have much power at HW, and could only rely on his foot to find angles. He will face fighters with much bigger reach and much more power than an half-arsed Chazz, who didn't show anything.

Usyk only gets used to the weight class, so we will see, but I am not 100% confident, given the physical beasts in the division.

I don't think he was a massive puncher at CW to be fair.  But people seem to talk about him like he's a midget when he's a big guy at 6'3".  Taller than Ruiz for example.  And he weighed in at 215lbs which is heavier than Wilder normally is.

My one concern with him is he seems to take unnecessary shots sometimes.  I'd probably back him against the winner of Ruiz/AJ and Fury as well, but I could see him getting caught with something daft from Wilder.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60936 on: October 14, 2019, 12:29:53 pm »
Fury "fighting" on WWE in Saudi Arabia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50022470

Former unified world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury will compete against Braun Strowman at a WWE event in Saudi Arabia on 31 October.

Fury, 31, has appeared twice on WWE in recent weeks and has already started a feud with Strowman.

Speaking at the announcement of their bout, Fury said: "I fear no man. I am going to knock Strowman out."

Strowman, whose real name is Adam Scherr, said: "Tyson heed my warning. In the WWE, we don't wear gloves."

He added: "You are climbing into my world. You are a household name and when these hands put you down for good, the whole world will remember who the monster among men Braun Strowman is."

The fucker was giving Aj grief for fighting in Saudi Arabia.  ;D Atleast Aj's fight will be real and not choreographed.

Also Tyson Fury = Giant Gonzalez  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60937 on: October 14, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »
The fucker was giving Aj grief for fighting in Saudi Arabia.  ;D Atleast Aj's fight will be real and not choreographed.

Also Tyson Fury = Giant Gonzalez  ;D

To be fair, the Saudi's and Tyson Fury share a lot of the same opinions...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60938 on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »
 ;D

I'm expecting Wilder to come in with a steel chair to make it a Triple Threat match.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60939 on: October 14, 2019, 03:36:59 pm »
He's probably making more in this fake match than he will for his last two fights combined. He's a joke, atleast when Mike Tyson went to WWE he had a major impact and boosted his profile.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60940 on: October 15, 2019, 07:17:33 am »
Crawford v Kavaliauskas
Commey v Lopez
Conlan v Nikitin

MSG 14th December

i'll be there that weekend so will probably go

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60941 on: October 15, 2019, 10:03:50 am »
He's probably making more in this fake match than he will for his last two fights combined. He's a joke, atleast when Mike Tyson went to WWE he had a major impact and boosted his profile.

Except he's doing exactly what he needs to do. He's getting his name out there to a wider US audience because he knows that's where the money is. This hatred of Fury always makes me laugh

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60942 on: October 15, 2019, 02:03:40 pm »
Except he's doing exactly what he needs to do. He's getting his name out there to a wider US audience because he knows that's where the money is. This hatred of Fury always makes me laugh
Don’t hate him at all. If he really wanted to boost his profile in the US, he would’ve done this at Wrestlemania. This thing just comes across as a quick cash-grab. Apparently he’s making £12m for this, insane amount of money

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60943 on: October 15, 2019, 02:23:15 pm »
I doubt he would even be making much for it to be honest. Defo nothing like the reported $12m he is said to be making through this deal. Lesnar gets $12m a year, about $500k a match.

This is too cynical a match up to work in terms of profile. One arguement and now they are fighting.  ::)

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #60944 on: October 15, 2019, 11:23:08 pm »
I don't think he was a massive puncher at CW to be fair.  But people seem to talk about him like he's a midget when he's a big guy at 6'3".  Taller than Ruiz for example.  And he weighed in at 215lbs which is heavier than Wilder normally is.

My one concern with him is he seems to take unnecessary shots sometimes.  I'd probably back him against the winner of Ruiz/AJ and Fury as well, but I could see him getting caught with something daft from Wilder.

Ruiz is the smallest of the « big guns » of the division. Usyk is used to be at par with his opponent, while in the HW he will be below either on height (not a problem), reach (more of a problem) and/or weight.

I totally agree with you when you write that he takes unnecessary shots, and those shots can hurt in the HW division. Will he have enough legs to escape those shots, as a Fury did against Wilder? I am not sure: even with good legs, you need to have something to throw.

I am looking forward to see more of him in this division!
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60945 on: October 15, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »
Watched a documentary called Facing Ali last night with the likes of Foreman, Frazier, Norton etc talking about their fights with The Greatest. I don't think any one of them was over 16st at their peaks and yet they'd all wipe the floor with the current crop of heavyweights. I think you're right about Usyk and I expect him to have a title belt or 2 by this time next year.
I keep making this point. Size doesn't mean all that much (I mean a few pounds and inches here and there) when you are light years ahead of the opposition. The younger slimmer version of Foreman would be 'small' by today's standards but would bulldoze the division. Ditto Sonny Liston to be honest.

If Usyk has the punch resistance, he will win at least one, if not all, of the HW belts.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #60946 on: October 16, 2019, 11:01:48 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50066825

RIP

Boxer Patrick Day has died at the age of 27 - four days after sustaining head injuries in a fight against Charles Conwell.

The American was put in a coma with a serious brain injury on Saturday after he was knocked out in the 10th round of his super welterweight bout in Chicago.

Promoter Lou DiBella confirmed Day had died on Wednesday "surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team".

"He was a son, brother, and good friend to many," said a statement.

"Pat's kindness, positivity, and generosity of spirit made a lasting impression with everyone he met."

Day was taken from the ring on a stretcher after the conclusion of the fight on the undercard of Oleksandr Usyk heavyweight victory over Chazz Witherspoon in the US.

Fellow American Conwell, 21, wrote an emotional letter to Day following the fight.

"I never meant this to happen to you, all I wanted to do was win," he said.

"If I could take it all back, I would. No-one deserves this to happen to them."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60947 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:57 pm »
Horrible news

Rest in peace young man

Just shows what a risk these guys take whenever they step in a ring
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60948 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:00 pm »
Grim as fuck that.

RIP

Puts into perspective anyone saying any fighter is a  coward
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60949 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:39 pm »
Such a shame.... RIP  :(
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60950 on: October 17, 2019, 04:08:38 am »
Terrible news. Rest in peace.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60951 on: October 17, 2019, 07:26:20 am »
Crawford v Kavaliauskas
Commey v Lopez
Conlan v Nikitin

MSG 14th December

i'll be there that weekend so will probably go

Got my tickets sorted fro this,

floor levels for $106, cant go wrong

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60952 on: October 17, 2019, 09:03:54 am »
Is he Wolverine or something? Wow  :o I hope that is true; and I hope the lad wears his seatbelt from now on!

By the way, Usyk makes his heavyweight debut this weekend against Chazz Witherspoon. Witherspoon stepped in on Tuesday because Usyk's original opponent tested positive for drugs  ::) Anyway, should be a nice, soft introduction for him and I would expect a big step up in class in 2020.

Hope he doesn't drink driving again.

Errol Spence Jr has been charged with drink driving
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:11:52 pm by Fordy »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60953 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:30 am »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60954 on: October 17, 2019, 11:57:09 am »
RIP Patrick Day

Spence needs to hang his head in shame. What an idiot.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #60955 on: October 18, 2019, 01:55:13 pm »
RIP young man. He was a credit to himself and the sport by all accounts. Very sad indeed.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60956 on: October 19, 2019, 10:54:33 pm »
Well done 'Fitzy'..   .. new british champion..  Scott Fitzgerald vs. Ted Cheeseman British Junior Middleweight Title
he's a local lad for me, a sound lad too  :thumbup
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60957 on: October 24, 2019, 05:20:14 pm »
Going to the Taylor Prograis fight at the weekend and looking forward to it. Who has everyone got?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60958 on: October 24, 2019, 05:45:22 pm »
Going to the Taylor Prograis fight at the weekend and looking forward to it. Who has everyone got?

Taylor for me but looking forward to a great scrap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60959 on: October 24, 2019, 09:06:27 pm »
Chisora is such a fucking idiot. Says stuff like this just a week after another boxer dies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50174257